Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
FYI, YNAB is on a flash sale on Steam Greenlight for just 12.49€ and whatever that'd be in dollars. For less than 5 hours from when this post was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Create a regular budget based on your monthly income. Any surplus, which probably are a few/several thousand, stuff that into the emergency savings envelope. --edit: And/or create a bunch of envelopes for (upcoming) projects and expenses you might want to budget for, and stuff money into it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 14, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm currently combing through my recorded finances in YNAB to check for the feasibility of paying off a new car credit. When I started wondering why Entertainment subcategories and such a lumped under the same Everyday Expenses master category as kinda mandatory stuff like Groceries. I created a new master category called Discretionary Expenses and shoved less important subcategories into it. Now it's pretty much jumping into my face, how much money was being wasted on stupid poo poo.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What version of Quicken do you use, anyway? The 2013 release has a budgeting module similar to YNAB.

Also, Intuit sold their Financial Services part for a billion bux, under the guise of focusing on their core products like Quicken and Mint. Maybe Quicken starts to suck less come next year. --edit: On the other hand, if YNAB would get its head out of its rear end and add scheduled bill based cashflow forecasting, it'd do what I miss from Quicken.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 8, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If for some OCD reason you need your current month being zero, create buffer category, put the funds in there, then pull them out again the next month (putting a negative value into the field frees the funds).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Might just want to keep a buffer category for the sake of it, as secondary buffer to smooth out bigger variations in pay. I have a buffer category filled with around a 1000 bux to smooth out irregularities around the summer vacation period and X-mas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A mid/long-term strategy is tracking everything in a tool or application and then tear things apart in the relevant reporting functionality. Soon I'll finally have a year worth of data in YNAB, but drilling down into the reports, it's eye-opening how much money goes to stupid poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In YNAB, I wish you could set a desired budget value in the settings of each category, that'll get displayed in light gray (or something) in the next month's budget column, if the category budget's not set. Cluttering the category names up with these values feels kinda icky.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I posted it on their forums and someone replied with a pretty goddamn obvious way. Just put the values in the next months unset budget and copy them over to the month after it with the quick budget option, when you start setting up next months budget.

A goal-setting mode would be nice, as well as sort of a screen with progress bars for select categories. Numbers are nice and all, but don't give me quick visual feedback about how fast I'm filling say my groceries and restaurant categories. I like the way some personal finance solutions do it, display a progress bar based on your current expenses, with an overlay showing a theoretical progression based on the current day in the month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

Is YNAB and its corresponding phone apps a good way to monitor/track/stick to it? (haven't yet downloaded the trial, probably tonight)
Any extra advice to setting up a fledgling budget?
Yeah, especially because it involves manual input, which forces you to look at bills and receipts at the time you're going to pay for them. The mobile app is important on the go, to check your budget balances before making a potential purchase, and update them in real-time by adding transactions when they're made.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wouldn't it be better to create a dedicated Savings category for that instead, leaving the allocated Emergency Funds as a Do-Not-Touch category unless an actual emergency?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't see what's so hard in understanding the categorization system in YNAB. It's essentially virtual accounts, no need from several physical ones. A checking and a savings account should be enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't see why it's so hard to see why people prefer YNAB over Excel. It's the convenience of not having to rewrite parts of a goddamn Excel sheet, whenever you're wanting to create new, consolidate, merge or delete categories, payees, accounts or whatever else. Plus the presentation is clearer. Plus, if updates bring new functionality in free updates, I can use them automagically, without jumping through hoops doing copypasta between sheets.

If you don't want to pay 15$ for a spreadsheet, more power to you, but I don't want to pay way more than this to get Office.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Start setting aside as much money every month as you think/expect the monthly rate to be, and build up a reserve to be used as deposit. If you have spare money in other categories that aren't life dependent, consider moving part or all of it into that new car category (either now or close to buying it). Once you bought the car, continue using that or a new category for the payments. Unless you saved enough to pay it all at once.

Personally, I went with this way, in YNAB: Saved up money in a savings category, close to buying it, created an off-budget virtual debt account from which I transferred the credit amount straight into that category, paid for the car, and am now budgeting the monthy rates, which I'll transfer back into that virtual account. Behind the scenes, my parents lent me the money at no interest, thinking themselves of being Richie Riches after selling their house, and the transfers to the virtual account essentially mirrors paying them off. The virtual account also happens to let me track remaining debt. I figure with an interest loan, you transfer the net amount into the budget and the calculated interest into off-budget nirvana.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

tuyop posted:

Get a car loan again? Hahahaha!
I wanted a new one. :shobon:

Had half of it saved up already, so it's not that big of a loan.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Brave to reveal all, so now we can attack. :tinfoil:
I'm more surprised at the 100 dollars of groceries. He's either anorexic, does magic accounting, or I'm doing something horribly wrong, because...

That said, I'd like a third level of categories, but which are informal only. Which means that you can assign to transactions, but don't carry actual budgeted amounts of money, and whose aggregates would be subtracted from the second level categories they're hosted under. This would allow splitting up say grocery bills into subcategories of produce you bought, or let you define a generic hobby category with a set budget, but dynamically split amounts, and it'd reflect in the various reports and related drill-downs, but doesn't require you to micromanage your money.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus, you sub-5% groceries guys are either frugal as gently caress, or earn a drat lot. I'm at 12,3% for groceries and 1% for eating out. This is 2014 data because I only tracked half a year in 2015. I'm on my own.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here using Toshl for tracking and budgeting? Are you satisfied with it? I'm looking at it as an alternative to the new web based YNAB, which seems to be in over its head trying to make their cloud based stuff work. It's hard to evaluate whether it's a healthy service or if I have to fear them going away pretty soon (Toshl that is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've subscribed for a month and tinkered with it. While it does have some charty stuff, the reporting side is rather barren after all. Also, no payees, which I'm not a fan of. They say to use tags, but having multiple tags makes a single item show multiple times in their bubble chart thingy. Also, I have my car loan on it, so that networth gets adjusted properly, but when transferring money into it, said money still considered left to spend. Looks nice because of looking different, expected more in the end.

• Locked thread