Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man they chose the wrong chapter to use as the preview in Jump Alpha (Chapter 2).

Then again, given their want to arse the UK off with the Digital GNs anyway (Oh they love to spam your inbox with "BUY ONE PUNCH MAN!" but fun if you can actually do that) I suppose it doesn't really matter. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's an officially coloured version of him on his throne of skulls that I want to get but my phone is slow as hell.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Azami's plan isn't bad. Meritocracies are terrible.
You're right; thinking IS hard. Let's bake cookies instead. :rolleyes:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 17, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think the cries of "This plan is stupid as this is gonna kill Totsuki" are largely irrelevant because this whole thing, hell Azami's entire character, is about using anything that he gets his mitts on to further his own ends.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if his endgame was to largely leave Totsuki an automated AzSoc (:shrug:) Indoctrinated Chef Factory, leave it to do (maybe completely break Erina to the point of acting as puppet priest of the new order) and to pull this off on a larger scale.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

While Azami's system is definitely terrible in the long run, it's going to have a lot of short-term appeal to a large percentage of the current students who worry about failing. What's going to be more interesting is how he convinced the Elite 10, unless he guaranteed that they would be members of central.

Isn't an Elite spot something that can be contested via Shokugeki? You figure under this system that's done with.

Wark Say posted:

The Naked Muscle Legacy.
:toot: Ul-tuh-mit, Muscle! Ul-tuh-mit, Muscle! :toot:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not put on the impression that Students that flunk out of Totsuki are 100% out on their rear end if they drop out. They're still the worst of the best.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 19, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So if what I'm hearing from the grape vine regarding 140 is true (Shoukugeki's are basically kangaroo courts in Central's Pocket) this has gotten :unsmigghh: to the n'th degree.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 23, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

If the anime does a second season, where would the next stopping point be?

Here, the thing ends like Shin Mazinger Z with opera espousing the greatness of the new order and maybe a mountin being split in half.

oh and speaking of which;

Would you look at that, not five minutes, OK let's be generous here, three or so hours, into AzSoc and we already have Expulsions. It's like this system is a load of bullshit or something

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's probably an Eizan-only thing, given the way the dude plays. The other members, if they do accept, probably won't play like that.

I get that impression but I think that having The first few AzSoc Shokugeki be Eizan fronted is the prefect way to scare anyone who's not balls to the wall about challenging the status quo off of it as being a prole is far more conducive to everyone in the AzSoc System

So even if he's Out on his arse in the following chapters, I get the impression the damage will have already been done.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if putting Erina in check (through the near inevitable Polaris Star Shokugeki) for Azumi to put under his boot isn't part of the overall gambit.

I'm sure he'd just love to continue where he left off.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 27, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if he's just straight up pissed off. Doesn’t he know Erina's circumstances with Azumi?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get the feeling that this is all to make it so Azumi gets his hands on Erina.

I don't for one second believe Azumi doesn't know where Erina is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

With the direction Tootsuki is going, Souma will be both unwelcome and it won't provide any value to him. Hanging out with his friends at the dorm and learning from them is pretty much the only thing left for him there. So either he wins and the dorm stays, or he gets expelled from a place that doesn't care about anymore.

Actually wouldn't flunking out now, whilst the place has a reputation, be far more beneficial?

Hell a 1st year 92nd Gen certificate might actually be worth more than a full 92nd Gen diploma depending on how quickly AzSoc ravages the reputation of the school.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Isn't there a veritable stampede of Livestock animals at their disposal?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The gun is made of dumpling batter.

And is delicious.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Saeki Shun should be doing reaciton faces for Phoenix Wright.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

But that's just how he wins every shokugeki. The twist in this one was supposed to be winning a rigged shokugeki.

I thought that was throwing Eizan off and with that the Judges.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I wonder what Shinomiya would think of the new Totsuki?

If it was in place during the Hell Camp (let's assume that'd still a thing) it'd be perfect to feed into his being a complete asshat.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And that's line chefs with the exact same methods drilled into them too, btb.

So you have that many chefs trying to get to X many jobs who will then poison the culture of any restaurant they work in with the New School's philosophy (and/or be rendered unemployable due to that mentality making them incompatible with the positions).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 7, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Compendium posted:

All of these loving truth bombs man, I'm dying at Souma's expression on the last page.

Never mind that, the look on Azami's face is something else.

Is it the face of Oh poo poo, I've effectively picked a fight with Gohan or the look of Seriously? You're Jyoichiro's kid?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I will laugh so hard if this entire thing is because Azami is jealous of Jouichiro's wife.

I think it's like that but he thinks Jouichiro wasted his talents on being a family man.

Azami strikes me as the sort of loon who'd think that and think it a failing of the education system.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Eej posted:

I'm pretty good not having an arc about getting underaged kids drunk

Someone hasn't heard of the pudding of relativity

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though to be fair the two terms have been used intermittently.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or to put it another way; given enough time a Tōtsuki Diploma won't be worth enough to be a Costa place-mat, never-mind qualifications to be a Barista.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 4, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Those must be the world's most extreme cleaning and admin classes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And now I can only think of Admin Shokugeki.

Suddenly, Calculators!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Clearly what would happen is the protagonist would waltz in and sort everything using Google Sheets.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

Google Docs is useful for many things but full-featured office program it's not.

My point exactly

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

New Chapter.

Soma is about to get crushed.

At least the stakes have gone beyond Totsuki now and Central can't just be left well enough alone.

We were in dire need of a conflict lock for a while now.

NowonSA posted:

Thirded, make it happen.

:agreed:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, wow, how do the main characters not call out how dumb Central is?

Because nine times out of ten calling the idiot with the gun an idiot is a good way to get shot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

"Alright, head chef of the Mitamura family restaurant: I challenge you to a duel! If you cannot defeat my minion in battle, you must close your restaurant!"

"Why would I agree to that?"

"uh"

"Because if you don't I'll simply buy everything out from under you."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's also the fact he's an out of his gourd child abuser who considers Soma's Dad leaving the school and running a shopping strip restaurant (And maybe even having a wife) to be some sort of terrible wronging of God.

The thing isn't that he's got a solid plan, it's that he has the means to act on his utterly insane plan that would cause untold damage in the name of his ego.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 17, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean I don't think the second season needed confirmation given it comes out in 2 weeks.

Knowing this industry...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh come now, this isn't Nisekoi. It wouldn't waste time like that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Erina's VA's getting replaced for the long haul, apparently, she's now voiced by Hisako Kanemoto, who was one of the leads in Gargantia on the Verderous Planet and Sailor Mercury in Crystal.

Huh, what brought that about?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh god we're stuck in the "and he goes to the cabinet" loop

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last 4-5 weeks Soma's been ranked 10th or so out of 13 consistently when it normally ranges anywhere from 1st to 8th or so (the last time it placed highly was the train chapter where it got 2nd). And given that's for chapter ~182 and this plot hasn't stepped up at all since then, that rank isn't going to change much in the next few weeks. It's a fairly big deal for a series because that ranking can be a major contributing factor on whether or not it gets axed from the magazine. Big enough that the author actually made a twitter post commenting on the recent reception: https://twitter.com/tsukudayuto/status/790913605558411264 saying essentially that he knows the fight with Hayama hasn't been well received, but that it was a plot he felt necessary to include.

On one hand, it is admirable that he is deciding to stick to this even if I have to call into question if this truly was the best way to go about it.

On the other hand, he's dealing with Weekly Shonen Jump, for fucks sake. He should know what snake he's handling and the non-existant patience the readers have for everything except stupid elongated love triangles.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 30, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The winner is going to be the Jump editorial at the rate this is going.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Now this has to happen. "You call that a knife?"

I will sue someone if this doesn't cause Knifey Spoony to ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's kind of a weird way to deal with mental breakdowns.

Removing yourself from the source of the stress is like the "pour cold water" part of treating a mental breakdown.