Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New chapter on Weekly Shounen Jump

Hayama and Kurokiba are apparently genre blind as all gently caress. There's no better way to guarantee you lose in embarrassing fashion that saying poo poo like you're planning to ignore the main character since you're just so much better than him. Not to mention they're both just dumb as a post for believing this despite the fact that Soma got a 93 in the prelimes, beat Alice in a one-on-one contest and reached the finals as a solo participant in the first place.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Kurokiba: "I am an expert with seafood and know everything about it and you could never beat me in a seafood competition. I don't know what that piece of seafood you have is."
Hayama: "I have an expert nose and can identify everything by smell alone. I don't know that thing you have is. Congratulations on third place, loser who can't cook."

Death flags everywhere.

There would have to be some kind of serious change in attitude for Souma to not just win this outright.

Allarion posted:

Since it's come up, Shokugeki is 食戟, with shoku meaning food or eat, and geki's kanji having a double meaning of being halberd or weapon arms but more commonly used as part of words for stimulation/inspiration/motivation/provacation. The Food Arms of Souma is the literal translation I guess, but considering it's an actual term for in the series, it's somewhat understandable to go with Food Wars, or Food Duels. Not actually sure if Viz localizes shokugeki as anything though(I don't think any of the latest issues have referred to shokugekis, and I haven't bought the first few volumes so I wouldn't know).

I believe that the actual matches are still called Shokugeki.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 4, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I think we all know that Aldini is the actual tsundere love interest.

There is a quite large contingent of Takumi-Soma fans that produce lots and lots of fanart and erotic fanfiction. Its easily the most popular crack pairing in this series.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Soma 99 - up on Shonen Jump International

Going first? Death flag. Saying your opponent will finish third and is worthless? Death flag.

I'd have more confidence in there being a real debate as to the overall winner if it weren't for those two facts plus the fact that this is almost assuredly where the anime will stop.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kyte posted:

The perils of overfiltering. Casanova's overaggressive cleaning kills all tones in favor for more contrast.

They like that look because it makes everything pop and look more "cleaned," at the same of removing significant levels of detail. Its probably because they don't have direct scans to work with, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its probably not a reference to anything beyond the fact that Kurokiba is clearly holding a Buster Sword - the design is identical sans the materia slots.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yukihira loving with the judges for maximum effect. Its super shonen, but somehow doesn't feel as cliche, probably just because they aren't physically fighting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

doyle-san posted:

I found this week's issue really hard to follow. Is he winning?

I'd say so. They're looking to have a big finale for the arc and this is presumably where the anime stops (assuming 2-cour). As with any series, the actual winner of any fight is arbitrary, though. I think they've done a very good job making me not want the other two douches to win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter up at WSJ-I.

Feels very much like the end of an anime (which I'm sure they're going for) given that there's no real link given to whatever arc starts next week. I'm glad they didn't let Soma just beat everyone and its good they stopped the whole "going last equals victory" thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Ooh, does Erina get to be a character now?

I'm pretty sure that's why Hishoko got put on a bus to nowhere. Erina isn't supposed to be the villain, she's a tsundere love interest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Begemot posted:

I mean, that's what the manga is. It's not going to turn into a romance manga all of a sudden. It's about cooking, the whole tournament was almost nonstop cooking. If you're not enjoying the cooking, I'd stop reading if I was you.

Actually, the implication is that Hayama won because he was hot for Shiomi and strove to making his cooking better for her, which is the same thing Jouchirou said at the beginning of the series. Now, that wasn't built up all that well within the context of this specific battle, but its' clearly leading to there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Eej posted:

I'm not really seeing Soma displaying any romantic interest in anyone, nevermind Erina. Unless she dressed up like a turkey or something.

That's the point - they're implying Hayama won because his dish had an additional intangible quality that Soma's did not due to his feelings for Shiomi. Its the exact same thing Jouchirou said in the first chapter and again in this chapter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

Speculation: the big reveal will be that Souma's mom is a Nakiri.

Also, since Erina recognized Souma's dad, it's not too far-fetched to think that she saw him in old photos with her mom. Maybe Souma's dad and his wife split, and she kept Erina, so Erina's been searching for her dad. Who is Souma's dad.

Hence Erina and Souma are siblings.

(Or it will be a hilarious misunderstanding.)

I sincerely doubt that plot is going anywhere other than Erina makes blush faces at Soma for the next 300 chapters. And I think his mom being a Nakiri is super implausible given how insanely rich the family is - Soma lived in a random neighborhood working at the special-of-the-day greasy spoon. I tend to doubt his dad was just hiding insane riches somewhere - not to mention his dad is an incredibly well-regarded, high level chef even at Totsuki. It seems implausible that the Nakiri family would just leave him or whoever the mother is alone.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 5, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Allarion posted:

Her cooking has probably hit a wall based off what the dad is implying too. Clearly she'll get into her own power rivalry with Megumi.
New chapter is up!

My comment saying Hishoko was put on a "bus to nowhere" looks a lot sillier given that she reappears in the chapter that was just released as the main sidekick for the upcoming arc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I think Souma will get to know literally everyone around Erina before he gets to her.

