Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Okay, now I may actually have a small interest in Soma's character arc. He takes this pretty hard for what's supposed to be a victory. I mean, he wasn't the head chef, so it's not "his" loss, since it wasn't his dish that went up against Shinomiya's. He's got a hell of a poker face though, wasn't till he (thought he) was alone that he even let any of his frustration out, but that also goes towards the audience. Typically a shonen lead would be thinking about all the mistakes he made, all the things he should have done better, what he should have done differently. Instead it's "I lost" and that's it. Hard to see if he's taken any lessons from this or not.

Also, the arrow pointing out the hand a panel before he's slapped just tickles my funny bone. :3:

He ends up blaming Tadokoro and never talks to her again. She becomes depressed as a result and gives up cooking and drops out of school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tricky posted:

It's probably the same thing he keeps running in to - his dishes taste great, but they don't necessarily look that exciting. Note the old guy who mentions that he won't eat anything that looks clumsy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the big lesson here is going to be that his presentation leaves much to be desired.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He runs around and destroys everyone else's meals so they have no choice but to eat his.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he'll get a mid-80s score and then start boasting that it doesn't make a difference because you don't win in the first round.

I can't see him not getting a 90+ score, because unlike the other competitions he's been in, he's had a really long time to prepare for this one and seems pretty confident about whatever he's come up with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

I've been punched in the face... by FLAVOR

Later on things while escalate until people are being brutally tortured by flavor and finally - in the last chapter - Souma's food literally kills someone (and he goes to jail since it is illegal to kill people).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought Erina's gimmick was her having some amazing sense of taste? I mean, still not that interesting, but it's not just "she's randomly the best cook."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just realized that Shokugeki no Soma is basically the exact same as Grappler Baki except with cooking instead of martial arts.

edit: I just read through the whole comic again since I didn't remember much of it beyond the most recent chapters, and it's really pretty damned good. The characters are all likable and/or memorable and, more importantly, the author is very creative in the various things he has the characters cook and does a great job of explaining them.

Since I can't think of anything else to compare it with, it's far, far better than Yakitate Japan ever was, even during its earlier chapters before it went off the rails.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Shinomiya has sort of become Souma's advisor character. For some reason tsundere men don't bother me as much as tsundere women.

The Sandman posted:

Going for the full experience. When you eat in a restaurant, it’s not just the flavor that matters (although it's the most immediately critical part); the presentation, the decor, and especially the service all play a part in the impression left on the customers.

Might even be an interesting contrast to do in a future arc. Have Megumi win a contest against Erina by virtue of being the one whose hypothetical restaurant people would want to come back to, since the food is almost as good and the service is infinitely better. Also, by virtue of being able to retain staff, which is something restaurants tend to find difficult IRL.

I don't know - while customers might care, I don't think actual experts tend to care as much about the decor of the restaurant. The presentation of the food does matter, though (but it could also be argued that the food presentation has some sort of effect on the taste as well).

Xelkelvos posted:

A team competition arc sounds like what it's leading up to with teams either based on dorm, picked by the students or "randomly" chosen and requires them to basically operate a restaurant and compete. This also would likely include having someone be declared Head Chef with all of the responsibilities including the fate of the entire team.

I wouldn't be that surprised if they have to create a restaurant at some point, given that most school manga seem to have a "maid cafe" during a festival to begin with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 29, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It goes the route of Baki and famous cooks from history are revived to face off against Soma.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Didn't the judges during that tournament they had specifically mention how this year's crop was totally better than other years and got higher scores? That makes the whole "2nd year elite 10 person talking down on best 1st years" thing seem kind of silly.

Also, unless things get disrupted, the current line-up sort of implies that Isshiki is the best 2nd year and will be seat 1 next year.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 1, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

Even if the class average is better the Elite 10 are such outliers the trope can still apply.

