Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the big lesson here is going to be that his presentation leaves much to be desired.

Well he'll probably just partner with the main girl to take care of his presentation problem since she cares so much about what the customer thinks. They have to make her somewhat relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The reactions are all figurative rather than literal.

They were only figurative in Yakitate too once upon a time. Until the writer decided that really good bread should kill you. And then it kept escalating.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Ataru13 posted:

Huh, crushing the lobster shells, is he making some sort of ramen bisque?

That sounds delicious. They already have curry ramen. Just thin the bisque slightly and it would be great.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Isn't karaage just boneless fried chicken? Sticking that in a wrap isn't some unique innovation, though the specific wrapping they used was unusual.

It's flavored differently and generally not as dry as regular boneless fried chicken. But yeah it's not really unique. You would just need to finagle with some of the ingredients. Flour tortilla would probably be awful. Ooh maybe a naan wrap would work well.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Eej posted:

Well no, they don't get brought out in front of a bunch of high school kids and have their heads chopped off so you can drain the fresh blood with a two page spread of how terrified it is when it has its head chopped off. It's a little different but hey at least half the audience and judges had the same reaction I did. I mean, we're not at the part where old dudes have their clothes fly off as they messily consume Ortolan underneath a napkin or something so it's not like this is some horrible sin the manga has committed.

It's a culinary school. This is possibly the most socially acceptable place to publically kill an animal. That or a farm.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Hamburgers don't need to have pickles. :colbert:

That was the worst chapter. He made a gyro. You shouldn't be able to win a hamburger contest with a gyro. They just had a chapter saying that Alice failed because she didn't understand bentos.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

You're missing the point: the lemon was already included in the list of planned ingredients but the extra one was olive oil; it didn't matter if he had put lemon everywhere since that was already going to be in the dish anyways, it's a little too far-fetched to predict he would have made the curd rather than use it in the batter, which is far more likely.

Why would you use it in the batter? It's way harder to remove that olive aftertaste (though I question how he removed it from the curd) and it's very hard to screw with that exact portions of a baked good without screwing it up. At least he could mask the olive aftertaste with a ton of sugar and flavoring. Doing that in batter would screw up all the other proportions.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

There are plenty of reasons to use it in the batter - has a different flavor that would complement the lemon, is healthier, makes the overall feeling of the cake base a lot lighter, etc. Also, one could use the olive oil in the semifreddo itself not to mention that usage of olive oil v. butter in deserts is rather common in Italy. There are conversion charts for butter v. olive oil, so it'd be relatively easy to do so without screwing up. There are a ton of options that Aldini could have gone with that's why I still believe that it was far easier for Subaru to predict the dish rather than what direction Aldini would have gone with in his moment of desperation.

As an aside, if you want to make Subaru's Preserved Lemon Semifreddo or Aldini's never-seen-before :rolleyes: lemon curd, enjoy!

That's legitimately fascinating.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Souma's secret weapon: bushmeat!

Beef stew so good that it kills you.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

If Mimisaka is going to copy Soma then Soma just has to copy someone better than himself. Comic logic.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I still find it kind of funny that a guy who learned french cuisine at a japanese vocational high school became a huge success in paris. Likewise, the sons of an italian restaurant in italy got sent to a japanese vocational high school to prepare them to take over the family business. All of the foreign food made in this manga is decidedly japanese-style and made to please japanese judges, but there is never any recognition of this fact.

Eh. I kind of feel like Iron Chef America did the same thing. That just happens with food competitions.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Soma 99 - up on Shonen Jump International

Going first? Death flag. Saying your opponent will finish third and is worthless? Death flag.

I'd have more confidence in there being a real debate as to the overall winner if it weren't for those two facts plus the fact that this is almost assuredly where the anime will stop.

Yeah but who will be second? That's the hard part.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Dexo posted:

Can't wait for the panel of Souma wielding some sort of gun next week.

Lightsaber complete with Death Star planetary taste explosion.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

That was super dumb. The judging criteria was nonsensical.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

I only see one interesting possibility from this.

Cooking food out of love is basically Megumi's speciality. Megumi teaching arc begins.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

pentyne posted:

I feel bad for the gloomy kid. Now Alice is going to lord it over him that he technically lost to Souma as well.

He was going to have to deal with Alice lording it over him once they get married like they're totally gonna.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

1. It's a dumb idea and will more than likely only be used to hook up Erina with Souma
2. So what about Ryou, who also came from a lovely backstory and started cooking for a girl all the time?

The second Ryou gets laid his food will become euphoric.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I watched people subject themselves to retail as a janitor for a year and I don't understand why people would torture themselves like that.

Survival?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Kyte posted:

For all her faults and arrogance, she respects effort and talent. She just has a huge beef with those she perceives as arrogant without the skills to back them up, like she initially viewed Souma (after that it was pure stubbornness ofc) and currently sees the head chef.

--

E: Actually a better way to see it is that she basically rates people according to her cooking skill. Low-skilled people are basically peasants and should just bow to their superiors (thus the bit about killing off small cooking clubs back at the beginning, her attitude to the head chef and so on). OTOH she already recognized Megumi as someone of skill, thus she treats her like a proper peer.
Basically she's elitist as gently caress. v:v:v

Megumi is a Jojo character. Nobody disrespects Jojo characters. Therefore Erina respects Megumi.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Iron Wok Jan is really good, but only the first 3 volumes have been translated and no one seems to have the rest of it.

The physical volumes have been completely translated but they're drat hard to find.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that they'll set it up as a companion business to Yugioh's dishes. At most food festival (even really nice ones), pretty much nobody goes and eats one thing and then leaves. What I'm guessing he does is something parasitic to Yugioh because he has crippling overspecialization. Hopefully it will be a little more interesting than that because that's kind of what happened in the Nikumi shokugeki.

If he sold bubble tea drinks he'd make a killing and sell way more than whatever Yugi is selling.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Almost as if that was her character arc. Funny that.

I'm still annoyed she refused to wash dishes. Even the best chefs in the world will still wash dishes occasionally. It's a kitchen necessity.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If at some point Soma doesn't perfect peanut-butter squid and use it to win a tough shokugeki then what was even the point of this manga?

That's not even a hard recipe to perfect. Thai peanut butter sauce is great and octopus doesn't have a particularly strong flavor.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Hot dog bread is fine. Japanese breads are sweet but they don't eat bread nearly as often. It's the exact same idea as a donut.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The other option I see is Soma's crew ends up failing on day 5 because they have to prevent Alice's team from getting expelled.

Alice is totally going to win the entire competition and accidentally get Souma and Megumi expelled. Until she just buys all his food with the power of money.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Or the joke is that he just carries around a giant sword, what a nerd.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Clarste posted:

Because even though girls can't cook as well as men can, they have breasts.

That's sexist. Men can have breasts too.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Final battle. 8 on 1. Central vs Megumi. Ora.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

I need this tournament to hurry up so that Megumi can challenge Soma for the 1st seat right after they've beaten everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Takumi is going to brutally cut his arm and win despite the blood loss. Then he'll be out of the next round on a technicality.