Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

WarLocke posted:

Was kind of disappointed to see that the Collections tab is almost exclusively for cash shop items.

I'm a little disappointed in it so far too. I'm glad it exists, but it feels a lot more limited and expensive (red efficiency scanner unlock is 240ish CC, for example) than the previews implied, at least to me, and as near as I can tell it's lacking some features I would like it to have, like a search box and unlocking by item piece instead of whole sets.

I'm sure for people who use the cash shop items a lot it will be great, and I imagine I'll get some use out of it too. It just feels like it's about 50% of what it could be, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

The having to have a full set thing especially is a bit weird. Hopefully it'll get better as they get more input and the feature evolves. The one thing I'm looking forward to is unlocking the level 10 +41 crystals for everybody. That'll be really nice for alts.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

kmzh posted:

The having to have a full set thing especially is a bit weird. Hopefully it'll get better as they get more input and the feature evolves. The one thing I'm looking forward to is unlocking the level 10 +41 crystals for everybody. That'll be really nice for alts.

Has anyone confirmed if this is doable, because drat will that be better than spending 400,000$ a pop on +41 power crystals.

\/\/ thank you sir.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2013

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Has anyone confirmed if this is doable, because drat will that be better than spending 400,000$ a pop on +41 power crystals.

I'm in the process of testing it right now, will report back shortly.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It was 240 CC to unlock just one of the +41 level 10 crystals for me. Granted it's still completely better than before, since you can now instantly double-up for your off-hand and upgrade all your comp crystals, but man that's pricy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McTimmy posted:

It was 240 CC to unlock just one of the +41 level 10 crystals for me. Granted it's still completely better than before, since you can now instantly double-up for your off-hand and upgrade all your comp crystals, but man that's pricy.

That's what one pack costs, so it's not too bad.

Can you unslot a crystal and put it in, or does it have to be "fresh"?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Really? Read on another forum that it was only 60 CC. Unless there's different prices for different colors?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

[shameless self promotion]

Might want to include the two currently running goon made LP's in the OP

Empire thread

Republic thread

Made by a talented bunch of LP writers (and me) they are well worth a read.
[/shameless self promotion.]

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

All right, here's what I found. Had a +41 endurance derelict purple color crystal that a guildmate gave me the other day. Unbound. Equipped it on my level 19 commando, it was added to collections. Swapped over to my also level 19 sage. Went to my collections, found the crystal. Paid 60 coins to unlock it for my account. Promptly claimed a copy, 41 endurance and all, and slotted it into my lightsaber. Claimed another, slotted it into the blue sniper rifle HK has, which now also has a crystal slot which is a nice change.

So yes, it seems to work, at least for this crystal. I would assume it would work for the other ones as well.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hahaha, they made cat people cartel purchase only? Good move. They'll rake in the money.

Dye packs being craftable by Artificers is nice though. Might be able to finally have an item that sells...

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

kmzh posted:

Really? Read on another forum that it was only 60 CC. Unless there's different prices for different colors?

Maybe. Cyan-Blue Crit crystal was the one I tried.

EDIT:
Derelict Purple Crit was 240.
Pink-Purple Endurance was 60.
White-Black Endurance was 600.
Silver-Blue Power was 240.
Pink-Purple Power was 240.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 14, 2013

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Maybe. Cyan-Blue Crit crystal was the one I tried.

EDIT:
Derelict Purple Crit was 240.
Pink-Purple Endurance was 60.
White-Black Endurance was 600.
Silver-Blue Power was 240.
Pink-Purple Power was 240.

And to confirm this doesn't work with stuff you bought of the GTN I gather? Or maybe I have just been unable to figure it all out yet.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Team THEOLOGY posted:

And to confirm this doesn't work with stuff you bought of the GTN I gather? Or maybe I have just been unable to figure it all out yet.

Can't say either way if it works with GTN, the level 10 crystals are through the roof and more than I want to pay for right now. But it did work with one a guildmate had gotten from I don't know where and sent me in the mail.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
All my crystals were bought from the GTN before patch and already inserted in my weapons. I had to extract them from my weapons before they were added to my Collection though. The Unbound crystals I had in my Cargo Bay weren't added, even when I moved them to my inventory.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

McTimmy posted:

All my crystals were bought from the GTN before patch and already inserted in my weapons. I had to extract them from my weapons before they were added to my Collection though. The Unbound crystals I had in my Cargo Bay weren't added, even when I moved them to my inventory.

Weird... actually, now that I think about it it makes sense that you'd have to bind it first before it would show up in your Collection, otherwise you'd get something in your collection and then just sell it (the original item) again.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Anyone know if the Cathar unlock actually produces a tradable item like other market unlocks? Considering a gift for someone but don't want it for myself.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Mind over Matter posted:

Anyone know if the Cathar unlock actually produces a tradable item like other market unlocks? Considering a gift for someone but don't want it for myself.