No, I think I remember them saying at some point how "the highest score achieved last year (or some other year) was just 80-something!" during the tournament. I could be wrong, but if that is the case it sort of implies that the best of the first years are better than the best of most other years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if there will ever even be a direct conflict between any of the first years and the third year Elite 10 members. I mean, once the third years graduate they're out of the picture (at least competitively). As a side note, I'm kind of happy that the seat 1 guy is kind of dorky, even it did end up being kind of predictable that he would be seat 1.

I'm very curious as to what direction this comic will take once Soma becomes a member of the Elite 10.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Based on the other cooking manga that had a Chinese food section (Hell's Kitchen) Soma is going to put on a showy spectacle and putting out great food, not at Kuga's level but enough that people walking by will get drawn into the display and people waiting endlessly in line for Kuga would say "holy poo poo that smells and looks amazing I must try it"

Frying in a wok can look really impressive if you're really good at it, and because of the insanely high heat the aromas get pretty strong.

It seems like there's no way he could actually win with that strategy, though; he still wouldn't be able to serve people faster than Kuga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He should cook literal feces so that no one nearby can bring themselves to eat anything. He should then sell ginger tea to help with the nausea. The end is result is that his opponent sells nothing and he sells some ginger tea. Thinking outside the box!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Not the copying part, but the part that comes after: changing it in such a way that it can only look better by comparison. Soma created a stall that was only successful because it was designed to poach customers who were standing in line for another stall. He was a parasite leeching off of Kuga's reputation, and more to the point directly stealing his customers. Soma could easily have created a successful stall somewhere else, but would he have stolen the spot of first place? I doubt it.

It kind of goes both ways; while he was able to benefit from Kuga's line, he was also greatly hurt by everyone who came near his stall choosing to go to Kuga instead. If anything, I'd say that the cons definitely outweight the potential pros of being able to leech off Kuga's line. I mean, the entire festival pretty much has a guaranteed huge number of customers to begin with, so he would always be "leeching" off of the customers of other nearby stalls in a sense.

To put it another way, him having to leech in the first place is a direct result of all the customers going to Kuga. Most of those customers would still be at the festival regardless. What you're saying would make sense in a situation where the customers weren't virtually guaranteed to begin with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is Azami's opinion basically that only rich/high society people should be able to decide what food is good? I'm not sure why that would appeal to the Elite 10, outside of just wanting to change things (regardless of whether the change is positive or not).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blhue posted:

Guessing that Erina's dad's background will be something like "considered Souma's dad his rival love interest long ago, viewed him marrying down to run that special of the day restaurant as a betrayal, developed his elitist thing as a reaction to that"

Fixed this for you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Erina is correct to want to return to her mansion. Her father does not strike me as a very stable person, and he would probably do something awful in retaliation for this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Souma should lock Azami in a room without any food for three days and then cook something. Can Azami swallow his pride to save his life?!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Souma needs to just talk to all the 3rd year elite 10 people and tell them "this guy is a total piece of poo poo and abused Erina, why would you support an rear end in a top hat like that," since I'm assuming that the reason most of them voted for the guy is that he's extremely persuasive (as shown in that speech he gave). I would think "well what about Erina's privacy," but there seemed to be no problem with sharing her situation with the entire Polar Star dorm in this recent chapter, so it doesn't seem like keeping it a secret is a priority.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What Souma should do to get Erina to accept his food is prepare something and then have someone else (that Erina respects/likes) give it to her, and only reveal after the fact that Souma was the one who prepared it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Early on it was mentioned that even being in Tootsuki at all was good for your resume, so it still works out even for people who fell behind.

Yeah, but it still means that the expelled people learn a lot less (for basically no reason). The only benefit I can imagine to all the expulsions is that it might make the students take everything more seriously. But in reality extreme punishment is not actually a good way to teach and motivate people. Normally I'd ignore the expulsion plot point, since originally it was just meant as a way to show that the school was hardcore and give high stakes for Soma's conflicts, but since the manga itself is now bringing up the effectiveness/morality of the expulsions it's worth mentioning. While Azami's plan is obviously terrible, the reason it's terrible is that it mandates that no one other than the elite 10 can create their own food and eliminates all clubs/organizations. Ideally, instead of just returning things to how they were before, they'll end up with a better system than either the starting one or Azami's.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

Most of the kids that flunk out of the High School section come from the Middle School section, which means they have a complete education in all subjects relevant to the food industry. They might not have the chops to be the best of the best, but they're still highly employable.

