Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dayman posted:

Finally watched the new Jo Koy episode and it was gold. If you've been abstaining from the podcast for a while this ep is a great one for jumping back in. No tired rants and Jo was on fire or figh-ler.

Really glad you guys recommended this one. I didn't know who Jo Koy was but goddamn that dude has improv chops. I'm checking out his standup now.

I almost wonder if a live show with Adam Carolla could be considered a trial by fire for a comedian. If they can hold their own with Carolla overtalking them and running rants into the ground by grabbing his attention and constantly delivering on the funny then they deserve a medal or something.

Like an 'I survived a Carolla Live Podcast' t-shirt maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ez posted:

I always defend Adam when people call him sexist, racist etc. but I can't defend the fact that he really really hates poor people. This thing where he thinks all poor people are lazy and stupid comes from his black and white, concrete thinking based solely on his experiences. His parents were poor and lazy, therefore all poor people are lazy. Adam wasn't bullied in school, therefore bullying doesn't exist. He has never known a person with peanut allergies, therefore nobody has peanut allergies. He also still hasn't realized that things like passionfruit iced tea, weird club sandwiches and fingerprinting coaches are primarily LA things and the rest of the world isn't like that, but LA is where he lives and therefore its the entire planet. I think Adam is a pretty smart person generally but that's the most basic, primitive mindset you can have.

New thread title: The Adam Carolla Show - More Fun to Analyze Than Listen To

Ez is dead on.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Or hey it may be the recognition that one's addictive urges are driven by biochemistry that has a strong mental and physiological effect on your system; and that biochemistry is a function of the vageries of one's own gene expression, epigenetic control, miRNA control, and likely governed by other biochemical pathways we haven't found yet.

None of the above has an iota of God in it, but it forces the addict to recognize they are not in control of their urges/actions truly fully and that giving themselves over to the idea there is more governing the universe than one's own will might be a good/rational place to start healing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

. Adam is kicking people while they're down for a laugh. Not even for a laugh, really. Just because he hates them.

See: How Adam treats Ray.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sieg posted:

I guess CA has a different definition of mundane. A tennis court, pool, and 5,500 square feet doesn't sound all that mundane to me.

It does. Particularly for the income bracket Adam is in.

Pool and tennis courts would be considered nice.

Not mundane? See Hearst Castle.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I stopped listening to Adam's show when he was a douche bag to his buddy Ray on Ace on the house. That was a few years ago now I suppose.

I just sped through the ACS Jan 4th Patton Oswalt interview ... and wow. Talk about dramatic irony. Adam starts the show with the very uncomfortable "Alison Rosen isn't here" then immediately segues into "we needed to let Tim Conway say goodbye because of the fans", a story about how people are inconsiderate because they forget HIS birthday; then during the Patton interview he brings up being cut off the cover of the Man Show and how it is an insult that people forget he was part of that show (though granted it was a funny story). You threw Allison under the bus the same way at the beginning of the show, you dick. It was hilarious. Adam has zero awareness or care for other people's emotions and is a complete narcissist. Total sociopath.

I listened to the first 20 minutes of Allison's show where she discusses the notification of her firing. Having not listened to ACS for a good year, it appears Allison is still suffering from a hard case of depression that likely started with her dog dying. Likely it was complicated by what you guys pointed out about Allison's difficulty with conception and possibly additional medical issues based on the fact she is in her late 30s. Even though it was traumatic, it seems that she was bringing up the dead dog all the time and I bet after six months of that and Allison showing no signs of significant improvement with her depression, she was let go. Just a guess.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 12, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting. If true, number 1 and 3 would get you fired anywhere.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Whenever there is a vast difference between user scores (84%) and critic scores (50%), either the movie is a cult hit, a bunch of critics got paid off, the critics thought it was trendy to pan a good movie, or maybe someone had launched a successful social media campaign that inflated the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

WampaLord posted:

The gay blood ban is really dumb because if you're in a monogamous relationship for many years, it's not like AIDS will suddenly pop up in your blood because you're gay.

Also the gay blood ban is dumb because you could easily lie and just say you've never had gay sex and donate anyway, which is why they test all donated blood.

Blood banks can only test for viruses there are well established assays for.

When new poo poo mutates and emanates out of a community (like AIDS did) then you can end up with contamination.