Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Azzmo posted:

Just hop off a cliff or get in combat with something and type /stuck and you'll die and rez outside at the nearest medical station.

This is also the best way to do Makeb dailies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

BigDes posted:

Weekly Czerka quest on the Rep side is still bugged

Which is annoying

And it's inconsistently bugged. Ran through everything on my Shadow, weekly is still in my log because it says I didn't finish Manual Shutdown. Which I did, twice. Already put in a ticket for it.

Did all the quests on my Commando, got credit for the weekly. :shrug:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Rascyc posted:

Looking forward to the pug 4 man duels personally.

I'm really happy that they're going to keep them to the standard 1 tank, 1 heal, 2 dps setup. I got really burned out on horribly imbalanced pug PVP matches and haven't PVP'ed much at all since 2.0 dropped. This may give me a reason to go back.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Nipponophile posted:

I don't think that's actually the case. The blog mentions specifically that ranked solo queues will match players with a same role counterpart on opposite teams, so you won't end up with 4 healers versus 4 tanks, but you could get 4 tanks versus 4 tanks. Group ranked will be whatever composition you put together, and nothing is mentioned about unranked.
Got it. I think I saw the Huttball scoreboard screenshot with the 2dps/tank/heal composition and got overly optimistic. But it is nice that the teams will still be balanced role-wise.

quote:

What's interesting is that the author was clarifying some points on the forums today, and he mentioned that roles will be determined by examining your skill trees and not just letting you select whichever you like.
Also, no respeccing while you're in queue! And anyone with a pure hybrid spec (23/23/0 for example) gets queued as a DPS.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Vriess posted:

Ugh, I was up 'til 3am. Did bounties on 17 different characters and then three Kingpins.

Already maxed the rep and then some. 30% of the achievements done on the first day.

Maybe I'm going too hard on this.

Not at all. You're being efficient. (DISCLAIMER: I have 11 active characters and my opinion means nothing)

By the time the event is over I should be able to get all the henchmen twice (kill and capture each) and unlock all the available kingpins. Then next month, kill/capture each kingpin and cruise until I hit max rep.

I love/hate the Achievements for things like this.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Just saw someone with the legacy title Death Mark in Seven Systems - you get that from having all the Kingpin contracts authorized. Guess I'd better get a move on, I only have 3! :v:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

And a crystal that looks like a heating coil!

The veractyl mount is pretty awesome though.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Just got the Wanted: Dead or Alive title. I'm only kind of ashamed.

Now I can spend the next few days going back to my endgame grinding without worrying about any more event crap! :neckbeard:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Hulk Smash! posted:

3. Engage bosses without waiting for the DPSes (DPii?) to recoup their energy/heat or even be in the same room yet

This is one that really burns my rear end - isn't "wait for the whole group to catch up" a basic rule of FP etiquette? I can't count the number of times I've run a FP with a tank who does this - bonus points if they don't wait for the healer either!

On the other side of things, I've tanked a handful of FPs with a DPS who thinks they're a tank and charges into mobs first. Once or twice on accident, I'll let it slide - we've all hit the wrong key at some point. Make it a habit and I'll just watch you die (and/or use Force Cloak aka "gently caress you guys I'm out" if I'm on my Shadow.)

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

a slim spar posted:

Anyway, I'm about to start a smuggler for the first time (female, because despite people bitching about her VA, I love Kath Soucie and her voice work). What's a better Smuggo storyline, dark side or light side? I sort of feel like her cute young-y voice might not work well with DS characters but I'm more interested in playing a cool story than in propriety or anything else.

Smuggler is pretty great no matter how you play it. I played my Fem Scoundrel mostly DS and just started Chapter 2 with a LS male 'Slinger and they're both awesome.

Because I'm a terrible person, I recommend keeping Corso with you as much as possible, at least for conversations, and taking all the DS and [Flirt] options you can (there's plenty.)

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
ROTHC free to subscribers starting Sep 12:
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130910

Let the whining begin.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Nipponophile posted:

Looks like 2.4 is coming out next week. Dang, I was kind of hoping to have some more time to get the hang of Nightmare EC before new raids dropped.

Is there supposed to be a new tier of PVP gear with this patch? I took a break from PVP after 2.0 and started up again in the last couple of weeks, I can't wait for my just-purchased Partisan gear to be outdated!

