Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I hate saying this because I like Brian Posehn, but he's not a very good comedian, and a pretty bad actor. I like him personally, at least as much as you can with someone you don't know in real life, and he seems like a really cool guy and a good buddy, which is probably why he's got a career in the first place.

I like his cover of The Gambler, though, and he was funny on Mr. Show. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Red posted:

What the gently caress

It turns out that Adam is a toxic weirdo. The number of people he's hosed over and alienated is staggering.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I only listened to her show a couple times, but whenever she guests on something in my rotation, she usually does great and I'm always happy to hear her. Just a really pleasant, funny person.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I know Adam has become insufferable but I still enjoy the times where he appears on another podcast and is just shooting the poo poo with other funny people. In the right setting, he's still a brilliant comedian.

Adam is legitimately quick on his feet, more so than a lot of comedians in my opinion. It's just when he relies on his old saws that he gets tedious, and we've already belabored his political and social stuff. Hell, I think in his peak, Dennis Miller was a top 5 standup. In an alternate timeline where 9/11 never happened, Miller, Carolla, and Phil Hendrie would still probably be as funny as ever. Plus a bunch of other stuff, but that's not what we're discussing here.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Oh, sure. Even with all of that there are people with similar circumstances and dispositions that are downright poisonous. Adam's just kind of a bummer. I prefer to chalk it up to the "older comedian CTE" Kyle Kinane was talking about. I don't begrudge him his success or anything.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Rick posted:

Phil Hendrie swerving right though was a definite surprise and probably 9-11. He always was a little Dadish (oh poo poo, awkward memory, I called the show once a few months after graduating high school when he was doing open lines and he told me to get out of the house and get a job which actually was probably good advice, I have no idea how he pegged that on me) but other than that pretty darn liberal and half his schtick was making conservative radio listeners flip out.

I feel like there's a good book in Phil's life & career, but since about 8 people would read it I know I'm not gonna bother writing it. He's a fascinating guy, and I wish the Phil Hendrie thread didn't die after about 4 days.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

JB50 posted:

You guys talking about principal Vagina?

One in the same. He's a great VO actor, but his range isn't what it used to be between the chain smoking and getting old.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Every time I see this thread on the 1st page, I get excited because it usually means that Adam has said or done something really stupid, and we get to mock a bad person again.

I was a big fan for a couple of years, like most of you. Let this be a monument to how much of a piece of poo poo he is.

Can you imagine going on an international platform and constantly unironically telling the world how much of a pussy your son is, or that you refused to buy a helmet to fix his messed up skull?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Like, I was a massive Phil Hendrie fan for years, but it became impossible to ignore just how lousy of a person he was, or how corrosive his opinions were. I have no doubt that him being an unbelievable rear end in a top hat is what made him funny in the first place, but after awhile it got to be too much.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah. Tried watching a few minutes of Adam/Jimmy Man Show, would not recommend. Pure strain early 2000s in a bad way.

As edgy and obnoxious and oblivious as I was 20 or so years ago, I still managed to be completely gob smacked by how creepy that show was back then.

I mean, I still watched it all the time. I watched all the Comedy Central trash like it was my job.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

He was funny on Doug loves Movies (remember that show?)

He's a funny, very charismatic guy. He was just easier to appreciate before he went full maniac.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

That's, uhhhhh...

God drat.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I love Art Bell, but I am very glad he checked out when he did. He was already a Trump lover during his Midnight in the Desert run. I honestly think it would break my heart to hear him during the last few years.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bartok posted:

How bad is Coast to Coast AM with that poo poo now? I miss when conspiracy theories were fun.

lol like I listen to George Snoorey

Honestly though, I might try to get through a couple episodes at some point, because you've got me curious about that now.

Lampsacus posted:

As a dweeb with a phone loaded with old art bell coast to coast episodes

:hfive:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Never listened to coast to coast AM. Where do they have the archives, and any recommendations on episodes?

Just search Art Bell on Podcast Addict, it's a pretty deep well of crazy poo poo.

His famous episodes are stuff like Al Bielek and the Philadelphia Experiment, all the HAARP stuff (which I personally find very dull, but ymmv). Madman Marcum built his own time machine; those episodes are a lot of fun. Look into the Mel's Hole saga, about a man in the PNW with a bottomless pit on his property who runs afoul of the US government.

