Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I am ludicrously pleased whenever I come across anybody who's aware of Iron Wok Jan. Such a wonderfully over-the-top series. So hard to get a hold of the books in the West though. Which is a shame, because I prefer the English translation to the Korean translation.

Iron Wok Jan was the first taste of cooking manga I ever got way back when a local library had the first 15 or so volumes. It was the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pandaK posted:

Iron Wok Jan was the first taste of cooking manga I ever got way back when a local library had the first 15 or so volumes. It was the greatest.

My high school library had up to volume 5 and for the longest time I thought that was where the series ended, since the cooking tournament ended that volume and it seemed like everything had been resolved.

I only found out that I'd been wrong when I come across Volume 6 in the for-sale bin of a anime / manga shop several years after I graduated. I've only been able to buy two volumes, and had to resort to :filez: of the Korean translation to read the rest. Underpromoted in an understatement in regards to this underrated gem.

Iron Wok Jan was my second cooking manga, and it was so different from the first one - Shouta no Sushi (creatively translated in Korean as Mr. Sushi King) by Terasawa Daisuke - in that Jan was a total and complete prick.

Too bad the West will probably never get the sequel.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

"Kitchen Combat" should've been the used instead. That way the area they compete in could be called Kitchen Colosseum. :3:

Holy poo poo this is so much better than the real official name I'm now actually mad over this rather than just kinda annoyed. "Food Wars" is both ridiculous as a name and doesn't feel at all like what the actual manga reads as.

"Food Wars" reads as a wacky comedy where people fight each other with food as their weapons.
"Kitchen Combat" reads as a more serious but still somewhat silly manga wherein chefs compete against each other.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

My high school library had up to volume 5 and for the longest time I thought that was where the series ended, since the cooking tournament ended that volume and it seemed like everything had been resolved.

I only found out that I'd been wrong when I come across Volume 6 in the for-sale bin of a anime / manga shop several years after I graduated. I've only been able to buy two volumes, and had to resort to :filez: of the Korean translation to read the rest. Underpromoted in an understatement in regards to this underrated gem.

Iron Wok Jan was my second cooking manga, and it was so different from the first one - Shouta no Sushi (creatively translated in Korean as Mr. Sushi King) by Terasawa Daisuke - in that Jan was a total and complete prick.

Too bad the West will probably never get the sequel.

Oh drat, I also read a ton of Mr. Sushi King since my family would always have them lying around. Those Korean comic rental places sure came in handy for those kinds of stuff.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know how my family got our Mr. Sushi King. Sometime after we moved to Canada we ended up with all but the last volume (13) of the initial series. Managed to borrow volume 13 from what might have been the only Korean comic / book / DVD rental place in Toronto, but had to resort to :filez: for the National Tournament sequel. And now I find out that there's apparently gonna be a World Tournament sequel or something?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I've never heard of either of those two works. I think I'll have to check those out. I really like cooking series.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 48

Souma sleeping on the job.

Also that colour spread is awesome.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Man, of course that's where they end the chapter. Another weeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Singaporeans represent! :v:

I love curry, but never liked fish head curry much. It just ends up being a thin spicy gravy for the fish head. I'll take potatoes-and-some-kind-of-meat or vegetarian curry over that any day.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Chapter 49

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've been watching old seasons of Masterchef for the past few weeks and all I could think when Souma revealed his curry risotto was Joel Bastianich yelling "Curry!? In a risotto?!"

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Chapter 50

Page 15 has some god drat emotion, and not the normal food orgasm type emotion either.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've had this odd feeling that the author really likes Megumi or at is at least one of the favored characters. Definitely don't have an issue with this though, for me her development and progression have been a real pleasure to read and follow along with.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Honestly I think Megumi's growth is as much if not more of a focus of the manga currently as Soma's. He always finds a way and has been great from the beginning, but Megumi has her whole arc of getting confident with herself to work on, as well as straight 'better at cooking'.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Chapter 51 is up!

http://www.mangareader.net/shokugeki-no-soma/51

Oh god, Boiling Witch :gonk:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wait... doesn't smell have a huge impact on taste, to the point where you can flavour some foods just by having the right fragrance nearby? How can something that smells so bad it would even reach the audience and make them choke taste good when eaten? This is particularly weird cause they had that one guy who could smell real good just a couple chapters ago make a big deal out of smells and spices.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait... doesn't smell have a huge impact on taste, to the point where you can flavour some foods just by having the right fragrance nearby? How can something that smells so bad it would even reach the audience and make them choke taste good when eaten? This is particularly weird cause they had that one guy who could smell real good just a couple chapters ago make a big deal out of smells and spices.

