Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean they literally bring you up to the line of Erina being the one he wants to cook for.

Just short of hand holding and personally guiding you over the line.

The bigger problem is how like Souma's character would never leave his family's store closed for the year just showing up to cook for his friends.

His character never seems like he'd bail on that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

I mean they literally bring you up to the line of Erina being the one he wants to cook for.

Just short of hand holding and personally guiding you over the line.

The bigger problem is how like Souma's character would never leave his family's store closed for the year just showing up to cook for his friends.

His character never seems like he'd bail on that place.

It’s not as though most other characters haven’t had their characterization go through the wringer at this point

E: Or they’re like Alice and stay the same during the 3 seconds of screentime they get

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I checked out halfway through the Blue arc, how is best girl Hisako?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Literally the only cast member who came out with an as good or better character design in two separate timeskips

E: she did nothing of note though and the bowlcut she had in BLUE was unfortunate

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

don't worry, nobody developed at any point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Patware posted:

don't worry, nobody developed at any point

Erina got a development in that she regressed to a state somehow worse than she was at the start of the manga

As it turns out easily flustered bitch is not as bad as emotionless, miserable rear end in a top hat who shits on her friends

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Welp, I guess that title is how it goes down in history.

On a positive note: Shin Chuuka Ichiban's new anime is coming out next month, starting October 11th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIVziBdqQA

https://twitter.com/shin_chuichi

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-09-13/interview-the-creators-of-food-wars/.151017

This is kinda neat I guess and I'd also like to hear people's thoughts on it, interview with the creator haaaaahaha re: his statement on the ending

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 14, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just glad that:
  • They recognize the greatness of Slam Dunk. :rock:
  • That Rindo is best girl.
  • And that Magical Cabbage holds a special place in their hearts. :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-09-13/interview-the-creators-of-food-wars/.151017

This is kinda neat I guess and I'd also like to hear people's thoughts on it, interview with the creator haaaaahaha re: his statement on the ending

Well now I want to see what the original throughline for the finale was, since it might actually have been more coherent than what we got even if it had :lol: Souma and Erina marriage :lol:.

Also I loved that one of them admitted that Best Character Megumi was the one they wanted for a personal chef.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcTl85qHc8Y

The anime will not be allowed to die, it seems.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcTl85qHc8Y

The anime will not be allowed to die, it seems.

Super dissuading that they didn't show even a second of slides from the new episodes

E: I'd actually be really excited for this if they announced they were going anime original ending, there is 100% something in there that could be salvaged

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

did the third season's animation ever recover

i straight up stopped watching the anime after Souma vs Eizan just did not even try to live up to the faces

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Patware posted:

did the third season's animation ever recover

i straight up stopped watching the anime after Souma vs Eizan just did not even try to live up to the faces

There was animation?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently there was a fanbook released yesterday that had a couple of interesting bits of information about the ending: https://mobile.twitter.com/senrinoa/status/1180292501812338688?s=09 (twitter thread)

Tsukuda wanted to write an ending with Soma and Erina married but wasn’t sure how to fit that in :thunk:

Alice and Dog were never actually meant to be a couple and people projected that onto them :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

And Hayama married Jun

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahahaahahahahahaa

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
it's good this manga ended

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is he a woody allen fan

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
1) I would have been okay with this as the end result (because it's, like, that bullshit was /telegraphed/ to happen from the very start when they first met with the chicken furikake) but no poo poo you can't make that make sense when you remove all the chances of developing their time together organically like in the early tests by going high-stakes with everything and making Erina the goddamn principal.

2) Huh. What kind of relationship did he think they'd have where Alice cheerfully drags him around everywhere?

3) sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did people not think he was married to Jun when they talked about his wedding ring?

I mean, of all the weird, creepy, abusive poo poo that was jammed into this thing by the end, it's not the thing to stand out.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Oh, no, that wedding ring in the last chapter had to be for Jun, it's just... it's still creepy since she's kind of like his mom? So seeing it come up again is just... ugh

poo poo frosting on top of poo poo sundae, that kind of thing

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i would be skeeved if what we saw of their actual relationship in the comic itself felt maternal at all, which it didn't. it had clearly not set in like that past a certain point

like out of all the other things smashing together the only one in the entire crop that made me go "sure that makes sense" was hayama and jun getting married

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

She was over twice his age and he was a literal child when she took him in. Nothing about them was portrayed as romantic, it was a formerly destitute kid and his kind of klutzy mom that gave him an entirely new, better life.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 6, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

She was over twice his age.

On the other hand she wasn't his half sister looking to psychologically abuse him into helping with a wacky power scheme.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I know this is pretty much dead (for good reasons) but the anime's airing again now and it's confirmed for 25 episodes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How long was the regiment Shokugeki?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

How long was the regiment Shokugeki?

Long enough that it’s going to be done in 12 episodes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I did come across a youtube channel by a chef going though the series. It's kind of interesting hearing him talk about the cooking and restauranting on the show. He's also apparently going to start going through Toriko and Restaurant To Another World.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gyges posted:

I did come across a youtube channel by a chef going though the series. It's kind of interesting hearing him talk about the cooking and restauranting on the show. He's also apparently going to start going through Toriko and Restaurant To Another World.

it's gonna be real interesting when we start getting to the end huh

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

RTAW is pretty easy but I would love to see a Chef react to Toriko. Toriko is crazy and beautiful enough to almost make me want to watch a reaction video, what a powerful manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Patware posted:

it's gonna be real interesting when we start getting to the end huh
I was about ready to say. I just watched a bunch of the videos and they're great but it almost hurts watching this dude who seems to be a pretty well-trained, well-educated chef be really impressed with the majority of the dishes and ideas when we all know what is waiting at the end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lol, I just watched his reaction to Azami's introduction. It's great, and he's threatening to revoke Rendou's best girl status for supporting him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Lol, I just watched his reaction to Azami's introduction. It's great, and he's threatening to revoke Rendou's best girl status for supporting him.

Whether to stan Rindou or Alice is the sort of question that keeps a person up at night.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gyges posted:

Annoying, I was just about to come here and link his channel.

From what I've seen so far, watching the forthcoming season will definitely be much more enjoyable watching it through his eyes than as is. He draws on his knowledge as a chef and calls out plot beats long before I knew they were happening the first time around when I was first encountering the content.

At any rate, he is an enthusiastic thumbs up from me as well, since he also has videos putting his touch and experimentation on the various Shokugeki dishes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 13, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Whether to stan Rindou or Alice is the sort of question that keeps a person up at night.

What if I stan Hisako?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man I keep watching those videos and they're really good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

What if I stan Hisako?

It's allowed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Watching that guy's videos reminded me of that girl that was Souma's classmate in middle school who liked him during the Karaage arc who IIRC never showed up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just discovered the anime and holy hell is it funny and dramatic