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
The completionist in me really likes this:

quote:

Added a new category called "Dailies" to the Achievement Window which tracks Achievements for the following Daily Mission Areas:

New: CZ-198
New: Oricon
Moved: Black Hole (previously located under Location > Corellia)
Moved: Section X (previously located under Location > Belsavis)

And one of the new ops already needs a fix: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6801095#edit6801095

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

ThreeSixXero posted:

69s are now bought with Basic comms, with Elite comms buying 72s, and Ultimate comms buying 78s. It's beautiful, really, because now we have an incentive to run HM55FPs again.

I wondered why the Oricon story missions were dropping 66 gear + Basic comms.

Looks like I'll be spending my weekend running HM 55 FPs and Makeb/CZ-198/Oricon dailies on my lvl 55's...

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Nipponophile posted:

Highlights included dying like 17 times each while doing the heroic.

That heroic is no joke. I ran it with 3 others on my Sorcerer and we kept hitting the trifecta: fight champ boss + aggro extra mob + someone falls in pit below shuttle

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

gently caress yeah. I haven't done any space missions in ages but I can't wait for this.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Rascyc posted:

Hey I'm running the weekly group finder agains for ultimate comms! Gotta get that great 78 gear and skip entirely over Kell Dragon.

I got to upgrade from 69 to 78 bracers on my Shadow! WOW stats go up fast when you skip two tiers..

Still not crazy about most of the new gear. The "wings" on the Consular/Inquisitor chestpiece are killing me.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Tezzeract posted:

So what's the consensus on the Oricon content? Are people enjoying it? I was also wondering about Czerka and the new arenas also (stopped playing around June.)

As mentioned upthread, Czerka has a quick set of dailies that are good for easy cash+Basic comms, and a hidden macrobinocular quest that gives you a pet too. There's also two new flashpoints that are pretty quick runs. If you queue up for SM through groupfinder, you'll get matched with the first three other available players regardless of role. (The SM flashpoints are technically [GROUP 2+] which is why they're so easy). Weekly Czerka includes all four dailies and the two flashpoints; easy way to get a few comms (Basic and Elite if I'm recalling correctly.) Dailes are identical on Republic and Empire sides.

Oricon is a bit harder and reminds me of Makeb with mobs EVERYWHERE but it's usually pretty populated and there's always someone looking to help. Once you finish the story quests (after the Heroic) you unlock the dailies... which are the same as the story quests. They're also identical on Republic and Empire sides. Really cool planet, lots of crazed enemy NPCs and creepy-looking scenery.

I've now run through Dread Fortress 16-man SM twice and it's not terrible. Two of the bosses are largely your basic tank-n-spank and don't-stand-in-circles, the other three are varying levels of "OH gently caress IT'S A WIPE" due to insane amounts of adds and/or lots of ways to one-shot you. (I'm also a relative newbie to Ops so anyone that runs with a regular group can probably give a better opinion)

Once you finish the Oricon story quests and both new ops you get an Arkanian relic along with the usual comms/cash.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
CZ-198 macrobinocular quest guide:
http://dulfy.net/2013/07/29/swtor-corporate-communications-cz-198-macrobinocular-quest-guide/

And how can I forget about the rare mount!!
http://dulfy.net/2013/08/07/swtor-desler-explorer-mount-guide/

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Despite having a pile of characters on Shadowlands, I rolled a DPS Sage on Jedi Covenant for shits & giggles and got him to 11. I had some ideas for other characters so I rolled 5 more. And I might as well get all the classes in there so I'm creating another 2 when I get home.

I'll be online the next day or two looking for Goon Squad/TNG invites. Help feed my addiction!

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Had way too much fun leveling up my lowbie Asstank on JC last night. The Sith Inquisitor story isn't new to me - the husband unit and I leveled up a Sorc/Mara pair a while back and I have a 55 Sorc elsewhere - but I'd forgotten how awesome the male VA is. Especially when picking the snarkiest responses (which are the best). Love that it's a Shadow tank with lightning instead of rocks so I feel like a pro already.

Only one complaint - Legacy is only server-wide. Had to start over at Legacy Level 1 and buy Rocket Boots again (how tragic). But I get to use the same stupid custom UI!

