Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Helical Nightmares posted:

Really glad you guys recommended this one. I didn't know who Jo Koy was but goddamn that dude has improv chops. I'm checking out his standup now.

I almost wonder if a live show with Adam Carolla could be considered a trial by fire for a comedian. If they can hold their own with Carolla overtalking them and running rants into the ground by grabbing his attention and constantly delivering on the funny then they deserve a medal or something.

Like an 'I survived a Carolla Live Podcast' t-shirt maybe.

This really is the truth. I respect anyone who is able to be funny on his show. Adam just has such a huge personality and presence that anyone who can keep up at all tends to be genuinely talented. I havent listened to the Jo Koy episode yet, but I am excited now.

EDIT - listened to the Jo Koy episode last night, it was as good as everyone said. Started getting nervous will Bill Oreilly came up, but everything stayed on track. I wish that Adam would do what Scott Aukerman does on Comedy Bang Bang where he pretty much just has a rotating cast of people he is funny with that just keep coming back. If hes not going to interview guests, why bother having them on? Episodes with people who fit into Adams style of comedy are so freaking good, its a shame they happen so infrequently.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

This really is the truth. I respect anyone who is able to be funny on his show. Adam just has such a huge personality and presence that anyone who can keep up at all tends to be genuinely talented. I havent listened to the Jo Koy episode yet, but I am excited now.

The occasional gripe I have with Adam is that he has had talented musicians, actors, and comics on that never get to say anything. There have been a few episodes in the last few months where I was genuinely interested in hearing from the guest, but instead Adam does all of the talking while the person I want to hear from barely gets to 'crack wise'. What makes it more painful is that Adam is telling a story he has already told on one of his other podcasts or already told on the ACS.

Obviously guests like Jo Koy and DAG can roll and it is always funny, but not everyone has a strong improv background.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Holy poo poo Bryan, stop butting into every conversation to needlessly bring up a movie. You're not "the movie guy", you're a loving moron and you're not funny. Jesus Christ does this bother anyone else as much as it does me? He does it at least twice an episode. Adam is trying to be funny and Bryan has to butt in and "The French are nuts too, have you seen Irreversible?". Nobody laughs, nobody agrees with him, awkwardly move on. His reference doesn't even make sense and only goes to show that he really doesn't get movies since Irreversible isn't a "nuts" movie and doesn't portray the french specifically as being weird or depraved. He doesn't even understand its meaning, but he has to bring it up for some kind of foreign movie geek cred. Also stop with the "boom" during the news theme, nobody laughs at it, it's old, shut up. If Bryan left the show it would install become 100 times better, he's the only thing keeping me from fully enjoying the show.

Ez fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 17, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hell yeah, Alison tweeted a picture of Larry Miller in the studio with them. Pretty stoked.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Really glad you guys recommended this one. I didn't know who Jo Koy was but goddamn that dude has improv chops. I'm checking out his standup now.

I almost wonder if a live show with Adam Carolla could be considered a trial by fire for a comedian. If they can hold their own with Carolla overtalking them and running rants into the ground by grabbing his attention and constantly delivering on the funny then they deserve a medal or something.

Like an 'I survived a Carolla Live Podcast' t-shirt maybe.

What does that say about Frank Caliendo? He said almost nothing. Even when prompted by Adam, he was pretty brief.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Red posted:

What does that say about Frank Caliendo? He said almost nothing. Even when prompted by Adam, he was pretty brief.
Caliendo just isn't very quick on his feet. He does a ton of impressions really well, but it seems he needs prepared material to really shine. I've heard him do other types of radio before and he's just not that funny on the fly. You can hear him fall back onto John Madden a lot when he doesn't know what to say.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Red posted:

Didn't Frank Caliendo have a show in Vegas fail spectacularly? This is a city where Carrot Top routinely plays to sold out crowds and people still pay to see Rita Rudner.
Even on morning radio shows where the host very deliberately set comedians up so they can go into bits the guy flounders. The guy is talented impersonator he just needs to hire better writers or take some improv classes.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.
Anybody else happen to catch Dr. drews podcast with Adams wife today? I skipped through the Jodi Arias stuff because I could give less than a poo poo, but when they start talking about Adams home life at about 24 minutes in.. Hooo boy I kinda feel bad for Lynette.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Binton posted:

Anybody else happen to catch Dr. drews podcast with Adams wife today? I skipped through the Jodi Arias stuff because I could give less than a poo poo, but when they start talking about Adams home life at about 24 minutes in.. Hooo boy I kinda feel bad for Lynette.
Hah Drew finally did a show with her? He'd been threatening Adam with that for a while. I'll make sure to check it out.

