Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
All of the companions at various times will have dialogues, that they will only start if you're on your ship. Its crazy yes, but there you go. That may be your issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samara posted:

The dye system they implemented is so loving bad.

The colors are poo poo, you buy them in gambling packs, and they destroy if you remove them from armor.

Who the gently caress devised this lovely system?

Dye is consumable in every game except Guild Wars 2.

Doc Dee posted:

Do companion conversations only trigger in specific places? I'm on Coruscant, just got the Noetikon of Secrets, and as I was turning in other quests I saw Qyzen wanted a convo so I went to the cantina under Senate Tower, but he just keeps saying "Herald, must speak with you."

In addition to what Stan S. Stanman said, some cantinas are broken and don't count right.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tezzeract posted:

This update's cartel coin stuff is flat out dumb. Why the heck does the barbershop cost cartel coins for subscribers? This isn't just a 1%er whale feature and it would seriously bring value to having a subscription.

I'm not sure why they didn't ask for some community feedback before pushing out these systems.

Too bad the dev's aren't going to be able to filter the signal from the noise here when it comes to the complaints.

Gotta milk the CCs you get for achievements back out of the system somehow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

The Senate cantina doesn't work for conversations. Every other cantina I've encountered does, as well as the ship.

There is another cantina on coruscant you can use as well. I want to say its the gambler's den? In the market zone(not the market by the senate)

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

tallian posted:

There is another cantina on coruscant you can use as well. I want to say its the gambler's den? In the market zone(not the market by the senate)

Yes use this one if you need to - first zone you get sent to outside of the centre. :)

E: Looked it up - Old Galactic Market.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I understand race change and more drastic alterations requiring CC, but having to fork some over just to get a haircut is hilarious.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Disappointed that my phantom armor won't go into the collections tab because I mixed and matched pieces from the classic and newer versions, so I don't have a full set of either.

Pretty stoked my Thana Vesh armor and a bunch of mounts are in there though!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I definitely like that the color crystals can now be unlocked via collections. I had a +41 Power and a +41 Endurance one that I was holding onto in case I made a new alt, instead I sold them for obscene amounts of money as I have endurance/power/crit crystals on all my guys already. Of course they're the ridiculous pink/purple ones...but oh well.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
Just started playing, and I was wondering which classes have tolerable or maybe even good storylines? I've heard that Imperial Agent is one of the best, and that Jedi Consular is one of the worst. Which makes me sad since I rather wanted to play a consular, but oh well.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So if you have duplicates, it's worth selling them on the GTN right now?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

folgore posted:

I understand race change and more drastic alterations requiring CC, but having to fork some over just to get a haircut is hilarious.
People will pay for anything.

Also, if anyone could throw my intrepid Imperial agent Loveboat an invite for TNG, that'd be swell.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rianlee posted:

Just started playing, and I was wondering which classes have tolerable or maybe even good storylines? I've heard that Imperial Agent is one of the best, and that Jedi Consular is one of the worst. Which makes me sad since I rather wanted to play a consular, but oh well.

All of the stories are tolerable, and most are good. Choose your class based on the style of gameplay you think you'll enjoy, because you'll spend more time playing the game than watching the story.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Rianlee posted:

I loved the Jedi Consular's story. Chapter 1 is the worst part, but if you like being Yoda or Obi Wan, you'll like the consular. Spout Jedi platitudes, learn the mysteries of the Force through it's past, create diplomatic alliances, etc.

Knight is more akin to Luke or Anakin ie you kick rear end and take names.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

I loved the Jedi Consular's story. Chapter 1 is the worst part, but if you like being Yoda or Obi Wan, you'll like the consular. Spout Jedi platitudes, learn the mysteries of the Force through it's past, create diplomatic alliances, etc.

Knight is more akin to Luke or Anakin ie you kick rear end and take names.

I remember Luke whining a lot about wanting to kick rear end while someone else was taking names!

