Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

What's the best class to just faceroll my way to the level cap? I love the class storylines but with a Juggernaut at 26 and a Sniper at 41 (and that Sniper has been at 41 since not long after launch) I am really, really, really bad at reaching level cap in MMOs.

Mercenary / Commando, DPS (middle tree). You get your healer companion very early, you wear heavy armor, and you can wail on stuff at range. Good mix of AOE and single-target damage, pretty simple rotation. A few heals if poo poo goes haywire. It's not the most powerful class overall but it's definitely the smoothest leveling experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

WarLocke posted:

I thought this was neat, someone found/made hi-res renders of all the (standard) lightsaber hilts in the game:

http://imgur.com/5G9JJ

Now I have to find one in-game that matches the seventh one in the top row. :neckbeard:

That is really cool. The good news for you is that the one you want isn't too hard to find on the GTN. There might be alignment restrictions to worry about, but there might also be more than one saber that uses that model. My sentinel used a pair of those for a while.

A lot of them are available from the PVP weapons vendor on the fleet. A couple of my favorites are the third and fifth in the middle row. One has an extra-long handle which makes my guardian look like a samurai, and the other looks like it's made of wood - plus Orgus Din uses it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Empire in the movies were largely inspired by the Nazis, and things like blowing up Alderaan and exterminating the Jedi could be seen as pretty blatant Holocaust allegories. Star Wars was never afraid to shy away from the "dark side" of human nature, it's kinda what it's all about.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rascyc posted:

Question: when do reputations/dailies come up? I see the daily vendors in the areas I'm at now, but no dailies associated with them. Do these open up when you hit 50, or start doing Mekab? Is there anything before then?

You can do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis starting at level 47. The one-time planet arcs in those areas don't unlock until 50, but the repeatable quests open up at 47 and give a shitload of XP. Absolutely the fastest way to level from 47 to 50 is to do those quests. You might want to bring a friend, though.

I think I recall that you can start Makeb around that time too, but the intro quest will spoil the ending of your class story so tread carefully!

I'm not sure what level you can start doing Voss heroics for rep but I'd guess 45-ish. If you have a group, that's another source of fast XP too. It's a bit out of the way, so you should probably check the Voss reputation vendor to see if you actually want their poo poo before getting into it.

Black Hole, Section X and heroic space dailies all require level 50.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Atlas Moth posted:

So apparently there is no way to restart planet storylines once you abandon them. Having just gotten to and and hosed around a bit in Alderaan, I felt that I'd rather start fresh on the planet when I get back home next week and therefore abandoned my missions, but lo and behold... the dude on the orbital station is now mute since the inability to restart planet storylines is supposedly a brilliant design decision that will render the entire chain unavailable for eternity once you abandon them.

Ugh, the whole power struggle thing is like a perfect fit for my sith inquisitor too. :cripes:

Abandoning it might not have set you back to the beginning of the entire quest chain. Try poking around the planet wherever you had previously hosed around a bit, there's most likely somebody you can talk to and pick it up in the middle.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

boy do I hate cover

Cover is super irritating in the early levels, but ignore that. Here are the secrets of the advanced class:

1. You instantly get a passive called "cover screen" which lets you take cover without paying attention to terrain at all. There's no cooldown so if you need to get up and run around, there's nothing stopping you.

2. You can take the "take cover" thing off your bar and replace it with "crouch" which does the exact same thing but without the glitchy mechanic that auto-rolls you into awkward places. Just drop into a crouch behind your little force field and start blasting. You can hide behind an actual rock if you feel like it but there is never much point.

3. If you keep using a tank companion forever you will pretty much never take damage, just sit behind your screen and pick the bad guys off one by one.

4. Turn off the separate cover bar right away because it's annoying to manage and you're pretty much only going to use poo poo that works from cover.

5. Gunslinger/Sniper loving rules and is one of the most fun classes in the game to play.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Royal Scrub posted:

I'm also wondering about the different story lines. Are there any class stories that kind of hit on a grey area between good and evil and put you on your own instead of being all about the cause and sucking up to people? Do they all get pretty good in general?