I haven't listened to the Dr. Drew or Adam and Drew shows much lately. On one of the latest Adam and Drew shows they have Adam's kids on at the beginning, that was pretty cute.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I did listen to that. I could swear, hearing Lynette talk about Adam was like hearing my mom talk about my dad. It was eerie.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm listening to the Larry Miller episode now and the Hypothetical Road Trip Game is so heartwarming :)

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Boinks posted:

I'm listening to the Larry Miller episode now and the Hypothetical Road Trip Game is so heartwarming :)

That was such a good episode it was great to hear Larry laugh again.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Binton posted:

And then drew chalked up adam's communication issues to “gender differences” or some bullshit while in the same breath pointing out the issues Adam has with relating to people. Drew really seems to be codependent to the extent that he can't have a realistic view of anyone close to him, much less Adam.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Binton posted:

I didnt listen to this yet but I heard Lynette on Alisons podcast awhile back and it was.... sad. Alison was asking her about how they met and the beginning of their relationship and Lynette seemed so happy and excited about all of the nice things that Adam had done. And then she finished off the story by saying something along the lines of "but its not really like that anymore...".

I mean, no ones relationship is the same after many years as it was in the beginning but I suspect there has been a much bigger swing with Adam and Lynette than most. He sounded amazing in the beginning and now... not so much.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'll frankly be shocked if Adam and Lynette never get a divorce.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Beeez posted:

I'll frankly be shocked if Adam and Lynette never get a divorce.

Actually I'd be pretty shocked if they ever did. They both seem like pretty traditional people, at least she does and he just seems to want the opposite of whatever the gently caress he had in his childhood which would be staying together regardles.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah Drew finally did a show with her? He'd been threatening Adam with that for a while. I'll make sure to check it out.

I haven't listened to the Dr. Drew or Adam and Drew shows much lately. On one of the latest Adam and Drew shows they have Adam's kids on at the beginning, that was pretty cute.

In case you might be like me, and looked under Adam and Drew's show: This podcast is under Drew's individual show, not the Adam/Drew show.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

visuvius posted:

Actually I'd be pretty shocked if they ever did. They both seem like pretty traditional people, at least she does and he just seems to want the opposite of whatever the gently caress he had in his childhood which would be staying together regardles.

But could you even imagine the alimony fueled rants?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Lynette plays up the negatives a bit on the podcasts. It's part of their schtick. I might be in the minority, but I see them being together for a long time. Adam seems to really care about her and isn't the kind of guy who throws it away for a fling. He's also family oriented and seems to give in to Lynette a lot. I'm sure he's not as romantic as he once way, but you'd be hard pressed to find couples who've been together that long that are.

Looking forward to the Drew and Doug Stanhope interview. For those who haven't heard Stanhope's bit on it, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIV7e5LJms

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lynette is, to be kind, an absolute disaster in front of a microphone. She has an annoying voice, she constantly coughs and clears her throat, and says 'right' after EVERY sentence the other person says.

I know why she got her own podcast, but... who is listening to it?

Red fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 21, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm listening to the Steve Austin episode and I'm pretty surprised at just how well he does his PSAs on the fly.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

SouthLAnd posted:

I'm listening to the Steve Austin episode and I'm pretty surprised at just how well he does his PSAs on the fly.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how affable and funny Wild's son is, maybe it's cuz I'm getting older but I always expect 13 year olds, especially boys, to be brooding and distracted dolts.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Red posted:

Lynette is, to be kind, an absolute disaster in front of a microphone. She has an annoying voice, she constantly coughs and clears her throat, and says 'right' after sentence the other person says.

I know why she got her own podcast, but... who is listening to it?

I assume there's a certain subset of people who like that she's so unpolished. People can relate to her, minus the being very wealthy part. Also, I doubt Adam would have any problem axing her show if it was unprofitable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

NewtGoongrich posted:

I assume there's a certain subset of people who like that she's so unpolished. People can relate to her, minus the being very wealthy part. Also, I doubt Adam would have any problem axing her show if it was unprofitable.

Just from hearing her on Dr. Drew, it's clear she loves having her own show, and likes the idea of being the center of attention.

If Adam canceled her show, he'd be sleeping in a separate bedroom.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I listened to her show regularly a few years back - I remember it being not terrible. Details escape me, but basically she spent her time talking about her kids and giving a second perspective on Adam's family based rants. I am a parent of twins so maybe that is why I thought her children centric shows were tolerable, though!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Red posted:

If Adam canceled her show, he'd be sleeping in a separate bedroom.

Judging from his conversation with Mark Garigos last week he might like that.

Speaking of Garigos, I'm glad he's a regular now, he's a really smart and funny guy, but oh my god Dawson's "intro" is loving terrible. They must have spent a total of 2 minutes on that one. It makes "Baldywood" sound like Sinatra.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adam will never go for it, but I'd love for Lynette to go on the Adam & Drew Show. I think it'd be a fascinating episode with Drew trying to mediate. I'd also love to hear Adam's Mom or Dad do Drew's show by themselves. Drew always teases getting these people on for shows and never follows through. It'd make for an amazing podcast.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I can't believe how much better the show was without Bryan today. It was so refreshing to not hear lovely drops constantly and him chiming in every 5 seconds with an unfunny joke, stifling his own laughter as he says it. It was a brave sacrifice his father-in-law made so we can have a break from him.

Posehn didn't seem like he was too interested in being there, he didn't participate much. He's so funny, it's a shame.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ez posted:

I can't believe how much better the show was without Bryan today. It was so refreshing to not hear lovely drops constantly and him chiming in every 5 seconds with an unfunny joke, stifling his own laughter as he says it. It was a brave sacrifice his father-in-law made so we can have a break from him.

Posehn didn't seem like he was too interested in being there, he didn't participate much. He's so funny, it's a shame.

He was pretty light on last Thursday's Comedy Bang Bang too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I've always just thought that's how Posehn was in general, he's a pretty laid back guy. This dates way back to one of the first radio things I heard him on, when he did Loveline with Patton Oswalt (they were touring together).

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I hate saying this because I like Brian Posehn, but he's not a very good comedian, and a pretty bad actor. I like him personally, at least as much as you can with someone you don't know in real life, and he seems like a really cool guy and a good buddy, which is probably why he's got a career in the first place.

I like his cover of The Gambler, though, and he was funny on Mr. Show. :(

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ez posted:

I don't even think he does many drops these days. He talks a lot more since he started doing his movie reviews.

The show is dramatically better without him. Alison can get a word in and she actually works well with Adam when Bryan isn't bringing the show to a halt constantly. I guess Adam still feels sorry for him, but it's really uncomfortable when Adam gets rolling and Bryan chimes in with something unfunny and Adam has to sort of fake chuckle and move on.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

I hate saying this because I like Brian Posehn, but he's not a very good comedian, and a pretty bad actor. I like him personally, at least as much as you can with someone you don't know in real life, and he seems like a really cool guy and a good buddy, which is probably why he's got a career in the first place.

I like his cover of The Gambler, though, and he was funny on Mr. Show. :(

I like Posehn and I think he is a decent stand up. He doesnt do broad comedy though and I think you have to 'get' metal and random nerdy stuff to appreciate his comedy. He doesnt click with me all that well, but I appreciate what he does. His stuff is just pretty specific, even in the world of alt-comedy.

I do agree with the notion that he tends to not be great on podcasts and stuff. He does work best with his written material. I thought he was pretty good on the Sarah Silverman Program too.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

His writing on Deadpool is pretty good.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

The two episodes of Loveline he did with Patton Oswalt were the 2 funniest episodes in the show's history IMO

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ez posted:

The two episodes of Loveline he did with Patton Oswalt were the 2 funniest episodes in the show's history IMO

Two hot, young comedians making the LA scene.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Brian's appearance on WTF was solid, he really opened up. And was funny in the process.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Carolla's upcoming crowdsourced movie "Road Hard"'s funding campaign is now up on... FundAnything.com? I'd never heard of this until now and was wondering why he went with this over the obvious choices like Kickstarter, until I looked up Fundanything:

quote:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/donald-trumps-fundanything-hires-producer-brad-wyman-aims-to-celebritize-crowdfunding/

FundAnything, backed by Donald Trump and founded by Bill Zanker, has been on the crowdsourcing scene for a month now but aims to set itself apart from IndieGoGo and Kickstarter with the power of celebrity.

:raise: So that's why, it looks like Carolla's movie may be a sort of test run for this new thing.

$10 is the lowest level, for a copy of the screenplay and some kind of website access. $4,000 to be an extra, $10,000 for a speaking role! This sounded like a really terrible idea, but as is usually the case for these things, the barrier to entry is high enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

e:

quote:

$110
**Early Bird Special** Private Pre-Screening with Me and the Cast - Portland / Los Angeles / Seattle
- See more at: [url]http://fundanything.com/adamcarolla#sthash.ZyzN0USK.dpuf

98 left of 100 available [/url]
That's actually pretty cool, I can see that going really fast. As the cheapest person in the world who lives too far away I'm not interested, but if anyone here is a big fan and is nearby that'd probably be worth jumping on.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 3, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I have no interest in this thing, I'm sure it'll just be another story modelled after his life where he tells the same jokes we hear on the podcast every day. I liked The Hammer but that was made back when he put a little effort into his comedy and even it had a lot of recycled Loveline material in it. He mentioned before he wanted to do a documentary on Paul Newman's racing career, now that's something I'd like to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Well the overall premise sounds interesting, comedian(s) who was(were) famous in the 80s and 90s and got big development deals which have since fallen through have to go back out on the road for a living. But who knows, we'll find out. I'm sure the screenplay will hit the internet as soon as it goes out to the backers so we probably won't have to wait long to get an idea.