Some people like Father Malachi Martin (myself included), and it'll be your jam if you like exorcism stuff. Major Ed Dames is your guy if like a nut predicting the end of the world every 3 months.

I personally can't abide listening to southerners tell stupid ghost stories badly, but his Ghost to Ghost episodes on Halloween are very popular. Just find 10/31 on any given year if that's your thing.

I love EVP episodes with Brendan Cooke and Barbara McBeath. I don't know why, but those are just about my favorite episodes.

One specific episode you should listen to, and probably his most notorious episode ever, was 9/11/97. It was an open line episode with one line in particular set aside for past or present (or future???) employees of Area 51. It's a fun episode overall, but the last half hour goes completely insane. It made every hair on my body stand up the first time I heard it. It's great theater, if nothing else, and one of my favorite (episodes? editions? broadcasts?) in radio history.

I would describe Art himself, but I'd be writing for a couple of hours on that, and it's loving Christmas, so no. He really is one of the best radio broadcasters of all time, in my opinion.

e: if you're a lefty, be forewarned that his political leanings can get a little, uhh... Dicey? He's not Rush or Alex Jones by any means, but his views are definitely a pretty antiquated.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 25, 2022

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

The undertone that he only told them is because his son is getting a driver's license and was going to try and visit her is particularly something.

Jesus loving Christ.

edit: lol

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mandate: Get. It. On.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I remember being confused trying to find the episode of Workaholics where the guys befriend a pedophile, only to find out it was delisted because the pedophile was played by Chris Delia.

Should've been recast with Tig Notaro etc

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Remember when Adam said we'd all feel stupid for how we reacted to covid after his best friend died of covid? And then his friend's family had to do a gofundme to pay for his funeral?

Well anyway, I'm glad Adam gets to keep his $13 million car collection. I was worried for him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I am gravely disappointed in at least 2 of those people.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Glad to see Bobby Lee is landing in roughly the part of the comedy world he deserves, though, dude has sucked out loud for like 25 years

Maybe Ari Shaffir will beat him half to death a few more times.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

How in the world can you say such a thing about the comedy genius behind the makin’ copies guy

You just don’t understand the brilliance of the copies guy

Jim Breuer is rolling in the same poo poo pile, but at least he does a funny Joe Pesci impression.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

You dare besmirch the name of Goat Boy?

Hey, you're over here talking about how brilliant Richard the Copy Guy is and ignoring Sensitive Naked Man or Tiny Elvis. You don't have to bring up Citizen Kane every time someone talks about Orson Welles.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a Paul Masson guy, but we're basically on the same page.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Bobby Lee is an infamously bad Doughboys guest, and it’s a chill show but he insisted on being unpleasant.

Didn't he spend half the episode berating Mitch for not leveraging his fame into getting laid?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I was about to ask about this. They got yelled at so much because of that old Rob Lowe sex tape while this apparently common knowledge? Also I don’t even think I get what the Rosenthal controversy was

Boring podcast drama info dump:

One of the hosts, Nick Wiger, also hosts a podcast about bad video games. He and his cohosts thought it would be a funny bit to have a Native comedian on to talk about famed Atari rape simulator Custer's Revenge for their Thanksgiving show. The guy, Joey Clift, thought that was a real hosed up thing to do, so he accepted the booking and confronted them on air about.

He explained to them why it was a lovely thing to do, and they were very contrite and admitted it was a crass, thoughtless thing to do. One of the hosts, Matt, was friends with Joey, and he was so upset that he hurt the guy's feelings that he broke down in tears. Everyone apologized, dude accepted the apology, everyone moved on. Joey even went back on the podcast a few months later.

Joey was less than gracious about the whole deal (for the record I thought he did the right thing) then went on a media victory lap about the whole incident which seemed like maybe a dickish thing to do, but whatever.

When Rob Lowe was booked on Doughboys he went on a Twitter fit about it, saying they were happy to book a statutory rapist but couldn't be bothered to book a Native guest. Except that wasn't really accurate, and Doughboys in general has one of the most diverse guest rosters of any podcast hosted by two bearded white guys. The whole thing was silly for the most part (aside from the Custer's Revenge thing, cuz yikes...), and Joey Clift kinda started the whole "controversy" by bitching on twitter. It was also part of a one-two punch because they also booked Chris "Gadsden flag" Pratt on their show as well, and people got real sore about that one, too.

I really should've been working in the 10 minutes it took to write that, so thank you for letting me bore you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

e: weird delayed double post