Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait... doesn't smell have a huge impact on taste, to the point where you can flavour some foods just by having the right fragrance nearby? How can something that smells so bad it would even reach the audience and make them choke taste good when eaten? This is particularly weird cause they had that one guy who could smell real good just a couple chapters ago make a big deal out of smells and spices.

Durian, stinky tofu, and cheeses are all things that smell horrendously offensive to different people but are widely enjoyed by others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well I just powered through all of this. The title caught my eye, but man this is nothing like Yakitate Japan. I should know because I just reread that and man that series went to hell after the Monaco cup ended.

Takashi predicted that's what was going to happen though, and SnS has quite a few more chapters before it exhausts reaction images and ideas.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I honestly have no frame of reference to know how that stew tastes. Dissolved fish liver broth?

If you're an American, I think you'd have a really hard time with it. The texture is pretty squishy, but it's very flavorful. A pretty heartwarming chapter - did Tosh invent food moe?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Yakitate is redeemed solely because the author predicted the ending to the series.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is Ryou from Boston?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
On first read, I thought that he had added something to his cake that made Takumi's taste bad in comparison. The candied lemons is kinda dumb - how did no one notice it before?

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 21, 2014

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/shokugeki-no-soma/86/2

N-n-not bacon and mesquite !!

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/shokugeki-no-soma/98/2

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Shounen is one-dimensional with whatever theme it draws from the hat in the first chapter - it's just a treat that the artist is decent (though the last two chapters looked really funky) and megumi is still adorable :3:

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Big souma: http://casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/129/page/2

Legitimately cracked up at the reveal

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
bad chapter but alice winning the whole thing will make it all worthwhile

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

ah, resting cooked meat under a loose cover, what an advanced technique

maybe next week someone will salt the water before they boil pasta

edit: i get that this is shonen and all that, but sometimes i find my eyes rolling

Can someone who actually bakes comment if Yakitate 100% was just as bad, or were the breads/Ja-pans actually interesting/challenging baking techniques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

He is the protagonist of a shounen manga that isn't a harem love comedy. Dude is effectively a eunuch.

protagonists of harem love comedies in shounen magazines are eunuchs as well though...:japan: