Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Matterhorn is loving amazing. Seriously no-poo poo go read this loving book right now amazing.

Yes. Stop what you're doing and go read this book.

OK, now that you've read it and it didn't take long, did it? Page turner, it is. Now you can go read The Things They Carried. It's a series of connected short stories that take place mostly in Vietnam. The writing is beautiful and worth the read if only for his description of the beauty of the country amidst all the death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I haven't read his other work, but I did very much enjoy his "long grey line"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

So his theory is that the War of 1812 was a big win for the US? That's interesting.

The war of 1812 was a win for the navy. Back when, there were strong feelings about standing armies and such. The opposite tradition was the militia on the village green and all that, but you couldn't exactly muster a frigate on the village green*. Warships required a huge amount capital and manpower to sustain. Once the war broke out, the navy validated its own existence.

*though you could build competing flotillas on the opposite sides of a lake like at the Battle of Plattsburgh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plattsburgh

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

suboptimal posted:

I just finished Matterhorn. Holy gently caress, what a great read that was. One of the best novels about Vietnam for sure.

One of the best novels period. This is such an amazing book, I recommend it to everyone.

• Locked thread