I messed around with a new character using HK from level 1. I plowed through the first 15 levels in a matter of hours. So much better! I suppose I need to buy him some gear.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rianlee posted:

The Sith Warrior story is pretty awesome so far. I'm still in chapter 1 but I'm trying to hunt down the padawan of my master's nemesis, who has some special ability to basically tell if you're light side or dark simply by looking at you which threatens his spy network and there have been plenty of Sith-y type doublecrosses so far. The great thing about it though is that if you go light-side you are basically playing the honorable type (still Sith, still power hungry, just not a cackling baby killer) surrounded by batshit nutso people who can choke with a thought. Navigating dialogue is like a minefield with all the half-truths and subject changes that are needed. :ninja:

Also, if you subscribe make sure to do your faily FPs, WZs, and space missions - they are worth a metric fuckton of experience each time through.

e: Is there a resource anywhere to help you find the last little tiny out of the way spot to finish uncovering a map? Markaran Plains on Balmorra is frustrating me right now.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 15, 2013

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I'm coming back to SWTOR after stopping a few months after release. I got an imperial agent to lvl 35 but I don't think I'm going to go back to it right away because I forgot most of the story, plus I want to kill stuff with a lightsaber. So I created a new jedi knight and noticed in the OP it says "Best played without an advanced class." Is it really better to play a Jedi Knight without taking an advanced class? If so, why?

edit: vv I am slow or have a bad sense of humor. Probably both. Also, thanks for explaining.

Streebs fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 15, 2013

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Streebs posted:

I'm coming back to SWTOR after stopping a few months after release. I got an imperial agent to lvl 35 but I don't think I'm going to go back to it right away because I forgot most of the story, plus I want to kill stuff with a lightsaber. So I created a new jedi knight and noticed in the OP it says "Best played without an advanced class." Is it really better to play a Jedi Knight without taking an advanced class? If so, why?

No, it is never a good idea to do that. I don't know why that joke is in the OP, but it's just that, a joke.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rianlee posted:

If being a consular appealed to you, you might consider being a Sith Inquisitor instead since that's the same gameplay skillset. The inquisitor story gets a bit of a bad rap, but I think it's somewhat undeserved, I rather liked being an ex-slave space archaeologist, and because most of the people you meet are either Sith or imperials, who would basically see you as chattel were you not wielding a lightsaber, I felt entirely justified in electrocuting the poo poo out of an awful lot of bad people despite generally playing as light side.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

The Sith Warrior story is pretty awesome so far... The great thing about it though is that if you go light-side you are basically playing the honorable type (still Sith, still power hungry, just not a cackling baby killer) surrounded by batshit nutso people who can choke with a thought. Navigating dialogue is like a minefield with all the half-truths and subject changes that are needed. :ninja:

Reveilled posted:

If being a consular appealed to you, you might consider being a Sith Inquisitor instead since that's the same gameplay skillset. The inquisitor story gets a bit of a bad rap, but I think it's somewhat undeserved, I rather liked being an ex-slave space archaeologist, and because most of the people you meet are either Sith or imperials, who would basically see you as chattel were you not wielding a lightsaber, I felt entirely justified in electrocuting the poo poo out of an awful lot of bad people despite generally playing as light side.

Wow, thank you all for the class responses! The Imperial side is starting to sound better and better...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

No, it is never a good idea to do that. I don't know why that joke is in the OP, but it's just that, a joke.

It's there because the OP is a lunatic, and I mean that in the best possible way.

VonLudwig posted:

So, to take a break from the discussion of free to play and everyone's problems with it, I'd like to share my latest accomplishment with the game. I just recently hit 50 on my fourth character and first republic character:

A Sith Pureblood jedi knight. It was a bit of trouble getting all the way to 50, but with the help of my pal T7, I'm ready to save the galaxy.

But now that I'm done leveling, I need more bars to make go up. So I decided, after a year of playing the game, to give PvP a try.

Alderaan civil war, eh? What do you do in this?

I guess you just sit around at a post and reverse engineer stuff while chatting?

It didn't go well.

I think he's been working on hitting 55, much to the dismay of anyone who gets thrown in a PVP team with him.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Rianlee posted:

Wow, thank you all for the class responses! The Imperial side is starting to sound better and better...

It's better IMO and I have finished stories for all sides and classes. Also +1 for electrocuting everyone being a blast light or dark.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Reveilled posted:

So I'm thinking of finally giving this game a proper play through as an inquisitor so I can keep up with my tradition of tending to play these games as a zap-happy dark-sider. It sounds like the Sith Inquisitor is the way to go for that, but why would you say it gets a "bad rap"?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

i am tim! posted:

So I'm thinking of finally giving this game a proper play through as an inquisitor so I can keep up with my tradition of tending to play these games as a zap-happy dark-sider. It sounds like the Sith Inquisitor is the way to go for that, but why would you say it gets a "bad rap"?

I might have to defer that to someone who didn't really like it, but my understanding is that the overall arcs of the story are not particularly epic. Whereas the Sith Warrior and the Imperial Agent are immediately dealing with intriguey type things that might determine the fate of the empire or the galaxy, the Sith Inquisitor is exploring planets to find lost artifacts, ostensibly for the simple purpose of gaining incredible unstoppable eldritch power. None of your actions in the Sith Inquisitor storyline have any tangible impact on the war with the Republic, which I think for some makes it a little boring, but which I personally quite liked because frankly nothing any class does (other than the Jedi Knight who does a super-epic galaxy changing thing) really changes things outside your bubble because ultimately what happens in the official plot has to be the same for everyone.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So instead of a story about my part in a sprawling space war, it's a story about amassing personal power by eldritch means and electrocuting people for kicks? Sounds like a blast.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

i am tim! posted:

So instead of a story about my part in a sprawling space war, it's a story about amassing personal power by eldritch means and electrocuting people for kicks? Sounds like a blast.

As a bonus, the Inquisitor story 1-10 was absolutely awesome due to the dynamic between you and your trainer; he hates your guts because you're an abomination to sith tradition (a slave being trained as a sith), and you get to be an utterly dickish sarcastic rear end in a top hat to the guy with complete impunity and watch him seethe with rage over the fact he's not allowed to hit you.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Reveilled posted:

As a bonus, the Inquisitor story 1-10 was absolutely awesome due to the dynamic between you and your trainer; he hates your guts because you're an abomination to sith tradition (a slave being trained as a sith), and you get to be an utterly dickish sarcastic rear end in a top hat to the guy with complete impunity and watch him seethe with rage over the fact he's not allowed to hit you.

I did that much. I rather enjoyed the bits with the instructor, but I hate to say that the rather bland questing in between is what killed my attempt to play the game when it first went Free to Play.

Then again I thought Korriban was the dullest part of Knights of the Old Republic, too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rianlee posted:

General stuff?

Jedi Knight - You are the chosen hero. Oh maybe not. Yeah, you actually are.

Consular - Did you play KotOR2? Remember Kreia? Remember all the poo poo Kreia did? Consular is basically "be Kreia the game" down to spouting off long indepth thoughts of why/how the Force is.

Smugg - I have no idea.

Trooper - You are motherfucking Havoc Squad. Act 1 is basically MGS3, mixed with recruit hella dudes. Act 2/3 is use hella dudes on Empire stuff.

Sith Warrior - You are the apprentice to a super smart spymastery Sith. You can either be a dumb brute who just likes stabbing dudes for him because murder = power ( DS ), or you can decide he should gently caress off, and you want to outsmart him by building your own networks. ( LS ) LS is usually considered "better" after Tatooine.

Inquisitor - Everyone hates you because you break the rules. gently caress bitches get power.

Agent - You are James Bond. Sleep with everyone as you uncover all the stuff going down, and handle it in your own way. A million plus choices and consequences that lead to a dozen or so different endings. Usually brought up as the best storyline for good reasons. Pretty much everything can be seduced of course.

Bounty Hunter - Boring personified. Act 1-3 is entirely just "Hey, Hunter. We have a new target for you." "Go to the next planet in the list for your race, you'll get more details there." "Ok, so the guy is influential in <insert main enemy group of the planet>". End of Act 3 has a few twists, but I couldn't bring myself to do 50-70 hours worth of hits to see it, so I don't know of it's quality.

