Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah the pubbies in this game are assholes, especially considering the appeal of this game is supposed to be the story. They get unholy pissed if you don't hit spacebar. Part of that though I think is that everyone still playing is badly addicted and leveling their 100th character so they've run the same flashpoint 8 million times. I can understand it on KDY, but the other flashpoints not so much.

Is better on the RP servers. Unless you're doing ops most people are pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Second Sun posted:

Is better on the RP servers. Unless you're doing ops most people are pretty chill.

the cure... its worse than the disease!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I think I'll put together a new 3.0 OP over the next week. Condense the 2.0 specific information, and add a few things that I can think of right now based on the questions that we get -

Is the game worth playing F2P?

What stories are the best?

Can I just use the orange shell I got the whole time?

What's the best tank class?

What companion should I use?

Should I level as tank or DPS or heals?

Add information based on the changes to skill trees, etc.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Most of the current OP is still legit, but could benefit from some clean up.
If I was new to the game, I'd like to see a mini class and spec review/how it plays/how to play it that's a bit less crunchy than what's on Dulfy. Something that helps get a feel for the class from level 1 - 60 in 3.0

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

If I was new to the game, I'd like to see a mini class and spec review/how it plays/how to play it that's a bit less crunchy than what's on Dulfy. Something that helps get a feel for the class from level 1 - 60 in 3.0

Yeah I'm thinking OP is broad overview of the game, then second post a "Which class should I pick" and "How to get from 1-60". Maybe 3rd post about PvP but nobody likes PvP.

Also, we are never letting a Canadian do our OP again there are so many armours and other abortions of words in there that need correcting sheesh.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Also, we are never letting a Canadian do our OP again there are so many armours and other abortions of words in there that need correcting sheesh.

Hey now! Let's not say anything we can't take back, eh? :canada:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Second Sun posted:

Do people try to role play in flashpoints, or do they give it a rest there?

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do people try to role play in flashpoints, or do they give it a rest there?

Thankfully, I've never encountered any serious rp'er, aside from on the fleet.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Most of the reason people play on RP servers is because XxXLeetdudeYOLO is less likely to be there. They aren't interested in roleplaying usually, just interested in filtering out certain people.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Propagandist posted:

Most of the reason people play on RP servers is because XxXLeetdudeYOLO is less likely to be there. They aren't interested in roleplaying usually, just interested in filtering out certain people.

This is pretty much why I played WoW on an RP server back in the day.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm on a RP server, Beregan Colony, since that's where all my toons were back when I started this crazy game back in 2012. And yeah, I'd say that I haven't had much trouble with pubbies, nor too many ~ASSHATXIII~ named characters running around. There do seem to be a lot of "!DarthMalak!"s around for some reason, though.

With some of my characters running around on Alderaan I do kinda miss being on a PVP server whenever I run across someone from the opposing side in the Contested Valley, though. But everyone in my now defunct guild back in the day wanted an RP server, so even though I'm the only Kessel Midnight Runner still active, I'm stuck on a pure RP server. I mean, yes, I could do a server transfer, but I've got nine toons on Beregan, most of them at least into the '20s, and I ain't dropping 1800 cartel coins a head to move 'em someplace new. :sigh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jng2058 posted:

I'm on a RP server, Beregan Colony, since that's where all my toons were back when I started this crazy game back in 2012. And yeah, I'd say that I haven't had much trouble with pubbies, nor too many ~ASSHATXIII~ named characters running around. There do seem to be a lot of "!DarthMalak!"s around for some reason, though.

With some of my characters running around on Alderaan I do kinda miss being on a PVP server whenever I run across someone from the opposing side in the Contested Valley, though. But everyone in my now defunct guild back in the day wanted an RP server, so even though I'm the only Kessel Midnight Runner still active, I'm stuck on a pure RP server. I mean, yes, I could do a server transfer, but I've got nine toons on Beregan, most of them at least into the '20s, and I ain't dropping 1800 cartel coins a head to move 'em someplace new. :sigh:

If you were on a pvp server, that person on alderaan would likely be level 60. And there'd be three of them. Camping your spawn for fun. If my experience on a pvp server in wow is any indication, anyway

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Always a danger, I grant you, but even back in WoW, at least through Cataclysm which was the last time I played it, you mostly ran into guys near your level trying to level up or trying to do the area tower control stuff. Some of my favorite WoW memories came from random poo poo that happened in contested zones. Worse comes to worse if you get camped head back to the med center and do another quest or switch toons. :shrug:

