Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

We don't know anything about her past with him yet right? Outside of the vagueness of the picture right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Chapter 46 is out.

See also

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Question: These guys

Do they have names? Because they keep showing up and possibly live in Polar Star, but as far as I remember Glasses and Moppy Hair are the only boys in the dorm with names.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Elfgames posted:

The real problem is that the school doesn't seem to provide any support for failing students (a problem that probably isn't going to change in the new regime) as well as the special insta fail summer camp.

They've mentioned that simply enrolling in the High School Division is enough to raise your standing as a chef and ensures your employment at least as a line cook. The old system turned out 900 line cooks and 100 head chefs per class. Azami's system is going to graduate 990 line cooks and 10 head chefs.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now that I think about it, why does Azami even want 1000 line cooks each year when he thinks gourmet cuisine should only be enjoyed by a select few?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The next chapter should be a montage of 10 idiot traps set by Central and the immediate resolution of them.

No oven: light a fire

No salt: use sweat

No protein: human meat

And so on.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

because central's dogma is that anyone can cook provided they stay within the recipes and training freely handed down from them. given that his mother was denied training because people were looking down on her background it makes complete sense that he would align with their inclusionary values over the more exclusionary nature of the original totsuki

Central would shut down his tiny mom & pop in a heartbeat.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He speaks Japanese. He must be a good guy!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Okay, so he wants scrub chefs to cook pre-made recipes so they don't burn out. But where does that leave his true cuisine bros at Central. Didn't half of them join explicitly to be able to take their food to greater heights?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Are they still on Namek?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They really should have just continued with him being the main villain. Like he unexpectedly becomes 1st seat by bribery or something and just makes Soma's life a living hell.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Azami didn't seem to have a bias against types of cuisines or ingredients though. He was perfectly accepting of Tsukasa's European meat dishes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For me, it's the amount of prep time allowed.

Cool: make a egg dish right loving now.

Less cool: slowly develop a Don over the course of a week.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

She's also headmaster. Whatever happens in the teachers lounge, stays in the teachers lounge.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Soma Mom was Lego all along.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Did Takumi just reference a conversation he wasn't there to see?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cannabis Bread.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mulderman posted:

My issue with these dark chefs is that their way of cooking is way too bizarre.
This is the kind of stuff that should be used for the judging of the cooking.

Like the reactions to the food should be the things that are way over the top and out there. That's always been part of the charm of this series. By taking that element and using it in the "real world" you lose part of what made those moments so memorable.

A dish prepared with a spice infused chainsaw, is something a judge would use to describe a dish. Not something that's actually happening.

I get what you're saying, but this is the series that gave us MEAT SONATA in like battle 3. And a lot of Hayama's super nose stuff was pretty over the top.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, in my head that's less of Soma's special move and more of Tsukuda's.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

With this revelation, I'm calling the ending.

Knowing that Saiba had superpowers, Joichiro lost to him on purpose at the start of this arc. When Saiba tries to access Joe's powers, it will conflict with his others and purify him.

Or maybe Soma just wins because he's the main character.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I miss the days when Azami's super power was the most unbelievable thing in the series.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Almost as unexpected as the villain proclaiming there's no way that could taste good, trying some, and exploding!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gyges posted:

I just hope they at least have the decency to pay off the long running testing of peanut butter squid. It's actually the perfect unique dish for the God tounge. How could she possibly have tasted it before?

But they already did? Erina cooked that for her dad at the end of the last arc.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That entire sequence didn't do much for me. It seemed less like the heroes somehow overcoming the big bad, and more of the villain actively trying to lose or something.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He didn't make an Oyakodo. He made his transforming furikiake rice with eggs.

And again, Erina already did that with her peanut butter squid dish in what was clearly supposed to be the final arc until we got this poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bofast posted:

Looked more like a modified version of the deep fried frozen egg dish he made in the dormitory right before Erina went all teacher/warlord on them, unless we are counting that as a modified version of the exam dish?

Yeah it's that one not the first one.

It's weird how people keep saying that they want callbacks/payoffs for Transforming Furikake and Peanut Butter Squid when these things have already happened.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He said he made enough for both of them. It was absolutely his dish for the contest.

In other news, I saw an article saying that the spinoff ended, which was surprising because I was not aware it was still going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That's fine and all, but the idea that he would then cook another dish for this same battle, instead of an "I'll get you the next one" is patently absurd.