Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

I've been punched in the face... by FLAVOR

Later on things while escalate until people are being brutally tortured by flavor and finally - in the last chapter - Souma's food literally kills someone (and he goes to jail since it is illegal to kill people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And then we'll have an arc about the perfect meal that is supposed to revive the dead.

Wait, this is getting into Toriko territory...

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Compendium posted:

And then we'll have an arc about the perfect meal that is supposed to revive the dead.

Wait, this is getting into Toriko territory...

That already happened in Yakitate!!

Well, technically it was bread that enabled time travel which prevented people from dying in the past, but, same difference.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, the reactions in this manga are exaggerated for comedic effect. In Yakitate Japan, that sort of reaction would literally involve being punched in the face. Here, food is limited to being delicious/nasty and making people feel good/bad. Even the really flowery descriptions have been mostly limited to professional judges and expert chefs. If I recall correctly, that fried chicken wrap thing just made people exclaim that it tasted very good and that they wanted more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The reactions are all figurative rather than literal.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Xelkelvos posted:

The reactions are all figurative rather than literal.

They were only figurative in Yakitate too once upon a time. Until the writer decided that really good bread should kill you. And then it kept escalating.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man one of the first reactions we ever saw in Yakitate was a guy bending his body into the shape of a cresecent moon. They were pretty much always literal.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I remember reading Yakitate and enjoying the first several chapters or so, but it just couldn't hold itself up in later arcs and I can't place my finger on why that is.

Granted, bread so good that it can kill might do that to your story, but I'm sure there were other factors.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After the Monaco Cup, Yakitate descended into an endless hell of repeating the exact same story over and over again, which just made all of the characters kind of insufferable. Then, for the final arc, it crossed the line between wacky and stupid, which is admittedly quite the feat.

Whenever I feel like rereading it, I just stop after Monaco and pretend everyone went on to be incredibly successful bakers. It's much better than watching Kawachi turn into what he did. :smith:

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Yakitate is redeemed solely because the author predicted the ending to the series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hell's Kitchen is a wonderful alternative to Shougeki no Souma in case you need more cook-offs. It's a little sillier in places, but that's more due to the nature of the setting rather than out of tasting reactions and such.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been reading Hell's Kitchen for a while and I'm admittedly on the fence regarding the current arc. Still, it's good fun as far as cooking manga goes.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Chapter 60 is up.

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If there is one thing about this manga besides great art and food orgasms, it's the equal opportunity fanservice/disservice. :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This is the chapter that flicked the Shoujo switch and yet doesn't annoy the poo poo out of me. Amazing. I don't ever think I've seen a Shoujo switch that didn't annoy the poo poo out of me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So are Souma and Tadokoro going to be testing the quality of the produce?

Or is Isshiki just trolling and they're going to be the janitors? :v:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Megumi continues to be adorable. I like how everyone outside of the dorm was like "that dude is wearing a naked apron. Do I point it out or not"

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Chapter 61 is up.

I want to know how to make Cundams out of carrots :O

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-061--Putting-Your-Heart-Into-It?id=189857

Link.

I know what I'm getting tonight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess Souma can just do anything if it's slightly related to food.

Also that was incredibly nostalgic if only because gyoza was one of the first things I learned to make. :unsmith:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was an adorable chapter and now I want gyoza so bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how the Polar Star dorm consistently has ragers where all of the underage students get drunk to poo poo, but its never explicitly mentioned why Takumi's having random breakdowns and everyone's passing out on the floor fully clothed. The only time this was even referenced is when Souma asked that chick if she was home brewing sake, and she's like "um, no."

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/230838/shokugeki-no-soma_ch62_by_casanova/2 :black101:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Alice's :getin: face is pretty something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Please let this be the return of the peanut butter squid.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

That pose looks very unsafe.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, they're getting to the teeth of the main tournament pretty fast. I wonder how many chapters this match will be...?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Damegane posted:

He sharpens all his knives using his forearms. :black101:

I was expecting his opponent to be Tadokoro, which would've made for a somewhat bittersweet food fight; this is probably going to be much more entertaining though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The only problem is that its actually quite plausible for Soma to lose to Alice, except not in the very first round. Unless Tadokoro is winning it all.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
The most likely result is the Nikumi option, where Soma points out that Alice has lost touch with the heart of the cardscooking and forgotten the basics, wowing the judges with something completely mundane and overlooked.

Damegane posted:

My chef friend tells me that it's very common to test the sharpness of your knives by using it to shave your arm, and when the hair grows back to a certain length it's time to sharpen the knife again.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

vibratingsheep posted:

The most likely result is the Nikumi option, where Soma points out that Alice has lost touch with the heart of the cardscooking and forgotten the basics, wowing the judges with something completely mundane and overlooked.

My chef friend tells me that it's very common to test the sharpness of your knives by using it to shave your arm, and when the hair grows back to a certain length it's time to sharpen the knife again.

But you don't grow hair on that side of your arm

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

pandaK posted:

I definitely have hair on that side

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

pandaK posted:

Unless I'm some hairy werewolf monstrosity, you totally do though?

Maybe not in huge amounts, but there's certainly hair there.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OneDeadman posted:

Unless I'm some hairy werewolf monstrosity, you totally do though?

Maybe not in huge amounts, but there's certainly hair there.

Isn't Souma Asian? They tend to not have hair there.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

pandaK posted:

I'll get back to you after I finish my google image search for closeup pictures of asian inner arms

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Based on the esteemed source of "my arm", I can confirm that asians do in fact have hair on their arms. Not much though.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

pandaK posted:

Sorry to enlighten you, but "Asians" aren't some single uniform ethnic group. But in short, go take a bath in a Japanese bathhouse and you would be quickly disabused of that notion.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nah, the reactions in this manga are exaggerated for comedic effect. In Yakitate Japan, that sort of reaction would literally involve being punched in the face. Here, food is limited to being delicious/nasty and making people feel good/bad. Even the really flowery descriptions have been mostly limited to professional judges and expert chefs. If I recall correctly, that fried chicken wrap thing just made people exclaim that it tasted very good and that they wanted more.

Its just fanservice/humor. The only time it appeared to be literal was when Erina appeared to have an orgasm after eating Souma's furikake since the next few panels showed her struggling to stand. Even then, it was probably just fanservice/humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
New chapter

If I had to guess the outcome, Erina's dish will be superior in quality, but lose because the tools needed for molecular gastronomy are wrong for the context of bento-making; regular kitchens don't have centrifuges.