Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
The recent run of Dr. Drew Podcasts with Jennie Ketcham, Tom Sizemore, and Mike Catherwood is some really good listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I rarely listen to the main podcast anymore because when I do I end up skipping huge chunks of it, but I recently started listending to the Drew show and was surprised at how good it is. I have been cherry picking episodes that sound good (Steve-O was great, so was Jim Jeffries and Ray) and the best way I can describe it is it's Drew at his best / smartest combined with a few decades of experience hosting and interviewing.

Basically its like Drew has taken his intelligence and combined it with old Carollas hosting skills to become a master host hybrid.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Keystoned posted:

Basically its like Drew has taken his intelligence and combined it with old Carollas hosting skills to become a master host hybrid.

That sums it up nicely.

I'm so loving happy for Steve-O. Does that sound stupid? I don't even know the guy.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

ChaosMonkey posted:

That sums it up nicely.

I'm so loving happy for Steve-O. Does that sound stupid? I don't even know the guy.

There are far stupider things than being happy that a fellow human being is doing better and seems to have escaped dying of addiction.

It would be far stupider to call someone out for caring.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You've been listening to too much Adam if you think basic human compassion is something stupid.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
haha. Haven't listened to the main show since the Jo Koy ep and before that it was, uh... no idea. It's mostly Drew's show for me now. Though I feel like I need to get back into Larry Miller's.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I think the adam and bruce episodes on the Adam and Drew show are up now. I think Bruce finally struck a cord on the latest one but just couldn't follow up with it.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I thought Bruce made some good points even though Adam blew them off. The whole thing about the driveway and Adam knowing they'd never followup was spot-on in my opinion.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just a head's up, the most recent Adam & Dr. Drew is 45 minutes of Adam arguing that racism is dead in America, that blacks need to shut up about it and get to bootstrapping. Not that that should surprise anybody here.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

beep by grandpa posted:

Just a head's up, the most recent Adam & Dr. Drew is 45 minutes of Adam arguing that racism is dead in America, that blacks need to shut up about it and get to bootstrapping. Not that that should surprise anybody here.
Yeah he kind of went on the same awkward rant yesterday during the Jo Koy podcast. At least everybody disagreed with him.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I think I get Adam's retarded point? Someone run this by me. Basically racism is a constant that can't be fixed, so we should all just accept that and bootstrap your way to success?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Veskit posted:

I think I get Adam's retarded point? Someone run this by me. Basically racism is a constant that can't be fixed, so we should all just accept that and bootstrap your way to success?

No you've got it all wrong. We just need to start a dialogue.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I liked how Adam accused Drew of being a pussy and not expressing his true opinions on his show and instead he just nods and agrees with his guest, but Drew nods and agrees with Adam on their show but of course Adam has no problem with that.

:psyduck:

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 19, 2013

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Veskit posted:

I thought it was that before we worry about fixing it, we have to first fix the problem we're trying to fix???

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm really getting sick of Adam making GBS threads on everyone who doesn't own a home. The way he talks about us wretched renting cretins I think if it were up to him landowners would still be the only ones allowed to vote.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm really getting sick of Adam making GBS threads on everyone who doesn't own a home. The way he talks about us wretched renting cretins I think if it were up to him landowners would still be the only ones allowed to vote.

Sounds good to me. :clint:

You are completely missing the point he is trying to make with that. He isn't trying to poo poo on you or Ray or anyone else. He is trying to motivate people to get out there and make something out of themselves. Obtain something. Own something. I bought my first house 2.5 years ago, and it is one of the best things I've ever done. Its nice seeing that equity (slowly) grow.

Sounds like it is working if it bothers you.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why does Adam think it's good radio/pod to have them watch a video that none of us can see? The Cranston video isn't terrible because a lot of us have seen it, but it's bizarre when he plays videos of his races for the people in the studio. It's 10 minutes of them watching a video with almost no sound and pointing out things on the video none of us can see.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 22, 2013

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yet another example of how Adam and Drew have swapped everything in the past decade. Bad radio used to be Drew's specialty, damnit!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

Why does Adam think it's good radio/pod to have them watch a video that none of us can see? The Cranston video isn't terrible because a lot of us have seen it, but it's bizarre when he plays videos of his races for the people in the studio. It's 10 minutes of them watching a video with almost no sound and pointing out things on the video none of us can see.
For the Cranston video it was at least partly a way to get people to watch the video / donate to his movie. The races I've "seen" him do (don't watch the main show anymore) aren't much of a mystery, it's basically like Adam shadowboxing for Wladimir Klitschko. Sometimes there's a point shoehorned in there but mostly it's there because it makes him feel good.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

A couple of weeks ago he was literally trying to show his podcast listeners a specific shade of green.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Two no-guest episodes in a week. Is Ace finally figuring out what works, or has the guest well finally stopped sputtering out its dregs and dried up?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hi my name is Adam Carolla and every time I get a comedian that had a funny bit, I bring them on and make them do that bit over and over and over, running it into the ground and then proceeding to dig a hole with my ignorant views on race and the economy so that I can then toss that comedian's bit that I've beat to death into said hole, and then fill it in with live reads.

GET IT ON

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hi my name is Adam Carolla and every time I get a comedian that had a funny bit, I bring them on and make them do that bit over and over and over, running it into the ground and then proceeding to dig a hole with my ignorant views on race and the economy so that I can then toss that comedian's bit that I've beat to death into said hole, and then fill it in with live reads.

GET IT ON

It's random as hell, and depends on the guest.

- Christoph Waltz: He comes in, is quiet and reserved, but Adam loved his movie, so they talk a lot about casting and Tarantino.
- Michael Jai White: Adam lets him just own the hour-plus.
- David Alan Grier: Mostly just shouts and screams the same 4 things over and over.
- Fred Dryer: Mostly talked about football, but he really sounded like he had some early signs of dementia. How did they not spend 30 minutes talking about Deacon Jones' head slap? Or maybe they did, and I blocked it out. That ceased being funny the 87th time I heard it.
- Frank Caliendo: Did Morgan Freeman, was okay at that, Adam didn't seem impressed, and they barely talked to him again.
- Elliott Gould: Apparently was not in the mood for a podcast.

I'd love for Kimmel to show up, but I feel like he hasn't popped up since Adam's early days.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I wish they would stop doing "What can't Adam complain about", they don't even do it right anymore. Whenever Adam gets a suggestion for something to complain about he will either complain about not having that thing (like central air today) which is the exact opposite of complaining about it, or just use it as an excuse to complain about something else. Like if the topic is club sandwiches he will rehash his "leaving the lid off the mayo" rant. When they did it on his radio show it was much much better.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

"What can't Adam complain about" is basically like an Adam Carolla rant jukebox at this point. Something to do with public bathrooms? Pull up D12 - "People who don't flush the urinal"!

I miss the ones like zip ties - this was a while ago but someone asked him to complain about zip ties once and he went off about them for like 10 minutes, it was pretty impressive.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Brian brought up a classic when a caller brought up air as a what can't Adam complain about and he said "ooooo, fires friend". That one was rather clever. He's lost his touch.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I laughed pretty hard in the most recent live episode when Adam was telling a story about his family, got hung up for a second and Alison jumped right in to remind him the name of his daughter. The timing was perfect.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I also gotta say I appreciate Artie changing with the times and GREATLY reducing his homophobia to a mere fear of butt sex and personal taste. Good for him he grew up a little.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Veskit posted:

I also gotta say I appreciate Artie changing with the times and GREATLY reducing his homophobia to a mere fear of butt sex and personal taste. Good for him he grew up a little.

It's probably from spending so much time with George Takei

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Artie Lange? poo poo, I'm gonna have to give this one a listen.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Judah loving Friedlander has been doing the same lovely, boring, completely unfunny "worlds greatest whatever the gently caress" schtick for like 6 years now. The shittiest stand up I ever saw was him at the Irvine improv (got the tickets for free which should tell you something). The guy stood there for 45 minutes, asked people what they did and then shouted at them that he was the worlds greatest at that thing. I swear to God he did this for 45 minutes, over, and over. No jokes, no stories, just the same loving thing "i'm the worlds greatest karate champ" or some bullshit.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Yet another awesome edition of What Can't Adam Complain About today.Adam's complaint about day drinking: tells a completely unrelated story and never coming up with a complaint.
Adam's complaint about brisket: Never got to eat enough of it (the exact opposite of a complaint). Dave Atell was pretty funny but the episode was loving terrible. The "boom" sound effect is getting to be unbearable.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Adam's on the latest Stone Cold Steve Austin podcast and halfway through its pretty decent, Steve is good at asking the right questions. Adam actually comes right out and says "what can't Adam complain about" is a gimmick bit that allows him to fill 15 minutes bitching about whatever.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Does anyone know what this secret "health issue" of Drew's was? He keeps saying he's waiting for the right time to discuss it and he wants to use it as a teaching moment. I'm going crazy here!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe he has genital warts and he wants to pour that testing acid on his dick to prove it.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

What Fun posted:

Does anyone know what this secret "health issue" of Drew's was? He keeps saying he's waiting for the right time to discuss it and he wants to use it as a teaching moment. I'm going crazy here!

I'm guessing some kind of low level cancer or something that was successfully treated? Maybe prostate or something?

It can't be another God damned hernia.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

visuvius posted:

I'm guessing some kind of low level cancer or something that was successfully treated? Maybe prostate or something?

It can't be another God damned hernia.

He said it is something that a lot of men go through, so I'm guessing it was prostate cancer too.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

He probably got another hernia from picking up too many nickels

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
For all of the Bryan haters, I thought he had a couple of good ones on today's show (LL Cool J). The Canada comment was the best IMO. I won't spoil it, because I know most people don't listen the day they are released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sieg posted:

For all of the Bryan haters, I thought he had a couple of good ones on today's show (LL Cool J). The Canada comment was the best IMO. I won't spoil it, because I know most people don't listen the day they are released.

Spoil it because I can't remember what it was and I want to remember. Just put up some tags or something.