Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was a pretty good one-shot! Somehow, I feel like that's an even better start compare to the official manga's first chapter. It at least gives the main character a degree of mysteriousness that makes you wonder about him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Chapter 35 is out!

I think I will enjoy this arc, I love karaage. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... okay, time for me to go figure out how to make karaage. Stuff sounds like it's delicious.

Anyone have a preferred recipe on hand?

Japanese karaage specifically uses the dark thigh meat of chicken since it's flavorful and more tender. I've actually made my own kaarage, but I've only ever had breast meat on hand, which works fine if you know how to tenderize it. And the breading is usually a starch (potato or corn) although I've seen flour added in other recipes. So basically, think of popcorn chicken, but marinated beforehand with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sake instead of having a seasoned breading.

Here's a link for a recipe I think is fairly reliable. It's easy to get a hold of the ingredients and if you have leftovers, kaarage is also pretty good cold!

http://norecipes.com/blog/karaage-recipe/

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2013

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.mangapanda.com/shokugeki-no-soma/37

Chapter 37 up! All I want to do is eat fried chicken after reading this chapter. Lots of things going on and I'm excited to see the ending of the kaarage arc!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Whoa a Banh xeo reference!! The writing knows its stuff beyond the usual Japanese mixed with Western cuisine fare, they really are branching out with their culinary knowledge. Very mouthwatering chapter for sure.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There better be tons of pages of drool worthy meals. I will not accept a tournament arc any other way.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, we only just found out she knows him after that picture was revealed.

My guess is that when Erina was little she was a monster because she had super high standards for food even for a kid and then Souma's dad cooked for the family and the deliciousness knocked her socks off.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

pandaK posted:

Speaking of food manga, have any of you looked into Hell's Kitchen? It's similar in how shounen it is compared to Shokugeki no Soma.

I have here! The group that translates it tends to be very slow with the projects they take on so it's a shame Hell's Kitchen doesn't get as much attention. The food descriptions and drawings are just as succulent as Shokugeki, but I think the latter is more creative in creating new dishes. Hell's Kitchen is a little better with comedy, but that's because it has a super whacky premise to begin with.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 11, 2013

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've had this odd feeling that the author really likes Megumi or at is at least one of the favored characters. Definitely don't have an issue with this though, for me her development and progression have been a real pleasure to read and follow along with.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Chapter 51 is up!

http://www.mangareader.net/shokugeki-no-soma/51

Oh god, Boiling Witch :gonk:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Chapter 52 is out. That was quick!

http://www.mangareader.net/shokugeki-no-soma/52

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
https://www.mangachapter.net/15464/shokugeki-no-soma/56.html

Chapter 56 is up! I like the food reactions in this chapter even if it's kinda obvious at this point that they're rushing a little.

EDIT: Also, character popularity poll.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 7, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Serious Frolicking posted:

Does anyone else think that spaghetti napolitan is an unbelievably vile concept?

Not at all, not unless you absolutely despise ketchup. My sister and I once made it ourselves by following the Cooking With Dog recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia2kEaq1d0

The actual amount of ketchup is very small and it meshes very well with the other ingredients. You're not just dumping cold ketchup on top of spaghetti like some hick, you're cooking it down and stir frying it with other ingredients before mixing it in. The green bell pepper and garlic helps curb off the sweetness and the Parmesan kind of tops it all off.

I find spaghetti napolitan's history interesting since it was basically invented post-WWII in Japan since there wasn't fresh tomatoes/tomato sauce around so they adjusted it and it's stuck around ever since.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was a really heartfelt chapter. Megumi can only climb up from here.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, I kind of took her for granted as well; I thought she was someone who just had really good home style cooking and was kind of lucky getting into the school, but her back story clearly shows she's got great initiative and works loving hard to be good at the culinary arts. And I think the nice thing about her development so far is that Souma doesn't have to teach her how to get better at cooking, he already knows that she's really great and can only get better standing on her own two feet.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 8, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

BlitzBlast posted:

Man my only experience with pot pies is crappy microwavable stuff way back when I was a kid. I guess I should give them another shot.

I totally recommend it! It's great making your own roux and filling and if you want to save time, I'd say try Alton Brown's recipe (ironically fitting for the curry battle, but in no way is actually curry)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/curry-chicken-pot-pie-recipe.html

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They did it, they made a reaction that tops my favorites.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And then we'll have an arc about the perfect meal that is supposed to revive the dead.

