Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Deki posted:

Redownloaded this on a whim and I guess I got a month of patron and half the dlc souls for free?

like 2 from each pack or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Machai posted:

like 2 from each pack or what?

I got the Dream souls for free and thought I got the storm legion souls too but I guess I bought them years back.

E: had a friend pop on his old account, and he got nothing.

Deki fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 17, 2017

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
How is the population for this? Haven't played it in years.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
"Just okay".

There was a pretty big bump when the expansion launched but there have been less and less people every day it seems. It'll probably jump back up a bit next week when if the patch comes out.

I only log on to mess about with dimensions and sell crafting mats from minion adventures, but last time I went to Tempest Bay, the crafting/auctioneer room had like two people in it, whereas a few months ago it was full of people. Then again this was like 1 in the morning.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

desudrive posted:

but last time I went to Tempest Bay, the crafting/auctioneer room had like two people in it, whereas a few months ago it was full of people. Then again this was like 1 in the morning.

why would people be using the main hub from like 2 expansions ago? or did they recycle that like the recycled HK in NT?

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
TB is still the main hub for whatever reason. The city in NT was extremely laggy for most, and the new one isn't much better, plus afaik there isn't really a place for crafters or an auctioneer even though the new city is probably one of the most interesting places in the new expansion. #Trino

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Patch 4.1 just hit, including a new raid with an LFR system, rehashed dungeons, and a legendary weapon system with good old fashioned grind-til-you're-dead.

It took them 4 months just to make that content, and they even delayed the release of the patch by a month. At this point I'm not sure if it's that they just don't care anymore or that they've forgotten how to make an MMO. I'd wager a little bit of both.

Rift? More like RIPt.

desudrive fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 31, 2017

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

desudrive posted:

Patch 4.1 just hit, including a new raid with an LFR system, rehashed dungeons, and a legendary weapon system with good old fashioned grind-til-you're-dead.

It took them 4 months just to make that content, and they even delayed the release of the patch by a month. At this point I'm not sure if it's that they just don't care anymore or that they've forgotten how to make an MMO. I'd wager a little bit of both.

Rift? More like RIPt.

I think their dumbest modern decision was to hide the new mechanical content (legendary skills and such) entirely behind the expansion paywall.

Giving people 1 legendary skill or whatever early on would give free players a taste of what looks to be an interesting system, and would help them boost their characters to the point where they need to actually buy the content.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sudbina posted:

How is the population for this? Haven't played it in years.

Let me give you an idea.

This is Rift: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

This is Wildstar: http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

tl;dr both are in terminal decline

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DancingShade posted:

Let me give you an idea.

This is Rift: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

This is Wildstar: http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

tl;dr both are in terminal decline

Three times as many people are playing the janky unfinished Conan game where you can watch your dingus flop majestically in the breeze than are playing both Wildstar and Rift combined.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Three times as many people are playing the janky unfinished Conan game where you can watch your dingus flop majestically in the breeze than are playing both Wildstar and Rift combined.

tbf that's just the numbers for people playing through steam. It's probably more like 2x the number are playing the floppy conan dick game

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
So, this weekend you get the latest (?) expansion for FREE if you log in plus some other goodies. Not sure if anyone still plays this game though.

EDIT - http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2017/05/10/free-expansion-weekend-may-10-14/

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well that's a good thing, the barrier of entry for people to try the game again is so high that they are killing themselves.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
You too can run around four incredibly washed out, uninspired biomes with questing that won't even take you to max level unless you use experience potions. For free!

Enjoy a forest! And... a swampy forest! A desert! And lava world! All of this with the most bland and uninspired kill/collect quests you've ever done!

... seriously, what happened to this game?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's 6 years old, not everything is WoW, and it got suckered in to going F2P years into the life cycle of a game.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't help that to be competitive that you have to buy the other souls, so for a $0 game you kind of need to spend $40-80. Not sure if the exact amount. Like the death and life expansion they had, almost all the boss fights had no safe zones for melee. So you were forced to used the warrior ranged soul in all bosses.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

desudrive posted:

You too can run around four incredibly washed out, uninspired biomes with questing that won't even take you to max level unless you use experience potions. For free!

Enjoy a forest! And... a swampy forest! A desert! And lava world! All of this with the most bland and uninspired kill/collect quests you've ever done!

yeah seriously this. the problem I had with the game wasn't gameplay itself, but the world is really loving bland and uninspired. it's one of the least interesting game settings i've ever played, both visually and in terms of writing.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Agreed. The base game and Storm Legion had fantastic zones in my opinion. Nightmare Tide not so much. And the latest one just feels like they gathered a bunch of assets and threw them around on a map. Seriously uninspired.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

desudrive posted:

Terminal decline aka the Trion Worlds touch.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Gave it a try for a few hours (honestly, a few more than it probably earned). What really turned me off was when I realized that they only give you three bag slots to start, and juuuuust not quite enough of the premium currency to unlock a fourth. Oh, and a LOT of the "thanks for joining/playing/being a patron!" rewards took the form of crap that took up even more of my bag space. Felt really scummy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I always felt like a big problem with the game was how buggy all the raids were and their loose stance on punishing exploiters but I think a lot of it was that they were never prepared to deal with the inevitable trickle-out of subscribers from launch/storm legion and went too hard on trying to cash in immediately on the F2P conversion.

