Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WEH posted:

I just want to know how Adam can think he's paying “basically 50 percent” of his income on taxes.

Over 30% to Federal, 10% to State, and owning the company means paying out both ends of the payroll tax. When you thrown in property tax and stuff he's probably close to 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Adam is somewhere in that 400k- 2 million range I would imagine so he is most likely in that tiny minority that pays the highest percentage in taxes of anyone in the country.

Yeah, I actually don't mind his rants on that because he's in that range that doles out the most out of anyone. He isn't rich enough to make his income through investments (and thus a lower tax rate) but makes enough to get into that top bracket. His biggest rant seems to be against those who claim he's not paying his fair share, which I think is fair considering he pays 50%.

I'm not with him on most political stuff, but I do agree with some. The crap about building permits is spot-on for anyone who has had to deal with that stuff. And he is right that California taxed all the studios out of filming in their state.

I do miss the old Loveline type calls. Not sure if they can ever fully rekindle that magic, but the call screeners are terrible on the new show. They need to get some people on who they can make fun of a bit. Too many sycophants without real problems who just want to tell Adam and Drew how much they love them.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can't believe they are letting him do movie reviews on the main show. They are horrible. Gives absolutely nothing with substance in it, it's like asking my Mom what she thought of a movie.

"Uhhh so the movie was good, but not great. The beginning was really good, then the middle was OK, and then the ending was good. I wouldn't say it was great though, but if you like good movies, you'll like this movie. The lead actor was good in it and the supporting actor was good too."

I think Adam is great in the right situation. Allison is a bad fit though, and Bryan is just not funny. I really hope the Adam & Drew show picks up and they start producing more of them. They just need a better call screener.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought Adam talking about the horrible Pat Benetar song was hilarious.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lot of punches, a lot of front ball kicks, some side kicks, some spinning heel kicks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The way Adam treats Ray is appalling. TBH, that is what started souring me to Adam in general. They have been friends forever and Ray seems like a pretty nice guy if you ever hear him talk outside the context of Adam, but Adam just keeps bringing up crazy stuff that Ray did like 30 years ago.

He treats Drew pretty lovely on their show too. Maybe it's age making him angrier, or he's always been this way and can do it more because he owns the network. Whatever the case is, he's got some serious personal issues.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Donny might be worthless, but I wouldn't put it past Adam and his advisors to gently caress Donny out of the partnership. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Spaz one is good only because Bruce hates it. All the others are way too long. Even if Adam is under a lot of pressure and that's the reason for him being a dick, there is no reason to do it during a show. It's cringeworthy when he does it. He absolutely shreds Bruce too. Have a feeling he's going to be a lonely old man when his days in entertainment are numbered. He needs some serious therapy.

While I've been hoping Adam and Drew show could turn into the old Loveline magic, I don't think it's going to happen. Vastly underestimated how important having a slew of moron teenagers and 20-somethings to play off of was. The show isn't bad now, it just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. They usually banter around for 30-40 minutes and then take 2 boring calls. If you're going to take 2 calls, line up some good ones. If you're going to put anyone on, then you need more calls per show. It just seems like they're in this weird in-between where they want to be a 2-person talk show one minute and a call-in show at the end for a few minutes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's crazy, I would have guessed 30.

I don't really think the show needs a "drops" guy. It's a cheesy relic from the morning zoo days. Just put someone on there who can pull up a song or clip when it's needed. I rarely ever laugh at the drops now and they often just throw off the timing of the show. It's weird to me that for how much Adam hates radio, he wants to force in so many aspects of it to the show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It could just be a bunch of unpaid or really cheap interns from a local university. Radio has a lot of that going on. So it could be a few full time, fully paid staffers and a bunch of interns doing little things.

They do produce a lot of content, and it does sound professional. You do have people booking guests, selling advertisers, and doing the bookkeeping. Plus all the live shows require some preparation.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Lynette plays up the negatives a bit on the podcasts. It's part of their schtick. I might be in the minority, but I see them being together for a long time. Adam seems to really care about her and isn't the kind of guy who throws it away for a fling. He's also family oriented and seems to give in to Lynette a lot. I'm sure he's not as romantic as he once way, but you'd be hard pressed to find couples who've been together that long that are.