Durian, stinky tofu, and cheeses are all things that smell horrendously offensive to different people but are widely enjoyed by others.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There are a lot of foods with incredibly potent smells that have completely different tastes, to where they suggest to newbies that they hold their nose to eat it the first time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Crazy witch girl looks way too much like a Hex Maniac from Pokemon.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Crazy witch girl looks way too much like a Hex Maniac from Pokemon.

I was thinking of a cooking focused version of Tomoko from Watamote.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Chapter 52 is out. That was quick!

http://www.mangareader.net/shokugeki-no-soma/52

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That was awesome. :allears:

"Nao the White" holy poo poo that was easily the best foodgasm yet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well I just powered through all of this. The title caught my eye, but man this is nothing like Yakitate Japan. I should know because I just reread that and man that series went to hell after the Monaco cup ended.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well I just powered through all of this. The title caught my eye, but man this is nothing like Yakitate Japan. I should know because I just reread that and man that series went to hell after the Monaco cup ended.

Takashi predicted that's what was going to happen though, and SnS has quite a few more chapters before it exhausts reaction images and ideas.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

For more outrageous dishes with less reactions, try Hell's Kitchen. It currently reached the beginning of a competition arc between normal cooking and molecular gastronomy themed around the five senses.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 52.5

So much free time.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was kind of expecting a punchline while flipping through that, and it didn't really deliver.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I was kind of expecting a punchline while flipping through that, and it didn't really deliver.

Yeah, it really lacked anything substantive.

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into another Yakitate Japan where 90 chapters in all the emphasis on food and cuisine drops off for food based time travel and magic powers.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Well it was one of those .5 chapters so I wasn't expecting much. Fanservice and some more characterizing I guess

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I can tell just by looking at you. You want to open up the the new chapter and consume the plot. Just follow your desires, you pigs. It's delicious and I know you crave it.

As someone who can't consume anything alcoholic, this chapter doesn't do me at all. How much are you willing to bet Souma get 100 or at least very close to it?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I'm almost certain the title is a mistranslation. It should at least be "The Man Who Came in from the Cold". Don't translators read books any more? :argh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

I can tell just by looking at you. You want to open up the the new chapter and consume the plot. Just follow your desires, you pigs. It's delicious and I know you crave it.

As someone who can't consume anything alcoholic, this chapter doesn't do me at all. How much are you willing to bet Souma get 100 or at least very close to it?

My prediction is Souma gets a good score, but not the best score. That gives him meaningful rivals and allows him to continue training himself.

Either that or he tries something weird and it tastes loving awful and he loses big time but he just shrugs it off and keeps being awesome. :haw:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mo_Steel posted:

My prediction is Souma gets a good score, but not the best score. That gives him meaningful rivals and allows him to continue training himself.

Either that or he tries something weird and it tastes loving awful and he loses big time but he just shrugs it off and keeps being awesome. :haw:

My long term prediction is that he finally manages to perfect the peanut butter and jelly squid into one of his greatest hits ever for the finale of the story.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm betting that, after finally winning a competition with Erina to make her admit his food tastes good, he proceeds to use her divine tongue solely to taste all the random poo poo he comes up with.

What I'm saying is that this manga will end exactly the way it began.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

pandaK posted:

My long term prediction is that he finally manages to perfect the peanut butter and jelly squid into one of his greatest hits ever for the finale of the story.

Who knows that the two ingredients to Love is just peanut butter and jelly?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mo_Steel posted:

I think he'll get a mid-80s score and then start boasting that it doesn't make a difference because you don't win in the first round.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he'll get a mid-80s score and then start boasting that it doesn't make a difference because you don't win in the first round.

I can't see him not getting a 90+ score, because unlike the other competitions he's been in, he's had a really long time to prepare for this one and seems pretty confident about whatever he's come up with.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ytlaya posted:

I can't see him not getting a 90+ score, because unlike the other competitions he's been in, he's had a really long time to prepare for this one and seems pretty confident about whatever he's come up with.

On the other hand, Souma's repeatedly shown that he's at his best when he has to think on his feet. I think whatever he has planned is going to blow up in his face and he has to salvage it quickly.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Neo_Crimson posted:

On the other hand, Souma's repeatedly shown that he's at his best when he has to think on his feet. I think whatever he has planned is going to blow up in his face and he has to salvage it quickly.

How? Once he hands over his dish, they aren't gonna let him cook a side or whatever. Whatever he hands over is gonna be all they're gonna take from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How? Once he hands over his dish, they aren't gonna let him cook a side or whatever. Whatever he hands over is gonna be all they're gonna take from him.

Yeah, but its only the first round. All he really needs to do is advance, right?