Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Chapter 36

Undercover work and the return of foodgasms. Is it some kind of trope to have slimy evil types have Ichimaru Gin like expressions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
... okay, time for me to go figure out how to make karaage. Stuff sounds like it's delicious.

Anyone have a preferred recipe on hand?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... okay, time for me to go figure out how to make karaage. Stuff sounds like it's delicious.

Seems like it's mostly just a fried piece of protein that's marinated beforehand and fried/deep fried.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It sounds like you just marinate chicken and fry with seasoned flour.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Japanese karaage specifically uses the dark thigh meat of chicken since it's flavorful and more tender. I've actually made my own kaarage, but I've only ever had breast meat on hand, which works fine if you know how to tenderize it. And the breading is usually a starch (potato or corn) although I've seen flour added in other recipes. So basically, think of popcorn chicken, but marinated beforehand with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sake instead of having a seasoned breading.

Here's a link for a recipe I think is fairly reliable. It's easy to get a hold of the ingredients and if you have leftovers, kaarage is also pretty good cold!

http://norecipes.com/blog/karaage-recipe/

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
That sounds really good. I'll have to try and find the stuff for it next time I grab groceries.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.mangapanda.com/shokugeki-no-soma/37

Chapter 37 up! All I want to do is eat fried chicken after reading this chapter. Lots of things going on and I'm excited to see the ending of the kaarage arc!

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-038--Sensual-Karaage--004-?id=174477

Chapter 38 is up now.

Gonna go get some chicken.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Whoa a Banh xeo reference!! The writing knows its stuff beyond the usual Japanese mixed with Western cuisine fare, they really are branching out with their culinary knowledge. Very mouthwatering chapter for sure.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Chapter 39

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Full Metal Cook.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Okay, uh, the first half of the chapter happened. Whatever floats the writer's boat I guess.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

sunburnedcrow posted:

Okay, uh, the first half of the chapter happened. Whatever floats the writer's boat I guess.

I get the distinct impression that was all on the artist. And I sincerely hope for more. :allears:

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga, but it doesn't have to be for every chapter.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

New chapter

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-040--Return?id=175334

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And just like the preface in any shounen series with tournament or competition arcs, the new players were introduced in this chapter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There better be tons of pages of drool worthy meals. I will not accept a tournament arc any other way.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Chapter 41 is out.

http://manga.casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/41/page/1

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I love how his dad was never just gone missing somewhere, he's just around and comes back when the mood strikes him.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

It's unwinnable fight time!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Ch. 42 http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-042-Read-Online?id=176573

That was an...interesting food reaction.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Chapter 4.5 was also translated: http://manga.casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/4/5/

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Chapter 43

gently caress, I read this AFTER eating dinner and now I'm hungry again :(

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ch 44: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/201764/shokugeki-no-soma_ch44_by_casanova/1

Pity his dad left without actually running into Erina, her finding out Souma is his son will probably be an interesting scene once it happens.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

We don't know anything about her past with him yet right? Outside of the vagueness of the picture right?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, we only just found out she knows him after that picture was revealed.

My guess is that when Erina was little she was a monster because she had super high standards for food even for a kid and then Souma's dad cooked for the family and the deliciousness knocked her socks off.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I assumed she's been nursing a little girl crush on him since whenever, since she seemed to hold that picture dear.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
Was there anything mentioned about Souma's mother? Maybe there's a chance that Erina is his half-sister or something.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Chapter 45 is out.

Of course he's a new rival. With the focus on curry for the election I was really hoping for an Addicted to Curry kind of chef to pop up. It's not the same, but I'm not disappointed with what they did either.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Chapter 46 is out.

See also

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Shokugeki no Soma has been picked up for U.S. print versions. However, it will not appear in the digital Shonen Jump because the foodgasms were considered to be too lewd.

The official translated name is "Food Wars!" Yes, really.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Not nearly as good as Fighting Foodons.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Angry Grimace posted:

Shokugeki no Soma has been picked up for U.S. print versions. However, it will not appear in the digital Shonen Jump because the foodgasms were considered to be too lewd.

The official translated name is "Food Wars!" Yes, really.

How has food-based manga fared in the US? I'm afraid that the bland title might totally put people off.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Schneider Heim posted:

How has food-based manga fared in the US? I'm afraid that the bland title might totally put people off.

Well....

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 47

BEGIN... COOKING!

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Schneider Heim posted:

It's mostly been mishandled (Oishinbo), or generally underpromoted (Iron Wok Jan) with sales stemming from a pre-existing online fanbase (Drops of God, and maybe Yakitate! Japan, I think) or the niche group who's really into food manga.

But I'd be totally happy to admit it if I were wrong.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I just realized that them changing the name to Food Wars means that there's a 100% chance that "I challenge you to a food war!!" will be a frequently heard phrase.

:sigh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I just realized that them changing the name to Food Wars means that there's a 100% chance that "I challenge you to a food war!!" will be a frequently heard phrase.

:sigh:

"Kitchen Combat" should've been the used instead. That way the area they compete in could be called Kitchen Colosseum. :3:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kimitsu posted:

It's mostly been mishandled (Oishinbo), or generally underpromoted (Iron Wok Jan) with sales stemming from a pre-existing online fanbase (Drops of God, and maybe Yakitate! Japan, I think) or the niche group who's really into food manga.

Speaking of food manga, have any of you looked into Hell's Kitchen? It's similar in how shounen it is compared to Shokugeki no Soma.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

pandaK posted:

Speaking of food manga, have any of you looked into Hell's Kitchen? It's similar in how shounen it is compared to Shokugeki no Soma.

I have here! The group that translates it tends to be very slow with the projects they take on so it's a shame Hell's Kitchen doesn't get as much attention. The food descriptions and drawings are just as succulent as Shokugeki, but I think the latter is more creative in creating new dishes. Hell's Kitchen is a little better with comedy, but that's because it has a super whacky premise to begin with.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kimitsu posted:

I am ludicrously pleased whenever I come across anybody who's aware of Iron Wok Jan. Such a wonderfully over-the-top series. So hard to get a hold of the books in the West though. Which is a shame, because I prefer the English translation to the Korean translation.