I'm just saying it makes me get a little twitchy driving past some Jedi when I'm playing my Sorceress and all I can do is pretend I didn't see the guy.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I smeared a level 54 Guardian on Makeb as a level 53 Juggernaut and it was pretty satisfying.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Always a danger, I grant you, but even back in WoW, at least through Cataclysm which was the last time I played it, you mostly ran into guys near your level trying to level up or trying to do the area tower control stuff. Some of my favorite WoW memories came from random poo poo that happened in contested zones. Worse comes to worse if you get camped head back to the med center and do another quest or switch toons. :shrug:

I'm just saying it makes me get a little twitchy driving past some Jedi when I'm playing my Sorceress and all I can do is pretend I didn't see the guy.

Maybe it changed now but I'm trying to play wow on Sargeras (as Alliance, which has a numbers advantage there I believe) and it can be rough. Stranglethorn vale is a real hellhole, there's usually a couple level 100 jerks stealthing or flying around just looking for lowbies to one-shot. There's less of them in other zones, but really all it takes is one to ruin your day and make questing pointless.

I get the idea of why open world PVP should be fun, but all it takes is handful of max-level dudes with too much free time to basically ruin it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't understand why they don't just do level limits like EverQuest did back in 1998. When I started SWTOR on POT5 I expected PvP like that, where you could attack people +/- 4 levels of you. That way it was fair. And there was a benefit to killing people because you could take their money and in the early days, a piece of gear.

I quickly learned that in SWTOR open world PvP was not only unfair with 50s ganking lowbies, but it was pointless. No reward to killing people other than the joy of killing people (I will say it was satisfying one time killing a jedi trying to get away on his speeder by force pulling him into the group of us).

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

My favourite accidental kill in the early days of SWTOR was not even on a PVP server. I force pushed a mob into an abyss just as a Jedi was force leaping to it... The Jedi ended up following the mob to the bottom :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

My favourite accidental kill in the early days of SWTOR was not even on a PVP server. I force pushed a mob into an abyss just as a Jedi was force leaping to it... The Jedi ended up following the mob to the bottom :D

That happened to me a bunch of times and it was funny every time. I was in a group doing False Emperor and I used overload to knock a few mobs off as our group Marauder force leapt after him. I said "Uhhh dude, I can't taunt gravity"

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
The only time I have ever killed another player out of malice in SWTOR was on Tatooine, when I came across a flagged Imp doing that dumb "Scanning the Depths" GSI quest, standing on the edge of a giant canyon looking through his macrobinoculars. I wrestled with my conscience for about five seconds and then i force waved him into the abyss. Felt good, man.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

That happened to me a bunch of times and it was funny every time. I was in a group doing False Emperor and I used overload to knock a few mobs off as our group Marauder force leapt after him. I said "Uhhh dude, I can't taunt gravity"

I was that guy in Czerka once, leaping at a guy just as a merc jetted it into a pit. kinda owned.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blhue posted:

I was that guy in Czerka once, leaping at a guy just as a merc jetted it into a pit. kinda owned.

I've been the merc inflicting that on a glowsticker in Red Reaper, on that no-railing laser bridge before the last boss.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I fell off the bridge in hammer station once because it swtiched off in the middle of my crossing. I like to think that this is a rite of passage thing that happens to everyone, but it was probably just me.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I fell off the bridge in hammer station once because it swtiched off in the middle of my crossing. I like to think that this is a rite of passage thing that happens to everyone, but it was probably just me.

No, I did the same thing the first time too.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Medullah posted:

I think I'll put together a new 3.0 OP over the next week. Condense the 2.0 specific information, and add a few things that I can think of right now based on the questions that we get -

Is the game worth playing F2P?

I'm playing it casually as F2P (or more accurately, prefferred status, I spent very little on stuff to benefit my legacy generally and get rid of the most basic restrictions) and I haven't hit many obstacles so far. I am levelling slower but I'm in no rush. Might change my mind as I hit higher levels, I'm just pushing level 30.

A guide to using crew skills to make credits would be cool, the game doesn't guide you into using them properly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ugleb posted:

I'm playing it casually as F2P (or more accurately, prefferred status, I spent very little on stuff to benefit my legacy generally and get rid of the most basic restrictions) and I haven't hit many obstacles so far. I am levelling slower but I'm in no rush. Might change my mind as I hit higher levels, I'm just pushing level 30.

A guide to using crew skills to make credits would be cool, the game doesn't guide you into using them properly.

My contention has always been F2P is fine if you're playing it as a single player game. Once you hit endgame you pretty much have to subscribe if you don't want to punch yourself in the dick repeatedly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

No, I did the same thing the first time too.

