Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

Do companion conversations only trigger in specific places? I'm on Coruscant, just got the Noetikon of Secrets, and as I was turning in other quests I saw Qyzen wanted a convo so I went to the cantina under Senate Tower, but he just keeps saying "Herald, must speak with you."

Sometimes its only on the ship. Look at the icon indicating he has a conversation on his picture. It'll have a little ship picture as part of the notification graphic.

They are all triggered off a combination of affection score and where you are in your class story, or maybe just what act you have completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

I loved the Jedi Consular's story. Chapter 1 is the worst part, but if you like being Yoda or Obi Wan, you'll like the consular. Spout Jedi platitudes, learn the mysteries of the Force through it's past, create diplomatic alliances, etc.

Knight is more akin to Luke or Anakin ie you kick rear end and take names.

I remember Luke whining a lot about wanting to kick rear end while someone else was taking names!

I messed around with a new character using HK from level 1. I plowed through the first 15 levels in a matter of hours. So much better! I suppose I need to buy him some gear.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah just the lord of agony thing. Ok I'll give it a shot!

I soloed it as a sawbones scoundrel at level 51 with a companion in greens. Took forever but that was probably due to my comps damage output.

I dont know how people play this game without a 12 button mouse. So many abilities to bind. I have all my mouse keys biund, shift + mouse keys bound, alt + mouse keys bound, and every key around the wasd keys. I still have to mouse click my rocket boots!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I see the gree event is coming back. I wasnt around when it was here in the past. Is it worth spending time doing it? The armor looks neat.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Agent's story and Smuggler's story are way different from what I've played (which is only Chapter 1) of each.

Agent's are all about being an... Agent. As one of their lines says, "We're the first ones in for info, and the last ones out for cleanup." You're basically a whipping boy to a Darth, but are the most competent person in the Empire. It highlights the issue of having 'be a sith who's strong' be the way you get political clout in the Empire.

The Smuggler meanwhile gets his car jacked, and goes to hunt this guy down, then goes off to make himself rich and be awesome and stuff. He does some neat things, but it's sort of close to the Knight story in that it's more about 'you' then it is about the world.

I'd say the closest fit to the Agent story is the Consular story actually - it shows a lot of interesting facts on the Republic/Jedi, and is all about helping it become a better place, similar to the Agent.

Also, Agents get better companions.

I don't know about agent companions, but the few times I've had Gus out as my smuggler he always says something that makes me laugh. Unfortunately I'm heal spec so I never use him, but he's entertaining.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Rianlee posted:

What I've noticed is that you often get planetary commendation drops with those bonus quests, but then I'm only on Balmorra, and I could be making connections where there is none.

Unless its changed recently, the ones that had multiple stages resulted in planetary comms. The rest were just an xp bonus. Not sure if there were any creds associated with either version.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

You get as many copies as you want once you have something in your collection?

Yes. That's how it looks with crystals anyways. I made 4 or 5 just by clicking the market "add to inventory" button a couple times.

It only cost 60 cartel coins to unlock it for all of your alts. Seems a lot less hassle than playing with legacy gear. Also seems silly to ban people over 60 cartel coins.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

How often do quests glitch on you guys? I had [HEROIC 2+] Saving Face on DK and Crash Course on Balmorra both glitch out and not give me the "return to quest giver" objective.

It took me several tries with a group at 17 to do Saving Face, and it didn't even let me get the prize, and and I apparently still can't solo it at 20 with Quinn for heals. More and more Elite Fatmen pop out the woodwork every time I've tried that quest.

Basically, what I'm asking is, do I NEED heroics and the occasional glitched sidequest?? I just finished everything else on Balmorra, aside from the Bonus Series. Those comms make them look SO ATTRACTIVE, but if they're not gonna register and I can't solo them after a whole planet later, that sounds pretty crappy to me.

