Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Veskit posted:

A dog is worth more than you. In fact dogs poo poo is worth more than you because it has literally zero value to anyone. Someone may pay 5 bucks to have the poo poo removed. That -5 dollars is worth more than your -10k or whatever the gently caress you have in debt. You're, worse, than worthless. You are worth less than nothing and you're considering a house.

You're spending way too much effort trying to get a stranger on the internet feel bad about himself.

Shachi posted:

I've gone about a couple different ways but I felt the best way was to just treat my budget as a true 4 weeks meaning two paychecks a month and draw out a weekly cash allowance for "spending money" and then groceries. We want to try using cash for groceries so we stick to the budget.

I recommend that you go by a monthly budget because all your major expenses are monthly (mortgage, utilities, etc.) Just have a plan for what you do with the extra paychecks or they will disappear. Putting them into credit card debt and loans is a good option. How much is your total debt? Afterwards, put it into retirement savings.

Shachi posted:

The trouble I'm running into is planning on utilities. I basically just took my last 20 bills or so and averaged them. The trouble is that they are "counter-cyclical" (this is probably a dumb made-up term) in that gas goes down in the summer and electric goes up and vice versa. However, when run the budget until August it seems to work out with a bit of surplus.

A budget never works perfectly. You can reduce the variability a bit by combining gas and electricity and using the average value. Or, use the maximum and put the rest towards debt/savings.

Shachi posted:

Because of this if I start my budget on my next check I will basically have to take a cash advance from my savings in order to issue our allowance and grocery cash. Is this a normal way to start a budget. I assume I'll just add a line to my budget to pay back what I borrowed?

Not ideal, but fair given the circumstances.

Shachi posted:

I guess what I'm getting at is, am I doing this right? See any areas I'm missing/not planning for, or somewhere that there is money I'm not planning for.

You don't make a lot of money to be supporting 3 people by yourself. If you're hemorrhaging money as you say, then no, it's not working out. Thoughts:

1) Is $340 enough of a grocery budget? Baby food and diapers get expensive.

2) How much is your total debt?

3) What is your company's retirement plan? Whatever it is, it isn't going to be enough. You need to start saving towards retirement.

4) Homeowner's insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Here is a reference guide. Hope it helps.

http://www.cuppacocoa.com/a-better-way-to-say-sorry/

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

tuyop posted:

And so I think it's fine to have a one-month buffer and skip the whole emergency fund thing. The most likely bad scenario is that I pay 7% on my LoC for six months after a few years of earning ~7% on the invested cash that would have been an emergency fund. The risk is vulnerability to the worst case, which is like a 10-30 year depression and some kind of brain injury precluding any sort of work. I'm not convinced that either a LoC or a huge e-fund protect you from the worst case, so it makes sense to take the risk and maximize return.

Crossposting from Canadian finance thread. :toot:

Sounds reasonable. Emergency funds are only for losing your job IMO.

Also, get disability insurance.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Is there a program like Mint that's more user friendly? I could never stick with it because of issues like frequent asking of security questions, problems connecting to various accounts, and phantom/duplicate transactions. I just want something that updates consistently and automatically. Tried quicken but that was even worse.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
You guys planning on keeping a strict budget forever? Or is there a post-budget state that you can graduate into? I can't handle it for more than a few months so more power to you if you can do it for 40 years. The only thing we keep track of now is my wife's clothing allowance.

• Locked thread