Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Chapter 39

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Aww yeah, Alice is up next. I've been looking forward to the modernist techniques they'll use for her dish more than any other contestant. I'm betting on a curried foam with some sous vide protein but judging by their reactions she probably piled up a bunch of chemicals on the plate.

Also, I feel like the peanut butter squid should have been higher on the character poll.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

The candy he had with Sakaki is still a Chekov's gun waiting to be used. Obviously he put candy in the rice and it'll ruin the great meal they just had so the judges will vote in favor of Alice because Soma can't not try gross combinations even when an important competition is on the line.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

I can only hope the beginning of the next chapter has everyone's shocked reactions as the director strips again only to reveal that it's because he threw up on his robe and needs to change. Then we're treated to a beautifully drawn picture of a pressed licorice sheet sitting on top of skittle rice.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

I'm honestly surprised at how many of the students are grossed out by this. The guests I can understand, but breaking down a carcass is something taught in the first year at most culinary schools. It's really common when dealing with seafood too. When I buy a live fish at the supermarket, they club its head right behind the counter, and when you buy a lobster you generally kill it yourself. If you want to be humane, you plunge a knife into its head.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I didn't do it with apple.

I wanted to try something more normal first, to have something to compare it to. That one was just with garlic, basil, pancetta, bit of butter, shallots, green onions. Mixed egg yolk in the rice at the end after taking it away from heat, I was half following a recipie online, but it sort of reminded me of carbonarra without needing cream.

Used Arborio rice, which I never even heard of either. It's got a real nice nutty flavor out of the box. It would probably go good with apple and bacon and egg. Garlic and apple I'm not so sure about. Might have to check the manga recipe! Didn't know they actually had recipes.

It just seemed like a really useful dish, either as a side or a main course. It's a pain to make, but not too time consuming.

The stock is a pain in the butt. Used a LOT, the rice absorbs so much. You can use whatever stock you're pairing the rice with, beef for meat, chicken for chicken, seafood, etc. It ended up being a bit salty, might try low sodium stock next time I do this, or maybe dilute it?

Good news, you can get the same results with a pressure cooker in about 5 minutes of active time instead of standing over a stove stirring. Just make sure you fold in anything you don't want obliterated after it comes out of the pressure cooker.

Easy reading: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-risotto-in-7-minutes/

Technical reading: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/pressure-cooked-vegetable-risotto-2/

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

If you're looking to try out sous vide the cooler method is cheap and easy for an exploratory venture. Pour hot water in a cooler and use chilled metal or ice to lower it to a couple degrees F above your target temperature. Tender meats generally only cook for about an hour which is short enough for a closed cooler to maintain without any problem.

You only need tougher vacuum seal bags if you're using something with sharp edges like bones or doing a higher/longer cook time or temp that'll degrade the seals on a ziploc bag. For something like steak, chicken or fish you're fine using a ziploc bag with water displacement to squeeze out the air.

If you decide you like it, the current models aren't that big. Most of the home models are designed to clip onto the side of a large pot and can easily stow away in a drawer somewhere. The Joule is particularly small and can probably slide into a cutlery drawer. They've gotten way more affordable too. Most models will run about $200 but you can frequently find the Anova on sale for about $100.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Alice losing is the worst thing to happen after a very bad arc.

Tiramisu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 18, 2016

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'll await the dark chef that uses his own meat in his cooking

Art imitates life, I guess.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Yeah it’d actually create the opposite effect and give a breading that’s heavy and laden with oil. The oil needs to start at a temperature that causes vaporization of water to form a barrier that pushes back against the oil and prevents absorption.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

I hope when he makes it to the end of the castle, Erina's already defeated Saiba without leaving the chair and was just waiting around to dump all the paperwork that Soma missed during the arc into his lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Nani the gently caress is with this translation.