Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I guess patrons have a priority queue. Only 21 people for derpwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you're getting error 2024, just keep trying. It'll eventually work.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's almost like launch day :3:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mr. nobody posted:

If your first experience with a game you haven't played or haven't played in a while is a screen that says "sorry wait 2 hours thanks", it's a negative first experience. Even if it means so many people are playing that they have to stagger logins, that's not how I feel staring at a queue screen.

edit: it's not 2 hours for me, and I'm gonna just take the night off and make some cookies and watch a movie instead, there's just that side of it that maybe isn't being thought about

That's basically every person's experience for any MMO launch.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deimos posted:

Yeah but we're not with Wolfsbane which means no more raiding!

If we had raids at good times (like 6PM EST) we're probably have a lot more people who'd be willing to. Speaking for myself, starting at 9EST is too late (I'm old :stat:)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope PVP gets a HUGE overhaul. It really needs it. (It Won't :negative:)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't think the new WFs are giving bonuses at the end :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I must've gotten merc'd like 15 times last night. Facking no skill guardians. Nwf pointed out something interesting. Everyone seems to be running around with 19-20k HP in PVP. Such easy kills.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get out posted:

I need a ranged spec for my Rogue. Is Tactician something that has a 3-4 button macro-heavy/zero effort build? I just want to stand back, hold my own in experts/raids, and pew pew.

61 Ranger 15 RS or whatever you want really, shits out damage. Macro Animalism and Feral Aggression to your Twin Shot macro. I'm usually doing 6.5-6.7k DPS by mashing a couple of buttons.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kreczor posted:

Someone....someone likes my name!:woop:

Default unit frames? Shameful :shobon: Get some Gadgets son!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kreczor posted:

It looks like butts. :colbert:

I don't really like the gadget frames but maybe I'll give it a shot when I have time to set it up.

It's really highly customizable. There should be something in there that looks good for you. The raid frames are also really good, and if you get Gadget Buffs you can get some really sweet buff bars going ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Those rogue changes :D :D :D

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Buy a poo poo ton of boxes, sell the runes and stuff for crazy profit, never pay money for patron ever again.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Like 1/2 his posts have been asking for invites into various goon guilds. What a cute pubbie spy trying to steal all our goon secrets.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Warriors are the new rogues, in so much as crying about "being the worst class".

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Another PVP Rank + bullshit token grind. Thanks Trion, definitely not playing this game anymore.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

I mean, if you enjoy pvp then it's not really a grind. If you don't enjoy it, then why would you be doing it anyways? Enjoy FFXIV, the game free of grinds!

I enjoy the PVP, but the grind has gotten ridiculous. Zero innovation,.just adding 10 new levels and a new gear grind.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vandiar posted:

I don't know why you would expect anything different Its been the same thing in PvP since the game was released, and if Conquest was their best attempt at innovation they should probably just spend what dev time they have on other content. PvP will never be more than a brief afterthought.

There was hope, but now that that's gone I won't be playing anymore :).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Priam posted:

High TTK is boring and no one wants to play PVP like that, which is why it's where it's at now. The gameplay has to be great (it isn't, it's fun, but not great) and extremely high TTK fucks over objective based warfronts anyway, since players on opposing teams need to be killed to cap points/return stones/whatever else, and if all of the people whining about "high TTK" got their way, the first team to cap whatever point would hold it for the duration of the match, and objective based warfronts would effectively be dead.

Mana pools/regeneration is already ridiculous and there are few counters to that (which hardly anyone plays, like dom), if TTK was higher no one would ever die as long as you stacked 3 or 4 decent healing souls on your team.

This game still has a VERY high TTK when factored into group play and can border on infinite depending on great healers and weak DPS. I still think that healing in PVP needs to be tuned lower by another 15-20%. GW2 has a great TTK in both 1v1 and group situations. This is a generalization, of course.

They also need to bring by hybrid builds so I can at least play the "crazy spec theory craft game" with ndub ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FunkyFlashman posted:

I think it should be pretty obvious that heals balanced versus raidbosses with millions of hp and tons of dps won't be balanced against much smaller targets like enemy players.

edit, to Zoness: Well great, if they have such a function already then they could tune it more then :P

That's exactly what I said. :confused:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Has anything interesting been added in the last couple of months? Have they at all bothered with making PVP more fun and less grindy? I don't care about PVE/RAID stuff at all.

Edit: Just looked on the RIFT PVP forums :negative: and was honestly surprised to see the majority of people saying that PVP is dead and buried which is quite the change. So that answer that.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 6, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

Nothing in 2.5 for pvp really, and I'm not sure what 2.6 will have. We will probably start to see 2.6 things hit the PTS now that the holidays are over. They like to have focused patches though, and so probably won't have a pvp focused one until pvp dimensions are ready to go.

It's not even that I'm looking for new content. There's a LOT of things fundamentally broken about RIFT PVP and I don't think that will ever be fixed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

When you've got limited resources, you put it towards the areas of most importance. That's not pvp in Rift. Hardcore pvp'ers have moved on to three different games by now, they are a fickle bunch. I think Trion realizes and is comfortable with Rift pvp as a side distraction from PVE.

It's unfortunate. Had a lot of good times in RIFT, and absolutely adored the class system. I came to the realization that PVP is a tiny after-thought a while ago. Played out my free one year sub that ended in Oct.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There hasn't been a good, skill based PVP MMO in forever and then some. :smith:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I... don't even know how to answer this without being snarky, sarcastic and/or just plain mean ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mr. nobody posted:

If you're saying EVE has a grind but of a different type that makes it so you literally can never catch up to someone that started playing before you did, you're right no way to say that without sounding snarky or bitter.

edit: incorrect use of literally

Edit, yes that would be one of a number of things I could say about the PVP in EVE, or EVE as a game in general. I personally found it to be a terrible game. Some people like it and I do wish that every MMO could transplant EVE's player economy.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This game was a lot of fun :sigh: I have like 1200+ hours in this fucker. Balance issues and then the horrible F2P transition really killed it. These latest changes are incredibly hilarious though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

Played this ages ago and it always ran like rear end for me. I popped by the steam page on a whim and saw 'real multicore support' -- does this in anyway fix the terrible CPU-bound performance?

No the engine is still a pile of trash in this respect.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
4k plat for REX now. HahHAHHahHahAHAhhahhaHhaHHhahhHah.

Had a lot of fun in this game at launch. Was a very pretty and atmospheric game that really tweaked my theory crafting bone. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Desmond posted:

I loved Rift at its beginnings. I played a bard, which at that time was really awesome in pvp. Then they nerfed that class and I pretty much stopped playing until at some point in time they allowed player housing and I made a neat little house on a lake. I don't remember a lot about the game at that point but farmed some kind of stuff to bring in a bartender to my house :laffo:

Tanky bard in PVP was godlike. Nothing like rocking out on the bridge while an entire warband of people tried to kill you. This game was a lot of fun in the first year of release. Very atmospheric with one of my favourite ways a MMO did classes. So much theory crafting.

• Locked thread