Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
A nitpick maybe, but YNAB should be under Technique 4 (Software), since it is an application you run on your computer. It can cloud sync to the phone app using dropbox, but there is no web interface for it.

I personally am using YNAB and I really enjoy it. I was worried about it not connecting to bank accounts and having to enter everything manually, but honestly I think it's much better that way. When I was using mint I spent more time correcting weird transaction import quirks than I do now just entering the drat transactions in YNAB. Most of the time I enter transactions on the phone while I'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I definitely agree that figuring out what your categories should be and making sure they aren't too generic is an important step. There's no right answer there. Some people might have an eating out category and that would work well for them. I basically have a separate category for eating out for lunch and eating out for dinner, because that fits my lifestyle better.

Most people probably have trouble with single transactions that span multiple categories. In YNAB, you can split them, and it's pretty easy, the hard part is adding up the individual items and figuring out which portion of the tax goes to each item, especially on grocery store runs where a lot of items aren't taxed but others are, etc. You can buy items from so many categories at a stop & shop or target.

Usually if its 2 categories I just figure out the easier one, then YNAB tells me how much is left in the total and that's what gets assigned to the other category.

I don't mind splitting so much because I'm the kind of person who likes spreadsheets and figures and crap, but my girlfriend hates this minutia.

But sometimes you have to be cognizant of what the money is really for as you spend it, and not so focused on where you're spending it. Like last weekend when I took my mom out to lunch for Mother's day, I split that transaction, and half of it was for eating out and the other half was a gift.

If you have dinner with a friend, and put the whole bill on your card ($100) and they give you $50 cash, you didn't just spend $100 on dinner. You have a $100 transaction at {some restaurant} which is split, with $50 against a restaurant category and $50 is a transfer to your cash account.

So yeah there are multiple ways to do things and it comes down to figuring out what works best for you, and not getting discouraged along the way. If you feel like you can't decide how to categorize or record something on the spot, keep the receipt, and do it later when you have more time.

(this stuff I think applies to any method, not just YNAB)

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I still use Mint, I just don't use it for budgeting. It's like a quick dashboard where I can get an overview my accounts that I don't look at often, to see if any numbers looks way off. I started with Mint and just couldn't get into its budgeting feature (and subsequently gave up on budgeting). YNAB just clicked for me.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ashcans posted:

Does YNAB link to your accounts and pull your transactions/balances automatically? Neither my wife nor I have smartphones, so if I need to input stuff myself it would mean keeping a physical ledger and entering it all at the end of the day. In which case, it seems like I might as well just be keeping my budget in a physical ledger to begin with. Having Mint able to automatically pull and sort things is a pretty big deal.
You don't have to carry a physical ledger, just get receipts for your spending, and look over them all at once when you're in front of your computer. I use the app usually and then throw away the receipt ASAP but sometimes I don't have a spare moment in the day and when I get home I just enter all the receipts.

It also helps that I use cash for barely anything. If you use a credit/debit card for purchases, you can do this without keeping the physical receipts because you can just log into the account. I find the physical receipts are faster, and they're better if you need to split the transaction since a CC statement won't show you what you bought.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't use a lot of cash, but I find it easy enough to use a Cash account in YNAB. Every other account is accurate to the cent, Cash is accurate to the dollar for me. A $3.25 muffin is $4.00. If I buy that muffin tomorrow and use a quarter from today's change, it will be a $3.00 muffin. If I buy a bagel for $3.95 and count out $0.95 in change from car then it's a $3 bagel. Basically for me it's not cash that isn't real, it's change. This makes a cash account super easy and mostly accurate.

I hardly ever use cash so again it's easier than if you use cash for everything. My main use of cash is for gas since it's cheaper and at most full service stations they top up to get a round number anyway.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, do this regularly so that when you find a discrepancy you aren't going back to the beginning of time (budget wise) to resolve it.

Still, it can be a pain in the rear end because of differences on credit/debit cards between when the purchase was made, when it cleared, and which date the bank records as the transaction date.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's actually 25%. So it's worth it even if the amount I'm getting from the company is less than the amount of money I'm losing per month total in interest payments on my collective loans? I did the math and it's a couple grand a year in interest, the amount I'm getting from the matching will be like... ~260 dollars

It feels so much more psychologically satisfying to pay more towards the loans then pay this money towards this 401k that I don't really know much about. I feel like my life is on hold until I am out from under the thumb of this poo poo.
The amount you're getting from the company by putting up $X is larger than the amount of loss you will stop by putting $X against the loans.

If you achieve your maximum match by contributing $100 to the 401k, resulting in $25 of "free" money, the amount of interest you "save" yourself by putting that $100 against a (say) 20% loan would be $20. A net gain of $5 for you.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Reading the recent push for YNAB stuff here and in DogsCantBudget's thread, I must say it seems like there's a great deal of :psyduck: involved, enough so that each thing I read makes me a bit more concerned about the YNAB methods. What started off as a 'weird' feeling has been progressively turning into :confused: or :what: or something. It still sounds reasonable for those just learning to budget, but I'm curious how long it takes for all the hidden caveats to become unnecessarily annoying. Do long term users of YNAB start looking for other solutions? What are the biggest limitations?
I've been using it since about February or so, and I'm not running into anything especially annoying.

quote:

Initial setup sounds like 'the worst', but it leads me to ask a dumb question: Why don't you just lie to the thing and claim your income is that much higher this month so you actually have food money, and balance that by lowering your savings? If you have $10k in savings and you "know" some of it is for food and StrangeExpenseThisMonthA and so forth, why not record $9k in the savings 'envelope' and just tell YNAB that you've already been paid $1k so, woohoo, we can stuff it into these budget accounts?
Well, if you're going to take $1,000 out of savings this month so that you can pay your bills, then you wouldn't be lying, that would be a valid reflection of what you're going to do.

What I did when I set up YNAB, was to instead set up my savings as an off-budget account, so that money is not available for me to budget anyway (I would have to transfer it into an on-budget account and record it as income then), but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it that way.

quote:

What I do for budgeting became a bit easier to explain after reading some historical double-entry accounting stuff, and it sounds like YNAB has a flavour for some similar trickery. For example, it sounds like credit card balances need to be listed as "off budget accounts", whereas a monthly credit card payment (such as paying down a balance) would need to be listed as a separate account/category/whatever. Is that the YNAB way? If so, that's somewhat classic double-entry.
Actually, credit cards are very much on-budget accounts. A credit card payment then is simply a transfer between accounts, so a $100 CC payment is a transfer of $100 from your checking to the credit card account. Transfers between on-budget accounts do not have a category (because the categories are for spending, so the category would be chosen when you spent the money).

When you first start using YNAB, all spending that was on the credit card from before (that couldn't have been recorded individually) just gets put into a Pre-YNAB debt category, which will be in the negative and go to 0 as you pay it off.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Of YNAB,

I believe I almost flat-out disagreed with Rule Three when I first read the YNAB stuff, because it seems to set the whole system up on a house of cards. I used to get get paid every two weeks, and the notion of sitting down to figure out what to do with that money seems entirely disingenuous to the notion of a budget, which is to have a plan for the money ahead of time. I suppose this is why their rule is to spend last month's money, because their system isn't about planning, but that seems dreadful for large bills that are guaranteed to appear every six months to a year.

Yes, it is necessary to make adjustments, by I strongly advocate the saving of $125 each month to pay your six-month, $600 auto insurance bill. "$125?! :supaburn:", you say. "But of course, at that rate it takes you two years to save six month's ahead". Any adjustment necessarily occurs when you get your bill and find it to be $650. "Darn, so instead of being 1.5mo ahead, now I'm only 0.92mo ahead, and I should now budget $135.42/mo."

How does YNAB handle slackers like me who 'balance their books' long past the transaction dates? While my records always match physical accounts, it's none of their concern if I have an uncleared transaction from Books to CreditCard1 from January. :buddy: (I think the worst I remember is a clothing purchase that I entered 14 months afterwards; yeah, that was before I had a good plan for clothes purchases.)
I have 2 perspectives to YNAB, because my girlfriend and I have our finances separate and we both use YNAB. I am doing well enough, not at the brink at all (I know this was Rurutia's phrase, not yours), and my girlfriend is building her own business while paying off student loans and other debt, so her budget is way more.. lean. In my view it's working well for both of us.

I get paid twice a month (15th and last), plus at other points in the month from side income, she gets paid little bits at a time over the course of the first 2 weeks of the month. YNAB's approach of entering income when you get it, has been really great in that regard, because even though I have a steady job, I also have side income, so both of us have "variable" incomes that are difficult to account for in a spreadsheet or other budgeting methods/tools I've seen.

YNAB is absolutely about planning though; I'm having trouble figuring out why you think it isn't? I see what you're saying about saving $125/month for a $600 6-month bill.. that would work fine in YNAB (quite well actually). You just keep budgeting $125 int hat category every month while spending nothing against it. The "balance" for that category carries over each month. Want to change the amount going forward? Just do it.

I budget for lots of things this way, auto insurance, renter's insurance, my scheduled dental work, Christmas, even my car registration (every 2 years).

I will say that YNAB does not handle slackers like you very well (I'm not sure of a system that does). If you don't enter your transactions, you aren't looking at a complete picture, so it's difficult to make budgeting decisions.

Anyway, I don't mean to keep white-knighting YNAB. You seem to have a negative impression of it and that's fine, but some of the issues you have with it don't seem to be lining up with my experiences.

I think people who can use Excel effectively should stick to it; they probably won't get much out of YNAB unless they have specific pain points with the spreadsheet. Excel just wasn't for me.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Having people here discoursing over tools does bring a lot of good things to light, particularly if we can be reminded of those special tricks we use to make our money work for us:

I do this to, and though I haven't used it as much recently, since I have more buffer, it still applies to my capital expense account. In the past, though, particularly when my budget couldn't afford as much overflow, this is pretty much how I "rolled with the punches". My unexpected May 2010 transmission repair pushed the "auto maintenance" account far into the negatives, and was paid for with loans from the accounts for fuel (33%), auto insurance (15%), food (24%), and general savings / capital expenses (27%). I put the fine craft in for repair to the exhaust manifold the following March and extended the loan.

I think it's fair that people are at different places. I have no particular troubles with Mint, YNAB, and friends, but I feel people here have pointed out limitations for their use, restrictions to their intent/methods, of failures to supply what's needed in certain cases. I outgrew Money, then Quicken, then spreadsheets many moons ago. I have something above 50 logical accounts that are active, spread among multiple physical accounts with different forms of split interest earning, and my base salary goes to nearly 30 of them. Maybe I should buy YNAB just to see it crash. :whip:

As above, I think the key is to have appropriate categories of which it's easier to ensure you have a positive balance. With an established plan for my accounts, if I have saved up "two months ahead" for food, I can pretty much maintain my lifestyle for two weeks and have not a care in the world about the food account. After five weeks, I might want to start checking quite specifically. Since I have at least six months saved for food, I can go do a large Costco run and take several weeks to get everything reconciled (since, it that particular case, the money passes through someone else) and I'll know that I can still eat.

This did make me think of a question earlier today, however, which is admittedly a bit relativistic. If you will admit a slight bit of absurdity:
pre:
2013-07-20 You have $1000 in your checking account.
2013-07-31 Purchase $1000 of gold (to be shipped) from some vendor.
2013-08-01 Credit card files transaction report.  $0 balance.
2013-08-02 Vendor reserves gold, charges $1000 to CC company.
2013-08-03 CC verifies charge for $1000.
2013-08-04 Vendor ships gold via special shipping company.
2013-08-06 Gold arrives in armored vessel.
2013-08-10 CC bill received.  $0.
2013-09-01 CC files transaction report.  $1000 balance.
2013-09-10 CC bill received.  $1000.  Due by 9/25.
2013-09-20 Electronic check schedule with checking account, $1000 to CC.
2013-09-22 Electronic check reports as "In Progress" in checking account.
2013-09-24 Electronic check reports as "Cleared" in checking account.
2013-10-01 CC files transaction report.  $0 balance.
2013-10-10 CC bill received.  $0 due.  Report shows "Payment received, Thank you" for 9/23.
Now I ask you, assuming a stable spot price for gold, what transactions would you record as your account balance on which days, and what is your actual net worth on any given day from 7/20 to 10/10?

If everything was cash for trade, we could be reasonably certain of our balance. As we move to verifying receipts at the end of day, or entering items that a tool has "missed" at the end of the week, or dealing with balancing at the end of a ten-day vacation, we're necessarily running things as a debit to other of our accounts. I would hope that we budget for at least some of this, and how "tight" it is depends on one's buffer. This is OP "Section 6. Boundary mismatch and inflation". :can:
I can't tell for sure but it sounds like you have actual separate accounts for what most people would just use a category in YNAB/Mint. I could see how that would complicate using YNAB since every time you "budget" for something it would also involve transfers. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, and it's a difference in terms.

I actually just came back from a 10 day vacation, and took extra days to have some dental work, so I had like a 2 week hiatus from entering transactions (except a few cash transactions for which I had no receipt, and entered on my phone). That's the longest I've gone so far without keeping up with things, and it was all fine, just took a little longer than usual.

You don't have to buy YNAB to try it; the trial is 35 days (this is mostly directed at other people who might want to try it, not trying to get you to).

For that list of events you posted, I would record the following transactions:
7/31 - In my CC account: purchased $1000 of gold from Vendor in category Survivalist Equipment (as uncleared)
8/3 - Clear the above transaction (I assume that CC verifies the charge means that if I look at the account I'll see the charge and the balance or at least available credit will reflect it)
9/20 - In my checking account: record a transfer of $1000 to the CC account (uncleared). This will create an associated ingress transaction in the CC account (uncleared).
9/22 (or 9/24) - Mark the checking transaction as cleared (in YNAB they describe cleared as when the bank "knows" about the transaction, and this is generally how I use it so either date works)
10/1 - Mark the CC side of the transaction as cleared.

From 7/31, the category balance for Survivalist Equipment and the amount available to budget would be affected (and that's what's most important). The account balances (as shown on the left) are affected right away when you enter transactions, it's only when you click into them that you can see the breakdown of cleared/uncleared. In this way, cleared vs uncleared is less important in YNAB and I usually use it as a way of noting that the balance I see if I look at the bank's web site won't match at this time, or more frequently I use it as a way of reminding me that I need to do something else with that transaction or review it when it clears (like with write-in tips at restaurants on credit cards, so I can be sure the final amount they entered matches what I wrote).

In the end I feel like your budgeting philosophy (or the way you execute it) might just be outside the bounds of what YNAB works well for (which is not an indictment of your methods in any way).

And again, I'm not trying to push a particular method or tool on anyone. Sorry to everyone if it's coming off that way, I'm enjoying the discussion.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I'm pretty sure his point was that, from the day that he bought the gold, to the day that the gold was actually paid for by someone, 80 days have passed. So somehow, for that 80 days, your net worth should be staying at, say $1000 (you just transfered 1k in cash to 1k in gold), but since the cash is taking 80 days to change hands, for that 80 days you actually have 1k in cash and 1k in gold.

It's that whole cash float concept right?

http://www.theinvestor.tv/money/PlayingTheFloat.htm
I dunno, I feel like that couldn't be his point because the concepts you're talking about are getting to be outside the scope of budgeting.

Having 1k in cash and in gold for 80 days in this scenario is just a loan of 1k from your credit card (that's where the additional funds come from).

But if you want the net worth to remain the same in the budgeting program then his pile of gold should be an account in itself, then the sequence looks like this:
7/31 - In my CC account: transfer $1000 to Gold account
8/3 - Clear the above transaction
9/20 - In my checking account: record a transfer of $1000 to the CC account (uncleared). This will create an associated ingress transaction in the CC account (uncleared).
9/22 (or 9/24) - Mark the checking transaction as cleared (in YNAB they describe cleared as when the bank "knows" about the transaction, and this is generally how I use it so either date works)
10/1 - Mark the CC side of the transaction as cleared.

