Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well I just powered through all of this. The title caught my eye, but man this is nothing like Yakitate Japan. I should know because I just reread that and man that series went to hell after the Monaco cup ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was kind of expecting a punchline while flipping through that, and it didn't really deliver.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm betting that, after finally winning a competition with Erina to make her admit his food tastes good, he proceeds to use her divine tongue solely to taste all the random poo poo he comes up with.

What I'm saying is that this manga will end exactly the way it began.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love how the guy we barely know anything about (beyond "surprisingly good", since he was one of the first to get accepted into the tournament) also happens to have a legion of glasses wearing fans. Is his entire gimmick going to be seemingly plain food that turns out to have an amazing twist?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Two more chapters to go until the main event.

I like how all you have to do to make a stereotypical nerd character look awesome is not make their glasses mask their eyes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't blame them, there are just way too many characters to go through.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I thought it looked good, though I'd eat anything with cheese in it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I like how for Alice, the writer just threw up his hands and went "yeah I dunno it's good". :v:

Megumi has probably gotten more focus than any other character in the series at this point. She may as well be the actual main character.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man my only experience with pot pies is crappy microwavable stuff way back when I was a kid. I guess I should give them another shot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah that was basically the best reaction. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man one of the first reactions we ever saw in Yakitate was a guy bending his body into the shape of a cresecent moon. They were pretty much always literal.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After the Monaco Cup, Yakitate descended into an endless hell of repeating the exact same story over and over again, which just made all of the characters kind of insufferable. Then, for the final arc, it crossed the line between wacky and stupid, which is admittedly quite the feat.

Whenever I feel like rereading it, I just stop after Monaco and pretend everyone went on to be incredibly successful bakers. It's much better than watching Kawachi turn into what he did. :smith:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So are Souma and Tadokoro going to be testing the quality of the produce?

Or is Isshiki just trolling and they're going to be the janitors? :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess Souma can just do anything if it's slightly related to food.

Also that was incredibly nostalgic if only because gyoza was one of the first things I learned to make. :unsmith:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Please let this be the return of the peanut butter squid.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Based on the esteemed source of "my arm", I can confirm that asians do in fact have hair on their arms. Not much though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Are we going to see caramelized seaweed?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess the reasoning is that the artist was good enough to rise out of the doujinshi scene and into actual work?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Most of the time it does, but Tadokoro went second and still got her rear end kicked against that graduate.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I kind of laughed when the translation (and presumably the original text) used the french word for juice. It's just juice!

Anyways that looked pretty good, but I dunno it seems kind of overly fancy. Admittedly they pointed out that bento can be really fancy now, but I expect Souma to go for the full traditional spirit. And I'll probably like that more.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It pretty much doesn't get more "yo this is the intended pairing!" than a girl with a divine sense of taste and a guy who loves loving around making crazy flavors.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The scare quotes are getting hilarious now that I'm actually looking for them. Oh no, not "dried tuna"!

Like I thought, Souma's dish seems way more convenient. It cooks itself for you!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it makes sense. Most of the students have their specialties, so of course they approach any problems with the stuff they're most familiar with. Souma on the other hand comes from a special-of-the-day diner, where it's all about making something new that both fits the theme and satisfies the customer.

I think the closest competitor in terms of scope would probably be Erina, if only because "gourmet food" is really broad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Souma needs a massive victory if he really wants to get the ball rolling on his plan to be number one too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

When did he strip?! :tinfoil: was pretty amazing.

Yeah so that went about as you'd expect.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So Megumi's totally screwed, right?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm just waiting for the chapter where Souma reveals his ~secret blend of spices passed down by his family across generations of cooking~.

It's salt and pepper.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He's from northern Europe. Presumably one of the Scandinavian countries.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The current best cook in the manga is someone who specifically incorporates techniques from all over the world, so I don't think they'll go that route.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Personally I thought there was something magical with the name being so utterly generic.

"This... is my masterpiece! BEHOLD! FISH SOUP!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect when I read there would be Jojo fanservice but :allears:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Looking at the stuff that gets emphasized, I'm pretty sure this manga assumes the reader knows absolutely zilch about cooking.

I cracked opened and separated the whites from the yolk by using the egg shell! Then I beat the yolk with a spoon and added seasoning! After I heated up and oiled my pan, I poured the mixture in and waited!

Voila: œufs brouillés

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It could have been worse. She could have been making lobster!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I've seen it done with a snake (also live) and with a dog on Youtube.

I remember being with my parents in a chinese restaurant one day, when one of the cooks came out with a snake and a knife.

I distinctly recall not touching the drink they served afterwards.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man it's a burger contest. I'd be amazed if the spice guy didn't win, so I was expecting secretary girl to pull out something really gimmicky. I wasn't disappointed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hamburgers don't need to have pickles. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To be delicious.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

But how? A proper sauce could emulate some of the savory qualities of cheese without getting any of the fattiness that might be acquired from it.

I think you might be taking cooking a little too seriously.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man if you think that's bad, look at american chinese food. It's literally it's own entity now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well this certainly keeps things interesting.