Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is Groupfinder in this game broken or something?

Or are healers and tanks so rare that sitting for 40+ minutes wont get a pop as a non-50 DPS?

Even as a healer doing 50/55 HM queues it takes 30 or so minutes. Are tanks hilariously rare?

I want to do FPs to get gear and do the dailies, but holy poo poo, every time I get a group either the tank or healer leaves and we'll wait for 40 mins at the last boss for a replacement and never get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Warmachine posted:

This was brought up recently in the previous thread, but don't concern yourself with holding every mob in the group. Just get the Champions > Elites > Strongs. Everything else dies in 1 GCD, and the strongs die in 2. The similar games you mentioned all have in common that if a non-tank is being hit, the non-tank is dead. SWTOR doesn't have that. You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you only tank what you need to.

As a Guardian, if my Saber Reflect and AOE Taunt is on CD, I have jack poo poo for AOE threat. So rather than run after every mob, I grab what I need to keep the group alive, and let the group kill the rest. I'll sometimes preface (especially the 3rd pull in Hammer Station HM) "Kill weakest to strongest."

Yeah, playing a Sniper I've had a few tanks try to run after Elites/Strongs who try to attack me when they've got another elite and 1-2 more strongs on them already. I had to be like, 'you know, I can handle it if it's just one at a time.', and he was super thankful for the rest of the dungeon. In my head, he joined another Group Finder group and tried to do the same and got vote kicked for not handling every mob. This is what I expect of the TOR community.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm disappointed with my space barbie dress up customization. I mostly play Sith (species), and would love to stick some of the Human Customization hairs onto it, but I assume they aren't multi-race.

I wonder how long it will take Bioware to release Sith Customization Hair and Hair Color. I want to have bright pink skin and hair to go with my Pink/Purple dyed armor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I had no issues with the female trooper romance due to the catness.

I had issues with the female trooper romance because I wanted to throw him off a drat cliff.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I was running through a FP on my Sniper today, and got stuck with three RPers who insisted on RPing their way through, and kept telling me to bow and the like, and so I 'played along', but consistently pulled things I shouldn't and then left them to kill the other guys while I ran off. Eventually they turned into whiny baby mode and completely stopped talking in characterly, so I put on my best faux sincerity and was like, "Why, I had no idea m'lords were so impotent. I apologize for overestimating the force"

This led to them going back into character for two more wipes (that I escaped from), before they started bitching again.

We finally hit the final boss, and all of them but me died while it was at about 2% HP, so I soloed it down, looted the body, and left the FP after needing on every drop the whole thing (and winning all but one item). Two of them (who were in the same guild) PMed me asking if I'd like to join their guild, because it was a 'fun run'. :shrug:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mind over Matter posted:

Tips for dealing with roleplayers without being a complete rear end in a top hat.

1. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to gently caress with RPers who don't know how to play the game? That's incredibly boring.

Next you'll tell me that I shouldn't tell people they are terrible in WZs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Simon Draskovic posted:

I asked in general chat "Are speeders like mounts from WoW?" in the "a thing that makes you go places faster" sense. In about thirty seconds everyone started complaining about Pandaren, Diablo's RMAH, Starcraft 2, and on and on and on and on. It was really weird.

If you want a really fun time, go to a Fleet and say that the game's PVP sucks because there's no real Warsong Gulch style Capture the Flag.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Can someone explain to me how equipment works in this game? I searched the GTN for a new blaster pistol, level 1-24, and literally didn't find one. Someone told me that I should buy some level 1 pistol and upgrade it all the way until 55. So I'm to stick with the same equipment and just upgrade it? How does that work? I don't understand the different levels or types of equipment. What's adaptive equipment? And why is there PvP gear? Do people switch out of their regular gear when queuing for war zones? What's the point of that?

Why is the equipment system so needlessly convoluted? I'd prefer just earning my stuff though mission rewards like I've been doing, gradually upgrading older gear.

