Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Came back to this game a few days ago out of curiosity and boredom.
The last time I played was about 1 and a half years ago, somewhere around Hammerknell just getting released.
I have to say, I'm absolutely amazed by the changes/additions. I hit level cap last time and then got bored/burned out before I managed to go on a raid with anyone. Now, even without the SL content (which so far is pretty awesome) they've added a TON of stuff to do and have changed things around ALOT (in only good ways).
Just the dimension system alone pretty much blew me away. And the goons in this game are just as awesome as I remember, many of the guys who were there back in the day came back/are still here now it seems (I was in the old Belmont Defiant guild). If you're on the fence, I'd say give it a shot and check it out, you'll probably be surprised how far this game has come.

The only crappy thing/complaint I have is that they destroyed my cleric spec (duracell) that used to be the awesomest "hit-the-i-win-button" thing I'd ever seen in an MMO.
Fortunately though there are still good specs for cleric I found out.
After wading through the horrible mess that is the official guide forums (really, it's disappointingly nigh-impossible to figure out wtf is going on if you're new/returning) I finally dug up this gem and made sense of it:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gen...oe-monster.html
http://www.rifthead.com/stc/0mosfVx0VMvltVgkfRfuVuRv922

In the small amount of time I've played it so far (50-51, mix of old and SL content, I have no gear worth talking about/nothing special) it is even better than the old duracell.
This one takes about 4 buttons, but you're pretty much as close to invulnerable as it gets.
If you're playing a higher-level cleric and dying or getting bored, give that a shot and see what you think, I'm having a blast!

Also just a side note, if you're leveling a new cleric, that build won't become viable until mid 30s to level 40, the 17 points in cabalist are the most crucial to the build, so if you're deciding where to put your points before level cap, don't skimp on cabalist, fill that one first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Concurred posted:

Sweet. So if I played the game forever ago, but not through Steam, do I just have to leave the patcher open through Steam to accumulate hours? Or do I actually need to play?

From previous posts in the thread, I believe you have to be in the game to start the timer (past the character select screen, actually standing in the world in game), though once you've done that you should be able to just AFK it, and when the game auto-disconnects you can leave it open on the "you have been disconnected" and it will still rack up time.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Hey guys, Rohypnotist Stampybro here. Class is more or less over and Planetside 2 is pissing me off royally so I'm thinking of making a return! Is the game still out and out baller like before? Does Trion still own? What's the advice you'd give to a Cleric coming in who hasn't played since 1.9? Who went out really enjoying tanking and not wanting to re-learn 4 healing trees :)

Download, play, get all your stuff together and remember just how disorganized and half-done everything was before you left.
Then play around a tiny bit with some of your old quests you surely left unfinished, to remember what the combat was like.
The go check out a few builds for the prefered style of play you're looking for (solo, leveling, tank, healer, dps, etc.)
You didn't mention what level you were when you left, so I'll assume cap.
Before you get your bearings back, if you enter SL you'll probably get killed alot, feel very weak/powerless, die alot, and get frustrated.
If you don't at least dip your toes in the water before reading about builds, especially as cleric, you're likely to feel really overwhelmed at how much more complicated the current builds *SEEM* to be.

I learned all these lessons the hard way after coming back from 1.5+year hiatus. Literally spent 2 days (albeit half-assed and distracted) dicking around the capital city or just outside the gates remembering what the hell I was doing when I stopped playing, and getting things ready to try all this awesome Storm Legion stuff.

And of course my quest log was completely full with quests that I wanted to do (seemed to be decent rewards) and had no clue if I'd ever find again, so that took a bit of time to work down a little. However I used it as a great opportunity to actually put into practice/try out these insane cleric builds that *SEEMED* alot more difficult than my awesome 2 win-buttons Duracell.

If you need help, guild chat always seems active at most any time and post back here in the thread, I or someone else will try to help out.
Good luck!

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I loved me some puri/sent but going full healer probably isn't wise considering I'd also like to get into the main story quests on the new continents.

For dps I used...well, not much because Cleric dps was underwhelming at the time. I think I mostly used cabalist or inquisitor or that one where you'd spam staff attacks and get healed by the damage you did.

Basically, what's the best leveling dps build right now? Hopped on for a few tonight to get a feel for things and man have the skill trees blown up. I'm half tempted to just start fresh now that all my gear will be outdated soon no matter what I do.

Guardians and Defiants can be in the same guild now? Maybe I'll roll a gay high elf with their weird jumping skill and see what leveling is like on the other side.

The problem (as far as my ridiculous amount of no life research I've done has found) with cleric leveling builds right now is there's no real consensus on "the best", this also bummed me out.
I miss the old days where everyone who played cleric agreed on one specific build as the best of all for leveling. I prefer simplicity and consensus!
For leveling there's basically 3 options, each having trade-offs. There's good for single-target, there's good for AoE, and there's good for if you like dealing with pets.

Try this guide:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/cleric-guides/349476-justicar-leveling-guide.html

It is OVERLY extensive, however now that you've gotten your feet wet most of it should make sense. This was the only posted build that sounded very promising that I didn't get to try. At the time I went looking the dude hadn't finished updating the builds/guide for SL content, which was what I needed. Looks like now he's gone back and finished it all out for the most recent patch (you can see the edit dates/times in the OPs). The guide was first created many patches ago, so the first couple of pages of replies are outdated, look towards the last page for recent feedback.
This one seems to have the best mix of ST and AoE DPS with good survivability and no damned pet.
If you don't mind a pet, there's a great druid-based leveling build I can link you to, it has good feedback, however it suffers from the same problem (personal critique) of having more buttons than I play Rift to think about.
This build seems like it has the best ability to half-think and watch netflix or something while working through quests, that's an important part for me at least.
If that doesn't work for you or you want to try something different/different style let me know more what you're looking for leveling wise and I'll dig something good up for you.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
To clarify, for cleric leveling, especially under 50, druid is GREAT! The only real downside is pet use, which is simply a personal pet peeve. If you don't mind using a pet, then here's the community standard leveling druid build/guide:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/cleric-guides/350701-solo-druid-inq-guide.html

edit: to the above poster:
I completely agree! That was the main reason I linked you that guide.
I know when I first started Rift as a cleric I followed a guide similar to that in content and depth and without something similar I probably wouldn't have stuck it out to level cap, at least not with cleric.
Unfortunately now coming back I searched and searched for something similar with as much consensus as had been in the past and it seems people just arent making guides with that depth anymore, at least not for cleric that I could find.

Reasonerr fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2013

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So they've said that people that bought the year subscription for the free expansion will get $50 in cash shop credit, have they said if we'll have patron status until that year is up as well?

When the F2P conversion happens, subscribers are being renamed "patrons". It's functionally the exact same thing, just a name change.

So if when the changeover happens you're subscribed until X Date, you will not be a "patron" until that X Date. Nothing about that is changing.

Hope that answered the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Oh yeah, also:

Wow, that's cool and pretty nice of them. It's unfortunate I just recently resubbed. I'm hoping that the patron's benefits will be worth keeping a sub going. I love that they seem to have an extremely player friendly business model, but it might be so much so that I don't want/need to sub any more after the change. I'd feel pretty bad not subbing in that case, but I'd also feel stupid staying subbed. Dunno what I'm going to do.

• Locked thread