Wait, this is getting into Toriko territory...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I remember reading Yakitate and enjoying the first several chapters or so, but it just couldn't hold itself up in later arcs and I can't place my finger on why that is.

Granted, bread so good that it can kill might do that to your story, but I'm sure there were other factors.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been reading Hell's Kitchen for a while and I'm admittedly on the fence regarding the current arc. Still, it's good fun as far as cooking manga goes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If there is one thing about this manga besides great art and food orgasms, it's the equal opportunity fanservice/disservice. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was an adorable chapter and now I want gyoza so bad.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, they're getting to the teeth of the main tournament pretty fast. I wonder how many chapters this match will be...?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Paracelsus posted:

New chapter

If I had to guess the outcome, Erina's dish will be superior in quality, but lose because the tools needed for molecular gastronomy are wrong for the context of bento-making; regular kitchens don't have centrifuges.

You meant Alice, not Erina.

I was wary about the pacing for this part, but it looks like they're moving it along pretty quickly. One chapter for Alice's dish, another for Souma, and then the verdict, I'm guessing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Serious Frolicking posted:

I kind of hope that Souma loses here and the rest of the tournament arc is all about Tadokoro's journey to the top.

Shokugeki no Megumi... There's less alliteration, but I could totally get behind that sort of development.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.manga2u.me/Shokugeki_no_Soma/64/01/

Chapter 64 up. Alice's bento is quite a treat.

And if that's the director's "strip" god only knows what amazingly delicious food makes him do...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The Evil Thing posted:

I actually like Alice and Soma's dynamic. There's no tsundere nonsense like with Erina; it's just two people who kind of like and respect each other. Cool, but relaxed and not unfriendly.

Yeah, I find that the tsundere stuff with Erina is rather rubbish and a disservice to her as a character. It's kind of funny how she's sort of coined as one of the main characters, but Tadokoro has way more screen time and character development compared to Erina.

Alice and Soma are cool, they respect each other as cooks and are eager to see what the other has up their sleeves.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.manga2u.me/Shokugeki_no_Soma/65/01/

65 is up! Time for Soma to shine.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
(You mean Megumi, not Mikumi I hope...)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I really wanna have some drat good rice now. Not even a bento, just rice after reading this chapter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can see it going either way too. Holy crap though, ramen battle, I'm looking forward to what these two come up with.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This is manga where a reaction to a cabbage dish gave us a spread of both adult men and women dressed in magical girl costumes.

But yeah, during training camp, there was a point made that Soma's exceptionally creative when putting a spin on things even if he's not necessarily revolutionizing cooking.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
From the flashback we saw very briefly from a previous chapter, it looks like Alice found him while she was abroad in Europe.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh Megumi, do your best. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You can make anything sound magical by Frenching it up.

I really like how this part of the tournament arc has been going so far. Megumi and Soma, both bringing their A-game.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/246285/shokugeki-no-soma_ch71_by_casanova

Chapter 71 is up! Feels like it's gonna be a close battle. Also this chapter proves that the author can outdo himself in making ridiculous spreads that don't need to be fanservice.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 25, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Begemot posted:

Oh my god, that was the best.

The author's definition of fanservice is becoming increasingly specific, in a great way :allears:

I can't wait for the Attack on Titan homage.

On that day, Tootsuki received a grim reminder...

In all seriousness though, this totally trumps Soma's battle with Alice for me in terms of anticipation. Megumi's just been so great.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I just wanted to make note of Yuki Morisaki, the collaborator who's credited in helping make this manga: http://shokugekinosoma.wikia.com/wiki/Yuki_Morisaki

It just seems really cool that she's a chef and a model and the fact that she's helping make up recipes for the manga is just extra points to her. I can admire anyone who can make up a karaage roll and a ridiculous dish such as soup de poisson ramen. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm sad she didn't win, but in the end she earned her classmates' respect (save the two assholes) and she put up a good fight instead of letting herself be trashed soundly. But Meguuuumiiii. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I love how everyone is just calling her Hishoko. Not gonna lie, I would try that turtle burger out of curiosity. Design wise, it kinda looks like a bigger version of the pork belly buns from a place called Momofuku in New York...