Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Furious Lobster posted:

The shape of those buns are the same everywhere in East Asia if your implication is that David Chang came up with it in the first place because trust me, he definitely didn't.

Oh no, I'm definitely not implying that! I know he didn't invent folded steamed buns, but I guess my statement sounded dumb enough to make it seem that. In terms of fine dining and chefs which this manga is all about, the turtle patty in a steamed bun made me think of him first since he's a chef whose cooking has a variety of influences due to his upbringing.

So, tangential connection on my part. :downs:

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Soylentbits posted:

That was the worst chapter. He made a gyro. You shouldn't be able to win a hamburger contest with a gyro. They just had a chapter saying that Alice failed because she didn't understand bentos.

I'm mainly disappointed that there wasn't any cheese, but I guess that would have made it "cheeseburger" instead of plain ol' "hamburger," but hey, semantics.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Xelkelvos posted:

But how? A proper sauce could emulate some of the savory qualities of cheese without getting any of the fattiness that might be acquired from it.

It's not like a hamburger is healthy to begin with. Also, some people like both sauce and cheese.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like how Takumi is popular with girls because of his cool face and sometimes acting like a cool hot-blooded chef, but he's actually a really big dork.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Who knows, cream cheese frosting works for some desserts like carrot cake and yes, even mayo works for some desserts like cakes to make it more moist. It's not completely out there, but for Takumi's dessert we'll have to see what he did with that olive oil.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Man, I bet people thought Megumi would be the one that Soma would try and "avenge," but she actually lost her match with grace and still gained more confidence out of it if nothing else. Although the way Takumi is getting thrashed is kinda dumb, but I gotta give props to the artist for drawing a villain in a cooking manga to look so insidious.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Maybe they'll get the creepy girl who uses stinky ingredients to stalk him while he's stalking others. Out-stalk the stalker???

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The smug levels are off the charts in this chapter. :smuggo:

I like how Soma doesn't even react to Mimisaka demanding his kitchen knife if he loses. After all, it's just a tool and in the long run he'd still be able to cook without it so putting his culinary career on the line is a way higher and appropriate stake for him.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Gotta love how Alice is still bro enough to just casually let Soma enter despite her defeat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.mangachapter.net/15464/shokugeki-no-soma/85.html

Looks like it's gonna be a tough cooking battle. loving Mimisaka man.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Crap, I'm gonna be stuck watching a ton of these for a while. :argh:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mo_Steel posted:

I am ready to go to the Beef Amusement Park, take me there. :dance:

The meatiest and therefore happiest place on earth!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That stew makes me really want bacon more than beef itself.

As someone who really liked Bambino, Secondo is REALLY dragging its feet in terms of plot and not just because of the slow translation releases (I don't blame the scantalators though).

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm amazed with how many puns the author is able to get out of Soma's name.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The artist for this manga loves drawing manly muscles as much as he loves drawing girls, it's what gives this manga great balance and hilarity.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Goddammit, it wasn't even intentional. :(

Anyways, I hope to see more Mimisaka not being a jerk in the future! I have to wonder though, did he become all thuggish looking while working for that Ninth Seat guy?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://www.manga2u.me/Shokugeki_no_Soma/90/01/

My god, putting duck in the OVEN. The most cooking manga line ever.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There's sous vide style!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't remember if the Autumn Election has a specific time limit (like there is one probably, but I can't recall if we were told explicitly), but you're right, a sous vide would probably be impractical for a competition if your limit was under two hours.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
By the way, I mentioned sous vide since I was watching this video after I read the recent chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQQPKLMwAg

No need for fancy equipment at least for this recipe!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

BlitzBlast posted:

Okay so Hayama is basically Lelouch now?

Anyways 0/10 chapter, Doujima didn't cosplay.

Missed opportunity to put Doujima in a skimpy duck costume, I'm also disappointed.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Kurokiba's rage faces are pretty great though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
To be fair, Food Fight is also the name of the awful CGI movie with Charlie Sheen as dog!Indiana Jones.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That image is probably the flagship image for this series in SA at this point. I think I've seen that image posted three times or so, generally with the same tag line (from the ping pong chapter).

The best part is that it gets repeated in later chapters.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mraagvpeine posted:

And what productions do they have under their belt?

A mixed bag really, if Wikipedia is anything to go by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.C.Staff

There's some good stuff, but a lot of sub par things too so I can see this anime going either way.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Everyone is a huge rear end in a top hat in this cooking school except for the Polar Star Dorm people. And anyone added to Yukihara's harem.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I had some decent sashimi recently, so this chapter made me crave some again. :(

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Man, Alice is great. I really liked the flashback with her and Ryo, it made me like her and him better now.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, not really.

Alice and Ryo work better as a duo because they actually cook competitively against each other and thus they grow through that sort of rivalry. It's like what Hayama said when he trash talked Erina's aide, Hisako; she can't improve as a cook since she's fine with putting Erina on a pedestal instead of trying to surpass her.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Alice is great cause she's one of the few major female characters not to go into a massive blushing frenzy at the sight of Soma like Meat Girl or Country Girl or Lady Girl.

I'm pretty forgiving about this, at least with Megumi because they developed her character a lot and since she's spent enough time with Soma who's been nothing but supportive of her skills and improvement, so yeah I can buy her developing feelings.

Erina exists to get heckled by people who don't give a drat about her being top dog of the first years.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's fine, it just means more Megumi.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They almost went full Free! but not quite.

I love how Final Fantasy that panel is because of the dumb huge sword.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

quote:

This is a cooking manga.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, can't say I'm really happy with the outcome, but ehhhh oh well.

More Megumi please.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, it was either this or what food that was so good it killed you a la Yakitate! Japan... Maybe the latter is still better though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I fully expect Takumi to be endgame waifu.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Last chapter gave me a bad taste in my mouth even if the reasons leading up to it were there, but at least in this chapter Soma and Ryou were so cute eating Hayama's dish after demanding it from him ::3:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Eh, we'll have to see, that's all sort of reaching even for this manga which has proven that it can throw people for a loop. Not a big one per say, but enough of one.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
To this manga's credit, it could have gone whole-harem by having a different girl chef every chapter who specializes in a type of cuisine who all get defeated by Souma and they swoon over him (I honestly thought it would go that way when Nikumi was introduced...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

harley posted:

She did throw a fit. Several times. Hopefully she doesn't end up falling for Souma. The writer ruined Nikumi by doing that.

There wasn't much to ruin to begin with and Nikumi still improved as a cook later instead of being the Meat Queen. Dumb crush on Souma aside, at least she's made friends with the girls at the Polar Star Dorm now, I think that's cool.