Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He just needs to beat the smell guy, is all. It isn't like he is gonna lose, so I'm more interested in how Megumi is gonna pull through. Underdogs are way more interesting than prodigies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone else think that spaghetti napolitan is an unbelievably vile concept?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought it looked good, though I'd eat anything with cheese in it.

It is spaghetti with ketchup used as the only sauce. It does not normally contain curry-infused pasta filled with cheese.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I honestly have no frame of reference to know how that stew tastes. Dissolved fish liver broth?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, the reactions in this manga are exaggerated for comedic effect. In Yakitate Japan, that sort of reaction would literally involve being punched in the face. Here, food is limited to being delicious/nasty and making people feel good/bad. Even the really flowery descriptions have been mostly limited to professional judges and expert chefs. If I recall correctly, that fried chicken wrap thing just made people exclaim that it tasted very good and that they wanted more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kind of hope that Souma loses here and the rest of the tournament arc is all about Tadokoro's journey to the top.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

What, are you mad? He needs to beat her, or she won't join his harem!!

Screw Souma. Let him join Megumi's harem.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Souma loses sometimes, but not in the first stage of a tournament arc. He might lose later on, but there is no point in even having a tournament if the mc barely participates. As rad as it might be if the rest of the arc was about Megumi going through the tournament after Souma loses, that ain't happening.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I was rereading this recently, and I noticed just how amazingly funny a lot of the recipes really are. Like, early on Souma deglazes a pan with wine and then thickens it with starch and then people react like it was this revolutionary new technique.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dantes posted:

We live in a time where they had to invent a (disgusting) microwavable mac & cheese because boiling water was getting to hard for a new generation. In relative terms, deglazing sounds like a bankai (and the auto corrector don't even recognize it as a valid word...) .

They didn't even call it deglazing. Instead, they described the entire process in detail as though they had never heard of it before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pyronic posted:

can you link this I dont remember it.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-013--Quiet-Don--An-Eloquent-Don?id=158030

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hope Alice eventually beats Erina. Alice is so much more likable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, that is wonderful. He was obsessed with battle cooking even before he started attending the school where it is a tradition.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even though they keep talking up how amazing the academy is, most of the students are likely related to alumni. It doesn't even seem to be well-known overseas. In the end, it is just a japanese trade school. So, why would anyone who didn't already speak the language bother to attend?

Oh, but was that indian guy half-japanese?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just about all of the dishes in contests are either japanese cuisine or foreign cuisine with a japanese twist. Even that Chaliapin (translated as Shalyapin in the manga) steak from early on was actually a japanese recipe. However, all of the judges have also been japanese (because they are in japan). What's wrong with trying to appeal to the judges?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Isn't karaage just boneless fried chicken? Sticking that in a wrap isn't some unique innovation, though the specific wrapping they used was unusual.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the seasoning, batter and cooking method are different enough that I would call it it's own dish. But yeah, what they did is not all that unique. I think the point was to show the way you have to think to beat or bypass a business competitor, i.e. find a niche that they don't fill and dominate it.

Plus all this cooking stuff might as well be magic to most Japanese boys, remember that in Japan outside of professional cooking men just don't cook, it's seen as a womans job.

I'm pretty sure Cooking Papa has been ongoing for about 20 years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought that he would have stripped, but couldn't due to the fact that his loincloth had come undone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So its primary appeal is a very gummy/sticky meat patty? I'm not sure why having food stick to the roof of your mouth is supposed to be pleasant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ethiser posted:

All hamburgers are sandwiches but not all snadwiches are hamburgers.

Unless the hamburger is a gyro, in which case it is not a sandwich (or a hamburger).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess this latest contest is just a demonstration of a simple rule you should always follow. Never go to an american food restaurant while you are overseas. They will get it subtly, disturbingly wrong. Well, obviously not to the extent of calling minced turtle in steamed bread or a gyro hamburgers, but it usually isn't particularly edible either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh god. Gee, what can someone make with oil, eggs and lemons? That extra layer is some kind of mayonnaise. That's an abomination against the very idea of desserts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Agh, the substitution threw me off. I even make lemon curd a couple times a year, but I didn't see that coming at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mimasaka has really been slacking when it comes to preparing to beat Souma. He said that he was surprised that such a good knife could be found in a mere special of the day shop, which means Mimasaka has no idea who Souma's father is. Sure, cooking talent isn't hereditary, but it means he was trained by one of the best professional chefs in the world. If Mimasaka didn't properly investigate Souma's background, what else is he missing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

Well the thing is his father took the surname of his mother, who is a nobody as far as the cooking world goes. The only people who knows who his father is are the Polar Dorm folks, and I doubt they'll be feeling charitable towards Mimasaka. It's part of the reason why so many people are surprised at how good Souma is.

Yeah, but that's mostly because no one actually bothered looking into Souma's family. His dad is currently an active chef under that name, so he obviously isn't a complete hermit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm still getting cracked up when people are acting shocked by the most basic things.

"And now he's... oh god... he's finely cutting the vegetables. :aaa:"

Even worse, he is finely cutting a very common mixture of vegetables in order to use them in a conventional way. I'm waiting for someone to go apeshit over the idea that someone added salt to a dish.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I still find it kind of funny that a guy who learned french cuisine at a japanese vocational high school became a huge success in paris. Likewise, the sons of an italian restaurant in italy got sent to a japanese vocational high school to prepare them to take over the family business. All of the foreign food made in this manga is decidedly japanese-style and made to please japanese judges, but there is never any recognition of this fact.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is smoked meat in general largely absent from japanese cuisine, then?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If none of it is cooked in the same pot, is it even stew? Granted, it wasn't required to be stew at all. Souma just decided to use beef stew for the contest, so this beef assortment in a miso sauce thing isn't breaking any rules.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Compendium posted:

There's sous vide style!

The very concept of sous vide would kill every person in the audience.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"Food that punches you in the face" and "food that smells amazing but is otherwise unremarkable" don't seem to work with the theme very well, no.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't get why so many people here have such enormous hard-ons for alliteration.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kyte posted:

Because alliteration sounds good most of the time?

It really doesn't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For all that Erina gets lots of focus on color pages and such, the manga is set up so that she very rarely interacts with the main character. Even if she wasn't by far the least interesting female character, Erina simply hasn't been around enough to warrant being called the heroine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are reminiscent of a lot of things. Take it to tvtropes if you want to classify every visual reference.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, showmanship counts. The appearance and presentation of food can enhance the taste, nothing new there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Megumi vs. Alice would actually be very interesting because their cooking styles are radically different. Erina's would just be good because she is good- she lacks any real defining characteristics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For actually working as a cook Megumi probably has the best talent.

What is with all of the fabulously wealthy chef families, though?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, where does this guy think that chefs get money from? His philosophy makes no sense, as absolutely every person on earth knows that cooking is a service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rindou is right though, it is more interesting to join the guy who is spectacularly incapable of running a restaurant because that poo poo's hilarious. Like, he probably couldn't even manage to do one of those student food stalls without getting punched in the face.