If your goal is to just level quickly its often faster to just plug away at the missions and skip the extra stuff. Youll miss out on some gear and comms. I skipped a lot of that with my stealth classes and didnt have any major issues.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I just grouped with a bunch of gunslingers, and they seem to put my sentinel to shame in the damage output. Is that expected? I'm spec'd watchman tree, and always have been, but I'm having second thoughts after seeing how much better the gunslingers seemed to be doing with damage, especially with groups.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Aren't the damage meter addons for SWTOR pretty unreliable since they used the old, crappy synchronized tracking methods?

I'm not basing my comment on any stats... just perception based on the groups i was in today. It seemed like the couple gunslingers i was grouped with over the course of the morning would melt things a lot faster than my sentinel would. Not sure if that's just a weird perception, or if they actually are doing more damage. I've never looked at other skill trees... always thought watchman was considered a good pve tree.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I haven't seen the operation one but the Cartel one is sexy as hell. I'm tempted, so very tempted. It even comes with Legacy Speeder Piloting 1 which on the whole is probably negligible but I haven't bought it yet so...

Now that I am thinking about it, I noticed in the Collections panel there's 6 or 7 pets that say you get them from buying cartel coin cards. But they don't say which vendor gives you which one, is there a list somewhere? Might as well get a new pet if I'm loading up on CC for the mount I guess.

e: Although the new mounts aren't collectible right? Patch notes said something about they will be in 2.2? Also the cartel one is limited-time, or at least that's how the notes read to me.

I am giggling at the (unintentional I'm sure) Rule of Two example here.

The answer to all of your questions about cartel market stuff and guides for 50/55 are at dulfy.net. great resource for a lot of swtor things.

I try to give the flashpoint guide a read while we are running a new flashpoint since I don't have them memorized.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I love Watchman/Annihilation, but it's not the greatest raid spec because you more or less need to stick to your target. If you're off for more than 15 seconds, you lose Merciless/Annihilator and your dps takes a big dive. I think it'd be great if it just decayed instead of dropped, but I'm bad at balancing things. Would that be horrendously unbalanced?

Somehow I overlooked this post. What spec do you prefer for raiding?

I like my sentinel, but I get frustrated with bosses that leap around and always seem to slow you when they do it. I feel like I spend half my time trudging through mud and not damaging anyone. Sometimes I'm really jealous of gunslingers.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

At least you can leap...try raiding as a DPS Operative.

I can see that. I've only played my scoundrel as a healer at end game. I reiterate my jealousy of gunslingers! None of that melee DPS stuff AND you can still nut-kick people at will!

On that note, are gunslingers fun? I love the scoundrel "flavor" on all the conversations. I'm thinking about rolling yet another alt. I played a sniper to 17 and thought the cover mechanic was a little awkward.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

My Annihilation spec Marauder has been in some pretty bad groups and ended up doing my own tanking and using berserk to heal the group. ;)

That basically happened to me last night until we booted thr tank and got a new one. Loaded up a hm directive 7 via group finder. Everyone is 55 except the tank who is a level 50 shadow. We were just plowing through trash until we got to a bigger pull and the shadow kept melting to near death. He dies during 1 pull and the healer apologizes and tells him he's a "bit squishy". He doesnt understand the term, and proceeds to complain about how he never gets good gear. He also released immediately so the rest of us stand around waiting for him to work his way back. I take a look at his health at this point and notice he only has about 13k total. He apparently has the expansion but didnt seem to understand what he was being told about the makeb mods on the fleet. Next few fights he nearly dies again, but the group pressed on without complaining. He was kicked shortly later when he created the closest thing to a traditional eq style train ive seen in swtor; after missing a jump while attempting to circumvent some trash he doest know where to go, so he just runs straight through to us. At first I thought it was maybe 5 trash mobs, but stuff came from everywhere. It was closer to 20 and wiped everyone. He did not attempt to stealth his way past anything,

I never saw him use kinetic ward, and I wish I had checked to see if he was even in a tank stance. Im not convinced he was even aware he could stealth.

Edit: also, im not one of those bad sentinels :(

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

kmzh posted:

I think I know exactly which mob pack it is that you're talking about, heh.

And I have to admit I always look at everybody's health when I get into a GF group. I don't immediately kick or leave or anything, but it gives me a general idea of what I'm working with.

