Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On that note... I appear to have 20,350 total credits available.

I guess I should finish leveling my cleric from 50 to 60 some time. I predict a lot more carnage quests, I think I've forgotten how to level efficiently in this game :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Quite glad I missed the initial rush after F2P went live, I think I got everything except the ice lizard mount (known issue) and I blew a fair amount of free store tokens playing fantasy barbie without any missing purchases or other issues.

Tempted to just blow them all on whatever because I'm this close to getting that elite portrait. I think I'll get a fancy purple trinket when I look more closely tomorrow.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zoness posted:

It's probably because trion neglects the poo poo out of clerics and won't be making a major change to cleric until 2.4

Well I just got a cleric to 60 after not having played much since before SL was a thing. I still like the class enough to play it, but I'm cognisant that warriors/rogues generally make better tanks/DPS while mages DPS/heal better. Or at least that's how it was back during HK/ID anyway and I can't imagine things have changed that much. The mantra was 1-2 clerics maximum in a 20 man back then, if I recall correctly.

Good for generally mucking about though and I do still like the class.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When storm legion was first a thing I abandoned my level 50 raid geared defiants to level a fresh guardian cleric to 60, just because I could. Of course I've never raided with it or heck, even done any of the new dungeons yet. One day I'll get around to it I suppose.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I grabbed a few rows of artifacts, even finished off 3 sets! Still several rows remaining though, I tried...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This game is functionally dead for goons but I'm kind of bored, haven't played in basically forever and want to leech off our guild perks like bonus token, etc.

I've already got my Ye Olde characters in Goon Squad on Deepwood but since they're all HODOR I can't invite my new alt "Vilewight". If anyone who still plays could toss that character an invite I'd appreciate it because I'd rather hang out in a nearly dead guild than a pubbie one.

Got the invite - cheers.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 28, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not trying to revive a dead thread about a dying 5 year old MMO run by the Worst(tm) MMO company in the slightest but I would like to warn any potential new player what you would be getting into:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-...voidstones.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rift/comments/42pyk8/earring_slots_and_planewalker_water_to_be_put/

In their latest cash grab Trion have put gear slots strictly behind the paywall. Previously you could grind them out using in game currency. No longer.

Also a number of players have been getting banned wholesale for being remotely negative about this change, or even discussing this change. If you played Archeage and saw Trion doing their heavy handed censorship thing you already know what to expect.

Anyway prospective players, by all means try Rift. Just don't complain about anything you experience because you really should know better by now when that Trion logo flashes up :v:

(don't play any Trion games, seriously)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Are the new classes and such still expensive as gently caress? Is the expansion content after Storm Legion still a loving pain in the balls unless you shell out 60$?

Doesn't matter because the next expansion (Starfall) raises the level cap and also costs money so it's a B2P barrier to any endgame level content in a F2P game that was originally subscription only. Also yes all that poo poo still costs money.

So you'll need to spend the price of a couple full price AAA games on steam just to unlock all the expansion content, souls, gear slots, etc in a freemium MMO. That might sounds acceptable to you but it's an older MMO now so just be certain you're ok with a minimal playerbase once that expansion hits because the days of multiple raids worth or people rocking up to zone events etc died off years ago.

To put numbers on this anyone who isn't coughing up at least forty bucks won't be participating in post-starfall endgame content at all so good luck with that if that was your goal.

Also post Starfall there will be precisely 3 zones, 2 dungeons and 0 (zero) raids so lol endgame.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

It's a company desperately trying to keep a 6? year old game self sufficient since idiot gamers demanded subs models go away. And look where that got us? Begging for fair sub model games like FFXIV.

Nah. They're desperately trying to keep it alive long after it's time has passed so all the monetization is aimed at squeezing what players are left instead of attracting new ones.

It's old, buggy and there are plenty of better products available in an already overcrowded market. The only way forwards for Rift is down regardless of what Trion does.

If you were a completely fresh MMO player why would you choose Rift over anything else at this point? It sure wouldn't be the lore, gameplay or content. Or the price.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asehujiko posted:

What's this about the new expansion pack having 3 zones, 2 dungeons and no raid? A quick glance at the website shows 5 zones/unknown amount of dungeons/1 raid, or is that info outdated/wrong?

It's Trion so you should really know by now not take what they claim at face value.

In a live stream a while back (which I only know about because I was listening to a YouTuber's comments) they admitted that both the zones and raid would not be finished at "launch" of Starfall and yes, the number of dungeons is two (2). Maybe it was 4 zones complete - whatever the total is they're going to be at least one short.