The only real difference here is that the net worth number and the available to budget numbers stay the same. Or if you want the available to budget number to go down while the net worth stays the same, make the Gold account off-budget and then when you do the first transfer you again have to choose a category (Survivalist Equipment).

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've been looking at the YNAB stuff and I guess I'm in a different situation in that I don't want a budget, I want a light-weight program that can track expenses and debts for repayment.

My girlfriend and I are sharing a bank account as we've just moved overseas and her card has a much better transaction charge than mine. But that means that everything we spend money on gets pulled out of her card, which I've loaded cash onto.

We want a program that we can use on our phone to track single purchases and who put what amount in and what amount is owed.

E.g. Monthly bus tickets, Total: 70 euro, Shared cost: Me 35, Her 35. Shared payment: Me 10, Her 60.

And the program will keep track of this and calculate that I owe her another 25 euro for us to be square.

I checked out trackeverycoin and it doesn't have this feature of sharing both cost and payment.

Does anybody know of a program or website like this? The optimal scenario is to be able to just whip a phone out and add it right there on the spot after each purchase, and have it track who owes whom and how much.
I don't know of anything for this (YNAB ain't it), but I am interested in this. If you find something please do update the thread!

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Johnny posted:

I think it helps you keep track of how much you are actually spending. Also it will help control your spending. If you budget 200 for groceries and only need 150, you will be more likely to spend the extra 50 if you just take it out all at one time. If you were tracking it more precisely you will know to only budget 150 per month on groceries, and you can budget the 50 elsewhere. When you consider this over multiple categories I think you will be able to save more/budget more efficiently.

I would at least do it the long way until you have a solid grasp on how much you actually need to budget each month for each category.

Of course I just started YNAB as well and I could be completely wrong.
This is especially true for looking at it over time. If you budget $200 for the month on groceries, and you've spent $175 by the 10th you know you're in trouble and might need to allocate funds differently, budget more for groceries and less on something else. If you go to the bank and take out $2,000 all at once and mark it as "spent" on your categories, then you can't tell how much you have left in any category.

You might be better off with the envelope method. YNAB (and maybe all budgeting) is essentially a virtual envelope method anyway. If you insist on having the cash on hand and not recording transactions, then using real envelopes might be better than YNAB for you.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
One of the great things about the "flexible" aspect of YNAB is that it means less pressure to estimate everything correctly when you're starting out. You're going to overestimate on some categories and probably underestimate on a lot more. It sounds weird but in the beginning, you're kind of just learning how much you spend and on what. Once you have the knowledge, then you start realizing where you can cut easily, where you need to change difficult habits to cut stuff more effectively, etc.

Your goal/motivation right now is to get out of debt, but don't let that dissuade you if it seems like you're not doing it quickly enough. Having intimate knowledge of where your money is going, even if it takes a month or 3, is going to be essential for getting rid of the debt and then making sure that you continue good practices afterward.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

OK, so I played with YNAB yet again, and started completely over with a blank budget on it. This time I did something differently. My husband gets paid on the first and 15th each month. I only get paid on the first. So this time, I only entered what we have gotten paid for the first, rather than the whole month. I filled in everything that is getting paid the first half of the month, which seems to have worked a lot better. Then come the 15th, I'll put his other check as an inflow and fill in the rest. Yes, it means I'll have to do this twice each month, but then at least whenever I look at it, I'm only looking at money we actually have instead of hoping what I put for his mid-month check is accurate. Usually it's the same as what we get on the first, but sometimes it isn't, like if he gets a clothing allowance tacked on or something.

Also, rather than put $450 for groceries, I put $220 (since that's what I withdrew from the ATM) and then on the 15th I will change it to $450 and withdraw the rest...if I don't use it I'll adjust it to whatever category I move it to instead, which will probably be paying extra on debt.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this now. I read some of their forum posts, and those people were saying don't use it like Quicken with projected numbers; rather, only use what you have right this second. That kinda made things click for me. :shobon:
Sounds great. I get paid the 15th and last day of each month, as well as uneven money from side income. I always enter it when I get it. Eventually you get to living on last month's income, where all the income you're entering is for next month. Then on the first, you can budget the entire month out without worrying because your income for the month is done (anything new is for next month).