Adaptive armor and anything that's orange (Custom) in general is equipment that you upgrade. As you level up, you'll find, make, or buy mods, armorings, barrels, hilts, crystals, etc, and these can go into these adaptive/custom items.

You can have the same weapon from level 1-55 if you'd like, just changing out the parts.

PVP gear is something that only matters in the late game, because Expertise before then is not to common. You'll find that every MMO nowadays has PVP gear.

You can safely play only upgrading from quest rewards, not using any oranges, though you might be a little behind stats wise. Remember that every flashpoint has at least a few orange items that are pretty good.

Edit: as to why you didn't find a blaster pistol, you probably put in a stat (which breaks the GTN) or a rarity beyond Orange.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hakarne posted:

Yeah sorry, I forgot to ask my question after I got done writing my rant. I just wanted to know if it was a bad first impression or if that's pretty much the way the entire F2P model is. I said come in! seemed to divine my intentions without me asking the question, so thanks for the reply.

The credit limit is the only legitimately bad thing in my opinion. You can still play the game to 50 without paying pretty easily, just leveling about 10% slower than a subscriber.

As a subscriber though, I'm level 29 and just hitting Tattooine - a level 24-26 planet, so leveling slower is not that bad.\

Also it takes longer to get a mount? But I always forget I have one and run anyways, so that's not a big loss to me.

Edit 1: Also, as above, all credits above the limit go into 'Escrow', which you receive in full if you ever resub, and from which credits can be grabbed using "Escrow Withdrawal' grants that can normally be bought on the GTN for pretty cheap (a 50k withdrawal for 5k credits, etc)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

folgore posted:

How do the smuggler and agent stories compare to each other? I want to make a character of that archetype but can't decide on a faction. I'm leaning towards smuggler a little since I'm sick of hearing British accents after playing inquisitor.

Agent's story and Smuggler's story are way different from what I've played (which is only Chapter 1) of each.

Agent's are all about being an... Agent. As one of their lines says, "We're the first ones in for info, and the last ones out for cleanup." You're basically a whipping boy to a Darth, but are the most competent person in the Empire. It highlights the issue of having 'be a sith who's strong' be the way you get political clout in the Empire.

The Smuggler meanwhile gets his car jacked, and goes to hunt this guy down, then goes off to make himself rich and be awesome and stuff. He does some neat things, but it's sort of close to the Knight story in that it's more about 'you' then it is about the world.

I'd say the closest fit to the Agent story is the Consular story actually - it shows a lot of interesting facts on the Republic/Jedi, and is all about helping it become a better place, similar to the Agent.

Also, Agents get better companions.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, apparently people are getting suspensions for sticking CM +41 stat crystals into legacy gear to send off to alts on their legacy, due to the fact that it bypasses the Collections system and allows them to start making infinite on every character without paying the Cartel Coin cost for unlocking the collection for their account.

Might want to avoid doing that, guys.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Why the hell would they start suspending people over using legacy gear? That's what it's for, jesus christ. Yes, I get that they're annoyed that there's a workaround for ONE item in the collections system, but it's using in game items with no shady business whatsoever.

They aren't suspending people over using Legacy Gear for other things. They're suspending people over using Legacy Gear to subvert the collections system cost to fully equip every alt and companion in the crystals without paying the fee.

Basically: Do not send legacy gear with Cartel Market items inside it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Maybe they should have thought to patch that or give a warning rather than outright suspending people for doing something in-game that isn't restricted at all?

Maybe they should have. But it's happening so hey, don't do it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Aphrodite posted:

The cost depends on the crystal mod. 60 is for Endurance.

Yeah, according to the SWTOR forums at least one of them costs 600CC to unlock for your whole legacy.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crindee posted:

It should also be noted that it's not a bad idea to make your first character a boring ol' human anyway, since unlocking them gives you +100 Presence for all characters. It's not a big deal, since I'm sure you can just buy a human species unlock off the AH for a fairly reasonable amount of credits (though I don't see one up there right now, at least on my server), but completing a human character's storyline will unlock it for free.

