Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Looks like someone convinced someone else holding pursestrings that Rift isn't dead yet:

http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2016/08/04/new-rift-expansion-starfall-prophecy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Are the new classes and such still expensive as gently caress? Is the expansion content after Storm Legion still a loving pain in the balls unless you shell out 60$?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ironically, I bought the WoW expansion and subbed for a month but it drove me to try RIFT again :v:

Been playing RIFT for the past 2-3 weeks and having fun just running around doing quests. Would be nice if someone could promote Danith, Raalirah, and Saanat in <Goon Squad> so I can steal all the money from the bank so I can turn in and get guild quests and invite people, that would be awesome

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'll log in and see if anyone has removed me from power.

E: done

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 5, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Are the new classes and such still expensive as gently caress? Is the expansion content after Storm Legion still a loving pain in the balls unless you shell out 60$?

Doesn't matter because the next expansion (Starfall) raises the level cap and also costs money so it's a B2P barrier to any endgame level content in a F2P game that was originally subscription only. Also yes all that poo poo still costs money.

So you'll need to spend the price of a couple full price AAA games on steam just to unlock all the expansion content, souls, gear slots, etc in a freemium MMO. That might sounds acceptable to you but it's an older MMO now so just be certain you're ok with a minimal playerbase once that expansion hits because the days of multiple raids worth or people rocking up to zone events etc died off years ago.

To put numbers on this anyone who isn't coughing up at least forty bucks won't be participating in post-starfall endgame content at all so good luck with that if that was your goal.

Also post Starfall there will be precisely 3 zones, 2 dungeons and 0 (zero) raids so lol endgame.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
well why would they make raids for a game that drove away all of its raiders

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

to bring them back to the game and get more money out of them?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

quote:

Those who preorder, Starfall Prophecy has a very special surprise in store! Earn a Starfall Prophecy token every day you log in to RIFT, from the moment you preorder until Starfall Prophecy launches. Visit the Maguk Representative in Tempest Bay to spend them for a variety of rewards!

this is so loving gross what a scumbag company

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
did i mention i met tsu back in january and we reminisced about this dead game over some beer

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Thunderbro posted:

this is so loving gross what a scumbag company

It's a company desperately trying to keep a 6? year old game self sufficient since idiot gamers demanded subs models go away. And look where that got us? Begging for fair sub model games like FFXIV.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
to be fair most of the top end players were going "this is an awful idea" or "i have so much gold that i can basically be a whale through REX" so gently caress people who wanted the sub model to go away

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

It's a company desperately trying to keep a 6? year old game self sufficient since idiot gamers demanded subs models go away. And look where that got us? Begging for fair sub model games like FFXIV.

you mean the part where it went from being a viable competitor with 1m+ subs to a sad, desperate shitshow that begs you to log in every day after preordering for the amazing reward of a squirrel mount

it's amazing to me that at one time Rift was good and fun

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thunderbro posted:

you mean the part where it went from being a viable competitor with 1m+ subs to a sad, desperate shitshow that begs you to log in every day after preordering for the amazing reward of a squirrel mount

it's amazing to me that at one time Rift was good and fun

Not just that, if you play F2P, you have to login everyday to get your random daily bonuses for dungeons. They don't accumulate anymore when you're not logged in, patron only benefit now. The expansions and should are stupidly expensive. $150 for everything minus Starfall, $190 total. Then I think there is a soul pack not even included in the $150 package that costs another ~$30.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

Nah. They're desperately trying to keep it alive long after it's time has passed so all the monetization is aimed at squeezing what players are left instead of attracting new ones.

It's old, buggy and there are plenty of better products available in an already overcrowded market. The only way forwards for Rift is down regardless of what Trion does.

If you were a completely fresh MMO player why would you choose Rift over anything else at this point? It sure wouldn't be the lore, gameplay or content. Or the price.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What's this about the new expansion pack having 3 zones, 2 dungeons and no raid? A quick glance at the website shows 5 zones/unknown amount of dungeons/1 raid, or is that info outdated/wrong?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asehujiko posted:

What's this about the new expansion pack having 3 zones, 2 dungeons and no raid? A quick glance at the website shows 5 zones/unknown amount of dungeons/1 raid, or is that info outdated/wrong?

It's Trion so you should really know by now not take what they claim at face value.

In a live stream a while back (which I only know about because I was listening to a YouTuber's comments) they admitted that both the zones and raid would not be finished at "launch" of Starfall and yes, the number of dungeons is two (2). Maybe it was 4 zones complete - whatever the total is they're going to be at least one short.

In that same live stream they answered exactly zero questions from their viewers too, which was telling.

tl;dr Trion lied again. What a shocker!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, and I used to really like Trion/Rift.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

That's industry standard though, to advertise things with an expansion that won't be there at launch but will be included later. GW2 did it with HoT, WoW's Legion raid wasn't ready at launch, and FFXIV probably had heavensward stuff that came out down the road.

But I'm not sure why this is surprising or shady? This is a 6 year old game that is not going to get new traffic and going to squeeze the people who still want to play it, otherwise the only option is to shut it down. Either the people playing will like it enough to pony up, or shutdown will come.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious what the playerbase of rift is like any more. Last I knew about rift Ahov himself sent me a message about playing in legion but I haven't seen him on bnet in months :rip:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Deki posted:

Man, and I used to really like Trion/Rift.

