Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So wait, when you just start a fresh, clean budget, you only put amounts in the budget line for stuff you would pay with the money currently in your account? Meaning, if I have bills I pay not with this paycheck but the next, I would leave those lines totally blank until I get paid again on the 15th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Another YNAB question. Let's say I started August 1st, followed it exactly and have $600 left to budget. I would like to keep a buffer in my main checking account (from which all bills are paid). How do I keep this buffer into next month, but have the ability to budget to zero? Ideally I'd like a cushion equal to a full month's salary so that I'm paying bills with last month's checks, but for now a $500 buffer would suffice

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Combat Pretzel posted:

If for some OCD reason you need your current month being zero, create buffer category, put the funds in there, then pull them out again the next month (putting a negative value into the field frees the funds).

Definitely a little OCD about how I see numbers and stuff!

Thank you! The "buffer" thing is exactly what I had in mind. Guess I should have spent more time going through the site rather than just playing around in the software

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone else having trouble purchasing from Steam? It keeps telling me there was an error at the point of entering in payment info. I've tried multiple payment methods, same error every time

Edit: I got it purchased, it just refuses to install. I click the install button, and nothing happens. Looks like I need to create a new budget category in YNAB for waste

Omne fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 28, 2013

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'd also recommend some savings for short-term needs. Various deductibles (medical, dental, auto insurance) are the types of things people usually put on their credit cards because they don't have the cash saved for those types of things. I have categories for auto insurance, auto maintenance, household items/repairs, healthcare costs, etc. to earmark funds.

Also: no car insurance?

Edit: I assume your "Misc" category is for a lot of this stuff, but without it being earmarked for a purpose, it's liable to be spent on something else. You could look at your balance in Misc and say "I've got $1500, I'm getting a new MacBook!" without realizing that some of that has to pay for your dental checkup and car insurance due in four months.

You've got a very sizable emergency fund, but remember what it's for: actual emergencies or job loss, not for dipping into to cover these non-monthly expenses

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So what does everyone do with the leftover dollars and cents in a given category? Say you budget $150 for cable, but it's actually $148.75. Do you just leave the $1.25 in that category, or move it into a buffer?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

tuyop posted:

Is your cable going to always be 148.75? If yes, then only budget 148.75 (or punch yourself in the face because WTF, cable?).

If it's like heat, and sometimes you spend 200 a month and sometimes 60, then determine an average and budget that much. The rollover balance will take you through the expensive months without stress.

It's cable, internet and phone, split between me and my gf (I budget the full amount, just in case something happens; my portion is only half). It never seems to be the same; same with my cell phone bill, it's always a few cents different each month, so I round up.

Old Fart posted:

For monthly bills, I zero them out and add the extra to my buffer category.

For things like medical expenses or consumables, I usually carry them over to build a bit of a fund. But sometimes I zero those out too, because long term savings is awesome.

Thanks; I've started doing the same with those monthly bills that fluctuate a bit. For medical and stuff like that, I carry it over.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I get paid on the 15th and last of the month; I mark the end of the month check (say, April 30th) as the first paycheck for May, and the 15th as the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I think the difference is, we are using YNAB, which you may not be. With YNAB, you need the money before you can assign it to a budget category, which is why I do it that way. If you're just using a spreadsheet, then it shouldn't matter when you get paid

• Locked thread