Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
izorpo
Jun 25, 2000
Lee-Enfield - Giving those bloody krauts what for since 1914.

hannibal posted:

I don't think it's this one, but when I was in OTS (9 yrs ago) I read a really interesting book from a journalist's perspective about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan where the guy was traveling around, talking to Afghan fighters, etc. I tried looking for it once before but nothing seemed to match up with what I remembered about the book.

I'm also interested in what this book might be. It sounds like Edward Girardet but I've only read his 2011 work Killing the Cranes which you could not have read nine years ago. Perhaps it was one of his earlier books though. He's got some pretty out-there stories, for example he claims to have spoken with the Arab journalists/suicide bombers the day before they assassinated Massoud. Also claims to have confronted Hekmatyar in the 80s when he found out Hekmatyar wanted him dead, then Massoud had his men shadow Girardet for weeks to protect him from Hekmatyar's goons.

izorpo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread