Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also, there's a YNAB thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599364

Great resource. It overlaps with this one but thought you may be interested in a platform specific resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

You guys want me to post my full budget? Because I will loving do that.

Won't be until tomorrow though. But it's dope.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Here's January.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 29, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Here's February. No time for commentary now but tee up questions.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Diplomat posted:

I really dig the presentation, going to have to steal these for my budget.

Thanks, I use a plugin for Powerpoint called Thinkcell (it's expensive, but my company pays for it) which makes it stupid easy to create.

I'm in the process of creating a blog where, in part, I'll be providing these budget updates with tons of commentary and how it fits into all of our goals. I love writing and talking about my and others finances, so it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But, it's not up yet as I still haven't picked a name. Sucks trying to pick what I want.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Look at all that whitespace. :stare:

Yes, I have a long way to my goals but can't wait to make progress on them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

my summer at fat camp posted:

How do you spend almost $1,000 on groceries monthly

Have three children. $200/person isn't outlandish. I think $150/person is a good target.

We also eat a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

No fancy graphs, figured I'd share my starting budget for the month of April, then will have something to compare against at the end. Will figure out how to make it all fancy in the graphs so you can see actual/budgeted in one shot!

April
Income: $6,149.36
Emergency Fund Contribution: $533.53 (effective targeted savings rate for month: 8.7%)

Fixed Expenses: $2,791.21
Mortgage: $1,547.97
Gas (Auto): $300
Car Lease: $256.68 (Paid for out of wife's side business income, not shown in above income)
Utilities: $213.30 (normally higher, but water bill this month came in and was able to release saved funds as it was lower)
Car Insurance: $172.33 (Just renewed, my six month premium went down $300!)
Fitness: $189.98
Internet & Media: $70.95
Cellular: $40

Variable Expenses: $2,120.00
Groceries: $950
Beer, Wine, and Booze: $50
Children's Stuff: $150 (Kids are on spring break this week, will see a high amount of activities spend this month)
Clothing: $100
Dining Out: $200
Entertainment: $100
Giving: $0
Gifts: $150 (Wedding shower gift for niece and random kids friends birthdays)
Household: $100
Personal Care: $100
Pet: $220 (Heavy month, not normally this high. Vet visit, quarterly cat litter shipment, then $100 for food)

Irregular Expenses: $919.95
Auto Maintenance: $200 ($169 for Car registration, both cars are 2016s so don't have a lot of maintenance at this point)
Home Maintenance: $100
Medical: $75
Haircuts: $90
His Blow $: $100
Hers Blow $: $75
Special Events: $150 (Son's birthday party)
Media: Books, Music, Apps, etc: $30
Sports and Rec: $0 (Nothing this month, bi-monthly fees for twins' martial arts program)
Tech Hardware: $99.95 (this may get refunded, playing around with the VPN for privacy thanks to new government bill, can't get Netflix to work if loaded on router and not sure I want to dick around with half-measure solutions)

Travel Hacking: $47.15
Annual Credit Card Fees: $99
Manufactured Spend: -$51.85 (transferring to cover part of annual fee, need to generate more cash back to fully cover. Activity in a lull thanks to an obstacle)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

While we're sharing approaches. I used to do my best to get every category at my estimated annual spend / 12 and funded every month, preferably months in advance to smooth it out. I didn't have enough cash flow and it just drove me crazy and stressed us out feeling like we never had any money.

This year, my wife and I changed our approach to a more reasonable one for us. Each month we look at the known upcoming expenses and then budget for that, and sweep every category empty (with a few exceptions, like Car Insurance, quarterly utilities bills, and categories we fully funded with bonus/taxes like Vacations, Home Projects, Kids Travel Soccer, etc) every month and plow the rest into our emergency fund/savings. This is working so far this year and that fund is growing. The idea is to get it to one months income and that should weather any storm will have.

So our budgeted amounts by category will be different every month, but hover around the same number except for the one-offs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're cool, it was more the other guy

ant fucker is such a great expression, please use it all the time. I'm fairly frugal and don't have much opportunity for scope creep in spending so a lump sum works pretty well for me.

Moi? If anything I'm moving mode toward your approach while tracking the individuals so I have an idea of consumption creep. We're not carrying category balances forward each month like we used to which turned into a game of shuffle the deck every time there was an inevitable overage in one and surplus in the other. I like the idea of a big slug of cash that plugs holes wherever they are, less stress. This is now possible due to the cash flow I freed up this month. Can't wait for my pay raise to hit tomorrow that is pure savings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got it. I'm not at the beginning. I'm not at the end. But I'm at the beginning of the end.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also, no one here cares what you make (high or low) or spend. We are just geeks that love deciphering financial puzzles. Safe room

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The excess of food things cannot be overstated. You're running 12.7% on groceries, lunches, and entertainment. That's a lot. You'd be better dropping that 2% and doubling your student loan payments.

More later.

Good catch. A decent rule of thumb is ~$250/mo/pp for groceries. That could be high/low depending on your tastes, but a decent benchmark to look at. That would mean you're dining out at $1,000/mo (assuming $250 for groceries, problem with %s...) for you alone? That's crazy. I have a family of five and we routinely spend about $250-300/mo for ALL of us. Huge area to cut back right there. I'm guessing you're either letting a lot of groceries going to waste/rot or being excessive on your socializing.

Also, would be very helpful to know what area of the country you live in. Can move the advice around considerably.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

asur posted:

A percent is about $56 if we assume the middle of the range he gave. He's spending very little on groceries, a lot on lunches and eating out. Internet is expensive as well as the rest of the utilities.

I'll wait for a $ denominated budget, just guessing a tea-leaves otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The hardest part will be to not spend in times of feast so focus on that. My mother suffered from that. She'd get a month of high income and go on a spending spree and then struggle to pay her quarterly taxes. She had social security to back her up, but that didn't make it any less stressful.

• Locked thread