General rule of thumb from other sites, but can't confirm very well, as I've only done Agent/SW/Trooper/now Consular is that JK/Trooper/Inquis/BH are more for the people who liked KotOR more then KotOR 2, everything is fairly simple and spelled out, the companions are mainly sterotypes and don't develop much, and they have a much larger focus on action. Consular/Smugg/SW/Agent are more for people who liked KotOR2 over KotOR. Lot's of companions who are built to potentially even be hated, they grow and develop over the course of the game, lot's of plot development, and every Act ends with huge sequences with your previous choices coming into play, rather then having to make on the spot Good/Evil calls. Of course this also means many more "boring" quests where you listen to people talk about the Force.

It's generally agreed that the average Empire quest is more interesting then the average Republic quest, but be warned, the average Empire questgiver is horribly inept, and around 1/3rd of the way into the game, it becomes obvious the Empire is losing the war because their people have some really horrible loving ideas on how to handle the Republic. Republic quests are less interesting, but they are also much easier to ignore, after awhile "Here's my good plan, soldier go do these things" blends together much better then "If I build a wall of bones, would that keep the Rakghouls away? Hey you, can you kill a bunch of our guys to build this wall of bones? I have an idea!". Considering the length of the game is 70+ hours, I preferred the blending, but that's just me.

Also be warned as an aside. I just did Empire 1-30, and there are zero healers leveling right now on JC. Do not make an Empire tank and try to level, or you will hate yourself.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Also, Inquisitor has told Khem Val to eat people like 3 times already and I'm only on Dromund Kaas. Best companion dialogue ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bounty Hunter Alderaan lets you become royalty, though.

So that makes it cool.

quote:

Smugg - I have no idea.

Smuggler is about getting your ship back, finding a lost space treasure, being a kick-rear end privateer, and being rivals with a big shot Imperial douche.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

Smuggler is about getting your ship back, finding a lost space treasure, being a kick-rear end privateer, and being rivals with a big shot Imperial douche.

I want to say I remember people at some point talking about the Smuggler finding an ancient mothballed space fleet and basically becoming a privateer king/queen, is there any truth to that or just wild bullshit?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I want to say I remember people at some point talking about the Smuggler finding an ancient mothballed space fleet and basically becoming a privateer king/queen, is there any truth to that or just wild bullshit?

Some crossed wires there. You find an old mothballed spaceship at one point, and can also put a pirate fleet under your control.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
Goofy Mood is the best thing in this game, be afraid of the evil clown.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

So does anyone have advice with how long it usually takes to get your monthly cartel coins? Halfway through my first month back I paid for a 2-month nonrecurring, and it went into effect about 10pm last night. I got my Security Key grant in the middle of the day yesterday, but still haven't gotten my subscriber's 500. They say to wait 72 hours before ticketing it, I'm just curious if this is normal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first time takes a little while, since they give you some buyer's remorse time.

After the first it's on your billing date though.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Guess I will just keep waiting then, thank you!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
BH is also about waiting a long time until you can fingerbang Mako.

Or maybe that was just me.

e: But seriously, the BH story is a bit lacking. The gameplay made up for it though, so I'm sticking with it. Missiles own.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 16, 2013

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

i am tim! posted:

Without going into too much detail, your own personal quest for power unsettles the existing Sith leadership and that ties into the war at several points. You do change the balance of things, mainly by putting yourself in the balance. But it is one of the less epic stories because it's all self-focused. Everything else is incidental to you you you you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ossipago posted:

Without going into too much detail, your own personal quest for power unsettles the existing Sith leadership and that ties into the war at several points. You do change the balance of things, mainly by putting yourself in the balance. But it is one of the less epic stories because it's all self-focused. Everything else is incidental to you you you you.

Surprisingly I can't find anything on YouTube but there's a lot of great conversation options to be a completely self centered child.

One line is literally "It was all me! Me me me me me!"

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

hobbesmaster posted:

Surprisingly I can't find anything on YouTube but there's a lot of great conversation options to be a completely self centered child.

One line is literally "It was all me! Me me me me me!"

There used to be quite a lot of stuff on YouTube with conversation examples and things, but just before LA sold out to the Disney Empire, they got YT to remove just about everything they could find because of what they called "spoiler" issues. Which is blatantly stupid as just about every guide site has complete listings of all the conversations and responses for every scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
And some people wonder why LucasArts isn't around anymore.

• Locked thread