I seem to worry about it less when im on my sent. I figure my job is to flail around with 2 purple sticks until the carnage stops, with occasional droid cc duty tossed in.

Thats the first bad groupfinder experience ive had and really only wasted a couple of minutes to find a new tank. No big deal. I did see the shadow on the fleet later begging in general for "better gear for tanking".

A friend of mine was on his alt running low level hammer station where someone apparently pulled off a ninja loot. The healer for the group let everyone die at the last boss and timed it in a way in which he was able to finish the boss off and roll on the loot while everyone was running back and out of range. I guess the drops werent even useful for his class.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Have any of you bothered doing any of the GSI dailies? Am I going to want to throw myself in front of a bus if I start doing them?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Awesome. I'm going to give them a whirl today while running the makeb dailies as I wait for my HM flashpoint group finder queue to pop. Should be enough time to do all of them :\

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Annakie posted:

I've been playing off and on since release and came back a couple of months ago to play with some co-workers, but most of them have stopped playing since.

Currently I have a 55 Commando/healer on Harbringer and 35 Jedi Sentinal as well.

Then I have a 50 Commando/healer (I really liked the class), 50 Consular Sage/Healer on Jedi Covenant as well as a 35 IA/healer.

My problem has always been finding an active guild. I've probably joined at least half a dozen or more and they constantly seem to be falling apart or promises of activity run dry.

If I levelled a Sorcerer during the double XP weekends on JC, is the goon guild active enough that there's groups to do flashpoints and raids regularly?

Seeing as a companion is voiced by Det Lassiter, the ONLY class you should be playing is a trooper!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone happen to know what the cc cost is to unlock the eradicators warsuit for your legacy? Tempted to assemble one off the gtn and then use it to outfit some companions with oranges on other characters since it doesnt look terrible.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Note to self: Make second character a Cybertech. Maybe Operative? Stealth for easy questing and heals for FPs/raiding...

The stealth leveling seemed faster with my shadow than my scoundrel due to force speed, but that was pre-rocket boots days.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone know what the materials used for the 150 basic comm schematics? This one, for example.

I can't seem to find a site that shows the material cost, and I'm hesitant to spend comms on the schematics if it's going to require me to participate in ops just for the materials.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone have a link to a video for what emote: beach party looks like? I have 2 of these things and the cheapest one I see on our gtn is 800k. What makes it so special?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

There's a version on Nar Shaddaa (or possibly even Coruscant or Taris, I don't remember) that's dark blue and brown, instead of that olive drab color. Looks 50 times better, imo.

My scoundrel is sporting the Gunslinger's Prototype Jacket. There's a screenshot at that link as well. I just checked and it's not dyeable, but it's totally not necessary! The pic is a little dark from that link. It's basically blue, with some tan accent pieces. When you color match your gear to it, the pants usually come out a light brown or dark brown color... works pretty well usually.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Rascyc posted:

What am I missing about collections? I bought an Outrider Flight Jacket at some point, and it shows up as in my Collection. But the little icon that I thought you would click to dupe it/reclaim it/whatever just takes me back to the cartel shop where I guess I can just re-buy it?

I thought I'd be able to just keep duping it for my companions.

[e]Oh it says in the cartel market that additional copies can only be purchased with CC. What the? Why are some items reproducible but and others aren't?

It should be reproducible on the character you bought it on. A buddy of mine bought a speeder through the market and had a problem with not having a way to unlock it for his legacy.

I've purchased a number of things in game that had originally come from cartel packs and have not had any issues making additional copies or unlocking it for legacy. What should happen is once the item is equipped, the box in the lower left corner should look like your inventory icon with 2 arrows. If I go to a different character the item is lit up there also, but that box is replaced with a different cartel coin icon. Clicking that opens up an option to purchase it for my legacy for a certain amount of coins. Once purchased a new icon shows up saying it has been opened for the legacy and the money icon is replaced by the inventory one.

I've opened up color crystals, speeders, and an armor set to my legacy and haven't run into any issues yet. Maybe its an issue with the items that are purchased directly with cartel coins as opposed to what's in the packs?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

The fact that I don't need to worry about LS/DS choices on my agent makes me feel a lot better. Wish that'd been clearer before, because some of the choices are, as mentioned, goddamn idiotic.

I had one character i went pure lightside with (jedi knight, woo!), and a jedi consular i went pure darkside. Every other character i basically just choose the option that is either funniest or most useful to me at the time (dark side choice that saves you from having to do part of a flashpoint, for example). Ive enjoyed the stories more on the characters that werent locked in to a particular side. The relic thing is kind of dumb, but at end game it doesnt matter.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
2.2 patch notes are out. All cartel packs are going away it seems ("embargoed"). Im trying to decide if its worth it to pick some up tonight and resell after the patch.

Stan S. Stanman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 12, 2013

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

I totally love the new pistol, assault gun and sniper. Having never actually bought these crates, how much chance do you have of actually finding poo poo that is worth it ? I don't want to waste the cartel coins on these things.

It depends on the rarity of the item. If you look at them in the collections area, they're usually listed as a rare, super rare, or ultra rare item in the description. Some items seem to drop all the time. I have more bunker busters and sniper rifles than I know what to do with. I opened a hypercrate and got mostly junk with a couple of decent items. And now I'm being indecisive about if i use them or sell them. I have a cathar honor sword, a cartel decedant skiff, some aratach speeder, a couple emotes that list for a ridiculous amount, and a few other things of value. I can't decide if I want to keep them for myself because they seem to be rare, or sell them for a bunch of creds I'm not sure I even have a use for.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm fine with that with the level 50 hard mode flashpoints, but with the 55 ones...you're going to make your healer work their rear end off to keep you alive, and honestly it's going to hurt the group in general. Especially Hammer Station, where that bonus boss is a bitch of a DPS race.

Exactly. Severely undergeared people in the level 55s is a huge pain, if it's not completely doomed in the first place. The group of friends I run a weekly fp with are still trying to get geared up. The tank and dps are in a mix of makeb mods and some q66 stuff, and we still have some difficulties with certain fights, and that's with coordination via mumble.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Makeb is big and confusing to me, but I'd like to get up to Hero status so I can get the implant recipes. Anyone have any recommendations for the best way to farm reputation? The staged weekly seems to take a long freaking time to do each one, though I guess I could have just picked the longest ones...seriously, one of the missions took over an hour and I was stealthing past mobs left and right...

Go to dulfy.net immediately. There staged weekly missions are listed in the makeb guide, they tell you which ones are long and which ones are short. The staged weekly takes me about an hour. Once you've run it a few times, you'll figure out you can speeder past most of the crap. If you're a stealth class, you can speeder past most of the crap, and then pop stealth to get out of combat. I do that with all the dailies and weeklies. Plus, if you have everything up, you can do the GSI makeb dailies, the regular dailies, and the staged weekly together and more than 1 thing in a couple of mesas.

Those rep items drop like crazy off mobs. I hit hero status pretty quickly, but i also ran the makeb story with 3 different characters, which helped.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone making any of the artifact microfilament earpieces or implants? They're the schematics you buy for basic comms and use a vial of isotope-5. I'm debating picking one up and hoping to make a profit crafting them. Those parts seem to be really good considering they come from a crafter, and they seem to sell for between 200-300k depending on if they're augmented. I have about 250 comms I have no use for at this point, so I think I could do a schematic and a bunch of vials of isotope 5. Anyone having any financial success mass producing these?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I picked up the cunning earpiece with power/surge, since its the one I would use as a smuggler healer or dps. I crafted 1 and it crit, so I tossed it up on the market. We'll see what happens!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Crit has such small returns that its not worth stacking. Surge isn't bad though.

Yeah. Everything I've read from people who love to analyze things to the minor detail leads me to believe crit and alacrity aren't worth adding. I have some +crit items, but your main stat adds crit chance also I think. It seems like +power is always good for non-tanks. That particular earpiece just happened to have +surge to go with it. There was another cunning based earpiece but I didn't like something about it. It may have had too much endurance.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I know. I was more asking why he not simply drop Surge for Alacrity. Maybe it's just because he's talking about Smugglers and they don't work like Consulars, but from reading the Sage forum it appears that Power/Alacrity is pretty much the better option in every instance.