Uh, I think Human is the only species who's unlock isn't available through the Cartel Market, and thus through the Grand Trade Network.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Red Crown posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sith Warrior story - it's just that it's a much slower burning tale than the Trooper, which is basically a Tom Clancy novel starring FemShep, so I call it more "fun".

I really need to get it together and stick to one character to 50, right? You get a lot of leveling bonuses for your alts if you stick it through?

Not a 'lot' really. You get a legacy move which range from great (Sith Warrior) to terrible (Trooper) to be used during your Heroic Moment, and 10 presence for each companion whose affection is maxed and has had every conversation finished.

50 presence is nice though - I have a Trooper and Warrior at max, and 100 presence lets me pretty much forget to equip my companions without much worry.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WarLocke posted:

He was talking about the special legacy move unlocks (Warrior gives Force Choke, Trooper is a grenade or something?) not the storyline, but I agree that femtrooper is best simply because of Hale's VA.

Yeah, exactly this. The Warriors give Force Choke which at level 23 does 500 damage a tick and does 4 ticks of damage, while also stunning for the duration. Troopers give Sticky Grenade, which takes 5 seconds to go off, and does the same exact amount of damage as a single tick of Force Choke, with no stun.

The trooper legacy move is terrible.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think the Agent one is an orbital bombardment? That instantly makes it the coolest.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, I just met probably the dumbest pubbie in existence.

Group finder at level 36 for a FP, and hey, it pops after 20 minutes. Our tank is level 35 Assassin, who says he just respecced to tanking and it will be his first time. We say it's fine, and we'll go slowly.

The first group of mobs kill him. Not bosses or anything, just normal mobs. He makes an excuse so we move on.

As we get to the first boss, he's already died 4-5 times, so I finally look at his equipment. Every item besides his lightsaber and helmet were level 10 greens - literally the same ones as you get as quest rewards on Korriban.

So I asked why the hell he hasn't upgraded in 25 levels, and he says it's because he can't do anything besides PVP because his gear sucks, and starts bitching about how this game is terrible for not letting him get any gear that's any good.

:wtc: pubbies.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I've got enough spare creds now I think I'm gonna buy a species of the GTN. I've only been playing for a few weeks so I don't have any unlocked yet.

The correct answer is to roll a Sith Jedi and piss of RPers, right?

No, make it a non-force sensitive character on either side. Sith Trooper/Sith Agent are the best.

RPers will get mad over you not having force powers, since apparently every Sith Pureblood has them, in the eyes of the RPers.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I was just doing PVP, and there was a level 54 operative who kept following me around (8 out of 9 of my deaths were from her) who was able to get me down to as little as 20% HP before even unstealthing on my screen. Is that normal, or just the infamous PVP lag everyone on their forums complains about?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ossipago posted:

Clone Wars? This is a long time off though, unless I missed something.

It's 3600 or so years, which yeah, is more than enough time for anything the Imperials did to be reversed completely.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

For favorite planets, I have to say nearly every one is Republic side, but I enjoy Empire Side Balmorra, mostly because there's no Sith Lord asking you to do incredibly stupid things, and the one who shows up for the final quests/the bonus series actually has a plan that's not retarded.

That's probably my big complaint about most of the planet stories Imp side - the quest givers tend to be Sith Lords who ask you to do dumb things and get dumb results. Just once I'd like a Sith Lord who's 'light side', and isn't a cackling screechy dummy.

That said, Tattooine's pretty good too, because the Reclamation Service isn't really a Sith Lord.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WarLocke posted:

I think my favorite example of really stupid Imperial questgivers was the guy on Balmorra who kept losing troops to Colicoids. His plan? Give you the chopped-up remains of his troops, which had been laced with poison, so you can dump the pieces in Colicoid feasting mounds and as they died from eating poisoned people meat they would learn to avoid people.