Plus, despite the stated failure rate, so far most expulsions have been under strict but not bullshit criteria, except for Shinomiya and that kid who hosed up with the shampoo. If the kid fails the stagiare, then it's pretty clear they don't have the ability needed at the highest levels. Same with the 100 serving challenge.

In the context of this manga (where it's basically just stated as a fact that the kids expelled didn't have what it takes), yeah, but in reality it would still be a terrible idea to expel people based upon a single test/event. Failure is a big part of learning and there are countless reasons why someone might perform poorly on one of the "get expelled if you're not up to par" events, yet still have the potential to become a great chef.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Good on Kuga for skipping out on his duties. If Tsukasa didn't want to do more work, maybe he shouldn't have voted for Azami.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There is not actually chicken inside of Soma's box. In fact, there is a pistol that he will use to threaten Eizan and the judges into submission.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, it looks like Souma's meal is going to be finished and judged first? Isn't that usually a bad sign (though I guess he kind of has to win somehow)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

paragon1 posted:

In a way them eating his food at all would be a small victory because it makes this shokugeki look that much more like a legitimate competition, when the whole point of doing things the way they have been is to destroy any hope of using that institution by making it clear that it isn't really going to be a competition at all.

But he would still get expelled if he lost, so I doubt that a situation where they try his food but he still loses will occur (since I doubt Eizan will have a change of heart afterwards). So he's pretty much gotta win, though I'm curious how long it will be until Soma gets into the Elite 10 if he does (since he will have completely beaten the 8th seat if that happens).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about Eizan is that if he wasn't such a douchebag he wouldn't really be a bad guy. He's apparently successfully helped out hundreds of restaurants and brought a ton of money into the school, so if it weren't for all the randomly evil stuff he chose to do on top of it his whole "business of food" thing wouldn't be a problem

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Soma should continue to be smug even after losing, causing Eizan to, despite winning, go insane and attempt to murder him. Soma anticipates this and catches him in the process, and the authority of Central is undermined since one of their members has attempted murder against Soma.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Bad opinion time. I'm pretty meh on Megumi. I mean the character's fine and I've got no grudges against her or anything but I can't say I'm enjoying/finding every scene she shows up is is made better by her inclusion.

I actually fully agree; she isn't a very interesting character and is pretty cliche. Her personality is basically "is nice" (is there some label for earnest characters who are always trying their best?) and the fact that she tries hard and is good at cooking doesn't really change that. I don't think she's bad or anything (Soma certainly isn't any more interesting), but I have no idea why anyone would think she's one of the more interesting/entertaining characters in the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

Aldini's only a rival in his own mind, that's the joke. Soma's real rival is Akira as he's the only person that's a threat to Soma without being actively antagonistic.

Did Soma actually do better than Ryo in the competition? I forget if they ranked all three of them or if they just chose a winner. If the latter, then there's nothing really saying that Soma is better than Ryo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honestly I don't think that gyouza sounds very tasty. Parmesan cheese, really? Then again, I don't really like most dishes that involve a significant amount of cheese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is one of few times the food hasn't seemed appealing to me. Like, they explained why it apparently tastes good, but I still can't imagine parmesan cheese + that other stuff tasting good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Comic posted:

Once the secret ingredient was revealed, I just imagined like, a chicken parmesan with meat sauce, flavor wise. Clearly not exactly, but some similar flavors going on, whereas before that I agree, I wasn't really understanding the appeal.

Yeah, but I think it would be quite accurate to say that the flavor of the chicken in chicken parmesan is heavily overshadowed by the flavored of the cheese and sauce (which is basically the argument Eizan and peers were making against Souma's dish).

