Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I love this series. At first I read it because it's Food Manga meets H-Manga (the artist was originally an H-artist), similar to how Toriko is Food Manga meets Fight Manga, but now I read it because it makes me hungry and the character depictions are simply amazing. Now they add this warm and fuzzy on top? The writer for this series is a genius! I'm seeing this thing to the end, no matter how terrible it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So basically her secret cooking powers is being everyone's mom. That's... something I guess.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, I figured they'd wait a little longer before they cut and paste the ending from Ratatouille. :v:

Whatever, it's a bit early in the manga's lifespan to start ditching characters already, particularly when their character arcs are shaping up to be far more interesting than the main protagonist. Still, would've been cool if she was cut then and there. That would require some massive, massive balls.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Tadokoro's tears and Souma trying to help take the blame tugged at my heartstrings. This chapter was not how I expected it to play out but to be honest I am happy it turned out like this. It wasn't that Tadokoro wasn't good enough to beat him it was because Kojiro isn't any better? Right on. Kojiro getting called out was the best part of the chapter. :getin:

Tadokoro is awesome and here is hoping this shokugeki boosts her confidence even if it's just a little it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mountain Lightning posted:

Tadokoro's tears and Souma trying to help take the blame tugged at my heartstrings. This chapter was not how I expected it to play out but to be honest I am happy it turned out like this. It wasn't that Tadokoro wasn't good enough to beat him it was because Kojiro isn't any better? Right on. Kojiro getting called out was the best part of the chapter. :getin:

Tadokoro is awesome and here is hoping this shokugeki boosts her confidence even if it's just a little it.

But he specifically WAS better than her - the difference was that everything she did she did with the person eating it in mind, and how to make it good for them, while he stagnated and focused on what was 'best'. Sheer skill and taste wise he was superior.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The over the top racism to the chef in France was a bit much. As seriously as they take their food, sabotaging someone who's aiming for a Michelin star or equivalent would be a huge black mark on an assistant chef and if word got around they'd never work at a high end restaurant ever again. What is the obsession with manga always showing an overseas encounter where everyone is super racist to the noble Japanese?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

pentyne posted:

The over the top racism to the chef in France was a bit much. As seriously as they take their food, sabotaging someone who's aiming for a Michelin star or equivalent would be a huge black mark on an assistant chef and if word got around they'd never work at a high end restaurant ever again. What is the obsession with manga always showing an overseas encounter where everyone is super racist to the noble Japanese?

I'll give you a hint: it's rooted in the same ideal that caused the same manga to have the best most world renowned cooking school only for the best chefs ever to be in Japan.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'm only surprised that they didn't throw out the old "Yellow Monkey" insult, which only ever seems to crop up in Japanese media.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Well, that was an exciting half a chapter of dramatic tension about what could happen to our protagonist. Shame they deflated it so fast. :sigh:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Mo_Steel posted:

Well, that was an exciting half a chapter of dramatic tension about what could happen to our protagonist. Shame they deflated it so fast. :sigh:

I dunno, what else were we going to get out of his "whoops, well we tried" that he was even shown to have in the chapter

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Chapter 27: the Bitterness of Defeat is out. In this chapter, it touches what is both mentioned often in Shonen but rarely in cooking mangas: the Gut.

Apparently the digestion-helping molecule in allspice, Eugenol, can also be used as dental anesthetic.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, now I may actually have a small interest in Soma's character arc. He takes this pretty hard for what's supposed to be a victory. I mean, he wasn't the head chef, so it's not "his" loss, since it wasn't his dish that went up against Shinomiya's. He's got a hell of a poker face though, wasn't till he (thought he) was alone that he even let any of his frustration out, but that also goes towards the audience. Typically a shonen lead would be thinking about all the mistakes he made, all the things he should have done better, what he should have done differently. Instead it's "I lost" and that's it. Hard to see if he's taken any lessons from this or not.

Also, the arrow pointing out the hand a panel before he's slapped just tickles my funny bone. :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Okay, now I may actually have a small interest in Soma's character arc. He takes this pretty hard for what's supposed to be a victory. I mean, he wasn't the head chef, so it's not "his" loss, since it wasn't his dish that went up against Shinomiya's. He's got a hell of a poker face though, wasn't till he (thought he) was alone that he even let any of his frustration out, but that also goes towards the audience. Typically a shonen lead would be thinking about all the mistakes he made, all the things he should have done better, what he should have done differently. Instead it's "I lost" and that's it. Hard to see if he's taken any lessons from this or not.

Also, the arrow pointing out the hand a panel before he's slapped just tickles my funny bone. :3:

He ends up blaming Tadokoro and never talks to her again. She becomes depressed as a result and gives up cooking and drops out of school.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Chapter 28 is out.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/178134/shokugeki-no-soma_ch28_by_casanova/1

SHINPACHIIIIIIIII

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Bancho Tadakoro is also something I would be fine with.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
New Chapter has arrived!

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/179806/shokugeki-no-soma_ch29_by_casanova

The cliffhangers in this manga drive me up the wall but it's something I also really enjoy about it. A new lady and her buddy have shown up and declares that Soma is gonna lose? And it looks like Tadokoro had a good idea. I can't wait for next week to see what happens.

Erina is also cute as heck being competitive about losing at Uno.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
What the hell happened to Tadokoro's hips in that title page?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SpazmasterX posted:

What the hell happened to Tadokoro's hips in that title page?

They're Street Fighter references. She's Chun-Li, so her legs are huge! Except it was only her hips that became huge. But eh.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
New chapter! http://www.batoto.net/read/_/180945/shokugeki-no-soma_ch30_by_casanova

Suddenly Souma is in a pinch! What could be the problem with his dish? Erina being a Queen was very fitting of her and having Tadokoro get a proposal to wed a man's grandson was great. Lots of good dishes shown off this chapter.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Mountain Lightning posted:

New chapter! http://www.batoto.net/read/_/180945/shokugeki-no-soma_ch30_by_casanova

Suddenly Souma is in a pinch! What could be the problem with his dish? Erina being a Queen was very fitting of her and having Tadokoro get a proposal to wed a man's grandson was great. Lots of good dishes shown off this chapter.

It's probably the same thing he keeps running in to - his dishes taste great, but they don't necessarily look that exciting. Note the old guy who mentions that he won't eat anything that looks clumsy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tricky posted:

It's probably the same thing he keeps running in to - his dishes taste great, but they don't necessarily look that exciting. Note the old guy who mentions that he won't eat anything that looks clumsy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the big lesson here is going to be that his presentation leaves much to be desired.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the big lesson here is going to be that his presentation leaves much to be desired.

Well he'll probably just partner with the main girl to take care of his presentation problem since she cares so much about what the customer thinks. They have to make her somewhat relevant.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Soylentbits posted:

Well he'll probably just partner with the main girl to take care of his presentation problem since she cares so much about what the customer thinks. They have to make her somewhat relevant.

Except she completely hates his guts and sees his flunking out as a good thing so why would she bother? And they're in the middle of their exam right now anyway, so even if somebody wanted to help him it's too late already.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Except she completely hates his guts and sees his flunking out as a good thing so why would she bother? And they're in the middle of their exam right now anyway, so even if somebody wanted to help him it's too late already.

I think Soylentbits is referring to the other main girl, Everyone's Mother.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 31 - loving soufflés

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This manga is becoming more like Yakitate!! over time

There's always at least one hilarious, ridiculous page. I loved the cow/salmon/asparagus egg.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Is his idea to cook everything at the last minute while grabbing everyone's attention, so they only look at and eat it while it's fresh?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He runs around and destroys everyone else's meals so they have no choice but to eat his.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

He runs around and destroys everyone else's meals so they have no choice but to eat his.

The next chapter is just that but then people start fighting. Then, the next chapter introduces ki and power levels...

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The one-shot version of Shokugeki no Soma is out. I don't know how that version leads to the actual manga, there's no men swooning to the point of falling shoujo petals at delicious food :geno:

I don't get the cooking method though. Won't the raw eggs cook a bit due to the hot oil?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 16, 2013

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was a pretty good one-shot! Somehow, I feel like that's an even better start compare to the official manga's first chapter. It at least gives the main character a degree of mysteriousness that makes you wonder about him more.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Compendium posted:

That was a pretty good one-shot! Somehow, I feel like that's an even better start compare to the official manga's first chapter. It at least gives the main character a degree of mysteriousness that makes you wonder about him more.

Agreed. This Souma was really cool, it felt like they toned him down for the series.

(Or maybe it's just his build.)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Oh, you want a cool Souma? Well, the newest chapter will surely not disappoint you, as we get Souma at the most coolest: him sweating profusely.

I am so impressed by Souma moving egg yolks through three pairs of egg shells goddamm :stare:

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 19, 2013

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm really enjoying the highly detailed drawings and cooking that will from time to time verge on the fantastical/gag like but usually seems somewhat more probable than not. I'm disappointed that there were no over the top reactions to Souma's cooking but hopefully more winged Souma cherubs will appear later.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Furious Lobster posted:

I'm really enjoying the highly detailed drawings and cooking that will from time to time verge on the fantastical/gag like but usually seems somewhat more probable than not. I'm disappointed that there were no over the top reactions to Souma's cooking but hopefully more winged Souma cherubs will appear later.

The manga is a semi-surprise hit for WSJ, so the fanservice food reactions have been dramatically toned down in favor of plot and to give them a more humorous edge rather than appearing to be literal orgasms (e.g. Erina's reaction to the rice dish). You would probably not be surprised, based on those early chapters, to learn that the artist did hentai before this.

Oh, and Ch. 34: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-034--The-Fate-Surrounding-Tootsuki?id=171583

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Saiha Jouichirou? Wait, isn't that backwards? I thought it was the bride who takes the grooms family name...

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Saiha Jouichirou? Wait, isn't that backwards? I thought it was the bride who takes the grooms family name...

Assuming they were married. His dad could have worked at a restaurant owned by his mom or his mother's parents, one illegitimate childbirth and a dead mom later and you have a small restaurant named after her as tribute. History solved.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Assuming they were married. His dad could have worked at a restaurant owned by his mom or his mother's parents, one illegitimate childbirth and a dead mom later and you have a small restaurant named after her as tribute. History solved.

Or his dad married into the family, usually happens for powerful families who want a male heir to inherit the business but have no male descendants themselves.

MMania
May 7, 2008
"Big revelation" aside, it's nice to see Tadokoro finally get some props. I guess in this universe there aren't any regular cooking schools that don't run on shonen battle rules that should could have gone to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Chapter 35 is out!

I think I will enjoy this arc, I love karaage. :allears: