Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Mystery Prize posted:

Quit this game forever ago, time to try it again. In as Aldari.

What's a good cleric leveling spec these days, preferably melee?

Easiest way to level a melee cleric is by going at least 44 into druid. The other souls are up to you. If you want to be invincible but kill slowly put points into justicar, and if you want to kill fast but die every so often put points into shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Mystery Prize posted:

Is ranged faster/easier?

Druid mixed with inquisitor is going to be faster all around, but you will be shooting bolts of judgement as apposed to strikes of judgement.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

Reasonerr posted:

Try this guide:
http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/classes-telara/class-guides/cleric-guides/349476-justicar-leveling-guide.html

It is OVERLY extensive, however now that you've gotten your feet wet most of it should make sense. This was the only posted build that sounded very promising that I didn't get to try. At the time I went looking the dude hadn't finished updating the builds/guide for SL content, which was what I needed. Looks like now he's gone back and finished it all out for the most recent patch (you can see the edit dates/times in the OPs). The guide was first created many patches ago, so the first couple of pages of replies are outdated, look towards the last page for recent feedback.
This one seems to have the best mix of ST and AoE DPS with good survivability and no damned pet.
If you don't mind a pet, there's a great druid-based leveling build I can link you to, it has good feedback, however it suffers from the same problem (personal critique) of having more buttons than I play Rift to think about.
This build seems like it has the best ability to half-think and watch netflix or something while working through quests, that's an important part for me at least.
If that doesn't work for you or you want to try something different/different style let me know more what you're looking for leveling wise and I'll dig something good up for you.

Not to rain on your parade, but if you use a justicar build for the sole purpose of leveling your doing it very very wrong. The most you should probably ever go in justicar for leveling is 16 in order to get your AoE strike but even thats kind of excessive. Your better off going full defiler, full inquisitor, or full shaman which are all better options than justicar.

I can understand why people dont like pets, unfortunately if your not using a druid pet for leveling your really gimping yourself in terms of killing speed and survivabilty when leveling a cleric. With the druid build that i used to level with i had a macro for single target, a macro for aoe, a macro for ranged, and i bound vex to my Q button for easy pulling.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

mr. nazi posted:

Seconding a druidicar build for cleric levelling (my experience with it was 50+); your tank pet ae taunts, and you can give yourself a buff that makes your pet AE on every hit it lands. Tank pet is easymode/AE, you'll never die unless you aren't paying attention at all.

For IA/rifts you can use a group-healing pet, or an AE caster pet or for single mobs a single target dps pet. It's very versatile and all you have to do to manage the pet is have 'pet attack' and 'pet passive' abilities on hotkeys somewhere so you can force it to back off of everything when needed, or force it to attack a specific thing. Otherwise, left to do it's own thing your pet attacks what you attack or what attacks you and doesn't take much management.

Just as a side note on this, druids dont become the grinding AoE beasts they are known to be until you can put 44 into druid. Spirit of upheaval(44 points) along with Aid of the Forest(36 points) make any encounter laughably easy. I suggest going Druid to 44 points with Inquisitor taking the rest of the points leftover. The 3rd soul can then be used for salvation at zero points in justicar or what i did, zero points into shaman for vengeance of the winter storm buff. I found i wasnt going below 95% health on any fight so the shaman zero point buff just made killing faster by adding straight damage to every attack.

Edit: If anyone wants my macros or to see my soul tree showing where i dropped my points just let me know and i will post them when i get home from work.

Beach Party fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

Best rogue leveling build i found was Nightblade/Rift Stalker/Tact.

First four points you get go into tactician for Curative engine buff, then work up to 8 points in rift stalker for boosted recovery. After that, every point goes into Nightblade with your leftover points filling out the rest of rift stalker.

The build at 50: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/betaStorm2012#wkkGaii8D4/Tf/tr555i

Edit: You can replace Nightblade with any other damage soul and get close to the same results. I like nightblade since you can macro just about everything so you dont even need to look at the screen while leveling up. Also the level 40 nightblade skill is one of the best skills you can get in the game. A 50% heal over 4 seconds every 2 minutes? Yes please.

Beach Party fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 26, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

Kenny Rogers posted:

50-60 is not a Leveling Spec For New Players. :colbert:
You didn't link it!

Right now, I'm leveling Justicar simply because every other goddamn guide out there either:
A) Assumes you're coming back, are starting at 50, and know what the gently caress.
B) Doesn't have any detail about what to expect as you power through each section of levels. It just lumps the full build on you and says "build this" with no guidance as to what's useful/important/key to get or key to avoid.

Cleric leveling to 50 made super simple! 16 points into justicar will make you pretty much invincible while leveling up since every attack will give you health and you will have a spammable self heal whenever you need it.

Level 10: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrhvVuo

Level 20: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrxMdvAubz0z

Level 30: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrlVdx00ovAubz0z

Level 40: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrlVdxzzsbzcMvAubz0z

Level 50: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmqfrlVdxszsbzcGovAubz0zvV0z

Start by pulling mobs to you with vex and try to gather 5, use grim silence if one is ranged to bring it into melee range. Use Combined effort on cooldown then Strike of Judgement for your main single target attack, even justice for your AoE. The pet your going to be using is the Satyr, be sure to cast righteous mandate on it. If it looks like the pet is going to die, just re-summon a new one which will only take 2 seconds to cast. If your fighting an elite, go ahead and drop thorns and eruption of life on it for added dps, otherwise dont worry about those skills.

This is the easy route to level 50. Me personally, i would respec at level 36 out of justicar and put the points into inquisitor instead. You maintain good survivabilty but gain much better dps.

Beach Party fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 27, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

Tunga posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Alternatively, since your survivability will already be extremely high just by being bard, you could drop rift stalker and tactician completely and pick up blade dancer instead. Blade dancers passive abilities will increase the damage on your bard attacks giving you comparable damage to dps specs. You still wont die but you will kill things 50% faster than RS and Tact. Just something to think about.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

Smith Comma John posted:

Does saboteur see any use in lategame? Can I at least eke out a relatively good leveling spec from it? I'm just starting out and I love sticking bombs all over dudes but it seems a little finicky for the damage output (at least at the moment, haven't got the AE charges yet). I have to say though, getting the ability to attach 5 charges without aggro is pretty hilarious.

Saboteur is hilarious for onslaught farming in Pelladane. Does huge damage to groups of mobs and you can kill off a unsuspecting member of your raid or party every 30 seconds with the incriminate skill. I use one spam macro and a button for detonate which you only press once every 15 seconds or so. Just try not to kill off the passive healers in your group since the build has no survivabilty at all and you need the constant healing of the chloromancers, bards, and justicars to keep you alive.

The macro:
cast carpet bombing
cast annihilation bomb
cast cloud maker
cast fragmentation bomb
cast time bomb
cast splinter bomb
cast embers bomb
cast rapid setup
cast caltrop charge

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

So what is up with the gear and stat scaling when it comes to mentoring for dungeons? I queued up for a standard pre 50 dungeon at level 55 on my rogue to get used to running a full rift stalker build before hitting 60 and i was getting my rear end handed to me by pretty much every trash pull. Do i need to be in epic level tanking gear equivalent to level 55 to be able to mitigate damage decently at level 46? Back when i played before i ran all the expert dungeons just fine but after wiping a few times on trash pulls in standard lantern hook has me scratching my head. Im pretty sure the healer in the group would've rather had an actual level 46 in green gear since his stats would probably be higher than my mentored rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

I could also use an invite on my dwarf, Ptchoo!

• Locked thread