Some of my best MMO memories come from Rift. It's really quite sad how badly this game has fallen.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Could we still go back and do legacy stuff for free? I could maybe see setting a raid to 50 and doing vanilla raid progression for fun

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eltoasto posted:

WoW's Legion raid wasn't ready at launch,

wow does it with a lot of other poo poo, but they make a conscious decision to not release the first raid for a time for World First Reasons or something

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Machai posted:

Could we still go back and do legacy stuff for free? I could maybe see setting a raid to 50 and doing vanilla raid progression for fun

All the content except the upcoming expansion is free. Now, you do have to pay extra (in-game currency or $) to unlock things like ear ring slots or plane of water attunement to equip some gear (I think) but currently, all areas are free to level up, quest in, whatever

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Danith posted:

All the content except the upcoming expansion is free. Now, you do have to pay extra (in-game currency or $) to unlock things like ear ring slots or plane of water attunement to equip some gear (I think) but currently, all areas are free to level up, quest in, whatever

My big thing is the new classes all being pretty drat expensive.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

My big thing is the new classes all being pretty drat expensive.

When you have basically the same population as Wildstar and the same trends you have to milk the punters where you can.
Rift: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120
Wildstar: http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

My guess is the majority of those remaining in both are people operating on sunk cost fallacy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
man, rift had the coolest housing. i'm gonna miss just loving around and visiting random peoples homes. and the water slide into the lake behind goon haus.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DancingShade posted:

When you have basically the same population as Wildstar and the same trends you have to milk the punters where you can.
Rift: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120
Wildstar: http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

My guess is the majority of those remaining in both are people operating on sunk cost fallacy.

Wildstar's monetization is probably less annoying and exploitative, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wildstar's monetization is probably less annoying and exploitative, though.

I'm pretty sure you can at least reach max level and do whatever passes for endgame content in Wildstar without spending the price of a AAA game too. Not so in this Trion product.

WARNING: MATH

First let's make some assumptions if you want to ever do "endgame" in Rift.:

1) You're going to want earring slots because of course you don't want empty gear slots. If you had empty slots you'd expect to get kicked from groups.
2) You're going to want all the additional souls for your class because raid content will be tuned around you having them (I don't know this for sure but this is Trion so I think my guess is probably accurate)
3) You're going to want to buy population dive inevitability starfall prophecy because otherwise you simply can't reach max level and will have to stay in the old dead zones with empty dungeons.

Let's price this up shall we?

1) Earrings are about $20 I think (I'm not downloading the client again to check)
2) Souls come in bundles by expansion (not by class) so you have to buy the lot. Ascended Soul DLC $35, Storm Legion DLC $30, Nightmare Tide DLC $60
Or you can just buy the "suckerRift Ultimate Edition" for a mere $150 which includes all of the above, some minor cosmetic poo poo and a mount.

3) The next expansion which is introducing the hard B2P cap on reaching endgame (Starfall Prophecy) is $40 and not included in the $150 ultimate edition.

All up if you want to come back to Rift after Starfall Prophecy hits and raid or something you're looking at forking over approximately $190.
:thumbsup:

I have no idea what anything in Wildstar costs so someone else will have to do that part of a comparison.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I believe there is actually a soul pack containing all premium released souls for $60, you'll need Starfall separately for $40 then earring slots are another $20. $60 to just be end game capable, $120 to be able to fill any role on every class, $180 to play every class with every role.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So basically Rifts now costs over twice the price of ESO Gold Edition :toot:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Can you not still buy Trion funbux with in game cash? It's been a while since I played but I recall getting the new classes by just paying in game gold for the plex coupons or whatever they're called.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Can you not still buy Trion funbux with in game cash? It's been a while since I played but I recall getting the new classes by just paying in game gold for the plex coupons or whatever they're called.

An excellent question. Technically yes but practically no.

F2P players have a 2.5k platinum cap. A quick search found me this:
http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/477908-5000-plat-cap-f2p-player.html

So as of February 2016 (that post) REX had inflated to about 4k each from the original price of around 800 plat when there was still a player population to speak of during storm legion.
You cannot get enough in game cash (ever) to actually afford to buy one unless you've already spent real money to unlock your in game currency cap.

If that's your plan then I wish you good luck and hope they're even still on the market after you've spent a few months doing nothing but grinding plat :toot:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
4k plat for REX now. HahHAHHahHahAHAhhahhaHhaHHhahhHah.

Had a lot of fun in this game at launch. Was a very pretty and atmospheric game that really tweaked my theory crafting bone. :rip:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They sell for 3k right now, but you could transfer plat across your characters. There are players who would buy the Rex for you and have it gifted to you and you just send them the plat in the mail. Trion bans anyone who scams.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DancingShade posted:

An excellent question. Technically yes but practically no.

F2P players have a 2.5k platinum cap. A quick search found me this:
http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/477908-5000-plat-cap-f2p-player.html

So as of February 2016 (that post) REX had inflated to about 4k each from the original price of around 800 plat when there was still a player population to speak of during storm legion.
You cannot get enough in game cash (ever) to actually afford to buy one unless you've already spent real money to unlock your in game currency cap.

If that's your plan then I wish you good luck and hope they're even still on the market after you've spent a few months doing nothing but grinding plat :toot:

Also the AH changes killed the artifact market, which mad it agonizing to try to get the Plat in a reasonable time.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
remember how there were puzzles and treasure chests hidden in each zone?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I read all the poo poo for the new expansion this week and I think maaaybe I want to come back and play. Anyone still playing this?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I read all the poo poo for the new expansion this week and I think maaaybe I want to come back and play. Anyone still playing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WabT1L-nN-E

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks I will spend my money on drugs instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Redownloaded this on a whim and I guess I got a month of patron and half the dlc souls for free?

• Locked thread