If anyone in TNG (or anyone on JC) wants to group for lowbie PVP or flashpoints, hit up I'chiro. I should be around at least a couple nights a week.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Finally reached Champion rank with the Oricon repuatation group. I'd had my eye on the Hallowed Gothic Robes so I picked up the lower robe for my Sorc. I've also been using the black/yellow dye module for a while. Color matched the lower robe and got an awesome blood-spatter-like effect:

And even if my Sorc is in fighting stance it still looks cool with the weird stretched-out effect. I think it goes well with the blood-red crystal:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

acidblue posted:

I found leveling with Cybertech was very useful to keep your gear up to date. My main is Cybertech and I make my alts Armoring every few levels. It helps a ton.

Also great to gear up any droid companions, especially after you hit 55. I bought all the droid armoring schematics from the Czerka rep vendor on CZ-198 and have been pimping out 4X, SCORPIO, and all of my HKs.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

I was lucky enough to be part of this test group! :woop: The Massively writeup gives a nice overview but I can add some things. Obviously this is all subject to change before launch:

--Launching GS is really simple. There's another tab on your minimap that you click to open the "hangar". From there you choose your crew and copilot, choose your ship, buy upgrades, and get into the queue.

--Ships: Everyone gets two ships to start off with but you can buy more with comms later. You can also upgrade the shield, engine, and weapons (for comms) and customize your paint job (for Cartel Coins). One neat feature is the ability to change which ship you want to use while in queue. Your choice of ship isn't locked until combat starts, so you can decide until literally the last second. Once the queue pops and you're in a group, you can see which ships your groupmates are using and coordinate your squad.

--As mentioned in the writeup, the companions you choose for each role can add certain bonuses (reloading time, accuracy, etc). In addition, certain companions can only fulfill certain roles, though anyone can be your copilot. Everyone gets the new GS companions, but you can also use any of your existing companions - I tested with my 55 Smuggler and 55 Agent so I had the full set available. And, even better, you can purchase the option to use any of the other companions from your faction. Want to bring Kaliyo, Skadge, and Khem to your Sith Warrior's ship and create some sort of psychotic Imperial Dream Team? Now you can! Can't remember if the purchase was through comms or Cartel Coins.

--Copilot: Only the copilot has any extra lines but they're all done well. I tried a couple of the new companions (pretty good), Kaliyo (still a psycho) and HK-51 (A+++ EXCELLENT WOULD CHOOSE AS COPILOT AGAIN)

--Controls: I haven't played much in the way of flying/spacefighting games so it took me a while to get used to the controls and not get dizzy when I realized I could move in 3 dimensions. Once I got past that it was a simple setup: all movement is through a combination of WASD and mouse click & drag. Like the existing space combat you have four hotkeys on a quickbar, and these will change depending on the shield, engine, and weapons you have on your ship. Firing is also the same: left mouse button for guns, right mouse button for missles.

--Gameplay: (DISCLAIMER: I am terrible at this. Bottom-of-the-leaderboard terrible.) Teams start from ships on opposing sides of the map, with 3 objectives in the middle. Objectives are labeled A, B, and C. Fire at the objective point to gain control of the objective. Hang around the objective and fire on enemy ships. Or try to capture/defend another objective. Or just try to kill people. Or fly around aimlessly. At some point the controlling team gets drones. Points scored that seem to roughly correlate with how many objectives you control and for how long. Enemy ships have labels showing how far away they are but that didn't stop me from trying to hit someone 10000m away or trying to fire through a solid object. And you can kamikaze into stuff.

--Scoring: At the end of each match you get the usual PVP leaderboard with stats and medal counts. Stats include hit percentage, kills, and deaths, and medals are awarded for kill counts and such.

--Commendations: Matches earn you "Ship" and "Fleet" comms; I was getting a rough ratio of 10:1 Ship:Fleet comms in each match. Generally, Ship comms allow you to upgrade your ship while Fleet comms allow you to buy new ships. You can convert Ship comms to Fleet comms... for Cartel Coins. :(

Overall I'm really impressed. I think it will bring back a decent amount of players and give others a reason to play more often. Personally I will stick with mostly ground-based stuff - I haven't even done the existing space combat in probably a year - but GS is definitely worth playing every now and then. I'll have to check out the PTS this weekend and see if there's anything new. And try to be less terrible.

tl;dr - I suck at playing this expansion but it's p. cool

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

nonentity posted:

You enter into a volume based on a radius from the control point and hang out to capture it after you've cleared it of enemies. You see a green "capturing / hacking into control point" VFX on your ship at that time.

poo poo, that makes a lot more sense. I will use this information as part of my "be less terrible at Galactic Starfighter" quest!

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Al Baron posted:

Rakghoul event's coming back.

FINALLY! So does this mean we can look forward to more mass suicides from the top level of fleet? And people exploding in PVP matches? :neckbeard: I even like all of the titles and stuff that goes with it. "Lord of the Rakings"? YES.

Aside from the "Special Snowflake" title (which I will spend a stupid amount of time going after) I'm not really excited about the Life Day stuff. As far as I'm concerned they hit it out of the park last year with the Xmas light snowblower.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Hulk Smash! posted:

i am tim! posted:

I'm playing through KOTOR 2 again and I'm thinking I'll give this another go as my kinda-sorta KOTOR 3. I'm pretty interested in playing the Inquisitor, is their story line as fun/zappy as it sounds? Because I want to electrocute my way across the galaxy.

Yes, the Inquisitor story is positively shocking :haw:

I liked it enough to do it twice. The voice actors are really good and you get to be cartoonishly evil if that's what you want. Much zapping involved.

Seconding this. For pure fun I suggest rolling a Madness Sorcerer - Force Lightning with no cooldown is hilariously awesome.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Nipponophile posted:

Some Life Day shenanigans along with the Return of the Return of the Gree coming up next week:

http://dulfy.net/2013/12/12/swtor-life-day-and-gree-event-starts-on-dec-17/

I don't care what the Gree Digitization Cube looks like, I must have it. And I can't wait to throw snowballs and crap all over the place. :neckbeard:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Eskie posted:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm reading up on the "how to make fat stacks of space money" posts in this forum, and have what might be a dumb question: What's the best thing to actually do with your credits?

Buy gear? Something else? I'm still kind of overwhelmed by the sheer amount of currencies and things to buy with them that this game bombards you with (it certainly is an MMO), so I don't quite know what to make of it. I'm only level 19 right now, I've just been getting my gear from quest rewards--I'm assuming there will come a time where that stops being feasible?

Credits in this game are really (in my experience) only used for three things: repair costs, playing space pretty pretty princess, and buying random vanity items/mounts etc. Repair costs are negligible unless you're raiding (and if you're in TNG the guild covers raid repairs), pretty princess is cheap until high level when it becomes exorbitantly pricey (~160k per piece of gear), and vanity items can cost millions depending on what you want.

As for gearing, quest reward gear is okay, but make sure you use your planetary coms to get armorings/mod/enhancements for orange gear. Doing that will take you through to 55 after which you can run the Oricon quests to get a set of level 55 gear that's decent enough to start 55 FPs/raiding.

I'd also suggest spending credits to keep your companion's gear up to date. You have the option of getting new companion gear from some quests but they're not regular drops. Most planets have vendors that sell green and blue stuff appropriate for that planet's levels - you can always pick up armorings/barrels/hilts and there's usually a specialty goods vendor that has random things like earpieces.

And there's always the GTN. I frequently outfit my companions in dirt-cheap greens and blues while leveling, and if I end up with some ugly orange gear I'll give it to a non-human comp (Khem, Qyzen, Blizz, etc) and just keep up with mods.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Here is a list of things that are mandatory (for endgame raiding/PVP) that you will need to spend credits on:

Augment kit MK-9s (or crafting them)
Augments (or crafting them)

If you've got the money for those two, go hog wild on anything else you like.

Feels like just yesterday I was spending all my credits Augment Kit MK-6s! :negative:

If you really want to go nuts, roll a tank and spend your post-55 life trying to get as close to the ideal tank stat distribution as possible by swapping out augments every time you get a new piece of gear.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Jumping on the referral bandwagon!

http://www.swtor.com/r/7C4NNd

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Thanks for the Cartel Packs, Secret Thranta! :greatgift: Companion gifts for Khem, reputation trophies + mats + XP boosts + a title for me, and new orange gear!

Modeling some of the goods with Andronikos:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Has anyone paid attention to the questions during the first trial in the Voss Shrine of Healing for various classes/alignments/roles? I went through it on a lightside Operative Healer last night and the first question started with "You are one of our best healers.. but another healer was in the vision.." This is the first healer I've gotten to Voss so that really stuck out. I ran a neutral-ish Sniper through there about a year and a half ago (yikes) so I don't remember anything class-specific about that part of the quest. And I've been there recently with a Powertech Tank (darkside) and Gunslinger (lightside) and neither of them got any questions like that.

I also found out the male Agent can flirt with SCORPIO. And yes, I chose that option. :cripes:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
You should have at least one Sith Pureblood, if only to use the "Punish" species ability.