This might be nitpicking, but I'd rather you put $450 for groceries if you think it's reasonable and the amount is available. If you don't use that much, you can allocate less next month, like if you spend $300, then next month if you budget nothing for groceries you'd still have $150 to spend in that category. At that point you can budget $150 and have $300 total to spend. If you want to pull money out, you can (budget negative) but that hardly ever happens, usually better to let it carry over. Hope I'm not adding confusion with this.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

OK, so I've mentioned earlier about my husband's iMac loan. The balance is now down to $1850. I plan on putting $400/month extra on it starting next month, but there's also a $147 payment that comes directly out of his check for it. Since we don't see the check allotment, how would I account for that on YNAB? If I only enter $400 as the payment, then the decrease to $1450 would be incorrect, but if I include the $147 tacked onto the $400, it will put us over budget by $147 every time. Could I just enter the $147 payment in under the iMac account as an inflow to make it right? I wouldn't have to put down where the inflow comes from, right?
Is the iMac account in YNAB on-budget or off-budget? If it's on-budget, what is the category (I would assume it's "Pre-YNAB Debt")?

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

OK, so I've mentioned earlier about my husband's iMac loan. The balance is now down to $1850. I plan on putting $400/month extra on it starting next month, but there's also a $147 payment that comes directly out of his check for it. Since we don't see the check allotment, how would I account for that on YNAB? If I only enter $400 as the payment, then the decrease to $1450 would be incorrect, but if I include the $147 tacked onto the $400, it will put us over budget by $147 every time. Could I just enter the $147 payment in under the iMac account as an inflow to make it right? I wouldn't have to put down where the inflow comes from, right?

Yes, it's on-budget as Pre-YNAB debt.
So yeah this is a few days old now, but tuyop's suggestion of treating the $147 as income would work fine (you would budget an extra $147 to the Pre-YNAB Debt category and record the $147 as income in the iMac account).

I had a whole post written with 2 alternatives but after thinking about it, I like that method the best.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, categorize it as pre-ynab debt. You usually have to look at statements to find the interest (on student loans too).

I also like keeping debt off-budget, but only for installment accounts. A credit card or line of credit should really be on-budget because even if you really don't want to, it's possible you'll spend out of the account again.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I project a month or two out, but the key is that I never enter income I haven't received yet. That means that my budget for 2 months from now looks like it's in the negative (because it is!). I'm also at the point where each month is paid for my last month's income. So when I enter income this month, it gets applied to next month's "Available to Budget" number. Looking at the projection for next month, I can see that negative number getting closer to zero as I add income.

As other people are saying, don't look at your account balances when deciding whether or not to spend. Essentially, the account balances in YNAB should be reflections of the real balances of those accounts. This has to be accurate.

The budget on the other hand, is where you allocate the money you have, even if you haven't spent it yet. You look at the "balance" column of the budget category to determine what you can spend in that category. You do that of course by entering transactions into the accounts and categorizing them properly. Entering wrong numbers into the accounts throws everything off.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Every time I login to mint I see this alert.

I leave it there because it makes me laugh a bit. Like I needed reminding that im spending too much on "broken leg".
Well it is quite a bit more than you usually spend on Broken Leg.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I like "letting it roll". Just to expand a bit, keep in mind that by allocating money to categories, you ARE creating a buffer (because you're spending out of the categories, not the balance). As long as you've allocated enough for your expenses, you'll be fine. Some of those things you budget for monthly aren't monthly spending, so they build up.

At this point, I'm well into the last month's income thing and with all the yearly/6month/etc. things I budget for I have a few thousand just sitting. I actually created an on-budget savings account to transfer it into just so it wasn't all in checking.

But there's definitely nothing wrong with a buffer category if that fits your style better!

Briantist fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 16, 2013

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Me in Reverse posted:

(YNAB) Budgeting Practice question: I collect records, and sometimes sell them on eBay, etc. Would you budget that income as Income, or as an inflow in my Records category?
What they're saying is correct, in that "it's up to you" but consider the charts if you use them.

Do an experiment and see what the charts for income and spending look like when you categorize (say) $1,000 as income vs. an inflow in the Records category.

In your case, I think I would categorize the sale as income, but it could go either way.

An example of when I would use an inflow with a category other than Income is for a refund. I recently bought something from Zappos, returned it and bought the replacement item directly (instead of waiting for the return to process). So both purchases were categorized as Clothing, and then when the refund went through, I categorized that as Clothing also instead of making it look like I got extra income and spent extra.

I say look at the charts because this is the only place in YNAB where it becomes apparent that there's a different because spending is shown as a percentage of what you had available to budget (which is affected by income).

Briantist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 22, 2013

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kenny Rogers posted:

¹ You DO have your PayPal account set up as an additional account in YNAB, right? It gets inflows and outflows and transfers, and you can use the PayPal Debit card to spend the money you earned selling stuff on Ebay to go buy gas or groceries, so it should, in theory, be listed on budget.
The vast majority of my spending is done on my PayPal debit card. 1.5% cash back on everything, awarded monthly, instant email receipts whenever a purchase is made (really helps to reconcile weird clear/charge dates). Highly recommended.

Edit: recommended if you have and use a paypal account a lot already. I really don't like them as a company. v:)v

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Sometimes I'll put income into a category if I like, put a pizza on my credit card or something and one of my friends gives me some cash to cover their part of it.

The other thing I do is make a "Reimbursement" category in my budget if like someone sends me to the store and gives me cash, cause I gotta put that stuff on my credit card for the sweet sweet points.
The way I handle this is to split the transaction with a transfer. I buy pizza for $10 on my card, my friend gives me $4 in cash. The transaction is $10 total in the card account, category is split between "Food" (or whatever), and a transfer to my Cash account.

I would handle the grocery store situation in the same way (but probably wouldn't need a split).

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I haven't touched my PayPal account in ages, I really only keep it open to use my credit card (points!) to buy stuff from people who only use Paypal. I don't even use the instant transfer anymore.
I have clients who pay me with it, so I don't generally have to manually transfer money into it. Since they pay with a bank transfer through PayPal Business Payments my fee is a flat $0.50, so the 1.5% cash back is a really significant bonus, not just offsetting fees.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah, I thought about doing that but a lot of times my uncle will give me like 80 bucks and send me to pick up a bunch of things for him, and I don't want his purchases mucking up my numbers for the stuff I buy because I want to track how much money I'm spending on myself because I'm still trying to figure out my monthly averages. So I just dump it all in the reimbursement category so I know this purchase was someone else's poo poo and it shouldn't affect my planning for next month.
Actually that's exactly what my method would do. By transferring $80 from your credit card to your cash account (both on-budget), you are not spending anything (which is accurate). According to the budget, you didn't buy anything; it's just like transferring money from one checking account to the other.

If you dump into a reimbursement category you're actually mucking things up more (in my opinion). But if it's working for you and makes sense it's not the worst thing in the world.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kenny Rogers posted:

There is actually a problem with doing that.
Example:
I have $0 (nice and round).
You give me $100 in cash. (I inflow that to my "Cash" account in YNAB. So far, so good.) (my emphasis)
I go to the dealer, and I buy $100 in methamphetamine and put it on my card. (Hey, it's a high tech dealer with Square or some poo poo, OK?)
I stop at the ATM on the way home and put the $100 in cash into my checking account, and do a transfer from "Cash" to "Checking" in YNAB.
I use that $100 to pay my credit card bill. That's a transfer from "Checking" to "Oceanic Airlines Platinum Miles Card" in YNAB.
You are correct that you're not actually spending money.

The issue that needs to be addressed is how to categorize the transaction from "Meth Hut" when it shows up on your Oceanic Airlines Platinum Miles Card statement.