It did produce an item when I bought it, yes.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is Groupfinder in this game broken or something?

Or are healers and tanks so rare that sitting for 40+ minutes wont get a pop as a non-50 DPS?

Even as a healer doing 50/55 HM queues it takes 30 or so minutes. Are tanks hilariously rare?

I want to do FPs to get gear and do the dailies, but holy poo poo, every time I get a group either the tank or healer leaves and we'll wait for 40 mins at the last boss for a replacement and never get one.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

KittyEmpress posted:

Or are healers and tanks so rare that sitting for 40+ minutes wont get a pop as a non-50 DPS?

It's a combination of this and that fact that LFG isn't cross-server. But yes, getting both a tank and a healer at the same time is hard to do it seems. What I find interesting is that in my experience it's both of those roles being rare, as opposed to tanks being rare and healers being medium, or vice-versa.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Having only 2 DPS per groups tends to make the wait time for them incredibly long, yes.

It's a shame they didn't do the reusable dye system the way GW2 does. People go insane trying to get rare dyes when they can use them as much as they like (at least on that character).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

It's a combination of this and that fact that LFG isn't cross-server. But yes, getting both a tank and a healer at the same time is hard to do it seems. What I find interesting is that in my experience it's both of those roles being rare, as opposed to tanks being rare and healers being medium, or vice-versa.

Another thing it seems like if anyone is going to be an idiot in a group it's the tank. Oh no, the healer has a slightly lower level earpiece, time to rage quit.

For example, I pugged a SM TFB where the off tank rage quit after people needed on a crystal drop. He wasn't even all that great of a tank (and just ask people in TNG, I know everything about being a terrible off tank)

Pex-Corrh
Oct 15, 2011

That thing, you have, I need it.

KittyEmpress posted:

Even as a healer doing 50/55 HM queues it takes 30 or so minutes. Are tanks hilariously rare?

Tanking in SWTOR is remarkably difficult compared to similar games*. Pulls are spread out, threat isn't guaranteed, AE abilities are on long cooldowns and not well contained or telegraphed, and a relatively large number of buttons you need to keep track of. I just got back in the game a week ago and still have two level 50 tanks which I was able to gear up completely with my gigantic stack of planetary comms and I'm still afraid to queue. I love tanking, but the thought of sitting in a Directive 7 experience and feeling like I'm failing for two hours doesn't help me click the button.

OTOH, if you're in That's No Goon speak up in guild chat before (or during) your queue. I'm much more willing to relearn tanking for guildies than pubbies.

*WOW, RIFT, and Neverwinter are the other three I have enough tanking experience to feel comfortable comparing

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Pex-Corrh posted:

Tanking in SWTOR is remarkably difficult compared to similar games*. Pulls are spread out, threat isn't guaranteed, AE abilities are on long cooldowns and not well contained or telegraphed, and a relatively large number of buttons you need to keep track of. I just got back in the game a week ago and still have two level 50 tanks which I was able to gear up completely with my gigantic stack of planetary comms and I'm still afraid to queue. I love tanking, but the thought of sitting in a Directive 7 experience and feeling like I'm failing for two hours doesn't help me click the button.

OTOH, if you're in That's No Goon speak up in guild chat before (or during) your queue. I'm much more willing to relearn tanking for guildies than pubbies.

*WOW, RIFT, and Neverwinter are the other three I have enough tanking experience to feel comfortable comparing

Grouping in general is more team oriented in SWTOR and is about proper CC and kill orders more than tanking. Good DPS helps make pulls be really clean. Tanking is necessary mostly for the white star and boss mobs.

I've played Rift's dungeons and the lack of mixed ranged/melee mob composition made me feel like something was missing. Tanking was about being the group leader, which doesn't have to be the case in SWTOR.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I recently made 55 and plan to tank on my guardian, but it makes sense to get the dps gear first and basic comm gearing is not a quick process. I guess that I can hope for tanking gear drops when I can do the 55 hardmodes, or perhaps would a set of pvp tanking gear be enough to start doing it?

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
What I did was specced into DPS for makeb dailies etc but grabbed several basic comm tank pieces. Then I switched back to tank spec and hoped to god that a geared healer would help my 25k hp rear end into completing the fp. Some of the bonus bosses are tough, but the other bosses are manageable. After a day or two of that, you'll be able to afford a couple 69 pieces and more if you got lucky with drops.

It helps that tank queuing is near instant.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
EDIT: Invite acquired. Thanks!

Givin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 15, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Givin posted:

When I do a who on That's No Goon I get a massive return on people. Is that the correct search paramater to find people for invite? Character name is Sethe if anybody sees this and wants to throw me a mercy invite.

