Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ytlaya posted:

I can't see him not getting a 90+ score, because unlike the other competitions he's been in, he's had a really long time to prepare for this one and seems pretty confident about whatever he's come up with.

On the other hand, Souma's repeatedly shown that he's at his best when he has to think on his feet. I think whatever he has planned is going to blow up in his face and he has to salvage it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Alice's :getin: face is pretty something.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Erina will stop being a bitch the instant they finally get around to having her find out that Souma's father is the person who inspired her and have the big sobfest over it.

Or she could be all "YOU'RE his son?" and proceed to be even more of a bitch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

They don't seem to treat it as a revolutionary technique as opposed to being awed that Souma used it so well in making a piece of cheap meat taste good.

Also, it's a manga, there's exaggeration all over the place.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Eej posted:

Man, that poor turtle. gently caress Chinese cooking. :smith:

Slaughtering any animal is about as gruesome.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

New chapter came out during the downtime.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Hamburgers don't need to have pickles. :colbert:

They do if they want to be any good. :v:

A pickle spear on the side is acceptable though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also one of my favorite things in it for some reason is the way the artist draws Alice's eyes as just ovals sometimes, it looks really neat to me.

I do too. It has to do with Alice's normal character design, her face is very sleek, angular, and kind of sinister looking. By making her eyes little ovals, it takes that edge away and allows an easy transition into comedy. It fits with Alice's whole schtick of looking like a typical mysterious shounen rival character at first glance but nope she's actually a fairly chill person.

That contrast is why Alice is my favorite character.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Captain McStabbin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some people thought Taco Bell was Mexican food.

I've actually had to explain to someone that, no, a crunchwrap supreme isn't mexican food.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I am consistently blown away by the art of this manga. The facial expressions, Junji Ito or otherwise,[ are top notch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Mimasaka's strategy seems to be 1) stalking his opponent to get as much information as possible, then 2) get under their skin to make them make mistakes. It's not going to work on Soma because he turned the tables on the second part. :v:

Also, anyone else notice the halo around Soma these past few chapters? Cooking Buddha to his dad's Cooking Asura I guess.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Also Barbeque definitely didn't originate from Texas, it started in the Caribbean with jerked meat and went from there.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Probably because Hayama has been built up as the final boss of this whole arc, but the author's been building up Kurokiba a lot too and didn't want him to get beat by anyone but Souma?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

That was just adorable beyond words and I was grinning the whole time reading it. :3:

Seriously, Alice is the best and I wished she replaced Erina in the story moreso than she already has.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

pentyne posted:

No matter what complaints people have about Souma it's not as bad as Alice "the greatest chef ever" who's done absolutely nothing but stand around and get angry/flustered at Souma.

Don't you mean Erina? Alice is the Molecular Gastronomy chick who's been pretty drat cool up until now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

pentyne posted:

No I meant as a general observation. This entire cooking tournament has kind of fallen flat and almost seems like a waste now.

That's why I'm annoyed at the result, not because of the reason Souma lost, but the fact that over half the manga has been for nearly nothing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I watched people subject themselves to retail as a janitor for a year and I don't understand why people would torture themselves like that.

Nobody goes into retail unless they literally have no other prospects.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I want to summon the spirit of Anthony Bourdain to slap the poo poo out of Erina right now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Eej posted:

Reminder that Arato got away with making a Momofuku style pork bun but with soft-shelled turtle in a hamburger contest.

On the other hand she did lose that contest.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Iron Wok Jan is really good, but only the first 3 volumes have been translated and no one seems to have the rest of it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It goes the route of Baki and famous cooks from history are revived to face off against Soma.

Or go into Legend of Koizumi territory where Souma has to beat the head chef of the White House, and Vatican in order to prove himself worthy of challenging Hitler's personal chef on the moon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I'm getting some Bleach vibes from all these new characters.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I'm just going to pretend that everyone he tried to work for early on was horribly racist. France isn't exactly great at race relations, after all.

Wasn't this exactly the case, as per flashbacks in the main series?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

buzmeg posted:

I don't even think you have to say "France".

Any high-stakes occupation is going to be populated by enormous quantities of arrogant assholes.

See Kitchen Confidential.

Anthony Bourdain once said that you have to be an rear end in a top hat if you want to survive a professional kitchen.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

:vince:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I just started the anime and I was pretty impressed. Soma's voice actor is pretty good and not at all the generic "pre-teen boy" voice I thought they'd stick him with.

Erina's VA sounded good right up until she went full tsundere, though that's not the voice actor's fault.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They bonded over their shared love of feeding people horrible things. Except Nao's horrible things are actually delicious.

Nao and Souma do a tag-team Shokugeki and make a perfected version of peanut-butter squid. It blows everyone away, gets Erina to finally respect Souma, world peace, HL3 comes out etc. etc.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

This manga would've been so much better if we had Alice from the start.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

And then they go and make LOAVES OF BREAD super sweet and put sweet ketchup in noodles and omelets

Ketchup on omelets is legit but "Pasta Neapolitan" is an abomination.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I want to see a crossover with Fate/Stay Night. Battle of the cooking harems.

So as I fry, Unlimited Cooking Works!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Trihugger posted:

Erina has been inconsistent, underdeveloped, and is in direct comparison with Alice who is the best girl. Of course people hate her.

Along with this, it's her specific type of arrogance that rubs me the wrong way. She's a stuck up aristocrat that thinks she better than everyone else because of her inborn gifts ("God's Tongue") and high status. While there are other arrogant characters (Soma especially), their arrogance is at least grounded in their skills.

Also, she's a sterotypical tsundere and I loving hate that type of character.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Clarste posted:

Well, supposedly she's actually good at cooking, we just never really see it directly since Souma's not leveled up enough to fight her yet.

This too, we've seen her cook exactly once and she made Eggs Benedict. For how much she has a stick up her rear end about "gourmet" food you'd think she'd come up with something a little less pedestrian.

All said and done though, I think she's annoying and poorly written, but hardly irredeemable. I do like it when she is being genuinely reasonable or a huge sheltered dork.

And I certainly don't hate her enough to make up some revenge fanfic ending where she dies. :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Rindou kind of owns.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Also, chocolate on curry? What the poo poo, Alice?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh in that last episode when Soma held up the knife was that a jojos reference?

Maybe but there's a much more obvious one coming up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

MajorMarcus posted:

At the pace they're going, it'll probably be one or two more episodes to get to the final 4 in each group. After that, I'm guessing that it'll probably another 7-10 episodes for the tournament to finish.

They're probably going to end with the top 8, maybe the very last scene ending on cliffhanger on who Soma's first opponent is. With the rest of the tournament being in a second season.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

How did he even get all the 3rd years down? The ones we've been shown don't seem like they'd agree with elitist food satan.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

rindou does not, in fact, own

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I might restate that as "Only the elite can create haute cuisine, and haute cuisine is wasted on anyone lesser".

Also "Cuisine is for chefs only", similar to "high art is for artists only".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mmm, maybe not. That would exclude all these writers and food critics who are serving as judges for shokugekis and whatnot, wouldn't it?

Azami spent a chapter poo poo-talking all those writers and food critics, so yes he meant it that way.