Also I look back on chat between top guilds from around Storm Legion's first tier (didn't play really competitively before that) and we were all pretty lovely to each other.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good news!

http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

The population boom experienced due to people logging on to claim their temporarily free expansion crashed to a halt the moment the free expansion stopped being handed out, and only a few days later is rapidly dropping back to normal levels.

Great job Trion! :thumbsup:

It's almost like the product is objectively bad or something but what do I know, I'm just some dumb person on the internet.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I couldn't bother myself to waste my unlimited bandwidth to download the game to claim whatever they were giving out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

I couldn't bother myself to waste my unlimited bandwidth to download the game to claim whatever they were giving out.

Well free garbage is still garbage so you made the right call.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I really liked the PvP in this game at launch. It was pretty fun to basically play Fire Mage, Only Still Good well after they had destroyed wow's fire mage post Wrath of the Lich King. Also all the cleric healers and chloromancers were pretty fun to play.

rip this dead rear end game.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Archon/Fire Mage was the best ever. And yeah, Chloromancer is really cool and I want more "apply damage to heal" healers in mmos.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Minrad posted:

I really liked the PvP in this game at launch. It was pretty fun to basically play Fire Mage, Only Still Good well after they had destroyed wow's fire mage post Wrath of the Lich King. Also all the cleric healers and chloromancers were pretty fun to play.

Riftstalker shenanigans on the CTF map was the dumbest poo poo and I loved it. You'd be halfway across the map the second you touched the flag.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

Oh launch Rift was pretty great. So many people having fun, things to do, well channeled content, etc.
Me spending weeks as a stealth saboteur planting bombs on leveling guardians just to blow them up while they fought mobs.

But that was 6 years ago and that isn't coming back.

^ I was a Port Scion enthusiast and fondly remember the slug fests on the bridge and streets. Great place for a hybrid cleric back before those were eliminated in some fun police skills pass.

Modern Rift is like seeing some childhood TV celebrity you fondly remember in a filthy alleyway, lying on flattened cardboard boxes with a trail of needle marks down both arms.

"Hey kid, spare thirty bucks for an expansion?" *starts cackling then breaks into an unhealthy cough*

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 21, 2017

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Apparently Trion put out some sort of survey to a few people asking what they think about a vanilla/challenge server.

Thoughts?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Vanilla was pretty good when I started at least although I hear it used to be really hard to farm for shoes.

Also they should leave in the ~mathematically impossible~ version of akylios :evilbuddy:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

if they left in the current wardrobe system I could maybe see myself trying this out for a bit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vanilla Rift was great but mostly for the OG Impaired Judgement/Everything is Fine crew and we've all gone our separate ways since then.

Fond memories of hating ourselves/each other in HK. Sicaron pre-nerf. :getin:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i remember an akylios legendary being given to someone who left the guild the next day

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember that for Akylios because by the time we killed akylios everyone was just burning out of the game but I do remember something about that for the Greenscale legendary hammer.

Mostly because that was the guy who told me to start playing in the first place and then he transferred off.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 25, 2017

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The line that my mii on my 3ds uses to greet people when I streetpass is a line my guild master used one night to describe a burn phase: "Flip a nutcrack!"

I think it was the final phase of Ituziel.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I got into Rift a little late. I think it was the first free trial and I leveled a Necromancer because it was super fun. When I hit max level the Goon guild let me tag along for a few raids, though I can't even remember which ones they were. I was asked to play Chloro though I never played it so I'm pretty sure I was awful. I played off and on for a while and eventually the guild was dead so I moved to Greybriar.

I've always found myself coming back to the game even though it's been a slow downward spiral. It's a shame that the expansion turned out the way it did or I could see myself raiding again.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'd be all over them resetting the whole game to back when it was actually good.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

desudrive posted:

Apparently Trion put out some sort of survey to a few people asking what they think about a vanilla/challenge server.

Thoughts?

Worth it just to play the original duracell cleric build again. The whole concept of needing tons of enemies around you in order to survive was so fun.

It'll probably just end up being depressing, but it's not like I've ever resisted Trion's bait attempts before. Why start now.... :negative:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

desudrive posted:

Thoughts?
I'd kill a guy to revisit the days when Rift was good, but I can't imagine enough people are willing to come back to make that work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Oh to relive the glory of my Shoe Insole baron days

• Locked thread