.....yes....it was my first time, too...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

jng2058 posted:

I've been playing on an RP-PvP server since launch, and it's got pretty much the perfect combination as far as the community goes. People generally know how to play, but they also enjoy the story and don't give you poo poo for watching cutscenes. Faction balance has always been better than average, too, because Republic appeals to a lot of roleplayers. Best of all, the threat of physical retaliation weeds out the worst idiots on the RP scene.

The only problem is that the sole remaining (US) RP-PvP server has an incredibly small population. Big enough to function, but juuuust barely. My ops group has exactly 8 people, so we're screwed if one person has a thing to do that night.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The only problem is that the sole remaining (US) RP-PvP server has an incredibly small population. Big enough to function, but juuuust barely. My ops group has exactly 8 people, so we're screwed if one person has a thing to do that night.

If it's any comfort, you're currently better off than the goon guild!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I've been playing on an RP-PvP server since launch, and it's got pretty much the perfect combination as far as the community goes. People generally know how to play, but they also enjoy the story and don't give you poo poo for watching cutscenes. Faction balance has always been better than average, too, because Republic appeals to a lot of roleplayers. Best of all, the threat of physical retaliation weeds out the worst idiots on the RP scene.

Strange, given that on Ebon Hawk it's the opposite. Pub side is a ghost town, while Imp side is full. Granted its full of a bunch of tossers who dress their companions up in slave girl outfits and try to out dark each other. So I'm not sure if its an improvement. It's basically fine if you treat fleet like cancer though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I picked Vengeance for my Juggernaut's spec before checking this thread (I saw the Stance and liked it). Can I undo and pick another one, or will I need to pay up?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I picked Vengeance for my Juggernaut's spec before checking this thread (I saw the Stance and liked it). Can I undo and pick another one, or will I need to pay up?

You can respec at a trainer, or pay 200k to unlock field respec, but honestly just go with what you like the looks of. It's really 6 of one, half dozen of another when it comes to DPS specs until you get to endgame and even then ehhhhhhhh.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's Jung Ma, right? Maybe I'll roll a toon there, but I dunno if I've got the patience to start from scratch again. Especially since all the legacy stuff I've got will stay back on Begeren. :sigh:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

jng2058 posted:

That's Jung Ma, right? Maybe I'll roll a toon there, but I dunno if I've got the patience to start from scratch again. Especially since all the legacy stuff I've got will stay back on Begeren. :sigh:

You can get one free server transfer if you click on a refer-a-friend link, then at least you can move your legacy. I wouldn't really advise starting from nothing unless you've got that option.

I actually used mine (in conjunction with the 12x XP event) to set up some alts over on Ebon Hawk. I sent a relatively unused high-level character, his bags full of all the fancy color crystals I might want to duplicate and mail to an alt. I've mostly used him to play the GTN and buy expensive speeders to unlock account-wide, because the economy is way better there. I take comfort in knowing that if Jung Ma well and truly dies, I have sort of a "bug out bag" on a far more populated server.

It's a really good group of people that I play with, and we've stuck together through some lean times, but you never really know if it'll last. You're always welcome to come and hang out, though.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Need some way of being able to invite alts since it seems everyone else with invite powers has stopped playing... :(

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I don't play often enough to really justify subscribing, I'll just log in sometimes to play some story mode that I haven't done. Annoyingly, you pretty much need to do every quest available to keep up XP wise. There aren't really many sources of outside XP, since everything else is gated with a like 3/week limit.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Ugleb posted:

Underworld Trading purples seem to sell well, at least into the 30s so far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Humble Bundle this week is a Star Wars one. Both Knights of the Old Republic games included at the beat the average bundle.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is force unleashed 2 worth $12? I played the first one and it was solidly "meh". Too many enemies that can block your attacks, which has no place in a game with lightsabers honestly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is force unleashed 2 worth $12? I played the first one and it was solidly "meh". Too many enemies that can block your attacks, which has no place in a game with lightsabers honestly.

Empire at war was fun and worth $12ish if its the game I'm thinking of. Too bad some of the later Jedi Knights aren't in there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Empire at war was fun and worth $12ish if its the game I'm thinking of. Too bad some of the later Jedi Knights aren't in there.

Yeah, empire at war is a solid $12 game. I already own it unfortunately :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I only owned KOTOR2 On physical disk (gross) so I bought pretty much just for that. Hopefully this is like other humble bundles where I can gift out kotor 1

• Locked thread