Just search Goon. I think That's No Goon will return results for all 3 words individually.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

It was always announced as a cartel shop thing.

Yeah, I know, I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be only a cartel shop thing. I figured there would also be room for in-game stuff to be 'collected'.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I know, I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be only a cartel shop thing. I figured there would also be room for in-game stuff to be 'collected'.

Yeah, that's how I had interpreted the previews as well.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
They're planning to expand it, but for now it's just cartel market items.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pex-Corrh posted:

Tanking in SWTOR is remarkably different compared to similar games*.

This was brought up recently in the previous thread, but don't concern yourself with holding every mob in the group. Just get the Champions > Elites > Strongs. Everything else dies in 1 GCD, and the strongs die in 2. The similar games you mentioned all have in common that if a non-tank is being hit, the non-tank is dead. SWTOR doesn't have that. You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you only tank what you need to.

As a Guardian, if my Saber Reflect and AOE Taunt is on CD, I have jack poo poo for AOE threat. So rather than run after every mob, I grab what I need to keep the group alive, and let the group kill the rest. I'll sometimes preface (especially the 3rd pull in Hammer Station HM) "Kill weakest to strongest."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Warmachine posted:

This was brought up recently in the previous thread, but don't concern yourself with holding every mob in the group. Just get the Champions > Elites > Strongs. Everything else dies in 1 GCD, and the strongs die in 2. The similar games you mentioned all have in common that if a non-tank is being hit, the non-tank is dead. SWTOR doesn't have that. You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you only tank what you need to.

As a Guardian, if my Saber Reflect and AOE Taunt is on CD, I have jack poo poo for AOE threat. So rather than run after every mob, I grab what I need to keep the group alive, and let the group kill the rest. I'll sometimes preface (especially the 3rd pull in Hammer Station HM) "Kill weakest to strongest."

Yeah, playing a Sniper I've had a few tanks try to run after Elites/Strongs who try to attack me when they've got another elite and 1-2 more strongs on them already. I had to be like, 'you know, I can handle it if it's just one at a time.', and he was super thankful for the rest of the dungeon. In my head, he joined another Group Finder group and tried to do the same and got vote kicked for not handling every mob. This is what I expect of the TOR community.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
So here's a question. If you're a subscriber can you place your XP gain back down to non-sub levels? If you're playing with a non-subbing buddy you'll just level away from him, ya?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

So here's a question. If you're a subscriber can you place your XP gain back down to non-sub levels? If you're playing with a non-subbing buddy you'll just level away from him, ya?

Have them use experience boosters. Seriously, the 3 hour 25% boost was down to 9.8k credits the other day and that was before this last patch that put experience booster packs on sale. If they use them and you don't, then you will be on the same level.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks -- It looks like you can't turn off rested exp/exp altogether, nor trade the quest rewarded exp boosts. I guess I could try and have the friend just do 3 ship missions a week and I'll do zero. And try to toss him EXP boosts.

Also, on a languished server where my characters ended up, I was given a free rename token for my legacy. But renaming it doesn't seem to actually change it. Any one run into anything similar? I searched the SWTOR forums and it looks like it was a frequent problem last fall, nothing recent though.

ContraceptiveCereal fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 15, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Do companion conversations only trigger in specific places? I'm on Coruscant, just got the Noetikon of Secrets, and as I was turning in other quests I saw Qyzen wanted a convo so I went to the cantina under Senate Tower, but he just keeps saying "Herald, must speak with you."

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

Do companion conversations only trigger in specific places? I'm on Coruscant, just got the Noetikon of Secrets, and as I was turning in other quests I saw Qyzen wanted a convo so I went to the cantina under Senate Tower, but he just keeps saying "Herald, must speak with you."

Sometimes its only on the ship. Look at the icon indicating he has a conversation on his picture. It'll have a little ship picture as part of the notification graphic.

They are all triggered off a combination of affection score and where you are in your class story, or maybe just what act you have completed.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
The dye system they implemented is so loving bad.

The colors are poo poo, you buy them in gambling packs, and they destroy if you remove them from armor.

Who the gently caress devised this lovely system?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Samara posted:

The dye system they implemented is so loving bad.

The colors are poo poo, you buy them in gambling packs, and they destroy if you remove them from armor.

Who the gently caress devised this lovely system?

This update's cartel coin stuff is flat out dumb. Why the heck does the barbershop cost cartel coins for subscribers? This isn't just a 1%er whale feature and it would seriously bring value to having a subscription.

I'm not sure why they didn't ask for some community feedback before pushing out these systems.

Too bad the dev's aren't going to be able to filter the signal from the noise here when it comes to the complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Doc Dee posted:

The Senate cantina doesn't work for conversations. Every other cantina I've encountered does, as well as the ship.

• Locked thread