Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ashcans posted:

2) If you are talking about a totally one-off purchase, you can use the 'goal' function to account for this. Basically you can play with how much you want to contribute vs. your timeframe and establish a goal payment (say, $50 a month to buy a new computer until you reach $800 or whatever). That goal payment then becomes part of your budget each month until the goal is met. It works best if you connect it to a specific account, but that is more applicable to larger/longer goals like retirement or emergency funds, because it's not like you are going to open a separate savings account for your computer money.

I've been using the goal feature for saving in the long-term for trips and stuff. Luckily I have a couple savings accounts set up just for this before I found Mint - having a relatively automated system to help me budget for large expenses is cool. Honestly, I barely used the accounts I set up previously thanks to going to grad school, but it's nice they were available now.

However, what do I do with the charges that come through? If it was a single large purchase (just finished a goal, so I'm thinking of saving up for a $$ tube amplifier next) I think I would just exclude the transaction from Mint. However, I just finished saving a chunk of change for travel. Is it easiest to just exclude every charge from Mint? There will probably be a ton of small charges :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

Very nitpicky question, but I'm curious how other people categorize this. I'm making a spreadsheet of how much I have spent where, and I have both a category for "eating out" (restaurants, going out for drinks) as well as "entertainment" (sporting events, movies). If I bought concessions at the movies/sporting event, would it make more sense to count it as eating out or entertainment? Or should it depend if it replaced a meal or was just a snack/drink? Or do most people just lump eating out and entertainment into one category anyway?

I have three separate categories in play here - entertainment (specifically the sporting events sub category for this one), fast food, and restaurants. I use 'fast food' for the "too lazy to cook" meals; this ends up being lunches for the most part, and helps me limit the number of times I'll go out during the week to a reasonable level. 'Restaurants' is used for nice planned dinners, which is really in a separate category so I remember to bring the girlfriend out on date nights occasionally :shh: For your specific question, I would add the tickets to the obvious sporting events. If I was having just a small item (say, popcorn at the movies) I would consider it part of the entertainment. If I was having a replacement meal (say a hot dog + french fries at a baseball game) I would consider using fast food instead of lumping it into entertainment. My rule of thumb is usually "am I saving this money for this particular purpose?"

• Locked thread