Also this arc is already shaping up to be interesting!

Seems like a Restaurant: Impossible arc. Hopefully its done more like the Kaarage arc and less like the Fall Classic arc (which was verging on bloated in length).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

That's what it looks like from the outset. The head chef is probably decent or better (likely fantastic), but his speed is nigh terrible for a Family Restaurant.

Hishouko is going to end the arc in his harem, though. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm guessing the Hishouko pun is kind of lost here, hence him calling her "Secretary Arato."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pentyne posted:

The running joke in this thread is that Erina has been constantly mentioned as the absolute greatest cook of her era, but does nothing but stomp around and get mad and Souma for his success and try to get him kicked out/defeated.

They're really playing up the Elite 10 as a mix of vindictive assholes (blond slicked back hair guy and Erina) and just regular people (nudist chef) but they've never cooked so it's not even clear what the point to them is other then being final boss

Yeah the E10 introductions are burning really slow. There's literally one direct antagonist in the E10 and he just sat around in the background of his introductory arc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

harley posted:

She did throw a fit. Several times. Hopefully she doesn't end up falling for Souma. The writer ruined Nikumi by doing that.

I don't think that's very likely now that I look at it. There will be some tsundere moments for certain, but I don't think she's going to actively join his friend group the way Nikumi did. I think she'll gain a grudging respect for him and learn something from him. Its not Soma's character-development arc, its Hishoko's.

The thing with Nikumi is that she's not only full-in on his harem, she's probably had the most involvement in the plot of every character in the series other than Soma and Tadokoro. Erina's probably a more important character, but she's certainly done less.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter

I guess they're best friends forever now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Shokugeki no Soma - Etoile

A random spin-off starring Shinomiya. Apparently, there is a Tadokoro in every country.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Turns out the only thing needed for me to find Erina more likeable was for her to be nicer to the best character in the manga. And honestly I can deal with her just being likeable for now, interesting will probably come once she actually has a match with someone but if she's actually going to be getting more screentime making her appearances likeable will be good enough. Also, it kinda seems to me that the Head Chef was supposed to come off as less reasonable last chapter since he was kind of a jerk this time.

The solution to Arato and Souma's problem was pretty unexpected. Though it kind of makes sense even if it seems like it'll lose a lot of customers since the restaurant was in no way suited for getting a quick lunch before your train. Arato is cool and a way different character than I thought she'd be. Hopefully she'll keep a bit more relevance than Nikumi, I find her a bit more interesting and it'd be a shame if she just became part of the peanut gallery. Though, the manga has actually been pretty drat good at having the periphery characters still do stuff and be fun.

It isn't even a stretch that Erina and Tadokoro would get along well because Tadokoro and Hishoko are the same character if you take away Hishoko screaming at Soma for no reason (and Hishoko's hatred for Soma is acquired off of Erina). Not to mention Hishoko nor Tadokoro are roughly the same level of skill at about the same level (they lost at the same part of the tournament arc) and both are quick to defer to Erina.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wouldn't say Arato and Megumi are that alike at all. Arato is far more assertive, confident and kind of smug particularly in the fall tournament while Megumi gets worried way easier, is a lot more gentle and is way cooler with continuous development throughout all the major arcs and rises to the challenge when facing opponents who have more experience than her. I guess they're similar in that Arato's medicinal cooking is sort of similar to Megumi's hospitality, and they're both nice people who think of others when they cook (Erina for Arato and just about everyone for Megumi). Also, I doubt Megumi would kill a live turtle for use in her cooking, seems a bit too hardcore for her.

She eviscerates fish for performance art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Pyronic posted:

the translation of this bothered me a little, they translate "de rien" as "you're welcome" but the term is actually used to mean "It was nothing" showing that the whole scene mimics the first showdown in Shokugeki.

The effort level of scanlators is usually pretty variable on side series stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter up on SJI.

Weird seeing such a short arc after that insanely bloated tournament arc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Eej posted:

Okay I'm almost convinced that the writing is "solid" but you have to wrap all of that up around the underlying premise that your food sucks unless you cook it for someone you love.

He's a shonen protaganist. His theme is "Because I have friends."

Some assholes speed-scanned 110 in semi-passable english:

http://mangadoom.co/Shokugeki-no-Soma/110/

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pentyne posted:

Looks like Shinomoya is going to try and master a french-japanese fusion style (using burdock, a widely popular vegetable in Asia, not often used in Europe), which will make for some interesting stories. I've been watching Mind of a Chef and David Chang does some amazing stuff when trying to make new styles of ramen, and one of my favorites is where he takes the traditional style of making ramen broth (4-10 hours) and manages to make the same quality (or better) broth in 10 minutes by using freeze dried mushrooms, chicken, pork, and other seasonings.

One of the amusing things he mentions is how in Japan ramen is constantly being experimented with and modified and new styles emerge, but if people develop a new style/technique outside of Japan no one really regards it as "authentic". Looks like Shinomoya is going back to his roots to create something new and unique that will capture the taste buds of Japan.