:psyduck:

I had actually forgotten about that one. I guess Balmora has as much stupidity as elsewhere.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a decent place to just browse/buy a bunch of upgradeable sniper rifles somewhere? And am I right in thinking that the only difference in all the upgrade-capable sniper rifles is the appearance?

Also, as a f2p, if I switch my crew skill, do I lose all the ranks in it? Like, say I get Underworld Trading to x level, switch to armortech or whatever, then rebuy underworld trading, will I keep my UT rank?

There is no difference besides appearance for different upgradable weapons.

If you switch your crewskill, you lose all progress you made.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Laowai posted:

Man I am pretty. Bout to buy this guy a pleasure skiff.

Is diplomacy worth taking alongside bio crafting/gathering? I've got slicing at the moment.

Sort of. Diplomacy is what gives you all your blue/purple mats. So unless you want to buy everything off the GTN for insanely high prices, yeah. Alternatively, Slicing on any of the Daily areas gives like 3k a node anyways.

I'd go with diplomacy though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Haven't been able to play recently, but I've found on my Sniper that just using Kaliyo, since I always have her fully geared for her level, we can kick tanks and handle it just fine. It's a little harder than with a dedicated tank person, but it's better than the DPS shadow who just queued tank to get in faster.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Givin posted:

I leveled as a healing ops and it was painful as gently caress. But honestly it was probably my own fault more than anything. It was my first character and I expected the companions to be a little bit more beefy than they were. I also felt like ops didn't really get enough offensive tools fast enough as you level. It felt as if it was an awkward mix of ranged then melee skills, with none of the core abilities coming into play until my late 30s. I bet you would do fine plowing through Flashpoints now with group finder tho. I keep telling myself it will be baller to level all over again and do just that but it seems like a waste for me with one sitting at 50 that I don't even play.

Compared to Release/Beta, companions suck. At least on your first character, you can expect them to die more often than not. It's annoying, and I hated my first character and hated companions on it.

Once you get a good 100-200 presence they're pretty good, and one of the people in the guild I'm in has every class at 50 and the human buff, 500 presence total, and while leveling with him on a new character, the companion could basically solo same level heroic mobs groups.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

hobbesmaster posted:

Nope. It's pretty clear when she's picked up she's supposed to have some sort of DS story or something but I think it must have been cut at some point late in production.

:eng101: Companions were supposed to have multiple stories to go through. Vette was supposed to have her normal Light Side story and a Dark Side one where constant zapping would lead her to being less willful, and more of a violent character. The lines for this have been dug up, and confirmed by Devs! Only other confirmed characters for different stories (That I recall) are Mako (dark side becomes addicted to revenge/violence) and Ashara (becomes more like Dark Side Jaesa.).

The other ones are more questionable on what the stories would be, but I'd assume most companions that weren't gotten on like Hoth would have them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

hobbesmaster posted:

Jaesa has multiple story quests, Ashara wouldn't have hurt! Except I guess she doesn't have much of a character anyways... :/

The issue wasn't about who had character and who didn't - the SW was one of the first two classes (along with the Jedi Knight) to be created, story wise, thus why Jaesa has the full 'light or dark companion' thing, and why Vette has the beginnings to her alternate storyline still in the game. Bioware was, once again, too ambitious, and what I assume was the massively growing costs of the VA's encouraged them to cut the companions down to a single story.

So now you get things like Mako being fine with romancing someone who murders innocents for laughs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, I've found the one bonus to being addicted to an MMO instead of some other game - I can install it anywhere and play my 'saves', even when I'm spending a few days at a friends house.

Loving my Agent still. Taris continues to be my favorite planet just for showing up Thana at every point in the planet quest. Even better since this is my first male character (I didn't know Vector was so cool - my guild said he was terrible and boring and 'literally worse than the cat', so I remade my agent to male) and I can flirt with her. Every time he flirts he sounds so smug.

"Oh, you sent me a gift of hostile droids? How about we get dinner after I blow them up :smugdog:"

I want to make a smuggler next, but I've yet to play a Inquisitor/Consular, and feel like I should probably collect all the buffs before playing the mirrors. Something about shotgunning people in the back though..

