Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, I've been lurking hard because I need to get a hold of my budget.

Monthly Income: 4838

Expenses:
Rent: 625 but going to 800 next month as we move with a potential month of overlap.
Utilities: 250
Internet:60
TV: $55( I might cut this out)
Cell: Varies but seems to hover at $60
Eating out/Bars: 755 ( I need to get this under control, but this is basically spending for two people, it's still outrageous)
Groceries: $500
Student Loan $50
Credit consolidation loan: 308 (This was a giant mistake to take out, I had $10k of an old credit card that turned into a court judgement, that I couldn't get a hold of the people who owned the debt, not that I was looking for them. They finally found me and I settled for 50% but had already applied for and gotten the loan just in case I got hit with the full amount) it has $1000 left and I haven't hit the first month I might pay it off right now.
Other Expenses:
ACLU: $100 I am cancelling this, it was a drunken reaction to Muslim Ban
VPS: $5
Other VPS: $8
Allowance to my sister: $150
Shopping? Averaging $700 a month over the last 3 months, but last month included a new laptop. This tends to be a mix of splurges for me and household related items.

Credit card 1 1300 at 0%
Credit card 2 2800 at 20% with 6 months interest free on new purchases. Right now that's $550 of the total.
I usually pay this off in full, but I shifted money around to pay off the debt right now, as well as buying $1000 of non recurring purchases on it.

Credit consolidation loan 1000 at 12%

So basically I am at break even most months, have out of control spending eating out, and tend to pay for 2 people a lot because my gf makes half of what I do and is also in grad school. She's in theoretical debt to me to the tune of $3k but I know I'll never see the money and to her credit the majority(aka all) of the cooking in the household is done by her. She should also be getting a raise soon which should also hopefully even out our spending.

I also don't think she gets how much we spend so I am trying to shift as much of the joint expenses as possible onto a shared account, and it's somewhat working, but she also thinks I'm stealing all her money.

Goals save $2k a month, cut eating out down. Shift expenses onto shared account so that getting buy into reigning in spending is easier as well as split between us. I don't think my girlfriend gets how much I just take care of.

Edit: Cash on hand $4400 with rent already taken out. I keep this somewhat high as I work at a startup and am always terrified that for one reason or another we'll miss payroll. Ideally I'd like to keep 5k on hand, paydown all my debit and increase that to $10k and invest the rest.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I should clarify, my first post was somewhat confusing because I was trying to pull data from mint, and type it all up using my iPad.

I took out one credit consolidation loan at $6500 when a law firm that held old credit card debit(in the form of a court order) of mine popped out of the blue asking for 10k. I then negotiated that down to 50% of the total, but had already taken out the loan because I was scared shitless of wage garnishment. I basically hosed off from a good job in my early 20s and was super poor for awhile because I thought I was going to "save the world". This is my last debt from that time period.

It's at 12% APR, and I've repaid $5500 of the $6500 principal, before the first payment is due. I have $1000 left on the loan. In hindsight I had the money to just pay the negotiated total outright and sort of hosed myself over.

Credit Card 1 is a balance that I have been paying down in fits and spurts from a high of $4k that was mostly related to a trip to Europe for christmas. Half of that was "supposed" to be repaid back to me by my gf, but she's broke so I have been letting it slide. It is at 0% APR til September

Credit Card 2 with the $2800 balance is my daily driver rewards card, that I need to get rid of but basically got me two free flights. My entire purpose with that card was to pay it off in full every month, but the sudden appearance of the old debt left me putting more and more on it, without being able to pay it off like I normally would. Besides rent and Utilities I put drat near everything on this card to get "points" but I shouldn't of. I was BWM by not putting more on the 0% APR card, and I am debating just paying the $2200 balance from last month out of my emergency savings, but like I said I am paranoid with having cash on hand of less then 3k or so. Going forward this is at 0% APR on new purchases for 6 months. I am planning to dump it however before I get hit with the annual fee next September.

Transit Chat: I work from home 3-4 days a week, and currently live 10 Blocks from my office. I do not have a car, and if I am going to work I walk or bike. I am moving though this month to a place slightly farther away that will turn my 20 min walk into a 30 min one. So my transit cost really is near 0. My girlfriend does have a car, that her parents pay for, and I fill it with gas once a month. I try to make a point of not using it as it is not my car, but will help out paying for oil changes and stuff. When we get engaged I might insist on buying it or at the very least paying the insurance.

If we had to throw it on as a line item it's $50 or so.

Edit: Allowance to my sister: Until about two years ago I was having issues finding steady work. So I crashed at my parents rent free. As of October of this year my parents have hit a rough patch. They asked me to help my sister who is at college out a bit a month for expenses to ease the burden on them. So I give her $150 a month while she's in school.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread