Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
In terms of progression, yes it does. Though there are still cosmetic reasons and achievements and such to earn in older content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Tactician, best rogue spec!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Hm. So. What do I do if I've lost my authenticator thing?

Are you without a smartphone? As you can just install the app again and restore it via login + security questions.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you uninstalled it from your old device before trying to install it on your new device, it should work. It can't be installed on multiple devices at once is the usual problem. Which since yours was stolen, was likely the problem, it's a security feature.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 16, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yup, it's generally the best for leveling.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Since we're talking pvp, which one is the dominant faction? And is it badly unbalanced?

Doesn't matter. The mercenary system means that if there is way more of one faction queuing than the other, then people from the dominant faction will be put onto the underdog team to keep queue times reasonable.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You have to buy Storm Legion or wait until tomorrow and buy the Harbinger soul. It wasn't part of the launch souls.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The games been around for over two years now with a not bad population. Free to play is going to spike that population short term, if not long term as well. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not that you even use the home city much once you hit 50, since there's a shared city with everything you need at that point.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

necrotic posted:

Harbinger is really great DPS if you can manage melee.

Pyro is still pretty good, but it's not going to be your highest DPS spec (better than Elem by quite a bit if you can hit the rotation, but less than Harb).

Necro is pretty good (especially if you need AE), though it's a pet spec.

Dominator is awesome for AE, you can poo poo out a couple million damage in a few seconds. Sadly, they are all 30 second+ cooldowns so it doesn't sustain. It's also got some useful crowd control. Also it's fun as hell in PvP.

Archon is my personal favorite (well, Pyrochon): raid support spec that can still put out decent DPS. It's really handy to have around (I actually have 2 archon specs: 40/36 and 61 for Point-to-Point).

Chloromancer is always handy.

Warlock and Elementalist are pretty much the only 2 specs not worth investing in currently. Who knows if that will change?

They are so bad about changing what specs are worthwhile or poo poo pretty much every patch. Warlock was solid when SL hit and when F2P hit and now it's back to being poo poo again apparently. They completely hosed with Chloro multiple times on whether it's supposed to be a cool damage healer or a lovely heal spamming style spec. Pyro is usually up there, but it's almost always boring as gently caress.

Applies to pretty much any class too, if you don't like most of the specs for your class, you can be in for a fun ride when a patch wrecks your favorite spec(s) and buffs the one(s) you hate.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

kzin602 posted:

Long story short, there's a disconnect between the way Chloromancer 'should' work based on intuition and the way the mechanic actually works. Are there any goons that have Cholomancers at high level that have any other wisdom to share? I'm really curious if Chloro can continue to be the main healer in 5-mans at higher levels or if I should only queue for support.

It worked how you think it works back at release. But they nerfed it so that it would be easier to keep it balanced. Ruin can also work okay as an emergency button. But yeah you can totally group heal all the way through to 60 and in experts.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Can someone toss Ayaen a guild re-invite please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The Locator posted:

UO was 1998, you should probably update your calendar. :))

It was released in 1997, and UO:R was released in 2000 which is when most PvPers think it was killed, but it was still an extremely popular PvP game for quite awhile after that. So 12 years is fair =-p DAoC was released in 2001, which was then the next big PvP game everyone still wishes every new game would be.

But yeah, low level PvP in RIFT is pretty fun, way less so at cap once you've got the silly gear grind. They've got some really well done BGs, it just becomes a huge clusterfuck of gear grinding and imbalance at the cap.

The Locator posted:

I was in the beta, and I seem to remember the development team back then being very open that with the amazing flexibility of the soul system, they would always have to balance for PVE and because of that, PVP would always be secondary.

Personally I think that this is the right decision, as I am not sure it's really possible to make a game that is fun and balanced for both.

Pretty much this though yeah. PvP or PvE suffers when they spend too much time focusing on the other. Plus people always want them to shoehorn PvP into every game (like Marvel Heroes and DDO for terrible examples).

• Locked thread