I don't know what the sages would need. My only consular experience is as a tank-specced Shadow, so the gearing there is drastically different. The earpiece I'm making is +166 end, +163 cunning, +79 power, +74 surge. I went and looked, and the other option with cunning was basically the same with alacrity in place of surge, or a third option with about the same power and alacrity, but a more endurance and a lot less cunning.

Buffed I sit at almost 30% crit rate and 75% surge rate. I have a few too many crit items right now due to gearing up with some +crit 28 mods before I really did a lot of research, but crits are still useful. Critical hits of diagnostic scan (which is essentially a free quick HoT that does very little healing) restore energy, so since it ticks so fast and you crit so often it's basically an energy regen skill. I've never really had much energy issues at end game as a scoundrel, but I've never done any operations either so I don't know how my tactics would change if I was gearing for that.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

cat doter posted:

I was wondering, the gear sets you can buy with cartel coins, how do they work? Are they like WoW's heirlooms or something?

They're bound to the character you equip them on. My understanding is if they're the ones that have stats, you can just buy the one copy and that's it, but if it's the ones that are just open shells, you can buy them and max copies via the collections interface for that character. There's an additional fee to open them up legacy wide.

I have the thana vesh set on my sentinel, so i can make multiple copies of it on my sentinel and use it for my companions. However, I would have to spend something like 300 CCs to open it for the rest of my alts. Not all sets are that expensive. I think the phantom set may have been cheaper. The relaxed jumpsuit one is something like 60 or 90 coins. I forget.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

JayJay posted:

Sooo, my Sniper is now level 33 and I am pretty overwhelmed with skills at this point. Still gaining new ones every few levels and my bars are pretty much full. I assume theres no macros, so how the hell do people manage all these skills? None of them seem necessarily worthless. I guess I might have to start binding ctrl+1-5 on top of my mouse buttons, q e f g z x c v and cover bar.

12 button mouse. Then shift + most of the 12 buttons, then alt + almost all 12 buttons. Then binding ` q e z x c also.

This game will give me carpal tunnel.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
How comparable is merc and sniper ranged DPS? Im still debating leveling a commando or gunslinger next, but I've already done the scoundrel story. I'm not sure I'm enjoying the cover mechanic, but I'm also only level 18 at this point.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Sniper is way better DPS than Merc, but a lot less utility and you have to sit in front of your little stupid cover screen thing. Merc you can be a healer with the same gear you DPS in, and you get to do Shoryukens and Death From Above is the coolest move in the game.

I have a power tech and definitely like the animations better than the commando and their assault weapon. Unfortunately my friends all play republic.

Does sniper/gunslinger DPS get any "faster"? I feel like I'm relegated to using long cast time abilities to do damage.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Ajax posted:

When I politely queried him with regards to his armor choice:

"Dude whatever."
"I'm sorry I don't know the loving TOR dress code"

:allears:

I'm fairly sure I've grouped with the level 50 equivalent of that guy. Doesn't work out too well when he's the tank.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I just picked my Jedi Sentinel back up and I must say, I'm having more fun with it (at least in flashpoints and pvp) than I was with my trooper. Solo questing is a bit of a chore (I'm on Belsavis) because I still don't have half of my rotation skills yet but it's refreshing to drop it off and come back later.

I like my sentinel. Stuff just melts in normal pve environments. The only issues I have with it is its impossible to get a group using group finder in a timely fashion, and a lot of end game boss mechanics seem to have knock-backs and snares, or require a lot of running around which kills your damage ability.

Still fun though. The new dual light saber throw is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Sigh, back to Tython. I really hate that place. I want to give all my cartel coins to never do a level 1-10 planet again.

Out of DS/LS consular, which would be more interesting in your opinion ?

Purchase HK-51 at level 1 with cartel coins. Starting planets are instantly awesome. His gear is non-existant becuase it's level 50 so he gets no stats from it, but he wrecks groups. You can basically send HK into packs as you run past. You'll be level 10 and off the planet in an hour.

• Locked thread