Smacking Quinn is very satisfying. Smacking HK-51 is HILARIOUS.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Mind over Matter posted:

As someone who's never been around for the Rakghoul events, what should I know?

Pretty much this:

Medullah posted:

Yay get ready for 5 instances of the fleet with two hundred people in a circle exploding on each other!

The first time the event came around, there was no prior announcement. You go to fleet and there's some hovering news terminal to click on which basically says "don't go to Tatooine" - so of course that's where you went. There were several quests on Tatooine that would give you a piece of the BOL Imperial/Republic Containment Officer set as a reward option. Some were obvious (mission icon over a datapad or whatever), some were not (clicking on certain things in Anchorhead or out in Jundland, for example.) Each day of the event you could do one additional quest, so if you didn't get started within the first day or two you weren't able to get some of the set pieces.

You could also get infected by a Rakghoul or by another player - the infection went through 3 stages, the last of which was you exploding and infecting anyone else around you (I think it was about a 10m radius). When you rezzed it didn't cost any extra to repair your gear AND you got a Rakghoul DNA sample! DNA samples could be traded in at a vendor on Tatooine by the wrecked starship out in the Dune Sea - this is where you got the BOL Infected Companion Customization, which unfortunately was random. (If I recall correctly, there was something different in that area of Tatooine at launch. The wrecked ship showed up when the event started and has been there ever since - I think that's a neat touch.)

I hope they switch it up a bit this time around. The unannounced start was cool but a lot of people were upset that they missed out on the start of the event and couldn't get all the set pieces or as many DNA samples as they wanted.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Nipponophile posted:

This one looks to be totally new, so we're mostly equally ignorant.

A couple things can be inferred from the new achievements, like a new ops boss (probably along the lines of Xenoanalyst) and a bunch of Rakghoul killing to be done.

e: It looks like they're making the Infected companion customizations available again, so I'll be slightly less of a special snowflake running around with Infected Mako.

And they're adding new customizations! I am looking forward to a fully infected Havoc Squad.

http://dulfy.net/2014/01/10/swtor-thorn-reputation-items/

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Mysterious things are still happening on Alderaan!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7113085#post7113085

(I'm really enjoying all the posters in that thread getting into it, I love nerding out on lore in this game)

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Anyone kill the Tunnel Lurker yet? I've been playing this stupid game all day and he's the only one I haven't gotten.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Woo, screenshots:

Getting ready to address the crew on the Thunderclap (2 years ago!):

Rakghoul trash in the Lair of the Eyeless, post-Orbital Strike, earlier tonight:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Ran KDY with Level 55 guildies on Shadowlands last night. We got Central Armory/Starship Assembly/Major Benes. Only one of us had actually checked out Dulfy so I'm really glad we were on Teamspeak for the assembly portion: "Hey guys there's some lore stuff on these datapads!" "Oh crap we can only select one destination..." "poo poo is this bugged?" "Hey I found something clicky in the next room." "...wait a sec we actually need the info from those datapads!" And we almost wiped on Benes (in spite of using my Sorc off-heals and the Kolto station) until someone realized the degaussers get rid of the Handful of Grenades. :haw:

I like that it's accessible to everyone Level 15 and up and it changes every time. Nice way to kill some time, get some rep, chase some achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Ainsley McTree posted:

It still bugs me when it happens, but I take comfort in the fact that these are people who get emotional about the results of unranked SWTOR PVP matches (sub-55, no less) and I'm not which makes me the real winner
I was in a 10-29 match once where most of us were <15 except for one 28-29 person. Who kept telling us how much we suck, L2P, etc. (Aside from being lowbies we weren't actually doing that bad.) He/she/it ragequit and we ended up winning.

wazu posted:

I one time ran the huttball to the complete wrong end zone. When I crossed I was like, "why isn't it scoring us a point?" Then glanced down and saw the arrows pointing opposite direction, then directly up to see row after row of teammates screaming "OTHER WAY YOU IDIOT!"
I'm ashamed to say I've done that twice. :cripes: I like to think it's almost a rite of passage. Like summoning the Nightmare Pilgrim!

Nipponophile posted:

Also, subscribers are getting another free speeder next month. Yay!
At first glance it looked like the thing would randomly give away credits whenever you mounted it. Sadly that is not the case..
http://www.swtor.com/lucky77

• Locked thread