Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I'm almost certain the title is a mistranslation. It should at least be "The Man Who Came in from the Cold". Don't translators read books any more? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I actually like Alice and Soma's dynamic. There's no tsundere nonsense like with Erina; it's just two people who kind of like and respect each other. Cool, but relaxed and not unfriendly.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I think Alice might get disqualified on theme here. Something that requires Liquid Nitrogen to keep fresh isn't something I would think of as "easy storage", at least not for a lunchbox.

Penalised, maybe, but it would be such a lame way of losing that I reckon Soma would almost have to request a rematch.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I kind of laughed when the translation (and presumably the original text) used the french word for juice. It's just juice!
When a translator puts liquid nitrogen in scare quotes, you know you're onto a winner. :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
For those of you worried that this series is just going to go through the shonen motions, please don't forget that this happened.

I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, this discussion puts me in mind of an old Iron Chef episode where the Iron Chef went up against a French chef, in France. The two French judges awarded higher points to the French chef's dishes, and the two Japanese judges awarded higher points to the Japanese chef's dishes. I suppose you could chalk that up to national pride or whatever, but I'd be willing to accept the outcome as a matter of personal taste.

It seems reasonable that you'd try and play to the judges' preferences here too. I personally think that's gaming the system a bit, but it's not like you can measure taste objectively, so why not? None of the characters seem to think it's bad, anyway.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Oh my god! He "removed the hot water"! :magical:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Could someone remind me what the "Hishoko" thing is all about? If it came up before, I just don't remember anything about it.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

Hisho means secretary. Hisho + Hisako = Hishoko

Thanks. I'd guessed it was some sort of pun, but I couldn't remember anyone calling her that before.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

This series is getting picked up in the US imprint of Weekly Shonen Jump, by the way. Yes, it is still called "Food Wars" for some loving reason.

To be fair, however dumb it may be "Food Wars" still tells us a lot more about the series than "Shokugeki no Souma".

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Being outright poisonous never stopped people from eating pufferfish.

At least once, at any rate.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I really love how Alice's mother is exactly like Alice, only even more so.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

MajorMarcus posted:

It was a Viz rip, but it was taken down fairly quickly. Just subscribe to Shonen Jump. It's not that expensive.

Out of curiosity, is it actually possible to read WSJ without a tablet of some sort? A way didn't seem to present itself.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I wonder if this chapter would have felt better if the judges had said "Yup, Hayama's tastes the best. Better luck next time guys!" instead of that nonsense about signatures or whatever.

It's like the author heard all the criticism about Soma winning everything and just threw his toys out of the pram.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Kyte posted:

Exactly!
That's why the entire plot is him finding a waifu to cook for. :v:

A premise to redeem the entire anime industry.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Maybe it's an "easy to learn, difficult to master" kind of thing? I figure any idiot can beat some eggs and milk, bung them in the microwave and come out with something perfectly edible, but restaurant-quality food is going to need skill, judgement etc. Presumably eggs showcase those skills? Or maybe it's a bit like what you said, since most prospectives are going to have a slightly different background, but everyone eats eggs.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
On the other hand, it would neatly sidestep any risk of yet another paint-by-numbers tsundere relationship.

Hell, until Erina actually says or does something interesting, I'd rather Souma end up with Alice. At least she has a personality. Albeit weird.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

There aren't even the same number of people :colbert:

And Soma is sitting in Tadakoro's seat. :colbert:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Speaking of the anime... is it just me, or does Erina sound like she's voiced by Shizuka Itoh? :psyduck:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ukiyo-e manga... that's amazing. :allears:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Death Bot posted:

We're going to find out that his dad was an overworked salaryman and him being lonely as a kid is why he cares so much about money. Redemption arc.

And ruin his entertainment value?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

net work error posted:

Soma's dad and Azami have the ultimate good dad-bad dad shokugeki which Azami loses meaning Soma's dad adopts Erina. Whacky cooking hijinks ensue.

She'd last a week before running back to Azami after one too many grilled squid with raspberry jam-style "experiments".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Could it be that having her strong suit drawn flustered her somewhat? I'm not saying she's letting him win on purpose or anything, but she was visibly bothered when she saw he'd picked soba for the theme, and I'd say it's not inconceivable that on some level she's throwing the match.

I mean, she's an artisan who's incredibly proud of her skills, so there's no force on Earth that's going to stop her making the best drat soba she can manage, but maybe that's all she's going to do. It's technically perfect, but lacks creative flair, which allows Soma to eke out a win with creativity or originality.