The funny thing is, Shinomiya is a Japanese person, but most people I know think he's "arrogant French guy." Also his French assistant girl looks much more obviously asian than anyone else.

Fabricated posted:

This made me read the Wikipedia artcle on Michelin stars, and apparently some Japanese restaurants got stars and didn't expect to...and the owners were actually reluctant to take them because it causes traffic to go up so much it hurts their quality.

The latter is an interesting premise and very Souma/his dad-like.

Sukiyabashi Jiro is the most well known of these - a Michelin Three Star sushi restaurant in a train station. It got really popular due to the movie Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

I'm just glad we're not going to rehash Shinomiya being a dick and threatening to expel Soma over and over. I wonder if they're gonna use this arc to finish off the story with the other side-story girl who obviously had the hots for Shinomiya.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I like where they're going with the Michelin star hunt since that's completely serious over-the-top business even in real life. A meal at a three-star restaurant is about 300 bucks a plate - the only places that get these stars are in major cities where Michelin does city guides, so there's a huge amount of competition.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Really though, the group that put out this scan seems to be particularly bad. They're probably more focused on just pushing poo poo out as fast as possible rather than actually putting out quality work. Who needs an editor if that's your goal :rolleyes:.

The actual story behind these super speed scans is kinda shady. I talked to a dude who did scans and he said the really fast translations that would come out were funded by small time racketeers.

I almost believe it since the first Naruto scan to come out would get a shitload of hits.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

In Progress results for the online character popularity poll:

1. Erina
2. Takumi
3. Soma
4. Megumi
5. Alice
6. Shinomiya
7. Hisako
8. Curry
9. Meat
10. Isshiki
11. Ryou
12. Hinako
13. Isami
14. Smoke Guy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't see any other reason why takumi is #2. He's a decent character, but 4-7 are at least as good if not better

Literally yaoi fangirls. Soma and Takumi are a highly popular fujoshi pairing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

I feel that perhaps with all these shokugekis being thrown at him, Soma can acquire enough "stuff" to use as a basis to challenge Eizan. This would fit nicely given their earlier indirect confrontation, put him above Erina and Hayama/Kurokiba as well.

My guess is that Soma will lose a ton of them and then everyone will think he sucks again (but it will turn out he's like his dad and just loses to randoms because he's trying out experiments).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter:

http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/117

Huge revelation this chapter: the cutesy fliers announcing events at Totsuki are being designed by Headmaster Nakiri

Total hype chapter, though. I guess we're gonna finally see the rest of the Elite 10? I can only assume that Erina's going to be held out of this since she's a 1st year to begin wtih?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 9, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pnumoman posted:

I'm gonna guess she'll be participating as a 1st year so that Souma can tear through them yet still preserve almost half as threats.

Doesn't seem like this is an expulsion threat so he might get crushed. But I can see this as his opportunity to take on Eizan finally.

Eizan was technically the bad guy in the last arc he just never was personally relevant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they're all going to remain threats by the end of this, I don't see Souma beating any one of the Elite Ten, except maybe Erina if they want to kickstart some character development. Erina is almost definitely going to take part on the side of the Elite though since the reason she wasn't in the fall tournament was because she was already Number 10, so I don't see why it'd work the other way.

I'm interested in seeing what the rest of the 10 can do because Erina is supposedly the weakest (being number 10 and all) and she's still presented as unstoppable. It's a bit weird they're doing this right after what was basically a training arc though, because otherwise i'd see this as a perfect opportunity for the protagonists to get their butts kicked and grant the readers a look into the skills of some of the best chefs in the series.

This manga will be 700 chapters long if they're all unstoppable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I am not going to be shocked if Soma just skips some of them and the others are left as either friends (they're almost certainly not all enemies, e.g. Isshiki) or as enemies for Tadokoro.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Soma gets on the Elite 10 and then pulls Erina into his enemy-friend harem and she starts trying to step over other people to get to the top. I certainly don't really expect Erina to be treated as an enemy for the entire series. I just don't think you'll see Soma win a fight with her until then.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, i'm not expecting Soma to face all of them either, but that does not mean I am expecting any of them to be defeated at this point, or even made out to be a lesser cook than Soma. Soma getting into the Elite 10 seems like a thing that might happen a bit later, because if anything Akira should be next in line since I think it was implied that whoever wins the Fall Tournament will be highly considered for a spot. Although if this series ever goes into the 2nd year, which I think is pretty likely, a good number of the Elite 10 will probably have to graduate and so a bunch of the dudes who are introduced here might not be opponents for anyone down the line.

I always assumed (although it hasn't been stated) that the Elite 10 runs on "if you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man." (I probably owe Ric Flair :10bux: now) Then again, yeah they graduate I guess. The problem with the Elite 10 is that they're set up in a way that he can never beat them all without the series ending.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Why do the Elite Ten all look like Bleach characters though?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

'Soup dripping from testicles' is overkill for this manga, don't you think

Completely straight faced answer: no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter is up. On my phone, so no link.

It almost seems random that the rest of the E10 is here since Soma has an active feud with the Ninth Seat already (that he doesn't know about). All he needs to do is foil one more of his plans, I think.