I think that 100 Hogs Agree is doing the right thing by categorizing that outflow as "Reimbursement", rather than "Meth Hut" or "Identical Twin Uncle" or whatever. That way his *.QFX purchase records (based in reality) that he downloads from his bank and credit card and import into YNAB will all match up nicely with the transactions from YNAB, and reconciling is a cinch.
He didn't buy the methamphetamine for himself, and that $100 outflow shouldn't be reflected in the "Drugs and Medicinals" category for his budget, since he didn't spend any money in that category...for himself...and if he did include that, it would mess up his budget figures in months to come when he uses "Average outflows of the last 3 months" functionality.
Assuming I give you the $100 in cash to buy to meth for me, then it's the part I bolded that you've misunderstood in what I would do.

I wouldn't have ever put that $100 in YNAB as income.

I would have bought the meth on the card, and categorized it as a transfer to the cash account (since they're both on-budget, actually there is no category). Now you can transfer the $100 from cash to checking, and then from checking to CC if you want.

The key is that you never entered it as income and your purchase was never categorized as spending. You transferred $100 from your credit card to your cash. What happens from there is business as usual.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

morcant posted:

YNAB is great for me, but I recently hit a snag where the numbers are all accurate, but the actual budgeting part is way off. Due to the best security deposit return I've ever had, I had a couple hundred dollars more than I thought to manage, but YNAB seems to think it's already been allotted.

Thankfully, I get very bored at work and already had a rough draft of this paycheck's budget, so I'm not really off track or anything - I just need to figure out how to make YNAB get up to speed. I think the combination of a paycheck right before the start of a new month, combined with a vacation in the middle of the month where I went ~$200 over budget is maybe what's throwing stuff off.

Is this something anyone else encounters from time to time? I'm a little reluctant to start dicking around with my budget numbers just to make the "Left to Budget" amount match what I actually have left to budget, but I'm even more hesitant to scrap the whole thing and start over.
Hard to tell without seeing it but it sounds like you categorized the inflow of the returned security deposit instead of marking it as Income; in this case it would be a "refund" of sorts to whatever category you chose and would not increase "Available to Budget".

If this isn't the case, post some screenshots.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

Have you considered maybe moving that account off budget?
If you really want to give it a category, then do this.

The way you have it set up now (efund is On Budget) is what I'd recommend. To put $25 into emergency savings, you simply budget $25 to that category. There's technically no reason to move the funds anywhere.

But I see why you'd want to and why that separation might seem important to you. So that's fine, you just do the transfer. It's still budgeted, but you won't spend against it. Next month, if you do the same, you'll budget $25, the balance on that category will be $50.

So then, when you need to "break the glass" you would spend the money against that category. The category's balance would be whatever you put away for it (no matter which on-budget account it's in).

Edit: Instead of spending against the category (for example if you want your car repair to appear as a car repair and not as "Emergency Fund") then you can negative budget against emergency fund (lowering its balance), and then your Available to Budget number will increase and you can budget out to the appropriate categories. This is what I would do.

To do it the other way, where it's off-budget, you would transfer the money and give it the emergency fund category. What this looks like to YNAB then is that you spent $25 on "Emergency Fund".

To use the money, you would transfer it back in to an on-budget account, which would also require a category. You'd probably mark it as Income and then budget normally; it would look like you received a windfall and then are budgeting it out into categories.

It's a matter of opinion; I like the first option better. Consider that the second option will treat your saving as spending (which can be fine) so just consider how that will affects the charts if that's important to you.

Briantist fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
In my girlfriend's budget (we both use YNAB), it's pre-tax dollars because that's what all her income is, and she budgets for estimated tax payments.

I receive money from both a regular job and side income, so my budget is in post-tax dollars. I take a percentage out of every side payment I receive for taxes so that it's like it was never mine anyway. That all happens off-budget, so that I can maintain consistency in my budget and not mix pre- and post-tax dollars.

But yeah, when you have a small business that isn't its own entity, and all your income comes from that, it might make sense to just track those dollars and budget for taxes.

• Locked thread