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Warmachine posted:

Impside Taris is probably my favorite planet outside of Makeb, and only because Thana provides endless entertainment. I could probably play an entire game of The Misadventures of Cipher 9 and Thana Vesh.

As for who you should do next, it's my personal opinion that the shotgun to the back and wild west gun-slinging motifs of the Smuggler just don't 'work.' I could never get used to the idea of pulling a giant shotgun from my pants or sitting behind cover with dual pistols. I'd go for the Inquisitor (being that that is one of the three stories I haven't done yet). Consular takes a bit of time to get going, but Act 2 and 3 are both fairly solid (Act 2 more than 3).

If you can't get behind pulling shotguns out of your pants, I have to say that what we both enjoy is likely vastly different. Because I loving love the idea of just pulling a shotgun out of nowhere.

I'm more likely to go Consular than Inquisitor if I go for one of them, mostly because then I wont be playing through the same content I did for the past few weeks on my Agent.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Catsworth posted:

You can play all of them pretty neutral or even light-side if you want. Bounty Hunter is probably the most "True Neutral" possible but there is entertainment to be had in baffling Jedi by not killing them as a Sith Warrior.

That was my favorite part of the Sith Warrior. "You've bested me, Sith. Take my life, but you'll never beat the light side." "I wasn't going to kill you in the first place, stupid old man! Let me talk next time!" "...What?"

And with Jaesa's parents when she shows up "What have you done to my parents!?" "I gave them a nice happy life, being servants to a much better empire. They are well taken care of, and much better off than before. :smugdog:" "I... I can feel their happiness, but it must be a trick!"

gently caress every other bit of story, nothing is as satisfying as having every Jedi expect you to do something terrible, and then proving their pompous asses wrong.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The best part is when you can pick an option like 'I don't want to hurt anyone, but I'll help' and then it gives you a bonus mission to kill 20 people and you just feel compelled to do it because numbers.

My characters all look like complete liars if you look at that. I always do bonus missions. Which means lots of people die.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I despise Kaliyo. She is literally my least favorite companion, and I wish I could shove her out an air lock.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

They aren't. Chest armor hoods are always up, and besides dyes, toggling hoods was/is probably the most requested thing cosmetic wise.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Thumbtacks posted:

So what's the best way to make money? Preferably with little effort. I'm poor as poo poo and it's sad.

Doing the dalies on Ilum/BlackHole/SectorX (including the heroics) can net you about 280k credits. Add in the weekly, and once a week it raises to about 350k credits.

Not sure how much it becomes if you do Makeb's dailies/weeklies as well. But those three are particularly easy - I could solo the Black Hole heroic 4 by the time I had myself in full basic and Forex was in 3~ or so pieces, as a healer specced commando. Took awhile to do each fight, but I could do it!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There is currently an animation bug/exploit (or at least something that the Fleet PVP chat says is one of those two) that Operatives, and likely their Republic counterpart, can take advantage of in PVP, where you can get off a good 3-4 attack abilities before unstealthing. I'm not certain how it's done, but there are videos on youtube and the like.

It makes killing healers very easy, especially squishy sages, as they can be killed before your stealth drops. I've only seen people level 50+ actually use it, so it may rely on something high in their talent trees.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Baalfrog posted:

I am kinda intriqued by this... I suspect it will be harder ,or impossible even, to perform on scoundrels, since he reches his back and spins the shotgun around like a space-cowboy and then fires and then puts it back there. Compare that to the Oppy who just tosses the knife and thats it.

Well, it's less about animation speed, and more about the fact that you can get 3 attacks in due to the global cooldown. I'd assume it'd be pretty much equal, but I could be wrong. I know I hate facing Operatives though, and it made me quit doing PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If I buy the golden scalene armor from the CM, and then unlock it in my legacy, is there any limit as to how many I can have? Because I'd have fun dressing every companion up in it.

• Locked thread