Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I don't think I am using YNAB correctly, either that or I am a moron. I basically input the current amounts in my check and savings account, then put in all expected expenses for the remainder of the month that haven't been paid yet. For instance rent was paid so I left that off for August. I then decided to budget out the next 6 months and proceeded to put in paycheck amounts for each month on 1st and 15th of each. Then filled out all the required expenses which never change (though I fluctuated electric and water +/- $10 since it's usually about the same every month) Also filled out groceries, gas which have been exactly the same for the last 5 months and are easy to stick to. Then allowed myself a monthly spending amount in this case $400. This is the area I have the most trouble with I try to stick to a hard cap on spending freely, but end up with $100 dollar bar/restaurant tabs all too often it seems and then don't make myself stay in after my "limit" was reached since I still have plenty of money. So clearly the budget outlook revolves around that pretty heavily since everything else is the same.

Should I not use this program to do a projected budget like this to follow? The numbers coming up in January 2014 for balance after budgeting are pretty staggering to say the least. Of course it could be accurate and since I spend money like it grows on trees it could just be the shock of seeing what could be.

Basically I am looking to build a house next year and need to get on saving, something I've never done before. Some how I just feel like I am missing one small thing with the budget and it's bugging me. I assume "available" to budget is what the total amount in all accounts are after whats been budgeted already, I think the difference between that and the balance is what's throwing me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I wasn't really looking at the account balance number as that just shows the total of all the paychecks I entered. However, based on budget items that never change the available to budget number should be accurate, I'll just need to track misc spending that pops up that I haven't thought of outside whats currently there if I decide to stick with YNAB and not go with a spreadsheet instead.

The goal is really to save $1000 a month minimum and as it sits now YNAB is projecting 1300-1400 depending on each month with all static spending items already in there. We'll see how it goes I guess. Just need to force myself to stop buying poo poo.

• Locked thread