The Imperial Agent story is great and has a lot of room for deciding your own allegiances, but you are playing politics nonstop.

The Bounty Hunter story is probably the most neutral in terms of not really working for anybody's cause. You're totally out for yourself. It has kind of a Firefly vibe, and playing it neutral is pretty rewarding. Some people hate it and think it's boring, but I enjoyed it as kind of a break from all the good vs. evil stuff. I loved the Tatooine arc and the light side ending.

Chapter 1 of the Smuggler story is the best Chapter 1 in the game. It's straight gangster poo poo, but then it kinda goes off the rails and Chapter 2 is all about helping the Republic. The dark side ending is cool if you can suffer through the long boring stretch in the middle. I played through it light side too, and I do not recommend it.

The best class for being a huge jerk to absolutely everybody you meet is Sith Inquisitor.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

New "speedsuit" armor set + clever accessorizing = Japanese superhero team.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Crindee posted:

Oh, unrelated, but did I hear they fixed the "mail mods via BoL gear" loophole, and/or started punishing for it, or am I misremembering?

The short version is that no, it's officially OK to send mods to your alts via legacy gear. They said that's working as intended.

The long version is some people got suspended by accident over a related issue, and it caused some confusion. When the "collections" mechanic was first introduced, they forgot to strip away the vendor value of the color crystals, so people would just clone hundreds of crystals and vendor them for unlimited free money. That was considered an exploit, and people got in trouble for it. Unfortunately, when they were cracking down on the exploit, they searched for it by finding anybody who duplicated a large number of color crystals - including several people who only did it to gear out their companions, or their alts via legacy gear. Some of those people assumed they had been punished for what they were actually doing, not what they were suspected of doing, and the rumors spread. Shortly after, Bioware reversed the accidental suspensions, apologized, and said that it's perfectly fine to use legacy gear to send mods to your other characters, even "collection" color crystals.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yoshimo posted:

There's no Trooper Interrupt, is there? Despite what the OP says. The best we have is that AoE knockback, right? Concussion Charge?

That used to be true, but they got one around when the expansion came out, maybe earlier. The commando one is called "disabling shot" and the vanguard one is "riot strike." (It could be it was just commandos that didn't have it before; I don't remember because I hadn't played a vanguard/powertech until long after that change.)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

kmzh posted:

Yeah, Vanguards/PTs have always had interrupt, it's Commandos/Mercs who didn't for a long time (for no good goddamn reason).

Yeah. I loved my commando even when he was gimped all to hell, and I was :woop:ing like crazy when he finally got an interrupt.

I'm not sure if giving every class their interrupt at the same level (I think it's 19) is also a recent change, but it's pretty convenient.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

a slim spar posted:

This was specifically for me and like a couple dozen other people; the thread on the forums involved only like 7 of us but I assume there were more people out there. Yay I can play my main again

Anyway, I'm about to start a smuggler for the first time (female, because despite people bitching about her VA, I love Kath Soucie and her voice work). What's a better Smuggo storyline, dark side or light side? I sort of feel like her cute young-y voice might not work well with DS characters but I'm more interested in playing a cool story than in propriety or anything else.

I played through it to the end both ways, and I thought the dark side ending was a hell of a lot more fun. I agree that it's better to play kinda neutral though. I played my dark-side smuggler not as evil but as ruthlessly self-interested. I wouldn't go out of my way to hurt people, but if they got in my way, gently caress 'em. I'd also try to cut a deal with people instead of fighting them if I could get something out of it. The story was really cool that way. Also, I thought the female voice actor was great with all the rude / sarcastic dark-side dialogue.

Pro tip: For neutral characters, pick up diplomacy and you can farm alignment points and companion gifts at the same time!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

Where does that start? I checked Ilum at level 49, but the only flashpoint ones there were right by the entrance and had no story.

It starts on the fleet, and you have to be level 50 and I think done with your class story too. It's confusing because you only need to be 47 to do the dailies there.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

wtftastic posted:

I've done like 0 space missions ever- are they worth doing at all (in terms of exp rewards)? I'm trying to level my Merc and would like to do something I haven't done a poo poo load of in the past- right now I'm running FPs and WZs and doing some planetary content, but after like 3 characters to 55 I am bored of it.

I think a lot of people talk poo poo about space missions without really taking the time to get into them.

They actually give you a shitload of XP, because it's not just the amount that pops up when you finish the mission - you get XP during it for completing bonuses and shooting enemies. Every fighter or turret that you hit gives you a few points, not a ton but it adds up when you shoot 100 of them, and each bonus gives you about as much as the main quest does. I've leveled up in the middle of space missions a lot of times. At certain levels when new missions unlock you can sit down and do the new missions, unlock the new daily, do them again and it's like half a level of fast, easy XP. Also, space XP boosts go for peanuts on the GTN so you never have to be without them.

It's great when you feel underleveled for the quests you're doing, you can just take half an hour to do some space missions and level up for a quick power boost.

Gearing your ship is super easy too because you can just buy standard upgrades off the vendor on the fleet, do your dailies, then sell them back for a full refund if you want to. At level 50 you can buy a lot of the endgame grade 7 ones for fleet commendations, and the rest tend to be pretty cheap on the GTN. People just buy them in bulk off the cartel market and flip them for some quick credits.

Also, not ALL of the mid-level ones are repeats. There's no more than 2 versions of any one mission, and it can be fun trying to master the "hard mode" of one you're used to. Some of the later ones are really cool. The heroics are 100% original.

Of course, it's completely down to personal preference whether you think they're fun. I think they're fun, and it's a nice challenge trying to get the bonuses in the heroics. You just have to recognize that it's like an old-school arcade game, not a flight sim.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

BigDes posted:

I really should get onto unlocking HK-51

Also some guy called Whitepatriot was following me around asking for money today

I wish I was more imaginative so I could have messed with him instead of just telling to go away

You could always try the old trick where you open a trade window, type in some obscene amount of money, then don't hit trade... get up and make yourself a sandwich or something and see if they're still yelling at you to hit the button when you get back.

Unfortunately this doesn't work on free-players because they can't use trade.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

They were extremely unclear about this, but that note ONLY applies to people who ALREADY downloaded all or part of the new patch.

The problem, in my estimation, is that they immediately yanked the patch back off of the launcher or whatever, so now when people launch, if the game scans the client and finds foreign patch data from the mishap earlier today, it thinks the client is corrupt and wants to re-download it. If people who got hit with it just wait until tomorrow, the launcher will again recognize the new patch as something that's supposed to be there, and everything will be cool. If you never got hit with it, you can log in just fine today.

I decided to take one for the team and test this by launching the game. No patch, no issues. You're only screwed if you tried to log in during that window where the patch was on there. it's gone now.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nephthys posted:

I still recall when this was in development and their big revolutionary thing was Kotor-style lightsaber combat. Where the lightsabers match up their swings and they block their strikes and stuff. Cuz thats what people want from an mmo.

It was actually like that for a while in beta and it was kinda cool. I mean the animations looked great. The problem is that the characters had to be positioned perfectly for it to work, and how they solved that was by having your character sort of slide and lock into the right place when you activated a melee attack. For a lot of people, that small loss of control over their character's movement was a major frustration, and there were a lot of complaints. I can imagine that for characters who relied on precise positioning, especially in PVP, it would be a headache. So I think they made the right call, but it's kinda too bad that didn't work out. It was a neat idea.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

Wookie toss has gotten me killed more than anything corso's ever done.

Just turn off wookiee toss and he works great.