I'm pretty sure that the dish actually does taste good, considering that it exists in the first place; it's just the first one where I haven't thought "drat, that sounds/looks good" and am forced to just take their word for it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

Eizan's dish isn't really that special either and it's really quite funny that the judges are treating it as some super gourmet meal when it's just as commonplace as Soma's gyoza. It's just Hainan chicken and one can find it a bunch of different restaurants in most major cities making it.

I think it's implied that if you cook meat perfectly it makes it vastly better. So even if the dish is simple, because Eizan cooked it for 11 minutes and 20 seconds instead of 11 minutes and 30 seconds he has brought out its true flavor (or something).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should have had one of the dorm members get hit in the head with one of hired thugs' pipes and suffer brain damage, causing Isshiki to curse his foolish inaction and fall into a deep depression.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

QQmore posted:

Tribal tattoo :barf:

I will never understand why so many anime/manga characters have those tattoos on their face and they're supposed to look cool/badass. Like, if you imagine how one of those tattoos would look in real life it's just hilarious. That enemy from Hitman Reborn with the angel wings had a similar dumb face tattoo.

My favorite part about that sort of tattoo is that I can't imagine any reason for the guy getting it other than "man I bet this will make me look so badass." Like I imagine the character going into the tattoo parlor all like "how about a badass tribal tattoo under my right eye heh" and that tattoo artist internally rolling their eyes.

edit: I love how in this new chapter Takumi said exactly the same thing I would have wanted to say to "dumb tribal tattoo" guy. Usually protagonists are't willing to just relentlessly mock dumb enemies.

I really hope Aldini wins in his next match, since he lost in his last one and I really like his character. Normally I'm not a big fan of characters like him (and normally characters like him become "Yamchas" after the first arc they show up in), but I really like something about his general personality.

I also hope that Ryou fucks this guy up in this shokugeki. Either this match will be used to show that these Central "elites" are a serious threat, or it will be used to show the rest of the Central people that the freshmen are a threat they need to take seriously. If I had to guess, I'd say that Ryou will probably win this.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Kurokiba is gonna get owned unfortunately. The judges will say (paraphrased) "Your dish is a good dish but the opponent's dish is even more good" and then Kurokiba will turn around, look the audience in the eye, and violently slit his own throat with one of his knives. Alice will then inherit his knives, techniques, and headscarf and defeat dumb-face-tattoo guy in a future rematch. After defeating him, a translucent image of a smiling Kurokiba will appear in the sky and Alice and the other characters will cry with happiness now that Kurokiba has been avenged.

Seriously tho I really hope Kurokiba wins because this is kind of being set up as his loss; usually the character whose meal is talked up a bunch first is the one who ends up losing, though this comic has defied that pattern a few times.

Part of me is wondering where all these non-Elite 10 central guys came from. While it makes sense for there to be other really good (or at least better than the "elite" freshmen) cooks in the 2nd and 3rd years, I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated at some point that this freshman class was shaping up to be significantly better than previous classes. Like, it seems funny for these characters to be like "heh you're a loser who sucks at cooking" when people like Kurokiba are probably better than all non-Elite 10 2nd and 3rd years were when they were freshman. While this doesn't mean that the best non-Elite 10 2nd/3rd years won't still be better than the protagonist and his posse, it is kind of strange that apparently there aren't any other non-evil good cooks in the 2nd and 3rd years (other than Isshiki, Szechuan elite 10 guy, and the other non-Central elite 10 guy). I guess my point is that it is kind of bizarre that literally every good 2nd and 3rd year other than the 3 people I mentioned is an active follower of Central/Azami.

Even in the worst case scenario that almost all good 2nd and 3rd year cooks are also assholes, it seems like the power balance would be upset as the current freshman class grows up (since it seems like every single talented freshman cook at the very least isn't pro-Central).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That is one of the tastiest meals I've seen in the series so far, but I'm biased since I really love salmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what the difference is that old dude is talking about. Usually it would be something like "Persona A's dish was great, but didn't highlight the taste of the salmon!", but they made it pretty clear that both dishes make great use of the salmon.