Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Oraculum Animi posted:

I will be coming back to this game when it becomes F2P. Hopefully I won't be missing out too much by not having the expansion.

You can get the expansion for free using the Raptr rewards.

http://raptr.com/game/Rift/rewards/rift-storm-legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Wow, there are a lot of people in the newbie zones now. Chasing events is so fun.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I've played this to lv 21 now, and uh. Does this ever change? Because so far the rifts are worse than WAR public quests, the zone events are like GW2 events but worse, and the combat consists mostly of mashing all your instant abilities. I did the first dungeon too, and my "tanking" was just spamming my basic cleave ability until everyone else killed the mobs. Does the game ever become more complicated/harder?

Simple answer is yes, it does get better. Stonefield's atmosphere really sold me on this game and the instant adventures there are challenging if you're lower leveled than the group. The intro area is by far the easiest the game gets.

The invasion events get better too (Iron Pine Peaks gets a lot of the good ones) and the invasion bosses actually need to get tanked.

Tanking isn't very fun for dungeons though. You'll have more fun healing or dpsing.

The best part about Rift is that it's a little bit of everything - fun dynamic events and a wide variety of classes (holy trinity) which makes for fun group dynamics.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Pretty good podcast in case you guys are curious about the F2P conversion:

http://mmoreporter.com/2013/05/16/rift-reporter-episode-76-free-to-play-whaaa/

Looks like the main reason for the decision was not short term financials, but wanting to make the game community better in the long term.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Anyone know if this is the type of thing they may refresh the keys on? At least before I uninstall raptr?

They have before... many, many times. It's basically a way for early access to F2P.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

In case Raptr doesn't refill though, the base game is only 9.95 on Gamersgate. Should tide you guys over until June 12th.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RIFT/rift

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

lsp posted:

Reasons to join GoonSqad/Everything is Fine@deepwood? New players are encouraged to liberate the guild bank of all of their free offerings:

Do we need a specific guild rank to be able to withdraw?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Thanks for the help guys.

So I think I know what the answer will be, but are the lvl 50 Experts and Raids not worth doing for a fresh 50 with Storm Legion? My brain is telling me that I'm missing out on Ember Isles and fun content, but the powergamer is telling me to do GHRs until 60.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Erdricks posted:

I just did IAs, dungeons, and WFs. I don't think I ever left Meridian after I got there at level 10 or so.

You did 50-60 using IA/dungeon/WFs?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Vermain posted:

WFs at the least are actually pretty fast EXP, and I generally found them more engaging than the regular content.

What are the daily missions for WF? I was always confused about that and the crafting dailies?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I try to make it. I haven't seen any of the raid content yet and it'll be fun to kill monsters with goons.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Yeah, everything sounds like pay for convenience as opposed to Pay 2 Win. That said, you get question of whether MMO grind lovely by design or because companies want the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How's the questing in Nightmare Tide? I didn't really enjoy the Storm Legion expansion and couldn't get past level 52 before getting stumped. Is Nightmare Tide more fun?

• Locked thread