In general, people need to just disable a lot more companion abilities. It's an underused option. Like there's T7's harpoon thing where he loves to yank bad guys out of range of your attacks. There's all the AOE damage attacks that pull neutral mobs and break cc. And healers! Healers work best with almost everything turned off. That channeled stun thing they always spam just burns their energy and wastes their time when they should be using both to heal you. Their targeted AOE stink bomb heal is useless for solo play, and not even that great for groups because they're bad at hitting a moving target. And turn off all their offensive stuff. gently caress it. If they're healers, they should be healing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

corso physically cannot yank.

Poor guy. That explains why he's so desperate for the girl smuggler's affection.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

One of the weirder orange-gear snags I'm aware of has to do with shields.

This might have changed at some point so you don't have to take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure that moddable shields still come in two distinct varieties: their scaling base stats include either tech power or force power, and that's a fixed attribute. You get a significant power boost from your shield, so it's important to use the right kind. Last I checked, simply putting +strength or +willpower mods in a shield that came equipped with +aim mods does not switch its base stat from tech to force, or vice-versa. If you're playing a tank or using a tank companion, watch out. Read that fine print.

DPS characters don't need to worry because they are required to use either a "focus" (force) or "generator" (tech) and you can't equip the wrong one if you try. Ditto with vibroblades/staves (force) vs. techblades/staves (tech). If you ever wondered why these different items exist... that's why.

P.S. If you're on Republic side, moddable offhands seem to be a guaranteed drop from the bonus boss in Esseles. The droid that pops out if you hit those two switches at the same time. That's where I always get mine.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rookersh posted:

Sooo girlfriend wants to start playing. Thing is she'd want to RP, and play on an RP server.

We'd both be playing largely around 7pm-7amish Pacific. Would Begeran or Ebon Hawk be better? Hell, which one has more people doing stuff/less creeps?

I assume we could also 2man all the content?

If you guys don't mind playing on an RP-PVP server - as if there's really a difference in SWTOR - I'm still running an RP guild on Jung Ma. (Actually 3 guild spread across both factions, but who's counting?) Everybody's busy with real life poo poo these days so things are pretty quiet, but it's a very chill and decidedly non-creepy crew. You can scope us out at https://www.moe.enjin.com

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

McGann posted:

Hey now, finally another goon on Jung Ma! I thought I was the only one. I've never RP'd in SWTOR, but I used to do text based RP to work on my writing ability and wanted to keep my options open.

Is it a fairly active scene? I never see anyone doing it when I'm roaming about - but I'm also very anti social with my leveling.

Right now there seems to be an all-around lull in activity, RP included. I think the server has a great community but it's become a bit disorganized, partly from some shake-ups when the server transfers were offered. You're still sure to find people RPing in the cantina on Nar Shaddaa almost 24/7 but it's mostly the worst kind of idiots in there. I usually only go in if I need a laugh. Most good RP happens within guilds I guess. As far as I know the Jundland swoop race still happens every tuesday, but my guild sorta gave up on it because everybody is busy on tuesdays. If you poke around the official forums you can find out about events that might be happening.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I have some quick tips for people struggling with starfighter. This is not guaranteed win poo poo but it helped me get from dead last to somewhere in the middle of the leaderboards, which is a start.

1. I hosed with my UI and keybinds hardcore. UI is down to personal preference obviously but putting the missile lock indicator dead center in your screen and maximum size is a pretty idiot proof way to know when you're about to get wrecked and do something. Also the default movement keys are some bullshit. I set WASD to strafe and QE to roll and put accelerate/decelerate on some mouse buttons.

2. After messing with a few different upgrades, the real breakthrough was investing in turning thrusters instead of speed ones. If you can turn faster than the other guy you can win dogfights. Take that to the bank.

3. That 180 move is such a crapshoot, i switched to the barrel roll one that gives the same defensive bonus but just boosts you straight ahead. Easier to avoid suicide by asteroid, and easier to use offensively.

I just like the regular rear end strike fighter for right now. Good mix of offense and defense.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Fat Pink Robot

My plan with this guy is to PVP a lot and never talk to anybody.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

MadJackMcJack posted:

So these events repeat once a week each month correct? I won't be missing out permanently if I don't rush all my characters to Alderaan?

NO, that is only the bounty week event. The Gree one is every couple of months, and other ones don't rotate on a schedule. It's been like 2 years in between rakghoul events so definitely don't sleep on it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

ThreeSixXero posted:

Run the gently caress out of Esseles. If it's like Black Talon in the gear department, the bonus boss should drop the OH. You can use the Strength OH on a Shade/Sin if you switch out the mods because it gives Force power. The Vangaurd/PT one gives Tech power, and is useless to you in that department.

Run the gently caress out of it with a friend or you're completely screwed.

Orange shields / generators drop exclusively (or nearly so) from the BONUS boss in Esseles, but they are nearly a guaranteed drop from that boss. You need two people to get to the bonus boss - it's the robot that comes out if you hit two switches at opposite ends of the room simultaneously.

I used to grind Esseles for hours with my friends just to farm social points, and I've only ever seen shields drop from that one robot, and I can count on one hand the times the robot dropped anything else.

So you could solo grind Esseles for a year and not see a shield. Bring a friend one time and you should pretty much be set. Just watch out for the tech/force thing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, George said no underwear and no gays in space, so that's why things are the way they are.

As I recall the actual quote from a Lucas representative was something like "words like gay and lesbian don't exist in Star Wars," which was meant in the sense that the galaxy is too enlightened to put crass labels on people based on who they love... but it was widely interpreted as pretty much the opposite, that the actual sexual orientations don't exist. It was a communication error. Attributing a backwards attitude like that to a groovy San Francisco hippie liberal like George Lucas is completely absurd, but people love to blame him for every bad thing on earth.

The only reason that stuff wasn't in the game from the outset was lazy / cowardly design. Romances in SWTOR happen almost by default (My first character literally romanced a companion by accident, I picked one wrong answer and they started making out) and I guess they assumed it would weird people out if their space bro got touchy-feely as soon as their affection hit X number. The default romances are awkward and creepy enough, homophobic players probably would have legitimately pitched a fit. Bioware also would have needed to rewrite / re-record every line of companion dialogue that was too specific to a male/female romance or childbearing. I'm not saying these are awesome excuses, it's just that by the time these concerns were raised they were probably too far into development to want to go back and fix all that. Obviously the game had bigger problems to deal with at launch.

There was no anti-gay agenda, and Makeb did not represent a radical shift in Lucasfilm policy. There was only an embarrassing oversight on Bioware's part, which they quickly tried to make up for with the first game expansion. It was kind of a half-assed effort, but hopefully the future will bring some in-depth custom companions that have gender-neutral romance arcs.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I played through the smuggler story twice, and the dark side ending is way, way better. I think both the voice actors do a great job with the rude/sarcastic lines. You don't have to play it as pure evil, just be ruthlessly self-interested and you'll see all the best stuff.

I finally unsubscribed recently after getting every base class to 55 - some of them twice - and all but one AC, if you don't count mirrors. I finally felt like I'd seen it all. I still think this is pretty much the best MMO ever, but there comes a time when you gotta move on.

P.S. The best class is guardian / juggernaut.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I'm not sure if I should pick a sith inquisitor or a sith warrior, mostly due to not knowing how the stories in either class plays out. What can I expect from those stories and, by general consensus, are they considered any good?

Another thing you could consider about these stories is your overall role in it. Without spoiling too much, the Inquisitor is about personal power, building yourself up from nothing to be a leader, while the Warrior is more the "enforcer" archetype. That is, you're the scary henchman out there kicking rear end in somebody else's name. You can think of it in terms of the Emperor / Vader dynamic. Vader is the scariest motherfucker in the universe, but he's never actually in charge.

I played them back-to-back in quick succession and I actually thought the inquisitor was a little more fun. You get to ham it up and chew the scenery the entire time as the big villain of the story. The male voice actor is fantastic, but I hear they both are.

Absolutely go dark with the Inquisitor or light with the Warrior.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

While we're talking about other servers, is anyone on Jung Ma? I started on there because my friend was already established on that server. I have enough characters going that I don't really feel like transferring, but it'd be nice to have some more friends on there.

My guild and all my characters are still there but most of us are pretty much inactive at this point including me.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

What's lacking in weapons in this game?

More realistic? Less realistic? Do people want to see more nerfcannon or something you'd see in the movies, more based on WW2 weapons and whatnot?

What about the fancy bits like the holo displays and/or moving parts?

I ask because of reasons.

Oh man, I'm glad I glanced at this thread today. I have a major one for you: colors. I have a scoundrel whose gimmick has always been "wearing a ton of red," and even before the dye system it was always possible to put together a decent red outfit, but finding a gun that matched it was never easy.

That said, red is one of the more common colors to see on guns. If you've got somebody decked out in blue or green or purple armor, it becomes more difficult to color-coordinate. Not that everybody wants their guns to match their clothes all the time (I certainly don't do this with every character) but having that option would be great.

I realize you're probably asking more about the shape, and I'm personally a big fan of stuff that follows the movie aesthetic, the sort of bulky bolted-some-parts-on-a-WWII-gun look, without a lot of glowy bits. For example, I feel like the D-406 Marksman Interceptor is highly underrated, and my merc has been using those forever.

A weapon set that's got a nice classic design, and some variants of it with different color accents, would be very welcome.

Alternately, people really go nuts for accents that change color based on the crystal in it. Again, not so much the big holographic HUD's, more like LED's along the side and/or a laser sight. That way you could stick to basic black for the weapons themselves.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

That's more or less the direction I am going, more WWII and less nerfcannon, with color crystal indication and a bif of animation. Stay tuned. I'll see what can be done about colors and paint jobs though.

Thanks, and I meant to add that it's nice of you to ask, and that you & the team have been doing great work. A few friends and I just picked this game back up after a break of several months, and we've spent a lot of time admiring all the new gear.

I thought of another request, and this is kind of oddly specific and "out there" and I'm not gonna be mad if it's ignored... but I've got a commando who - for sentimental reasons - only uses guns with the words "plasma cannon" in the name. For the life of this game, that has left me with exactly two options. They're both cool-looking guns so it's worked out OK, but it's also ruled out some VERY attractive gear. If you happen to come out with a humdinger of an assault cannon design, and feel like putting a word in the ear of whoever decides these things, well, it would make one random internet dork pretty happy!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

To me though, that's part of the charm of Star Wars. It's NOT super futuristic, crazy space technology. The guns look like our guns, and the coolest weapon is a space lazer sword.

To me this is the most important thing about Star wars, the central theme. The story takes place in a dark age, a dystopia, it's like what would happen if society devolved into Mad Max long after it had peaked at Star Trek.

All of the technology is old, beat-up, cobbled together, repurposed. It's a universe where there are shady used robot salesmen, where your drat hologram is on the fritz, where nobody wants to buy your hovercar, where your spaceship that goes faster than light is a piece of poo poo, and where it's not even cool to own a lightsaber because they're so old-fashioned. Nobody in Star Wars gives a poo poo about technology. It's just background noise. Space travel is about as exciting to them as plumbing is to us. It looks like the future, but it's ancient history. Whatever utopia they had built has long since crumbled back into feudalism.

It's a lot like that viral video clip of Louis CK saying "everything is amazing and nobody is happy." Star Wars had the same message 30 years earlier. It takes an incredibly cynical (and cyclical) view of human nature. It says subjugation, intolerance, slavery, genocide, war, are going to follow us through the ages. The future, ancient history, gently caress it... same poo poo different millennium. No matter how cool our technology gets, people are still people, and we all have a dark side.

The Old Republic setting really makes the picture that much more grim, by suggesting that this cycle of war and destruction has been going on for thousands of years and might continue for thousands more.

So basically, this is why stuff in Star Wars shouldn't look shiny and pretty and futuristic. It would be a thematic mismatch. Star Wars is old, and dirty.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

This so much, I want to make you a special dirtgun that shoots grime and old at things.

Please, feel free. :)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Everything sucks more Republic side--PvP, KDY (and other Flashpoints), and endgame content.

I think it's because the dumbest and youngest players are all "I WANNA BE A JEDI! :downs:" Not to say I haven't met my fair share of dumb players Imp side, but in my experience, group content is MUCH more tolerable.

Maybe this is just because I'm on an RP server but my experience has been the polar opposite. The Empire players tend to have 100% of the whiny goth kids with a chip on their shoulder, and the Republic is just a bunch of chilled-out dads relaxing after work. You think "I wanna be a Jedi" attracts the worst people, but you forgot about "I wanna be an EVIL Jedi dressed in BLACK LEATHER!"

Also the Makeb story Empire-side is brutal compared to the Republic one. I never had a problem soloing boss fights Republic side but I struggled to two-man some of the Empire ones. Even the beginning of the story is drastically different, Republic side you just land at the main base and do your thing, Empire-side you have to spend half an hour fighting your way to the main base before you even get the taxi point. It's as if they were trying to punish people for the faction imbalance, like "good luck getting to 55 you bastards."

I'm stoked to see Omundson back in the studio. That can only mean good things.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

You mean this old thing?

I owe you thanks, for granting my oddly specific request to add a new "plasma cannon" to the game. My commando has been rocking that thing, and cruising around on a Vectron Magnus, and life is good.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

OzCavalier posted:

Oh I don't feel bad at all. I just wish there was an easier way of seeing which leg armor (or belts, wrists, feet, etc) go with which chestpiece (and the rest), and then which dye color combinations to really pull it all together....

The easiest way I've found is to open up the "collections" window where you can quickly look through almost every set of adaptive armor that exists (with good-sized thumbnail images), preview pieces on your own character in any combination you like, and then you leave your preview window open, search for dyes on the GTN and preview different color schemes.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm about as stoked for strongholds as I was for SWTOR in the first place. At first i thought, why do we need houses when we already have spaceships... but when the details came out I totally flipped.

I'm in this little guild that has a "swoop gang" theme and we're really looking forward to building a sleazy swoop garage somewhere. Probably Tatooine, so we can set up a race track outside. We're gonna build the grungiest underworld hangout we can, and then invite the outlaws and outcasts of both factions to congregate there. Like our own little Mos Eisley. I know a lot of you guys fuckin' hate roleplayers but you know what? This will be pretty great for us.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

wtftastic posted:

That sounds really cool actually, where are y'all based?

We're on Jung Ma. It's a tiny guild on a pretty quiet server but we have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Man if you don't care about Space Sims there is some money to be made in selling the drops from flash points. The Statue of the Emperor from False Emperor is going for 500k (and selling), and that flashpoint is easily soloable at 55 (SM), and the drop rate is pretty drat good. I've run it twice by myself and had the statue drop both times off the bonus boss, then ran it in group finder three more times and it dropped twice. Most of the stuff is going for similar amounts. The crystal from Ilum is up from 800k up right now, and that's a 20 minute run. Crazy.

Even if you do care, there is good money to be made just buying stuff dirt cheap from vendors and flipping it on the GTN. Hot sellers include the republic/imperial guardsmen (only 200 warzone commendations each) and the stronghold labels from the light/dark vendors (10k credits). It might be slightly dishonest, but only slightly, because some people might want a gang of guards but hate PVP, and those alignment titles are different republic/empire side. For example you actually need a Dark V character republic-side to get the "Temple of Darkness" label, and a lot of imperial players will want it.

I've also been trying to flip that dirt-cheap lounge arrangement - from the credits vendor that comes with your house - for many, many times its value, which is a total scam, but it will be so hilarious if anybody falls for it.

Edit: You could also try buying prefabs off the GTN and trading them for specific decorations, which often sell for much, much more. That's a gamble though, because prefabs can cost you.

I wouldn't even share these dark secrets, but you all play on a different server, so go nuts!

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 24, 2014

• Locked thread