Looking forward to the Drew and Doug Stanhope interview. For those who haven't heard Stanhope's bit on it, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIV7e5LJms

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adam will never go for it, but I'd love for Lynette to go on the Adam & Drew Show. I think it'd be a fascinating episode with Drew trying to mediate. I'd also love to hear Adam's Mom or Dad do Drew's show by themselves. Drew always teases getting these people on for shows and never follows through. It'd make for an amazing podcast.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ez posted:

I can't believe how much better the show was without Bryan today. It was so refreshing to not hear lovely drops constantly and him chiming in every 5 seconds with an unfunny joke, stifling his own laughter as he says it. It was a brave sacrifice his father-in-law made so we can have a break from him.

I don't even think he does many drops these days. He talks a lot more since he started doing his movie reviews.

The show is dramatically better without him. Alison can get a word in and she actually works well with Adam when Bryan isn't bringing the show to a halt constantly. I guess Adam still feels sorry for him, but it's really uncomfortable when Adam gets rolling and Bryan chimes in with something unfunny and Adam has to sort of fake chuckle and move on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's an interesting idea, but I still feel weird funding projects for people who have the money to fund it themselves. And while I'll see the movie, it's not like I was craving another Adam Carolla movie.

For those who don't listen to the other shows, Ace on the House had his old friend Snake on and it's a great show. Just Adam, Ray and Snake telling old stories. They don't talk any home improvement and don't take any calls. It was a great listen if you like those old stories.

Also, it seems like Adam and Drew are going to 3 days a week which is nice. I always use their Amazon link and if the show improves, I'd consider a subscription. The biggest problem with it right now is the callers plain suck. Part of the charm of the old Loveline were the idiot callers and Adam tearing into them. It seems like Adam is afraid to really tear into bad callers because it's his network and most of them are too self-aware to provide good entertainment. I miss the 19 year old girls with 2 kids and both baby daddies in prison who want to know if she should keep dating her 40 year old manager at Arbys.

Bryan is back and was especially horrible on the latest podcast. It's pretty clear he wants to be the co-host of the show as he is starting to talk nearly as much as Adam does.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tweak posted:

I for one have enjoyed Bald Bryan since the radio days. I've never understood the vitriol he (or Theresa) receives by people on message boards, here or the carolla ones. Bald Bryan so rarily speaks compared to Alison and obviously Adam that I just imagine some people waiting to be very angry that 30 seconds of an hour and a half podcast was "ruined" by him opening his mouth, funny or not. I get much angrier at things Adam does (run poo poo into the ground, have terrible opinions) than anything a sound drop does to the show. I will concede that the, "Lets drink some beers and rape!" drop I was reminded of during the Bryan Cranston rerun was terrible, though.

I actually like Theresa. She's a great sidekick for Adam and plays to his strengths. Knows when to jump in and when to egg him on. While I like Alison, I think her style clashes a bit with Adam's. Although it seems they work much better these days.

I didn't have a problem with Bryan at the beginning, I just think he's talking way more than he ever did and has become more of a co-host as opposed to drops guy. I don't find him to be funny, I think his timing is bad, and I think his delivery is even worse (tell a bad joke and laugh at it the whole time). It's one thing to do it when it's just the 3 of them, but he's gotten to a stage now where he jumps in with great guests. I did find it funny when Joel McHale basically told him to shut up last time he was on.

It's nothing personal, I just don't think he's a radio personality. The airtime should go to the people who have that talent and he isn't one of them. I'd much rather see Alison or the guest get time over him. I think it hit me when they had Dameshek on a little while back and Bryan talked more than him. That sucks.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 9, 2013

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sieg posted:

What bothers me more than Bryan is Adam's constant repeating. He tells the same stories over and over and over again. Maybe it is just amplified because I listen to Ace on the House, Carcast, Adam and Drew, and ACS.

On Sunday's A&D he told the story about the air compressor/farting guy. Its a story I've heard at least 5-6 times. I know Drew has heard it before, but he couldn't remember it so Adam breaks the whole thing down again.

I give him a pass on a lot of that because it must be hard to fill that much time with new content (and be entertaining). But it's funny to go back and listen to some of the old Lovelines and hear the same rants.

Am I the only one who just assumed he couldn't change the tire because he was piss drunk?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why does Adam think it's good radio/pod to have them watch a video that none of us can see? The Cranston video isn't terrible because a lot of us have seen it, but it's bizarre when he plays videos of his races for the people in the studio. It's 10 minutes of them watching a video with almost no sound and pointing out things on the video none of us can see.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 22, 2013

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not a fan of the crowdfunding for this, but his page is genuinely hilarious. Videos are good and same goes for all the updates.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jo Koy and Jim Jefferies are the best guests.

I think Adam's biggest mistake with his podcasting network is not making a bigger effort to bring in other names. Jim Jefferies would have been a perfect fit on the network with his podcast. If he had built up a stable of shows instead of just giving his family shows, he may have been able to cash that in for a lot of money. Look at the success of Nerdist.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Last two episodes have been great. I have even enjoyed the show that doesn't have guests a lot (which has been happening more frequently). The one the other day was funny when that guy Mike Stewart called in for an interview and Bryan talked more than him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's also hilarious how he won't watch Breaking Bad but watches all those terrible Bravo shows. You'd think being friends with Cranston would get him to pound through the series while on the road.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Veskit posted:

So this was pretty much the best week of the podcast so far right? Everyone should believe that much at least. Past 4 episodes have all been gold. Big momma is still funny even.

Yup, even enjoyed the James Deen interview which was different. I do skip the news most of the time still. I'd love to see Jo Koy on a weekly basis, although I doubt that's possible. Bryan is still horrible and actually managed to talk more than Jo Koy during his appearance. When did he officially become a co-host?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

She is great every time she appears on one of the shows. If you haven't listened to her appearance on Adam&Drew months back, I highly recommend it. Adam was hilarious.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Adam Ray/Brad Williams appearance on Adam and Drew is an example of how good the main podcast could be without Bryan. I was cracking up the whole time because it was funny people just riffing for an hour. No news, movie reviews, or silly games, just straight up bullshitting. You put Adam with someone else who is quick on their feet and it's about as good as it gets. I get him being more active when there is no guest, but I really wish he'd put a kabash on talking when there is a good guest in studio.

And if you haven't guessed, the Adam Ray/Brad Williams episode is a must-listen. It's nice that Brad is such a good sport with all the jokes. The Christmas joke had me in tears.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's pretty harsh. Kind of surprised Adam doesn't go off on him more often considering how different their backgrounds are. Bryan always came across to me like the kind of person Adam can't stand.

Just want to say that the 1-on-1 interviews have been great. I really hope he mixes them in more often. Maybe make Friday's the 1-on-1 show. It only works with certain guests (which he's had), and when he gets them, it's golden.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bryan does poo poo on a lot of stuff though. Adam will make a funny generalization and Bryan will always chime in with that one anecdote to disprove it. It's not that Bryan is wrong, it's that the show is about comedy. And making sweeping generalizations is part of that. So when Adam starts a rant on say beaches banning dogs, it hampers the comedy when Bryan jumps in to say that a local beach he goes to allows them. It's just a smug passive-aggressive thing to do and I don't know how Adam keeps his cool around it.

Adam's 3rd book has been announced. Sounds like it'll be political in nature which is not a good thing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/adam-carolla-writing-book-president-20030987

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ez posted:

The fact that Bryan thinks Dark Crystal sucks just proves that he's a loving moron who has 0 taste in movies.

I would have smashed my phone to bits in the car if I heard it. Going to avoid that portion of the show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There are probably a few diehards who will purchase it just because they purchase everything associated with the show. And I'm sure he'll be hawking it at live shows. But I can't imagine it would be many, maybe a couple hundred. I guess it'll be up to how hard it's promoted on the podcast. If Adam plugs it a bunch and tells everyone to buy it, it might do OK. But not sure he's going to promote something that hard that he's not getting some kickback from.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Veskit posted:

Plus I wonder when Alison sees the dollars roll in how long it'll take her to finish her book. Also was Strausers book any good? Amazon seemed to like it.

Alison is an experienced writer and has written for a bunch of major publications. While her comedy doesn't mesh well with Adam, I think she's a generally funny person. Depending on what it's about, her book might be funny. She's got some good stories from her career that she never gets a chance to tell on the show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you listen to the latest podcast from Adam's wife (For Crying out Loud), it sure sounds like they are awfully close to divorce.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It seems more about him complaining that Lynette doesn't work hard enough on the Mangria stuff. And that she doesn't do exactly what he tells her to do all the time. I don't think the fish tacos was much more than a final straw for her.

Adam might be right on a lot of things, but he's also a huge narcissist who surrounds himself with lackeys he can push around to feed his ego. Just listen to Ace on the House and you can see how Adam treats a friend. Heck, he is even a complete rear end in a top hat to Drew on their podcast together half the time. Now if that's how he treats his two friends, I can only imagine how he treats his wife in real life. Maybe Lynette does some lovely stuff here and there, but it sure seems like he does nothing but berate her for not being the breadwinner and not working hard enough on stuff he tells her to.

One of the most ironic things is how much Adam complains about how his family never listens to his shows or reads his books, but Lynette has made it clear that Adam has never heard her podcast once.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The name and marketing for the show made it seem like something it wasn't. It was actually just a funny sketch comedy show. I wonder if Adam's career would have gone differently if that show wasn't based around "manliness" or whatever. If it was just presented as a regular sketch comedy show with two guys hosting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WampaLord posted:

First off, I'll say that like you, I don't think Adam straight up hates black people or any other minority. I think that he hates poor people.

I think that he hates his parents. And his parents were the definition of the welfare queen stereotype. And so I think he assumes that most people who are in that situation are like his parents. He goes too far with it just like those on the other side go too far thinking that working hard is some kind of evil creed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not saying it's right. I just think it's anger toward his parents being redirected at others.

Come to think of it, it's probably a miracle he isn't more hosed up. I can't imagine having parents who care so little about you that they wouldn't even tune in to see you on the Tonight Show. Or read your books. Or even know the name of the shows you appear on. Even if he acts like he doesn't care, that has to be something that eats him up inside.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I hate how Alison can make a real funny joke and no one acknowledges it. Feels like it happens once a show. Like when they're talking about his daughter spitting in Olga's face and how it's a huge insult in Latin countries, then she casually jumps in saying it's a compliment to her. Went completely ignored but I laughed my rear end off at her delivery.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adam has talked lately about how hosts don't know their guests work. How he'll go on a show and the person will know nothing about him. He uses Jimmy as a counter and talks about how he reads the book or watches a movie before the guest comes on.

Then I realize that Adam has never watched Breaking Bad. The critically acclaimed show his friend who helped him raise over a million dollars stars in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought Siri was kind of interesting. Not as interesting as Mick and it felt a bit out of place, but not a bad guest. The relationship between the two seems incredibly odd though and Mick comes across a bit creepy. And I did laugh at the Randy West jokes. Either way, it was a good episode. Although I'm not sure why Adam shoehorned Baldywood in there, even Bryan was reluctant to do it.

The DDP episode had potential but Adam let the interview turn too much into an infomercial. It was one of Alison's best though. Bringing up Napolean Dynamite and then setting up the "Dude" off with DDP and Dawson. I wish they'd just drop the newsgirl stuff and let her do her own segment or something on the show. She can still bring up news during the show if things slow down. She's starting to grow on me and I think she's funny but in a bad position.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's partly Adam's fault for not integrating her into the show better. He should defer to her at times for topics, should let her be more vocal in the interviews. They should drop the news and Adam should at the 20 minute mark or so ask her what the topics of the day are. No segment, just natural. It also helps when Adam has someone else guiding the conversation (like on Loveline) so that we don't have to hear about the goalposts another 300 times.

Bryan's emergence as the co-host does make it tough on Alison, as well as any guests. The recent Jo Koy episode is an example of that as Bryan talked more than Jo Koy did. It's not good when the sound guy talks more than your funny guest.

In a weird way, Adam needs a producer. Someone like Stern understands this stuff much better and how to integrate people in. He would never have a guest on and then have Gary talk for half the segment. But Adam doesn't and it feels like they need someone who can control the show and give it guidance. It won't change because he runs the ship. But the show has so much potential if it could drop the bad segments like Adam watching himself race or Bryan giving a terrible movie review while an interesting guest sits in silence.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I almost forgot. The joke Adam makes about Siri walking into a swingers party is hilarious. Bryan poo poo on it but the initial joke setup was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He uses the joke a little too much but it's still hilarious and I laugh everytime I see her magazine at the store. It's one of the most narcissistic things you could do.

And that "Favorite Things" cover opens up to have more Ophrah's in it.