Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He just needs to beat the smell guy, is all. It isn't like he is gonna lose, so I'm more interested in how Megumi is gonna pull through. Underdogs are way more interesting than prodigies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serious Frolicking posted:

He just needs to beat the smell guy, is all. It isn't like he is gonna lose, so I'm more interested in how Megumi is gonna pull through. Underdogs are way more interesting than prodigies.

He won't lose in the first round, but I think the chances of him winning the entire tournament arc is pretty low, simply based on the fact that shonen tournament arcs rarely end with the protaganist winning the first one.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 54

I have completely forgotten who the last guy is. Was he introduced with the rest?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Chapter 54

I have completely forgotten who the last guy is. Was he introduced with the rest?

He's part of the Polar Star dorm and the guy whose room the rest of the crew always bums out in.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I love how the guy we barely know anything about (beyond "surprisingly good", since he was one of the first to get accepted into the tournament) also happens to have a legion of glasses wearing fans. Is his entire gimmick going to be seemingly plain food that turns out to have an amazing twist?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

I love how the guy we barely know anything about (beyond "surprisingly good", since he was one of the first to get accepted into the tournament) also happens to have a legion of glasses wearing fans. Is his entire gimmick going to be seemingly plain food that turns out to have an amazing twist?

Everyone apparently has a legion of adoring fans other than Tadokoro and Soma, who have hate crews. Even that random long-haired Polar Star girl has a fan-group.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Chapter 55

Man those judges must be exhausted given that this competition is basically a marathon reenactment of Jizz In My Pants.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

Chapter 55

Man those judges must be exhausted given that this competition is basically a marathon reenactment of Jizz In My Pants.

Plot hint w/r/t scoring:

The fact that they said that if there's a tie they have to vote on best dish means he's going to get in by a hair of a vote.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Two more chapters to go until the main event.

I like how all you have to do to make a stereotypical nerd character look awesome is not make their glasses mask their eyes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what Souma's awesome nickname is gonna be? King of Curry? Curry Curator?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Not sure why I thought reading this chapter while I was hungry was even a good idea. Goddamn everything looks so delicious. Give me all the smoked food.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I wonder what Souma's awesome nickname is gonna be? King of Curry? Curry Curator?

Peanut butter and jelly squid curry master :unsmigghh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pandaK posted:

Peanut butter and jelly squid curry master :unsmigghh:

Peanut butter jellyfish are an actual thing now.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
https://www.mangachapter.net/15464/shokugeki-no-soma/56.html

Chapter 56 is up! I like the food reactions in this chapter even if it's kinda obvious at this point that they're rushing a little.

EDIT: Also, character popularity poll.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 7, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't blame them, there are just way too many characters to go through.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Aww yeah, Alice is up next. I've been looking forward to the modernist techniques they'll use for her dish more than any other contestant. I'm betting on a curried foam with some sous vide protein but judging by their reactions she probably piled up a bunch of chemicals on the plate.

Also, I feel like the peanut butter squid should have been higher on the character poll.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone else think that spaghetti napolitan is an unbelievably vile concept?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I thought it looked good, though I'd eat anything with cheese in it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought it looked good, though I'd eat anything with cheese in it.

It is spaghetti with ketchup used as the only sauce. It does not normally contain curry-infused pasta filled with cheese.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Does anyone else think that spaghetti napolitan is an unbelievably vile concept?

Not at all, not unless you absolutely despise ketchup. My sister and I once made it ourselves by following the Cooking With Dog recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia2kEaq1d0

The actual amount of ketchup is very small and it meshes very well with the other ingredients. You're not just dumping cold ketchup on top of spaghetti like some hick, you're cooking it down and stir frying it with other ingredients before mixing it in. The green bell pepper and garlic helps curb off the sweetness and the Parmesan kind of tops it all off.

I find spaghetti napolitan's history interesting since it was basically invented post-WWII in Japan since there wasn't fresh tomatoes/tomato sauce around so they adjusted it and it's stuck around ever since.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It is spaghetti with ketchup used as the only sauce. It does not normally contain curry-infused pasta filled with cheese.

The thing about Cheese going well with soy sauce is the first I've ever heard of it. Though, both of those ingredients have high amounts of "umami"/MSG

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
Chapter 57 is out.

Alice is truly beyond mortal understanding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I honestly have no frame of reference to know how that stew tastes. Dissolved fish liver broth?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

I honestly have no frame of reference to know how that stew tastes. Dissolved fish liver broth?

Any East Asian seafood stew should do the trick as a point of reference; also if you're a fan of sushi, a common and delicious way to eat ankimo is in miso soup.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

If you're an American, I think you'd have a really hard time with it. The texture is pretty squishy, but it's very flavorful. A pretty heartwarming chapter - did Tosh invent food moe?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh, we have a thread for this? Marathoned it last week, and as an addict of TV cooking competitions, this is pretty much a home run for me. Sucks to wait for new chapters, though. As usual.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was a really heartfelt chapter. Megumi can only climb up from here.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Er, how does Casanova make the scans look so pretty? The Jump raws are hideous to look at.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Compendium posted:

The few pages before the scoring showing her trials and difficulties are just heart wrenching, holy hell. :unsmith:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mo_Steel posted:

The few pages before the scoring showing her trials and difficulties are just heart wrenching, holy hell. :unsmith:

Compendium posted:

She really has become a great character with her backstory of why she's the best from her hometown becoming more fleshed out; I'll admit that in the beginning, I wasn't the greatest fan of her character development but has definitely grown on me over time.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I like how for Alice, the writer just threw up his hands and went "yeah I dunno it's good". :v:

Megumi has probably gotten more focus than any other character in the series at this point. She may as well be the actual main character.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, I kind of took her for granted as well; I thought she was someone who just had really good home style cooking and was kind of lucky getting into the school, but her back story clearly shows she's got great initiative and works loving hard to be good at the culinary arts. And I think the nice thing about her development so far is that Souma doesn't have to teach her how to get better at cooking, he already knows that she's really great and can only get better standing on her own two feet.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 8, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 58

Things get explosive.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man my only experience with pot pies is crappy microwavable stuff way back when I was a kid. I guess I should give them another shot.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

BlitzBlast posted:

Man my only experience with pot pies is crappy microwavable stuff way back when I was a kid. I guess I should give them another shot.

I totally recommend it! It's great making your own roux and filling and if you want to save time, I'd say try Alton Brown's recipe (ironically fitting for the curry battle, but in no way is actually curry)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/curry-chicken-pot-pie-recipe.html

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

c59

Mo_Steel posted:

My prediction is Souma gets a good score, but not the best score. That gives him meaningful rivals and allows him to continue training himself.

Either that or he tries something weird and it tastes loving awful and he loses big time but he just shrugs it off and keeps being awesome. :haw:

"Loses on overall score but wins on judges" was a clever way to finesse this, I thought.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They did it, they made a reaction that tops my favorites.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I've been punched in the face... by FLAVOR

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah that was basically the best reaction. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The Ultimate Sore Loser :allears:

And the streak continues, too!