In that same live stream they answered exactly zero questions from their viewers too, which was telling.

tl;dr Trion lied again. What a shocker!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

My big thing is the new classes all being pretty drat expensive.

When you have basically the same population as Wildstar and the same trends you have to milk the punters where you can.
Rift: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120
Wildstar: http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

My guess is the majority of those remaining in both are people operating on sunk cost fallacy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wildstar's monetization is probably less annoying and exploitative, though.

I'm pretty sure you can at least reach max level and do whatever passes for endgame content in Wildstar without spending the price of a AAA game too. Not so in this Trion product.

WARNING: MATH

First let's make some assumptions if you want to ever do "endgame" in Rift.:

1) You're going to want earring slots because of course you don't want empty gear slots. If you had empty slots you'd expect to get kicked from groups.
2) You're going to want all the additional souls for your class because raid content will be tuned around you having them (I don't know this for sure but this is Trion so I think my guess is probably accurate)
3) You're going to want to buy population dive inevitability starfall prophecy because otherwise you simply can't reach max level and will have to stay in the old dead zones with empty dungeons.

Let's price this up shall we?

1) Earrings are about $20 I think (I'm not downloading the client again to check)
2) Souls come in bundles by expansion (not by class) so you have to buy the lot. Ascended Soul DLC $35, Storm Legion DLC $30, Nightmare Tide DLC $60
Or you can just buy the "suckerRift Ultimate Edition" for a mere $150 which includes all of the above, some minor cosmetic poo poo and a mount.

3) The next expansion which is introducing the hard B2P cap on reaching endgame (Starfall Prophecy) is $40 and not included in the $150 ultimate edition.

All up if you want to come back to Rift after Starfall Prophecy hits and raid or something you're looking at forking over approximately $190.
:thumbsup:

I have no idea what anything in Wildstar costs so someone else will have to do that part of a comparison.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So basically Rifts now costs over twice the price of ESO Gold Edition :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Can you not still buy Trion funbux with in game cash? It's been a while since I played but I recall getting the new classes by just paying in game gold for the plex coupons or whatever they're called.

An excellent question. Technically yes but practically no.

F2P players have a 2.5k platinum cap. A quick search found me this:
http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/477908-5000-plat-cap-f2p-player.html

So as of February 2016 (that post) REX had inflated to about 4k each from the original price of around 800 plat when there was still a player population to speak of during storm legion.
You cannot get enough in game cash (ever) to actually afford to buy one unless you've already spent real money to unlock your in game currency cap.

If that's your plan then I wish you good luck and hope they're even still on the market after you've spent a few months doing nothing but grinding plat :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sudbina posted:

How is the population for this? Haven't played it in years.

Let me give you an idea.

This is Rift: http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

This is Wildstar: http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

tl;dr both are in terminal decline

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

desudrive posted:

... seriously, what happened to this game?

Terminal decline aka the Trion Worlds touch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good news!

http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

The population boom experienced due to people logging on to claim their temporarily free expansion crashed to a halt the moment the free expansion stopped being handed out, and only a few days later is rapidly dropping back to normal levels.

Great job Trion! :thumbsup:

It's almost like the product is objectively bad or something but what do I know, I'm just some dumb person on the internet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

I couldn't bother myself to waste my unlimited bandwidth to download the game to claim whatever they were giving out.

Well free garbage is still garbage so you made the right call.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

I really liked the PvP in this game at launch. It was pretty fun to basically play Fire Mage, Only Still Good well after they had destroyed wow's fire mage post Wrath of the Lich King. Also all the cleric healers and chloromancers were pretty fun to play.

rip this dead rear end game.

Oh launch Rift was pretty great. So many people having fun, things to do, well channeled content, etc.
Me spending weeks as a stealth saboteur planting bombs on leveling guardians just to blow them up while they fought mobs.

But that was 6 years ago and that isn't coming back.

^ I was a Port Scion enthusiast and fondly remember the slug fests on the bridge and streets. Great place for a hybrid cleric back before those were eliminated in some fun police skills pass.

Modern Rift is like seeing some childhood TV celebrity you fondly remember in a filthy alleyway, lying on flattened cardboard boxes with a trail of needle marks down both arms.

"Hey kid, spare thirty bucks for an expansion?" *starts cackling then breaks into an unhealthy cough*

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's nice to dream about playing an actual good game.

But this is the Rift thread so it's only a dream. Also it's 2017 - time to move on folks.

• Locked thread