Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Every time I see a picture of Dawson I can only think "No loving way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Over 30% to Federal, 10% to State, and owning the company means paying out both ends of the payroll tax. When you thrown in property tax and stuff he's probably close to 50%.

Hes also not counting a bunch of the perks he gets from owning that business though. He always talks about leasing cars for his dad/Lynnette which I imagine he does through his company for a tax break and things of that nature. But yeah, its not insane to think that he pays a shitload in taxes, maybe close to 50%.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Ez posted:

Well I still can't stand him going on rants about taxes for the millionth time but I can't blame him for being pissed if he actually has to pay 50%, drat.

The tax rants are some of the worst but there is no doubt that he is paying a ton of them. I remember reading an article on Fortune or Forbes or something like that a few months ago about who actually pay the most in taxes percentage wise. Because there are a lot of tax breaks for poor people (because they are poor) and really rich people (because they are job creators or whatever) the people who get hosed the most on taxes are people who are in that highest tax bracket (around 400,000 I think) up to a few million per year because they make enough to be in that super high tax bracket but not enough to do legal and quasi legal things to hide money and avoid paying taxes (which I think the article said was around 2 million/year). Adam is somewhere in that 400k- 2 million range I would imagine so he is most likely in that tiny minority that pays the highest percentage in taxes of anyone in the country.

I considered tweeting him that article when I read it but I really didnt want to hear another tax rant so I didnt.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

What Fun posted:

Nice OP! I was a little disappointed with the Dana Gould episode the other day because we didn't get to hear Crappin' Batman. Also there were some weird silences when Dana would say something that's way far out of Adam's worldview politically, and Adam respected him enough/thought he would get shot down by an intelligent guy and didn't fire into a rant.

I also appreciated that Adam clearly respects Dana. Dana is amazing on his own podcast, Adams, or any other and Adam seems to agree that Dana is a genuinely talented and motivated guy. It wasn't as funny as some past Dana episodes but it was still pretty good.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you haven't yet check out the one with Dana Gould and Greg Fitzsimmons, those two were both great and it was hilarious to hear Dana Gould crack Fitzsimmons' poo poo up. It's an awesome thing when comedians can make each other convulse with laughter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_id3GPmr0c

There was a good run of guests this week. I got really excited when I saw Tracy Morgan's name, but it turns out it was just a call in. I really hope they get that guy in the studio sometime.

Thanks for the info, looking forward to the Greg Fitzsimmons one, he is usually great on podcasts.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I think Adam is great in the right situation. Allison is a bad fit though, and Bryan is just not funny. I really hope the Adam & Drew show picks up and they start producing more of them. They just need a better call screener.

Allisons show is usually quite good (except for dumb stuff like Itunes quote of the week or whatever its called) but man, she really doesnt fit on Adams show. Shes talented, but you can tell she doesnt like yes anding his nuttier rants like Theresa did.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

dayman posted:

I don't think Adam will ever catch on that the show only needs one obnoxiously self-promoting blowhard. I don't know what I expected though, the guy took the name "Dr. Life".

I just saw that podcast listed - I knew has soon as I saw a guy named Dr. Life was on it (holy gently caress, that name) that it would be a terrible episode. Came here to confirm it and I now feel justified.

Any good ones recently?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

NewtGoongrich posted:

I really want to like Ace on the House. Ray is very interesting and he (mostly) has good chemistry with Adam. The problem is, Adam just trashes Ray constantly for not owning a home, and also trashes Ray's parents for never owning a home, despite the fact that Adam makes it seem like Ray's mom took better care of him than his own parents. It's just very off putting.

The way Adam treats Ray is appalling. TBH, that is what started souring me to Adam in general. They have been friends forever and Ray seems like a pretty nice guy if you ever hear him talk outside the context of Adam, but Adam just keeps bringing up crazy stuff that Ray did like 30 years ago.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Any particularly good episodes in the past week or so? The last one I listened to was Monica Mehta.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

visuvius posted:

DUDE. loving exactly. I pictured late twenties and would have been surprised if she were 31 but loving 38?! That girl ages well.

I listen to her podcast pretty regularly and she often gets pretty down on her looks, its sad. She had an attractive guest on recently (I think it was Rhea Seehorn) and like half of the episode was one telling the other how pretty they were and the other denying it. She sometimes gets into a rut like that, but it doesnt feel disingenuous or anything but it does get a little old.

But to echo what someone else just posted, her podcast is usually quite good.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Aww poo poo! Son! I can't hear Ice T say anything anymore without hearing Paul F Tompkins' impression.

I kept hoping to hear about another on of his ill-fated bussiness ventures (Ice-T Causes Crib Death) but no such luck. PFT Ice-T is better than the real version.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Really glad you guys recommended this one. I didn't know who Jo Koy was but goddamn that dude has improv chops. I'm checking out his standup now.

I almost wonder if a live show with Adam Carolla could be considered a trial by fire for a comedian. If they can hold their own with Carolla overtalking them and running rants into the ground by grabbing his attention and constantly delivering on the funny then they deserve a medal or something.

Like an 'I survived a Carolla Live Podcast' t-shirt maybe.

This really is the truth. I respect anyone who is able to be funny on his show. Adam just has such a huge personality and presence that anyone who can keep up at all tends to be genuinely talented. I havent listened to the Jo Koy episode yet, but I am excited now.

EDIT - listened to the Jo Koy episode last night, it was as good as everyone said. Started getting nervous will Bill Oreilly came up, but everything stayed on track. I wish that Adam would do what Scott Aukerman does on Comedy Bang Bang where he pretty much just has a rotating cast of people he is funny with that just keep coming back. If hes not going to interview guests, why bother having them on? Episodes with people who fit into Adams style of comedy are so freaking good, its a shame they happen so infrequently.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 14, 2013

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Binton posted:

Anybody else happen to catch Dr. drews podcast with Adams wife today? I skipped through the Jodi Arias stuff because I could give less than a poo poo, but when they start talking about Adams home life at about 24 minutes in.. Hooo boy I kinda feel bad for Lynette.

I didnt listen to this yet but I heard Lynette on Alisons podcast awhile back and it was.... sad. Alison was asking her about how they met and the beginning of their relationship and Lynette seemed so happy and excited about all of the nice things that Adam had done. And then she finished off the story by saying something along the lines of "but its not really like that anymore...".

I mean, no ones relationship is the same after many years as it was in the beginning but I suspect there has been a much bigger swing with Adam and Lynette than most. He sounded amazing in the beginning and now... not so much.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

visuvius posted:

Actually I'd be pretty shocked if they ever did. They both seem like pretty traditional people, at least she does and he just seems to want the opposite of whatever the gently caress he had in his childhood which would be staying together regardles.

But could you even imagine the alimony fueled rants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

I hate saying this because I like Brian Posehn, but he's not a very good comedian, and a pretty bad actor. I like him personally, at least as much as you can with someone you don't know in real life, and he seems like a really cool guy and a good buddy, which is probably why he's got a career in the first place.

I like his cover of The Gambler, though, and he was funny on Mr. Show. :(

I like Posehn and I think he is a decent stand up. He doesnt do broad comedy though and I think you have to 'get' metal and random nerdy stuff to appreciate his comedy. He doesnt click with me all that well, but I appreciate what he does. His stuff is just pretty specific, even in the world of alt-comedy.

I do agree with the notion that he tends to not be great on podcasts and stuff. He does work best with his written material. I thought he was pretty good on the Sarah Silverman Program too.